Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Petition/Appeal To Axl : Play Slither On The Tour
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Petition/Appeal To Axl : Play Slither On The Tour  (Read 57311 times)
bjd2944
Headliner

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »

No petition needed - suggestion to Axl and Co to play whatever the hell they want. They haven't deprived the fans so far of anything exciting. From classics, to songs that haven't been played in forever, for new takes on Chinese Democracy songs. The sets have been on point. I don't see a constant ongoing need dating back to Rock in Rio 3 to bitch, piss and fucking moan about the setlists. It gives off the illusion that you're not enjoying the shows. If you're not enjoying the shows, don't go to them. Don't watch them on YouTube. There are plenty of other ways to spend your leisure time.

We've waiting a while for this - honestly, I was 11 when the "Old Band" played their last show, so this is exciting for me. Even as someone who attended 13 "NuGNR" shows of various incarnations from Tobias, to Buckethead to Finck to Bumblefoot to Ashba, to Brain to Frank...

Let them keep doing what they're doing, and maybe in good time we'll get a few more surprises.  peace
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »

It's a GNR tour... not a fucking go between of all the bands these guys have ever played in.

I like slither.... but like a lot of other people... there is a dozen songs from GNR's catalogue we haven't heard played in ages

If they can play "The Who", "AC/DC", "Bob Dylan", "The Misfits", etc. then why not?  I think it would be cool especially because Slither is an awesome song.

I have a sense of ambivalence, and find myself torn between both of these quotes.

GNR's 1987-1991 catalog offers so much (and more so if including Chinese Democracy) that it's logical to just want them to perform within those parameters.

Then again, I'd rather hear them perform "Slither" over ANY of the covers they've recently been playing.... including the ones off of The Spaghetti Incident!
Axl&Baz07
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »

that makes zero sense to me.

it's not a GN'R song and has nothing to do with Axl. it would not be a cover from a classic band.

CD stuff IS GN'R so it makes sense that Slash would play it.

besides i do not like that song. haha

"Some People got a chip on their shoulder, an some would say it was Me..."
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »

Petitions do nothing.

And petitions to Axl do a little less than that
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »

it's not a GN'R song and has nothing to do with Axl. it would not be a cover from a classic band.

So there are rules now on what covers the band can play?
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »

I dont think there are rules on anything.

I have more of an issue with what people expect the band to do... some of the requests or ideas i have seen is pretty much just fans expecting the band to give them anything and everything.

Some of it is quite strange if you ask me.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2016, 10:09:03 PM »

Duff could play a Loaded song instead of Attitude or New Rose. 

But I don't think that the songs from Velvet Revolver or Slashs solo albums are suitable for Axl.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »

If they're to play Slash's songs, I would like to hear By The Sword, Anastasia, I Hold On...

Actually, pretty much all songs from Slash's 1st solo album are awesome to me. I think this album is much too underappreciated. It's an unbelievable album.

That being said, I don't think GNR should play Slash's or Duff's material. Actually I wish they didn't play any covers at all, besides KOHD. Even LALD I could live without
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »

If they're to play Slash's songs, I would like to hear By The Sword, Anastasia, I Hold On...

Actually, pretty much all songs from Slash's 1st solo album are awesome to me. I think this album is much too underappreciated. It's an unbelievable album.

That being said, I don't think GNR should play Slash's or Duff's material. Actually I wish they didn't play any covers at all, besides KOHD. Even LALD I could live without

They have played songs from Bumblefoot's and Tommy's solo albums as well  ok but not with Axl on lead vocals?

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2016, 10:48:54 PM »

They have played songs from Bumblefoot's and Tommy's solo albums as well  ok but not with Axl on lead vocals?

Sorry, didn't know that!

I don't think that should happen, though

Unless you're Bruce Springsteen, who plays 3 and a half hour shows, you should pretty much stick to the band's material. Otherwise it just takes time and space in the setlist
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2016, 10:55:25 PM »

Sorry, didn't know that!

Unless you're Bruce Springsteen, who plays 3 and a half hour shows, you should pretty much stick to the band's material. Otherwise it just takes time and space in the setlist

They should only play KOHD and LALD as whole songs . Other cover songs as a part of solo spots and jams.
I wouldn't miss "The Seeker".

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:57:39 PM by Sosso » Logged

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »

Sorry, didn't know that!

They should only play KOHD and LALD as whole songs . Other cover songs as a part of solo spots and jams.
I wouldn't miss "The Seeker".

i wanna hear down on the farm. Wink
Axl&Baz07
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2016, 11:27:13 PM »

it's rock n roll. no rules, period. up to them. just stating facts. VR is not a classic band. they are not The Who, or AC/DC. not even close.

i'm simply stating facts.

"Some People got a chip on their shoulder, an some would say it was Me..."
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2016, 02:31:19 AM »

Let's be real, this reunion is on Axl's terms, that's pretty clear by the fact that they're playing the friggin title track to Chinese Democracy. There is no chance in hell they'd play anything Slash has done since GNR, no matter how much we want to see it.

And if you wanna pick a song, Fall To Pieces was written while Slash was still in GNR and not used until VR. Also, the entire Snakepit debut album would have been GNR's UYI follow up if Axl didn't reject it, so let's not act like IRS is any more a legitimate GNR song than, say, Soma City Ward when they were written around the same time while both Axl and Slash were still together.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2016, 03:33:00 AM »

They should bring Sorum and Kushner back! And Axl can front VR and AC/DC! Yay! Are you fucking serious?!? Hand me the petition--I'll fucking burn it! CD songs are GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES songs, like it or not! Yeah they do other covers, mostly by iconic bands. While we're at it, let's dust off some Snakepit stuff! Sorry, I'm drinking and having a VERY shitty night, hence my extreme passion on this (I've heard it before), but this is just a stupid idea

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2016, 03:33:22 AM »

^haha nice! I liked the "Hand me the petition-I'll fucking burn it!" part.

Since we seem to be collecting various requests here, black or white by Michael Jackson featuring Slash gets my vote. Axl could nail that one! Not to mention it was a hit song and the whole crowd would already be familiar with it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:35:46 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:56 AM »

No
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2016, 07:55:41 AM »

If they can play "The Who", "AC/DC", "Bob Dylan", "The Misfits", etc. then why not?  I think it would be cool especially because Slither is an awesome song.

Bob Dylan, AC/DC, and The Misfits (Ditto New Rose by The Damned) are songs they actually recorded and released as covers on their own GnR branded albums. No?

So that really leaves "The Who" with Seeker as the only unrecorded/unreleased cover song they're currently playing as a full band and that seemed to replace Patience the 2nd night in Vegas. "Layla" and "Wish you were Here" I guess fall into this area too..but for me..those are solos (and taking the place of the unstructured solos that people hated) and there's only so much you can do while maintaining the reasons for those songs.

I think you leave Slither alone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:58:51 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »

Let's be real, this reunion is on Axl's terms, that's pretty clear by the fact that they're playing the friggin title track to Chinese Democracy. There is no chance in hell they'd play anything Slash has done since GNR, no matter how much we want to see it.
I wouldn't say that. Yes, they are playing Chinese Democracy songs. But the band lost a third guitar player and the arrangements are clearly more guitar driven with less synths and pre-recorded backing tracks such as backing vocals and drum loops. And IMHO they are playing Coma now because it's "Slash's baby" even though it's a tough song to sing.

And if you wanna pick a song, Fall To Pieces was written while Slash was still in GNR and not used until VR. Also, the entire Snakepit debut album would have been GNR's UYI follow up if Axl didn't reject it, so let's not act like IRS is any more a legitimate GNR song than, say, Soma City Ward when they were written around the same time while both Axl and Slash were still together.
IRS was a collaborative effort by several members of GNR and released as GNR. Snakepit was all Slash then handed to Gilby, Matt, Eric Dover and Mike Inez.

But hey, here's an interesting thought from another thread: if Axl would sing Fall to Pieces and/or any Snakepit (the first album) song, would you mind if he changed the lyrics and vocal melodies?

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »

Maybe for a one-off solo, I'd love to hear Slash play Ballad of Death.

1.  I really like that song.
2.  I always thought it was a song that, if Axl added lyrics to it, would easily fit in as a GNR style song.
3.  It would totally fuck with everyone's mind if Slash did a cover of an Ashba song.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: