Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl's magic formula for longevity and success despite a lack of prolific output?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's magic formula for longevity and success despite a lack of prolific output?  (Read 4508 times)
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« on: May 03, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »

After all the AC/DC news and how it has been very polarizing and how it has been met with huge praise and huge disdain. It got me remembering just how many people absolutely fucking "Love" Axl and how many people absolutely fucking "HATE" Axl. I mean really HATE him. But for those who love him it is almost a religious devotion.
He is quite possibly the most loved and hated celebrity of all time. This board has already talked extensively over the years about the polarizing effect of GNR and Axl-- the intrinsic tension between greatness and disaster, chaos and beauty, guns and roses, best band in the world vs worst band in the world, furious and violent rock bombs vs. sensitive, melodic ballads, arrogant, ranting asshole vs quiet, misunderstood genius, media whore vs. shy introvert etc. Now, we could add big star celebrity vs. quintessential underdog.

But, isn't that his secret to success?

Here's what I mean - - - GNR/AXL are selling out stadiums and they have sold around 100 million albums world wide. They are in a very elite class of musicians. Without a doubt, they have proven they are still a "big name" act.
So, despite all the antics and career destroying moves Axl has made over the years, his celebrityhood and intrigue refuses to diminish. How can someone supposedly SO HATED continue to be so popular?

The answer? Somehow Axl has managed to draw people from both sides of the spectrum-- people who love to jump on the bandwagon of loving and supporing the "best" and "most popular" version of something. For example, rock fans who love the arrogant swagger and mojo of the "top dog" rock star AND rock fans who rally behind the anti-mainstream "under dog." He is both! Besides making amazing music, is that Axl's secret recipe for attracting legions of fans? He can lure people who love the arrogant, ultimate "rock star" and people who love the counter cultural anti-hero underdog? The Hollywood Rock Star who lives in Malibu AND the garage band punk from a small, redneck town in Indiana. Axl has managed to be "both"!!!! He is Mick Jagger AND Johnny Rotten. Pink Floyd AND The Ramones. Muhammad Ali AND "Rocky." He is a corporate, well oiled, rock n roll machine AND an underground garage punk band. Beloved and revered Rock Legend AND mocked washed up rock veteran. Over rated AND under rated. Hero and anti-hero. Rock N Roll savior AND rock n roll destroyer. World's greatest singer AND world's worst singer. A gun AND a rose. A thorn AND a flower.
What other musician or celebrity has had the level of fame of Axl and been so hated? The only answer is that he pulls from both crowds. He has somehow managed to be all things to all people. I think this is his secret, OR the level of hatred of Axl is much smaller than we realize, and that there is just a really vocal minority of haters who magnify the hatred in the media.
OR, Axl's vocals are JUST THAT GREAT! GNR's music is heads and shoulders above almost everything else.
I'm just trying to rationalize how somehow who has done almost everything perfectly to destroy a career, simply CAN'T. I'm trying to figure out how a rock star who is supposedly SO HATED BY SO MANY ROCK FANS, still lights up the fucking Internet when he sneezes. A man who runs a band who hasn't made a record in 8 years but can sell out stadiums!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:15:01 PM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »

He's one of the last of a now extinct breed, the crazy frontman "rock star".

Part of the reason this tour is selling so well is that there just isn't much of that left anymore.  But there is still an older audience that grew up on the concept and still appreciates it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 05:33:15 AM »

i dont have much to add, but great post!

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »

The thing is he demands people attention and he always get it. Even if it is to be proven wrong.

I mean, there were people here in the boards for years bitching about how Axl was nothing without Slash. This is as passive-agressive as it gets.

His persona is also a complex profile who refused to play by the cards of the industry back in the 90s. Yes, the band made several videos and MTV appearences, but they were always by their terms - how many bands were releasing 10 minute songs and videos aside from GNR? The media sure got fed up with his rockstar behavior AND the band's sound in the grunge era, so Guns N' Roses represented everything they were against, and it was all personificated on Axl. I trully think this stupid media hipster mindset is still there, praising acts such as Coldplay and other vanilla bands who never released more than average music.

But there's also much more people demanding classic rock stuff like Guns N' Roses than late 90s or early 2000 indie songs that sound dated. Maybe the stellar reviews Axl is getting now with AC/DC marks the turning point of his carreer.

Dallo
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »

Not many know what Axl is up to. There's an air of mystery about him which keeps people intrigued. I remember reading years ago Jon Bon Jovi said what's Axl done in the last 20 years? I've done a lot. Lol. Yeah but he's never had that mystique like Axl.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:55 AM »

the mystique does help keep more interesting. people want to know what they can't or don't know. i feel like axl keeps people chasing him by playing hard to get.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:56:39 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »

But there's also much more people demanding classic rock stuff like Guns N' Roses than late 90s or early 2000 indie songs that sound dated. Maybe the stellar reviews Axl is getting now with AC/DC marks the turning point of his carreer.

He could conceivably mend his entire legacy over the next few years.

Not with us.  He has us.  Always will have us.  But I mean the general public.

Look at the good reviews from Vegas and Coachella.  Look at the great reviews with AC/DC, and people freely admitting, unprompted, they were wrong about him and he has been great.

So suppose he does this summer tour here, and then the rest of the world.  With no bullshit.  Just great shows, no drama, good times.

What you may see happen is "Axl Rose is a complete dick and always has been " morph to "Axl Rose *used to be* a complete dick, but he figured it out."

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: