Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:54:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Behind the scenes with Tour Manager "Opie"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behind the scenes with Tour Manager "Opie"  (Read 15588 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »

Based on the success of the tour so far, and the wildly positive reviews they are getting... I am hoping that they leave a few days of downtime where ever they are in the Feb time frame to accommodate a Super Bowl Performance if they are asked. Welcome to the Jungle is played multiple times a game every game for 17 weeks plus playoffs... How do you miss the opportunity for them to do it live at half time.

I really do not want to see a cross of uptown funk and biance or even that downtown song mixed with GNR. ha

Perhaps they are better suited for a big pre game show, open the superbowl to a live performance of Jungle
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »

Much as Axl can't go back to touring with a bunch of guys named Harry, can Slash go back either?

I would say no.  Unless you are going to overly just play solo stuff.

Much like I never need to hear who the hell knows who up there with Axl and try play the solos on 'Estranged' any more, I don't need some rando next to Slash trying to pull off WTTJ.

That shit was fine when thought the guys could never work together.  Now we see they can, who the hell needs that watered down crap?

That's a good point, regarding Slash's future solo ventures.  I think it's within ALL of their vested interests that this works out well, both in regard to touring and certainly for the next album.  They'll all want their mark on it for sure...

But we also know that Slash is a workaholic and has always kept multiple things going.
We still don't know ACDC's future, especially now with Cliff leaving, but if Axl and Angus decide to work together beyond the US shows, Slash will have to keep himself busy. My guess is that he will keep doing the Conspirators thing between runs with GNR.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »

Much as Axl can't go back to touring with a bunch of guys named Harry, can Slash go back either?

Much like I never need to hear who the hell knows who up there with Axl and try play the solos on 'Estranged' any more, I don't need some rando next to Slash trying to pull off WTTJ.

That shit was fine when thought the guys could never work together.  Now we see they can, who the hell needs that watered down crap?

That's a good point, regarding Slash's future solo ventures.  I think it's within ALL of their vested interests that this works out well, both in regard to touring and certainly for the next album.  They'll all want their mark on it for sure...

But we also know that Slash is a workaholic and has always kept multiple things going.
We still don't know ACDC's future, especially now with Cliff leaving, but if Axl and Angus decide to work together beyond the US shows, Slash will have to keep himself busy. My guess is that he will keep doing the Conspirators thing between runs with GNR.

Maybe.  IMO it makes far more sense for Axl to have Slash & Duff record on the next album between legs and keep this thing going strong than to do whatever with in the studio with Angus while Slash goes off with Myles. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »

Based on the success of the tour so far, and the wildly positive reviews they are getting... I am hoping that they leave a few days of downtime where ever they are in the Feb time frame to accommodate a Super Bowl Performance if they are asked. Welcome to the Jungle is played multiple times a game every game for 17 weeks plus playoffs... How do you miss the opportunity for them to do it live at half time.

For the first time ever, I think the SB is a possibility.

I see 2 red flags :

- Not if they are in Australia or somewhere else on the far side of the world.

- The NFL does not mess around.  So the whole "we're GNR, we don't do press" routine?  Well, you can forget that shit.  The NFL told both The Rolling Stones and Sir Paul McCartney to shut the fuck up and get out there and glad hand on media day.  They aren't going to quiver in their boots over Axl Rose saying he won't play ball.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »

I have to agree that I'm not sure if Slash going back to Myles and the Conspirators would be viable at this point. For me, I saw Slash's  and Axl's band twice when they separated. Now  that they are back together, I don't think I would go. 
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »

I see 2 red flags :

- The NFL does not mess around.  So the whole "we're GNR, we don't do press" routine?  Well, you can forget that shit.  The NFL told both The Rolling Stones and Sir Paul McCartney to shut the fuck up and get out there and glad hand on media day.  They aren't going to quiver in their boots over Axl Rose saying he won't play ball.

They aren't doing the Super Bowl

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

I see 2 red flags :

They aren't doing the Super Bowl

NFL would be stupid not to ask... I think it will be up to them to turn it down. Might make a little more sense too if they are looking to market a Live CD/BluRay from this American Leg around that time.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »

I get that the Super Bowl is extremely popular and give a good exposure. But isnt something more to the pop artists? Axl would want to properly perform and not do some pre-recorded shit.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 09:30:58 PM »

The Who performed live in 2010, U2 performed live in 2002, can't speak for the whole performance of the Black Eyed Peas but Slash and Fergie were live 2011, Springsteen was live in 2009, Tom Petty Live in 2008, Prince was live in 2007, Rolling Stones were live in 2006, McCartney in 2005 is actually questionable when watching it (probably pre-recorded)...

Most of the rock acts (RHCP excluded) have been live, they have just been leaning towards the Beyonce's and Bruno Mars' of the world in the last several years.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »

Yeah, those last several years were the ones I was talking about.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »

That's more an indictment on Rock than it is on the Super Bowl Halftime show... There hasn't been a Super Bowl level rock band in the last several years worthy of the spot that wouldn't be a retread from a previous year.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »

That's more an indictment on Rock than it is on the Super Bowl Halftime show... There hasn't been a Super Bowl level rock band in the last several years worthy of the spot that wouldn't be a retread from a previous year.
Good point.

Anyways, it would be super exciting to have a proshot of the performance for sure. They would never risk it with a new song, but it would also be amazing.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »

I get that the Super Bowl is extremely popular and give a good exposure. But isnt something more to the pop artists? Axl would want to properly perform and not do some pre-recorded shit.

They would def need to have something to promote if they where to do the SB

I heard this past year the NFL was making the acts pay to perform.   I can see why, the acts tour numbers go through the roof after the show.

So perhaps a high end arena tour, of north America?? 

I do not think a new album or a blue ray would be enough to promote, or worth it.

MB all of the above.  I high end expensive arena show, with a new album and hit single and a new blue ray!
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »

I agree 100% for several reasons. First, Axl is slow as hell getting new music out and Slash releases a new album every 18-24 months, so he will have to keep himself busy during Axl's downtime or whatever he does. Second, I've seen Slash a bunch of times with VR and Myles/Conspirators and I think there is genuine affection among the Conspirators. They are really a tight band. It is hard to imagine that Slash would just walk away from something that he clearly enjoys. Third, I think Slash likes being the "main guy" and that is perfectly normal. We don't know the inner workings of GNR but at best Slash is co-main guy or maybe even a notch below Axl in terms of making decisions. Fourth, I find it curious that no one, to my knowledge, has said that the US tour and the dates to follow mean that the band is back together on a permanent basis. They've just said they are doing a whole tour. So what happens after that has run its course? It's entirely reasonable that Slash and Duff go back to their solo projects. That leaves Axl kind of stuck. At this point Axl needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl. Or maybe GNR will come together on an "as needed" basis which leaves plenty of time for side projects. In any event, I would bet money that we have not heard the last of Slash with Myles and the Conspirators. Unlike VR, which does appear to be dead.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:28 AM »

I agree Slash can go do his other stuff no issue ... I think he really enjoys working with Myles and a lot of people including me enjoy that material.

If Axl ever presented this band without Slash again ... That would be.. A disaster on several fronts no matter how much some of us like the music.

Call me hopeful... But I think these two rock out together for a long time going forward. New music and all! I am still pinching myself that this all happened. I truly believed the man when he said never going to happen. Very happy and fortunate that I have been able to see it with my own eyes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:02:03 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »

I have to disagree with this somewhat. The NFL blew it when they gave the halftime spot to Bruno Mars and not to Bon Jovi nor Billy Joel. You had the Super Bowl in the number one market for the first time. It should have gone to either artist as a result.  Last year, Metallica should have been the half time show. Instead the NFL blew it again!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »

I have to disagree with this somewhat. The NFL blew it when they gave the halftime spot to Bruno Mars and not to Bon Jovi nor Billy Joel. You had the Super Bowl in the number one market for the first time. It should have gone to either artist as a result.  Last year, Metallica should have been the half time show. Instead the NFL blew it again!

Here is the issue, Bon Jovi and Metallica haven't done anything of consequence in years. Ever since people began counter programming against the halftime show (FOX did it first in the Early 90's with In Living Color) they are going for what keeps more asses on their couch tuned to the network carrying the game. Bon Jovi hasn't released anything and isn't selling out Stadiums... Metallica has cherry picked a few big shows here and there (like Rio in Vegas) but overall that band has been average for ticket sales and hasn't released anything since 2008. In 2014 when Bruno Mars played the Super Bowl he had the #10 highest grossing tour of the year (#9 in North America), Metallica was #28 and primarily doing over seas dates which is not the focus of the NFL.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »

I agree Slash can go do his other stuff no issue ... I think he really enjoys working with Myles and a lot of people including me enjoy that material.

If Axl ever presented this band without Slash again ... That would be.. A disaster on several fronts no matter how much some of us like the music.

Call me hopeful... But I think these two rock out together for a long time going forward. New music and all! I am still pinching myself that this all happened. I truly believed the man when he said never going to happen. Very happy and fortunate that I have been able to see it with my own eyes.

Yeah, if this tour has taught us anything, it's that we should "never say never" to anything, and that includes a new album with Slash & Duff featured. Only real question is "When?".
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 04:47:42 PM »

Yeah, if this tour has taught us anything, it's that we should "never say never" to anything, and that includes a new album with Slash & Duff featured. Only real question is "When?".

If and when they ever release a new album I want a version of This I Love and Better with Slash on it.  ok

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »

If and when they ever release a new album I want a version of This I Love and Better with Slash on it.  ok

I wouldn't place it outside the realm of possibilities.  He had them re-recorded featuring DJ, and the demand for that was...well...less.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: