Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Studio Time in Atlanta?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Studio Time in Atlanta?  (Read 23722 times)
echeguns
Headliner

Never too old to rock n roll!

« on: July 21, 2016, 01:03:36 AM »

A major studio has been booked for 2 days (July 28th and 29th) in Atlanta. Same studio Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen recorded in over the last couple of years. Could they be doing studio time in major cities? I believe Brendon O'Brian/Butch Walker were both part of those recordsand both have homes in Atlanta.   I can see them w GNR.  Who knows but would be cool!

Atlanta 1988
Atlanta 1989
San Francisco 2010
Greenville 2011
Las Vegas 2014
Atlanta 2016
Miami 2017
New York 2017
Austin 2019
Lexington KY 2023
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:43:09 AM »

A major studio has been booked for 2 days (July 28th and 29th) in Atlanta. Same studio Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen recorded in over the last couple of years. Could they be doing studio time in major cities? I believe Brendon O'Brian/Butch Walker were both part of those recordsand both have homes in Atlanta.   I can see them w GNR.  Who knows but would be cool!

Not sure of your source but the band plays Atlanta on the 27th and Florida the 29th. Tight fit if it were them.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »

Also there's no indication that GNR booked it, right?

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »

Also there's no indication that GNR booked it, right?

Yeah, who's to say it's not a local Atlanta band recording a demo.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »

Reach and a half, this theory.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
echeguns
Headliner

Never too old to rock n roll!

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »

Probably so.  No small bands for this studio so I guess you never know. My source can't confirm but he says it's an all nighter w a big band but could be anyone. Not abnormal for confidentiality to be signed and they did all sign. I'll let you all know if I hear anything unless it would get friend fired.

Atlanta 1988
Atlanta 1989
San Francisco 2010
Greenville 2011
Las Vegas 2014
Atlanta 2016
Miami 2017
New York 2017
Austin 2019
Lexington KY 2023
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:21 AM »

Probably so.  No small bands for this studio so I guess you never know. My source can't confirm but he says it's an all nighter w a big band but could be anyone. Not abnormal for confidentiality to be signed and they did all sign. I'll let you all know if I hear anything unless it would get friend fired.
Cool man. Maybe the studio time also includes engineers working? Ive read somewhere that Caram is travelling with the band. Dont know if it was always the case - I know he did back in 2010.

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 09:23:41 AM »

Didn't Axl "audition" for AC/DC in Atlanta.. Also I believe Skid Row are based in Atlanta..
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »

Not a chance,this is a money grabbing tour they don't need to put out new stuff ,How long did CD take 14 years and was only put out to reclaim some of the millions that was spent on it ,WTF could they do in 2 days?
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »

Not a chance,this is a money grabbing tour they don't need to put out new stuff ,How long did CD take 14 years and was only put out to reclaim some of the millions that was spent on it ,WTF could they do in 2 days?

Lol "Money grab" - God forbid Musicians should make money doing their job. Roll Eyes

A lot more tracks were recorded in the CD time, than were put on the Album- and, with today's technology and developments in recording- studio time can be minimal due to much of the work being done via a DAW or a home studio- digital has really changed the entire face of music from analogue days.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »

I'm hoping for something big next year for AFD's 30th! Maybe, if it is them, it's to plan out a remaster or something. Re-record a song or two, have the 2016 version or something. Again, that's IF it's them. But that's just my uneducated guess.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »

All of the Illusion tracks took 2 weeks to record. Minus vocals. Tells you all you need to know

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »

Lol "Money grab" - God forbid Musicians should make money doing their job. Roll Eyes

A lot more tracks were recorded in the CD time, than were put on the Album- and, with today's technology and developments in recording- studio time can be minimal due to much of the work being done via a DAW or a home studio- digital has really changed the entire face of music from analogue days.

Way more than money.

It is always a money grab when u make millions.

But duff and slash didn't hang out at the Axl dc show out of money grab.  And if you have seen enough cell footage backstage, u can see this is more than a money grab.

Also, new music looks like a real possibility.

The Atlanta studio rumor is nothing more so I get the hesitation.

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »

You need to do your homework. If any of them wanted to 'grab' money they would have done way earlier and way smarter. And by the way, one of the biggest money grabbers would be to put out new music and tour on that music. Because only 1 single hit song will (at least) double the attendance per show. Look at how many tickets are being sold/money is being made on this tour with no press, TV interviews or any big promotion.....

Also, Axl is loaded as fuck ($150 million I believe), Slash is set for life ($32 million) and Duff isn't exactly short on cash either ($20 million)......see it for what it is: a real rock band performing songs they love and doing what they love. No need for the negative spin you're giving it.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »

There is a picture from Melissa on instagram with her studio equipment. Another sign for new music?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH-JODGhiiS/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:56:39 PM by Sosso » Logged

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »

There is a picture from Melissa on instagram with her studio equipment. Another sign for new music?

Could be for a demo or something. I doubt that equipment is for a proper studio recording.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »

Also, pay attention to the hashtags she used:

#boston #tour #film #composer #2jobs #love #music #gratitude

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »

Also, pay attention to the hashtags she used:

#boston #tour #film #composer #2jobs #love #music #gratitude

That solves it.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »

she has other recording/writing jobs outside of Guns N Roses
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:58 AM »

Chances that it's Guns who've booked the studio time? Maybe 1/100
Chances everyone shows up and isn't too tired from the gigs and travelling? 1/2
Chances that something productive is made within 2 days? 1/100
Chances that Axl and everyone else is satisfied with the results? 1/500
Chances that it ever sees the light of day? 1/?Huh??

Yeah, so in summary I'm not going to get excited by this rumor.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »

The 1/500 estimation on them being happy is ridiculous... several of the people in this incarnation of the band have very quickly turned around recordings... there is only one piece of the puzzle that over analyzes these things.

My hope is the new surrounding cast would be able to 'push' him though a recording and production session, but who knows.

Also something like this could be to record a single track or maybe two (like had been mentioned previously) that get added as an extra to a GH release, or a Live album from this tour.

I'm not getting overly excited or holding my breath on this either, but I don't think that a few days here couldn't be useful (maybe the same thing is mimicked in LA on the west coast between the LA and San Diego dates).
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »

The 1/500 estimation on them being happy is ridiculous... several of the people in this incarnation of the band have very quickly turned around recordings... there is only one piece of the puzzle that over analyzes these things.

There have been 0 Guns N' Roses songs released as approved by Axl Rose in over 20 years. Oh My God's release was sketchy at best and Axl said it was a demo/unfinished. Even CD was pried from his hands before he was done with it. I'd say if anything 1 in 500 is conservative. I'd say the last release that was put out as desired by Axl was Sympathy for The Devil. And Slash would have blocked the release of that if he could have.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:47:44 AM by raindog » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 08:04:40 AM »

There have been 0 Guns N' Roses songs released as approved by Axl Rose in over 20 years. Oh My God's release was sketchy at best and Axl said it was a demo/unfinished. Even CD was pried from his hands before he was done with it. I'd say if anything 1 in 500 is conservative. I'd say the last release that was put out as desired by Axl was Sympathy for The Devil. And Slash would have blocked the release of that if he could have.

Before we continue, let me say I don't think this Atlanta thing is anything (even though in the Opie interview one of the Atlanta reporters asks him 'where are they going to be tonight' and then follows that up with 'well we heard something')

With that said... I think you need to throw history out with this current line up. For the years that Duff and Slash were still in the band, they were junkies. This might be the first time since they met in the early 80's that they are all clean. That is a huge factor that could make their communication and ability to push each other in a place it's never been. The other thing to think about is after they left Axl didn't have an equal, and I know we don't know what their contract/partnership/agreement looks like, but Slash and Duff are going to have more input and ability to give him a kick in that ass than anyone who came after them.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »

One thing that should be considered is that if there is indeed studio time, it might be only for Slash and Duff (and maybe Melissa and Richard, if he needs to redone anything). And frankly, they all could record it at home, but of course in studio they would get a more organic feel.

See, I never thought the band or even Axl follows a pattern. It may happen that he get satisfied with Slash and Duff's stuff and release it quickly. If you also consider how the attention and pressure will not be only on Axl's shoulders, it can actually help both the band and the record company to get things done rather fast.

MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »

One thing that should be considered is that if there is indeed studio time, it might be only for Slash and Duff (and maybe Melissa and Richard, if he needs to redone anything). And frankly, they all could record it at home, but of course in studio they would get a more organic feel.

See, I never thought the band or even Axl follows a pattern. It may happen that he get satisfied with Slash and Duff's stuff and release it quickly. If you also consider how the attention and pressure will not be only on Axl's shoulders, it can actually help both the band and the record company to get things done rather fast.

People will be more accepting of a release with Slash & Duff involved.

I still don't get the lack of love for Chinese Democracy. It is an amazing piece of work from start to finish. It blows away anything released, hard rock wise, since Use Your Illusions I & II.

The Average Joe's filling their heads with Nickelback never gave CD a chance based on the stigma of "Axl going it alone".

Edited to Add: In my world. CD even beats UYI I & II individually. Put the best 14 UYI tracks together and that's tough to beat, with only AFD topping that.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:47:02 AM by Ra » Logged

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »

Was thinking today.  I really believe that Slash & Duff recording on the next album is the best thing that could happen to bolster Axl to release new music.  Main reason being that having two other original members on the album roster would definitely lessen the amount of criticism that may or may not get lobbed solely at Axl.  Really hope they find their way into a studio in between tour legs so the next album comes out sooner than later.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 04:31:24 AM »

With that said... I think you need to throw history out with this current line up. For the years that Duff and Slash were still in the band, they were junkies. This might be the first time since they met in the early 80's that they are all clean.

Not true. Slash was off smack by the time they recorded UYI. He relapsed a few times but only while off tour and home alone. He was still drinking heavily though.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »

With that said... I think you need to throw history out with this current line up. For the years that Duff and Slash were still in the band, they were junkies. This might be the first time since they met in the early 80's that they are all clean.

Not true. Slash was off smack by the time they recorded UYI. He relapsed a few times but only while off tour and home alone. He was still drinking heavily though.

You are wrong,fellow fan. Slash was always a junkie up until after the Illusions lineup broke up.He was even clinically dead after an OD for a few minutes right before the Oakland 1992 concert.He then wore a cocaine t-shirt on that night ! talk about irony.It's all in his book,at least those stories were true in that book.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:09:06 PM by nick6sic6 » Logged

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »

You are wrong,fellow fan. Slash was always a junkie up until after the Illusions lineup broke up.He was even clinically dead after an OD for a few minutes right before the Oakland 1992 concert.He then wore a cocaine t-shirt on that night ! talk about irony.It's all in his book,at least those stories were true in that book.

The paaast is goooooooooone

iiiiiiiiiiiit wennnn byyyyyyyy 

Liiiiiiike dusk ta dawwwwwwn

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »

Personally I feel we're very very far from new material- and I've come to terms with that. I honestly don't really expect to hear anything new from GNR ever again, sad as that sounds. If it happens it'll be a massive bonus. Having said that, I'd be amazed if a live album and/or DVD doesn't appear- but other than that...I'm not holding my breath.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »

People will be more accepting of a release with Slash & Duff involved.

I still don't get the lack of love for Chinese Democracy. It is an amazing piece of work from start to finish. It blows away anything released, hard rock wise, since Use Your Illusions I & II.

The Average Joe's filling their heads with Nickelback never gave CD a chance based on the stigma of "Axl going it alone".

Edited to Add: In my world. CD even beats UYI I & II individually. Put the best 14 UYI tracks together and that's tough to beat, with only AFD topping that.

CD had a huge chance to succeed just because of the stigma.   That alone was a great marketing tool.  It sold very well the first week.

There are various reasons it didn't sell 10 million copies, way to many to talk about

I feel the biggest reason it didn't, was a lack of hit song.

Now if the current line up decides to record together and release some music.

It as well will have the stigma of the band being back.  That stigma alone will help it sell huge in the first week.

However

Without any hits, it too will fade away
JustanUrchin
Headliner

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »

Duff was a ?junkie??  He drank booze.  Booze is legal.  Greats in many professions?from hall of fame athletes to best-selling authors to patent holders?consume vast quantities of booze for years if not decades.

What book were you reading?  Certainly not his book authored with Bozza.  He tracks, in page-yawning detail, the periods in which he used.

Many posters on this board were likely shitting green when Duff last consumed booze on a daily basis or at their momma?s nip when Slash was cooking.

The Axl apologists forever fabricate ways to excuse Axl?s 15 songs of original material in 25 years.  And counting.  The compilation of 14 of those songs from Axl?s solo band sits on Wikipedia?s list of all-time worst albums.  Duff and Slash, meanwhile, have won a Grammy in VR.  Slash drops solo and MKC records every two years with multiple charting singles.  And Izzy?s ever-growing catalogue reminds one of Neil Young.

I, and many others, are set either way.  Gn?R will release new material or Slash will walk and release another (and another..and another...) badass rocker if Axl carries on as expected by wringing his hands over a ridiculous Liberace-inspired synth there, a mood-killing sample here, and autotuning his vocals into techno pop oblivion.

Slash holds the cards.  Axl will not?cannot?release another solo album of mid-tempo yawner piano pieces with generic guitar work under the Gn?R banner.  He indicated as much at the China Exchange Q&A.  The critical success, by any measure, of the NITL tour further bears this out.

8.30.88 Pocono Downs
6.11.91 Hershey
12.6.02 Philly riot
11.20.11 Mohegan Sun
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »

Haha  Grin This guy⬆ Your taste is for the most good man, but by calling Gn'r Axl's solo band, you loose all credibility here. At least for me. And yes, Duff used more than alcohol. Not that it matters now.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 12:09:14 AM »

Duff was a ?junkie??  He drank booze.  Booze is legal.  Greats in many professions?from hall of fame athletes to best-selling authors to patent holders?consume vast quantities of booze for years if not decades.

Duff had a major Coke problem, that he still has sinus and septum issues to this day because of... that along with a huge drinking problem.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »

Haha  Grin This guy⬆ Your taste is for the most good man, but by calling Gn'r Axl's solo band, you loose all credibility here. At least for me. And yes, Duff used more than alcohol. Not that it matters now.

You might lose it here, but this is just about the only place on the planet.

I can see the argument that such terms buy you nothing but grief here.  But one must also concede that outside of these friendly confines, no one bats an eye.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »

So this thread turned into problems players in the band used to have?

What about this studio time!   
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »

So this thread turned into problems players in the band used to have?

What about this studio time!   

That was related to studio time, in that they might find it easier to work together than they did in the post UYI sessions just prior to their split.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: