Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:04:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GN'R concert with a real orchestra
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R concert with a real orchestra  (Read 7948 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« on: August 05, 2016, 11:50:08 PM »

Who would like to see a GN'R concert with a real orchestra? Just like Metallica's "S&M" live album for example.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:18:25 AM »

If it was just for the songs that actually have orchestra, I think it would be awesome.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »

If it was just for the songs that actually have orchestra, I think it would be awesome.

Yeah. I can't really imagine WTTJ or My Michelle with an orchestra.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »

But we would have a problem: Prostitute is easily the best orchestra arrangement IMO and I dont see them playing this song with Slash.

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:27:48 PM »

Not really into orchestration.  Didn't care much when Kiss did it.  Or when Metallica did it.  Wouldn't care much if Guns N Roses did it.

But we would have a problem: Prostitute is easily the best orchestra arrangement IMO and I dont see them playing this song with Slash.

Why not?  They played "Sorry" with Slash.  I'd say all bets are off when it comes to "songs they'd play with Slash"!

"Prostitute" is my favorite Chinese Democracy song.  I'd like to hear it live with Slash.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 06:15:25 PM »

Its not easy to pull off. But it can be done. Especially if they actually change it up the arrangement a bit to fit in this bigger sound in some cases.

One example: the orchestration on TWAT is behind the guitars for the most part. They would have to actually have less guitars going sometimes.

Why not?  They played "Sorry" with Slash.  I'd say all bets are off when it comes to "songs they'd play with Slash"!
It's different. Axl said Sorry wasn't about Slash, even thou people always assumed that. He never said the same about Prostitute and what the lyrics trully means.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »

Its not easy to pull off. But it can be done. Especially if they actually change it up the arrangement a bit to fit in this bigger sound in some cases.

One example: the orchestration on TWAT is behind the guitars for the most part. They would have to actually have less guitars going sometimes.
I wouldn't want to see an actual orchestra onstage.  Damn, we can barely see Dizzy, Frank and Melissa as it is now!  But as far as adding an "orchestra sound," Patti Hood plays the freakin' harp in This I Love on the album and with all the audio/video technology and 2 keyboardist/synth stuff going on, I would imagine It's So Easy to duplicate an "orchestra sound" onstage.

It's different. Axl said Sorry wasn't about Slash, even thou people always assumed that. He never said the same about Prostitute and what the lyrics trully means.
There's an old saying "It's only libel if it's not true"  Lips Sealed
But to be on the safe side, just have Axl sing Sorry and Prostitute with his fingers crossed behind his back!!!  hihi

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »

Who would like to see a GN'R concert with a real orchestra? Just like Metallica's "S&M" live album for example.

A a special feature in the future.   It would be cool

Why not have everyone out that actually wrote the music the guys are playing now

Get Brian   Buckethead and Robin out there.   Get tommy out there. 

Have a 3 hr Ppv special.  With everyone

I would bye it cash money. 

Not YouTube style like most people.   Or even worse. Bootleggers.     Ugh.   Leave your house pal!
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »

When did Axl explicitly state that "Sorry" wasn't about Slash?  The one time he mentioned it, he danced around the subject, stating that he wanted people to interpret the songs for themselves.

http://genius.com/Guns-n-roses-sorry-lyrics

With ?Sorry,? like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations.  The main focus on the boards with the track seems to be either Slash or ?the fans? (and the collective of ?the fans? is another thing that doesn?t work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.  For me it?s for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public?s expense and that many of those as well as the public don?t know who to believe.  Also where possible I?d like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations.  Of course that?s not always avoidable.

Sounds kinda like a politician to me.   Wink  Axl was obviously being as diplomatic as possible in order to (as he says) offer the fans the opportunity to interpret for themselves.  That doesn't mean "Sorry" HAS TO be about Slash -- although the statement, anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public?s expense and that many of those as well as the public don?t know who to believe, certainly would've included Slash from Axl's then-point of view, not to mention the "Shut up and sing" line which is directly reminiscent of what Axl claims Slash said to him years ago.

Axl would probably give the exact same explanation about the lyrics of "Prostitute", and in fact he implied that with the first statement..... With ?Sorry,? like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations.  Neither songs includes -- or precludes -- Slash more than the other.

Anyhow, if Axl and Slash have put their differences aside, I highly doubt Slash cares at this point what the Chinese Democracy songs are about.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:14:08 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »

Anyhow, if Axl and Slash have put their differences aside, I highly doubt Slash cares at this point what the Chinese Democracy songs are about.
True but they both have to admit- at least to themselves - that the fans believe otherwise and that belief is based on what both of them had continually ingrained in us over the prior 20 years.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »

When did Axl explicitly state that "Sorry" wasn't about Slash?  The one time he mentioned it, he danced around the subject, stating that he wanted people to interpret the songs for themselves.

http://genius.com/Guns-n-roses-sorry-lyrics

With ?Sorry,? like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations.  The main focus on the boards with the track seems to be either Slash or ?the fans? (and the collective of ?the fans? is another thing that doesn?t work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.  For me it?s for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public?s expense and that many of those as well as the public don?t know who to believe.  Also where possible I?d like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations.  Of course that?s not always avoidable.

Sounds kinda like a politician to me.   Wink  Axl was obviously being as diplomatic as possible in order to (as he says) offer the fans the opportunity to interpret for themselves.  That doesn't mean "Sorry" HAS TO be about Slash -- although the statement, anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public?s expense and that many of those as well as the public don?t know who to believe, certainly would've included Slash from Axl's then-point of view, not to mention the "Shut up and sing" line which is directly reminiscent of what Axl claims Slash said to him years ago.

Axl would probably give the exact same explanation about the lyrics of "Prostitute", and in fact he implied that with the first statement..... With ?Sorry,? like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations.  Neither songs includes -- or precludes -- Slash more than the other.

You're still assuming. Axl is never that direct about anything. If anything, he didnt want to associate the meaning with Slash and "the fans". More than enough to me. Also, we just dont know if he would say the same about Prostitute or not. Now I am assuming: its not about the old band, but rather the prospect of a reunion.

I wouldn't want to see an actual orchestra onstage.  Damn, we can barely see Dizzy, Frank and Melissa as it is now!  But as far as adding an "orchestra sound," Patti Hood plays the freakin' harp in This I Love on the album and with all the audio/video technology and 2 keyboardist/synth stuff going on, I would imagine It's So Easy to duplicate an "orchestra sound" onstage.
Funny, I dont really care that much about the harp in the song.
But I remember Axl said he was proud of the orchestration he did in TIL.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »

You're still assuming. Axl is never that direct about anything. If anything, he didnt want to associate the meaning with Slash and "the fans". More than enough to me. Also, we just dont know if he would say the same about Prostitute or not. Now I am assuming: its not about the old band, but rather the prospect of a reunion.
Flip the coin.  This is a quote from 2010 about a Slash song that he said is NOT about Axl.  As you can read, Slash's 'explanation' on the surface makes total sense TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS NOT ABOUT AXL. But the truth of the matter is that Slash DID include the line in the song knowing very well that 99.999% of the fans are going to believe it's in there aimed squarely between Axl's eyes!!! 
Quote from: Slash
On Slash's self-titled solo debut, in stores Tuesday, the legendary guitarist of Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver fame appears to have included a new song about his former GN'R bandmate Axl Rose.

But appearances can be deceiving.

It was actually Ozzy Osbourne, Slash's collaborator on the track, Crucify The Dead, who penned and sang the lyrics that seem to reference Rose: "A loaded gun jammed by a rose, the thorns are not around your head, your ego cut you 'til you bled."

"It was an Ozzy thing," said Slash, 44, during a recent interview during Canadian Music Week.

"He said the song represents the situation he's had in his relationships with other musicians. Yes, there were some key lines in there that were very suggestive of my experience. But he said, 'No, this is just an overall picture of the issues.' "

Funny, I dont really care that much about the harp in the song.
But I remember Axl said he was proud of the orchestration he did in TIL.
I believe Axl was referring to his n' Chris n Dizzy's synth orchestrations along with Marco Beltrami's orchestration.  We all know Axl has always liked to do it up big n' real (RQ) in the studio.  I think live he's more of the mindset to use the various means of technology available to him.

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »

You're still assuming. Axl is never that direct about anything. If anything, he didnt want to associate the meaning with Slash and "the fans". More than enough to me.

I wasn't assuming anything.  I was refuting your statement where you claimed Axl stated that "Sorry" was NOT about Slash.  That was incorrect; he never said that explicitly, and I illustrated that in my last post.  I am not "assuming" that "Sorry" COULD be (at least in part) about Slash, because it indeed COULD be -- meaning it's a possibility which doesn't mean assumption.  In contradiction to your assertion that Axl said it WASN'T about Slash, which he didn't say.  As I said before, Axl just danced around the subject and didn't give a direct answer, and in fact came right out and said he would rather not give direct answers.

we just dont know if he would say the same about Prostitute. Now I am assuming: its not about the old band

You're doing what now?   hihi

True but they both have to admit- at least to themselves - that the fans believe otherwise

Or not care.  If Slash and Axl managed to put all their differences aside -- a huge undertaking to both -- then I doubt they are concerned any longer what fans think about the song meanings.  It's probably something they laugh about -- if they think about it at all.

I do agree that "Crucify the Dead" and "Sorry" equally seem to be about the other party, regardless of what either Slash or Axl said.  It's also interesting that Ozzy himself was quoted as saying "Crucify the Dead" could've been about Guns N Roses.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:29:27 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »

True but they both have to admit- at least to themselves - that the fans believe otherwise

Or not care.  If Slash and Axl managed to put all their differences aside -- a huge undertaking to both -- then I doubt they are concerned any longer what fans think about the song meanings.  It's probably something they laugh about -- if they think about it at all.

I do agree that "Crucify the Dead" and "Sorry" equally seem to be about the other party, regardless of what either Slash or Axl said.  It's also interesting that Ozzy himself was quoted as saying "Crucify the Dead" could've been about Guns N Roses.

IMO, the Ozzy quote is irrelevant (IMO, most of everything Ozzy or Sharon say is irrelevant).

Slash had to know (as does he n' Axl with Sorry) that the fans' perception is going to be all over about them throwing shade at one another, so to have it included is a deliberate act to solicit that reaction. 

Now, as you said, whether or not they care what the fans or even each other thinks is another story. 

I guess they're both fine with it just as long as neither suggest to bring an orchestra onstage!!! (<--attempt to remain OT  Tongue )

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »

To remain OT:

I think an orchestra arrangement is def not needed right now. The band is back on roots, even dismissing the long synth intros and pre-recorded backing tracks.

You're still assuming. Axl is never that direct about anything. If anything, he didnt want to associate the meaning with Slash and "the fans". More than enough to me.

I wasn't assuming anything.  I was refuting your statement where you claimed Axl stated that "Sorry" was NOT about Slash.  That was incorrect; he never said that explicitly, and I illustrated that in my last post.  I am not "assuming" that "Sorry" COULD be (at least in part) about Slash, because it indeed COULD be -- meaning it's a possibility which doesn't mean assumption.  In contradiction to your assertion that Axl said it WASN'T about Slash, which he didn't say.  As I said before, Axl just danced around the subject and didn't give a direct answer, and in fact came right out and said he would rather not give direct answers.
I was wrong about what Axl said (I dont care that much to search for any other Axl quote, I rather believe in you), but you when you said:

...I think it's pretty clear what you were assuming: that there is a connection between Sorry and Slash.

we just dont know if he would say the same about Prostitute. Now I am assuming: its not about the old band

You're doing what now?   hihi
Like I said, I assumed, because there's nothing that I know of that explains the meaning of Prostitute lyrics. I dont have a problem to say that, why?

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »

Like I said, I assumed, because there's nothing that I know of that explains the meaning of Prostitute lyrics. I dont have a problem to say that, why?

I believe Bridge is referring to this  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »

I believe Bridge is referring to this  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

Hahahahah Not old enough for this. Tongue

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »

I think the vast majority of people at these concerts have never heard the song sorry

That being said I think the vast majority of people at the shows do not even care what the lyrics are about

People might actually think it's a new song and Slash helped write it
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 10:36:33 PM »

The problem with S&M is that Metallica did it very lazily.  It was just them playing their songs as normal, with an orchestra there as well.  They didn't change the songs or rearrange the way they played them to accommodate the orchestra, much less make use of the options that all those extra instruments would have afforded to make them more interesting.  A wasted opportunity.

Conversely, Metsat?ll did a great show with the Estonian National Male Choir, and worked to arrange their songs, plus the traditional songs they were using, to really make the best of three very different elements: a metal band, a classical choir and folk music instruments. 

So, it could work, but it'd only be worthwhile if they put the work in to rearrange their songs to utilise the orchestra.  Done well, it could be great.  Done lazily, it would be Paradise City as normal, but with violins and oboes going on in the background, which would have only (limited) curiosity value.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: