Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Petition/Appeal To Axl : Play Slither On The Tour
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Petition/Appeal To Axl : Play Slither On The Tour  (Read 56754 times)
GazT
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »

Tonight I had some friends round my house.  We cracked out the acoustic guitars and started playing some GNR classics and went through a GNR themed jam session:  KOHD, Civil War, Sweet Child, Patience, Yesterdays... then into Fall to Pieces.  We all agreed that VR was as big a part of the GNR legacy as the Chinese Democracy band.   beer The reunion is a beautiful thing!  smoking
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:47:45 PM by GazT » Logged
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2016, 09:56:39 PM »

VR was as big a part of the GNR legacy as the Chinese Democracy band.

So you all agreed on this? Smiley Maybe a group hallucination?!

It's the first time I have read such a nonsense about VR being as important as GNR (CD-era ist still GNR) to the Guns N' Roses legacy
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2016, 02:00:29 AM »

Let's be real, this reunion is on Axl's terms, that's pretty clear by the fact that they're playing the friggin title track to Chinese Democracy. There is no chance in hell they'd play anything Slash has done since GNR, no matter how much we want to see it.
I wouldn't say that. Yes, they are playing Chinese Democracy songs. But the band lost a third guitar player and the arrangements are clearly more guitar driven with less synths and pre-recorded backing tracks such as backing vocals and drum loops. And IMHO they are playing Coma now because it's "Slash's baby" even though it's a tough song to sing.

And if you wanna pick a song, Fall To Pieces was written while Slash was still in GNR and not used until VR. Also, the entire Snakepit debut album would have been GNR's UYI follow up if Axl didn't reject it, so let's not act like IRS is any more a legitimate GNR song than, say, Soma City Ward when they were written around the same time while both Axl and Slash were still together.
IRS was a collaborative effort by several members of GNR and released as GNR. Snakepit was all Slash then handed to Gilby, Matt, Eric Dover and Mike Inez.

But hey, here's an interesting thought from another thread: if Axl would sing Fall to Pieces and/or any Snakepit (the first album) song, would you mind if he changed the lyrics and vocal melodies?

I'm not saying Axl isn't giving Slash anything, but I don't see him agreeing to anything post-GNR.

I'm sure everyone contributed, but IRS is noticeably Axl's songwriting at it's core.  And Snakepit's debut was fairly collaborative; he had the riffs from the UYI tour and didn't flesh out the actual songs until he started jamming with Sorum and Gilby. Not to mention Gilby wrote Dime Store Rock and Monkey Chow, Eric wrote most of Beggars and Hangers-On and Inez's basslines are a big part of several songs. Some of those outros were clearly the result of just jamming.

To answer the question, not at all. Hell, I would love to hear how he would have handled them differently. Take it Away and Soma City Ward are pure GNR. You can bet he wouldn't sing the lyrics it Take it Away, LOL!

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2016, 02:02:04 AM »

It's the first time I have read such a nonsense about VR being as important as GNR (CD-era ist still GNR) to the Guns N' Roses legacy

Funny, I thought Slither charted higher than anything off CD...

MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »

And your point is?
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »

LOL, that's a pretty big footnote in the legacy. Not to mention VR featured three GNR members. Don't act like you don't know you're being unreasonable.

MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2016, 02:43:23 AM »

ROFL you're kidding right? "Pretty big footnote"??

It's the same non-existing argument: VR had three ex-members. Who cares about that?
GNR and VR are two different worlds connected by musicians that played in both bands. Where would according to you "legacy impact" start and end? With three former members, with two? Does Izzy's work with other ex-members count as something that has to be included?

I think we could handle this discussion in another thread since we are on a good way to hijack this thread.

And since you don't know me, you can leave out sentences pretending that you know what I am actually thinking ("Don't act like you don't know you're being unreasonable.")
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2016, 04:24:13 AM »

Don't really think VR songs were written for Axl's style.   

Slither is a good song too..   but not something I would sign a petition to see.   

The setlists from the Vegas shows were off the charts.    Not sure VR songs really fit in.
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »

Cmon people..... ONE step first!!!!!

Petition list:

1.- Get a monster Drummer... like MATT SORUM!
2.- Get IZZY FKN STRADLIN
3.- Doing some alcohol and drugs... but not in a junky way... that was before, now are mature adults.
4.- GnR have to see RIR 1991, PRAGA 1992, Chile 1992... and more.
5.- When Axl get well... have to stay in a fukn good shape to do COMA and DONT.CRY running like a beast.
6...... NO MORE PETITIONS YET ....

1-5. NO.
6. Yes.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Annie
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »

Nope. A minor detour.
And Please no more petitions.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »

Some People 4Ever Disconform,,, Horrorific !!

no

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »

I just realized they rehearsed Perfect crime.   Shocked
Sorry - fuck Slither and everything else 😉
Play Perfect crime and Right next door to hell.
Ahhh life is sooo good right now 😉😘

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: