Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 01:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228030 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus  (Read 10933 times)
jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »

There are a lot of different aspects that make a guitar player good and it us difficult to rate a guitar player just on technical abilities.

I will say this, it is quite something when a musician can be instantly recognized just by their sound or style.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:53:42 PM by jc_seven » Logged
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »

So you just proved my point right?

How so?

Well going by your 4 criteria Richard comes out ahead 2 to 1 if we disregard the tie.

If you want to rate each option equally important yes.

Personally I would say the ability to create songs and riffs is the most important one.

If you have the ability to create something that sounds amazing while not being the most technically skilled player, does the technical skills really matter?

I'm not saying Richard is bad in that department in any way, but Slash is in a league of his own there. Not many guitar players can compete with his merits.

Richard still have a lot of skills there, so I have high hopes for the outcome should they decide to create something together.

I agree with you there for sure. In saying that though, in terms of all around ability there should be no question as to who the best guitarist is. Slash is really good no doubt but Richard's skills on the guitar just can't be touched by anyone who has been in the band not named Buckethead.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »

How so?

Well going by your 4 criteria Richard comes out ahead 2 to 1 if we disregard the tie.

Personally I would say the ability to create songs and riffs is the most important one.

If you have the ability to create something that sounds amazing while not being the most technically skilled player, does the technical skills really matter?

I'm not saying Richard is bad in that department in any way, but Slash is in a league of his own there. Not many guitar players can compete with his merits.

Richard still have a lot of skills there, so I have high hopes for the outcome should they decide to create something together.

I agree with you there for sure. In saying that though, in terms of all around ability there should be no question as to who the best guitarist is. Slash is really good no doubt but Richard's skills on the guitar just can't be touched by anyone who has been in the band not named Buckethead.

That was my point though... how do you define "best"?

You are thinking strictly guitar playing technique?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »

How so?

That was my point though... how do you define "best"?

You are thinking strictly guitar playing technique?

Overall skill with the guitar.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »

richard is a king. people that swear he throws the sound off are on crack.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »

I don't know why, but I liked his solos in KOHD and Rocket Queen way more than anything he played in his solo spots before.

And he played one of the best Street of Dreams/The Blues ending solo in 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvMG5UTDxM

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »

Whoa whoa...

I really like Fortus a lot. As much as Izzy in terms of playing style and ability.

Are we seriously comparing him and Slash and acting like he's as good or better than Slash?

Lets be real here. It is universally known and thought that Slash is a better guitarist and brings more to the table.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »

Whoa whoa...

I really like Fortus a lot. As much as Izzy in terms of playing style and ability.

Are we seriously comparing him and Slash and acting like he's as good or better than Slash?

Lets be real here. It is universally known and thought that Slash is a better guitarist and brings more to the table.
It is universally known  that Slash is great guitarist, but that is more to do with his brand being well know.  Buckethead is a better guitarist IMHO and fairly well known, Richard has been a loyal soldier to GnR, so much so that his contribution to the world of published music, maybe has been on hold, or is credited to every recording left in the vault, who knows? In my world, he's a better 21st century player than Slash, but history has shone brighter for Slash IYSWIM  yes
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »

This post was intended for praise.  Not to nit pick who's a better guitar player.   Some of you are really whack!  So many negative spins on positive topics in this forum.   It takes less effort to spread joy then negativity.  Just sayin'. #GnFnR

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »

This post was intended for praise.  Not to nit pick who's a better guitar player.   Some of you are really whack!  So many negative spins on positive topics in this forum.   It takes less effort to spread joy then negativity.  Just sayin'. #GnFnR

Good post!

There is a lot of clash on this board with regards to the old members, the rejoining members and the CD guys. It is honestly just a great time to be a Guns fan. We should embrace this as we have not been as privileged in the past.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »

Whoa whoa...

It is universally known  that Slash is great guitarist, but that is more to do with his brand being well know.  Buckethead is a better guitarist IMHO and fairly well known, Richard has been a loyal soldier to GnR, so much so that his contribution to the world of published music, maybe has been on hold, or is credited to every recording left in the vault, who knows? In my world, he's a better 21st century player than Slash, but history has shone brighter for Slash IYSWIM  yes

See, but that's the thing: Buckethead to me is a worse guitarist than Slash since he has little to no emotion in his playing. His music sounds like elevator music to me. And that's the thing some of the people here are getting at: it's just taste man. Maybe Bucket can play things Slash can't, however, Slash can put an emotion in his playing that only few can. Hence his popularity.

To be clear: I don't think any guitarist is better than any other. It's just a matter of taste and preference. In art there's no best, just what you like.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »

Whoa whoa...

Understandably, the fans are watching/listening to Slash's playing with their hearts not with their ears.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »

Love Richard.  Love Richard in GNR.  Love the vibe between Axl n' Richard.  Love the vibe between the other past/present band members and Richard.  Love the vibe between Izzy n' Richard at the shows they played together.  Respect.  ok

Love this quote:
"He's an amazing lead player and very technically skilled.... we finally have the real deal rhythm section, as Richard is a proven professional. Basically, Richard's the guy that we always were looking for." - Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses

Richard Rulez !!! 16 Years

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jeorose
Rocker

Get In The Ring Motherfucker

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 12:41:43 AM »

Seriously? Richard rules? People don't know about music. Now axl is selling stadiums that's the difference slash and duff gives guns n roses the sound that we all love.

Kill Your Idols
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2016, 01:06:20 AM »

Whoa whoa...

just like it's universaly known that hamburgers are better than pizza.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 02:23:49 AM »

It's a matter of opinion. You can't really say who's the best guitarist in the world. Some give credit for technical ability while others don't give a shit about the skills if the guy has "the feeling" or "the sound". It's like arguing which is the best band. One likes this and someone else likes that.

That being said, I'd also like to point out that from the band's point of view Richard might also be a reliable member who they can truly trust. That should be a huge factor.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 06:19:06 AM »

some people like hamburgers, and some people are on crack. me, i like crackburgers. its a real win win.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:26:27 AM by rj seitz » Logged

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »

Seriously? Richard rules? People don't know about music. Now axl is selling stadiums that's the difference slash and duff gives guns n roses the sound that we all love.

I'm Batman

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »

I don't know why, but I liked his solos in KOHD and Rocket Queen way more than anything he played in his solo spots before.

And he played one of the best Street of Dreams/The Blues ending solo in 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvMG5UTDxM

WOW why the F was this solo not used everytime??? Or is it and we just cant ussually hear Richard as clear? Especially for the recorded CD version why isn't it in there.

JustanUrchin
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 11:49:10 AM »

Well said, friend.  Where's Izzy?  It was his plucking in and around what Slash is playing that produced the sound that fills stadiums.  Just because Julia Roberts acts better than my wife doesn't mean that she can reproduce my wife...or anything close.

8.30.88 Pocono Downs
6.11.91 Hershey
12.6.02 Philly riot
11.20.11 Mohegan Sun
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: