Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [Updates] July 31st, 2016 New Orleans, LA @ Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Updates] July 31st, 2016 New Orleans, LA @ Mercedes-Benz Superdome  (Read 23062 times)
Princess Leia
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »

I think it s a fair assumption to make that a majority of these crowds are crowds going because its the big 3 back together again. Most of the people going to these shows are probably people who never gave Chinese Democracy a chance so unless your a true die hard fan who stuck with the band over the last 15 years thats why people don't get behind the CD songs. Now if this version of the band can stay together for the long haul and slash & duff continue playing some of those songs i think people will get behind them more but it will take time.

All these unicorns I heard about for years, who became big fans during the CD era and just love that stuff...guess they all skipped my show.

I made it a point to talk to people everywhere, just to see what was what  In the lot, in every beer line, in my section, walking in and out of the stadium.  All fans from way back.  The younger ones I did find were there for the material from way back.

It's a not a hill worth dying on, but it doesn't mean you can't call it what it is.  People where there because "Guns N' Roses were back!!"  And no one meant back since 2014 either.

Woah, woah, keep those hard truths to yourself, Mr.

I think he is on the right track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwzX346hZ3Q

Grin
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »

Did anyone catch Axl referencing the City of New Orleans before Nightrain?

/jarmo

Well if you would have bothered to come online and watch the periscopes and updates being posted in real time, you would have seen that YES the City of New Orleans song reference was noted in the Setlist posted:
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=67700.msg1440004#msg1440004

and that MNGS717 told the story of the connection between that song and the Chinese Democracy grenade logo!!!
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=67700.msg1440083#msg1440083

What could you have possibly been doing at that time that was more interesting than being online here??  rant

Tongue

Hope you're having an awesome time!!!  Smiley

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:43 PM »

Play some more song off of lies.   It was a great selling album. People may want to hear some of that

Yeah!  Let's hear Mama Kin or Nice Boys!  Oh wait.....

I thought 'Used To Love Her' would have gotten some play.

In all seriousness I agree with you there.  I've gotta say, besides a few things I would tweek I am pretty happy with the set list.  The only song I don't understand like so many others is The Seeker.  That being said if its a song that Axl looks forward to and gets pumped to play then I am for it.  I'd rather have a focused and happy Axl than a grumpy Axl.  
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »

I think it s a fair assumption to make that a majority of these crowds are crowds going because its the big 3 back together again. Most of the people going to these shows are probably people who never gave Chinese Democracy a chance so unless your a true die hard fan who stuck with the band over the last 15 years thats why people don't get behind the CD songs. Now if this version of the band can stay together for the long haul and slash & duff continue playing some of those songs i think people will get behind them more but it will take time.

All these unicorns I heard about for years, who became big fans during the CD era and just love that stuff...guess they all skipped my show.

I made it a point to talk to people everywhere, just to see what was what  In the lot, in every beer line, in my section, walking in and out of the stadium.  All fans from way back.  The younger ones I did find were there for the material from way back.

It's a not a hill worth dying on, but it doesn't mean you can't call it what it is.  People where there because "Guns N' Roses were back!!"  And no one meant back since 2014 either.

Woah, woah, keep those hard truths to yourself, Mr.

I think he is on the right track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwzX346hZ3Q

Grin

Would be shocked if this is not the case at every venue.

Look, if doing a few of those tunes was needed to make the tour happen, it's the cost of doing business as far as I'm concerned.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »

Seems like the interviewer girl was caught off-guard that the guy at the very end had a positive response.
That interviewer has a bright future as a political journalist for any number of major news networks.  ok

As for the other people being interviewed, they don't know what they've missed out on as far as the rumored history behind some of the CD songs.  Listening to Slash playing songs like Sorry brought out a whole lot of shock n' awe from fans of CD.  hihi

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »

This question is for DX in regards to the CD songs that are getting played on this current tour. Have you not had any interest in hearing the old guns take on any of the CD songs? The reason for my question is if this band is going to stay together for the long run you can't have tour after tour of AFD & UYI even with the original guys eventually the luster will wear off you have to add new touches in any tours to follow this one the inclusion of any CD songs are important because you have to add some wrinkles to any future tour. Do you agree, disagree?
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »

I dunno. I think a nice chunk of the fanbase, esp those who filled arenas in fall 2011 and went to the UCAP shows a few months later were fans of Chi Dem.  Not saying they're the majority, but they're certainly out there.

Fuck, there was a steady stream of people going for beers during "Coma".  Might as well have been a song off Chinese to them. It wasn't one of the big 3 or 4 GNR tunes they were aware of so fuck it, right?  

Honestly, I think a good number of the stadium going crowd are there for Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City and maybe November Rain and tolerate the rest while waiting. Who cares about them? Not this guy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:43:32 PM by sofine11 » Logged
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »

I dunno. I think a nice chunk of the fanbase, esp those who filled arenas in the fall 2011 and went to the UCAP shows a few months later were fans of Chi Dem.  Not saying they're the majority, but they're certainly out there.

Fuck, there was a steady stream of people going for beers during "Coma".  Might as well have been a song off Chinese to them. I wasn't one of the big 3 or 4 GNR tunes they were aware of so fuck it, right?  

Honestly, I think a good chunk of the stadium going crowd are there for Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City and maybe November Rain and tolerate the rest while waiting. Who cares about them? Not this guy.

The tour promoter, the band's accountant/s, and each member of the band whose pay is based ticket sales care very much about those fans. They made the reunion happen and buy a lot of the tickets.... enough so the promoter was able to stage this as a stadium tour. They 'general fan' also bought a lot of the tickets before the reunion too. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:45:17 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »

I dunno. I think a nice chunk of the fanbase, esp those who filled arenas in the fall 2011 and went to the UCAP shows a few months later were fans of Chi Dem.  Not saying they're the majority, but they're certainly out there.

Fuck, there was a steady stream of people going for beers during "Coma".  Might as well have been a song off Chinese to them. I wasn't one of the big 3 or 4 GNR tunes they were aware of so fuck it, right?  

Honestly, I think a good chunk of the stadium going crowd are there for Jungle, SCOM, Paradise City and maybe November Rain and tolerate the rest while waiting. Who cares about them? Not this guy.

The tour promoter, the band's accountant/s, and each of the band who get paid according to ticket sales care very much about those fans. They made the reunion happen and by a lot of the tickets.... they bought a lot of the tickets before the reunion too. 

Yeah, no kidding, and that's not being disputed. My point is that stuff like that video where they accost clueless "fans" and ask them their thoughts on Chinese Democracy shouldn't be taken seriously.  And also that there are likely just as many people singing along to Better as there are singing along to Out Ta Get Me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »

This question is for DX in regards to the CD songs that are getting played on this current tour. Have you not had any interest in hearing the old guns take on any of the CD songs? The reason for my question is if this band is going to stay together for the long run you can't have tour after tour of AFD & UYI even with the original guys eventually the luster will wear off you have to add new touches in any tours to follow this one the inclusion of any CD songs are important because you have to add some wrinkles to any future tour. Do you agree, disagree?

I prefer the way they play CD on this tour.  Think its really strong.

My favorite version was always RIR III.  I think the song is a solid, 3 minute rocker.  

HATED that long pretentious intron the album and subsequent live versions since.

I think Slash is a better guitar player than anyone that played on any version of 'Sorry' or 'This I Love'.  But I just don't really like those songs as a whole.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »

Slightly off topic, I would love to hear a raw early demo version of both Chinese Democracy & The Blues.  yes
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »

Yeah, no kidding, and that's not being disputed. My point is that stuff like that video where they accost clueless "fans" and ask them their thoughts on Chinese Democracy shouldn't be taken seriously.  And also that there are likely just as many people singing along to Better as there are singing along to Out Ta Get Me.

Yet when this tour was announced and people suggested they could leave CD songs out entirely, people acted like we shot the pope.

But I think videos like this support that they likely could have been.  I went out of my way to talk to as many people as I could at my show.  Cut across all groups : young, old, male, female, etc.  Despite seeking out a diversity of people, I did not find diversity of opinion.

Tons of people asked me about the show when tickets went on sale.  Again, from all groups of folks.  Every single one them quickly asked how many CD songs "they would have to sit through".

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »

The setlist is good, we might like them to change this up a bit but im sure its bound to happen eventually. I could do with out the seeker and they could play yesterdays or UTLH but it is what it is. I dont mind CD songs being played, I like a lot what Slash is doing with them!
I hope they play for 3 hours in Peru so they can play most of the Alt on the list  peace
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »

I've stated in the past that I would prefer less covers.

As far as Chinese Democracy goes, I think it's interesting to hear Slash play them, though I'd prefer they be kept to a minimum.  I can tell you one thing though, as long as Axl is still in the band, Chinese Democracy songs will never leave the setlist entirely.  Axl's perspective is that he fought too hard for too long to get that album out there (not to mention recently admitting he prefers the newer songs), and he isn't about to let it disappear.  In fairness to Axl, I can't blame him for that.

Quite frankly, I'd rather hear the Chinese Democracy material over the covers they've been playing.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »

Yet when this tour was announced and people suggested they could leave CD songs out entirely, people acted like we shot the pope.

But I think videos like this support that they likely could have been.  I went out of my way to talk to as many people as I could at my show.  Cut across all groups : young, old, male, female, etc.  Despite seeking out a diversity of people, I did not find diversity of opinion.

Tons of people asked me about the show when tickets went on sale.  Again, from all groups of folks.  Every single one them quickly asked how many CD songs "they would have to sit through".

You should work for Fox News.......O'Reilly....since you have this survey thing down to a science. If you polled the average fan at these shows, a majority wouldn't even know who Duff McKagan is. Shows this large bring out people who want to hear SCOM...Jungle.....yada yada. Most probably don't even know Estranged.  Undecided

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »

I wonder if Chinese will get a bump in sales? I think it will and for the record, I love this bands take on all the songs they have played. They just have a more organic feel to them....which I like. peace
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:01:29 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2016, 05:30:07 PM »

I prefer the guitar player that actually wrote Sorry.  Can't really get better than the guy that wrote the song!   I was saying the same thing when that guitar player was kiding but durring night train.    Still not as good as slash
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »

I've stated in the past that I would prefer less covers.

As far as Chinese Democracy goes, I think it's interesting to hear Slash play them, though I'd prefer they be kept to a minimum.  I can tell you one thing though, as long as Axl is still in the band, Chinese Democracy songs will never leave the setlist entirely.  Axl's perspective is that he fought too hard for too long to get that album out there (not to mention recently admitting he prefers the newer songs), and he isn't about to let it disappear.  In fairness to Axl, I can't blame him for that.

Quite frankly, I'd rather hear the Chinese Democracy material over the covers they've been playing.

I agree.  Play the CD songs all day long.  Play the good ones.  At least they a gun n roses music
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »

CD songs make more sense that some Slash solo song or VR tune.

doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »

I was there last night...best show ever. Seems some people will never be satisfied no matter what the setlist. I keep checking this thread to hear other reactions/reviews and all I'm seeing is the same stupid set list debates.  I'm sure there's a thread for that somewhere. I understand the discussion but geez... I saw gnr last night and I can honestly say I was completely satisfied with the set list.  Enjoy this tour and stop bitching. Someday we'll have no gnr at all to discuss.

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: