Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Duff interview this sunday for Brazilian TV (now with Izzy's response)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Duff interview this sunday for Brazilian TV (now with Izzy's response)  (Read 63340 times)
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »

I'm done with anything that was and will be done under the name 'GNR' post '96-ish.

This thread is about events that took place in 2016. And maybe last year. Not 1996.

So please, keep your promise. Thank you.

/jarmo

You've got yourself a deal !

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »

I'm done with anything that was and will be done under the name 'GNR' post '96-ish.

Anything else is still fair game.  This is still a GNR discussion forum last time I checked.

See you over in Dead Horse!! Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

I remember interviews with both Izzy and Axl, separatley, from 91-92 that Izzy left because Axl wanted to "lower him down the totem pole", pay him less money because he wasn't running around on stage, and Axl confirming that by saying Izzy wasn't "working hard enough" on stage. I mean, just because he wasn't running around? It is after all Izzys songs and they didn't write new ones whitout him. Standing by the Marshalls is his stage persona and it's really cool! Izzy is a kind of Keith Richards type. Do you think Angus was paying Malcolm less money because they didn''t have the same coreography on stage?

I suspect that whole "not working hard enough" had more to do with the "playing a different song, in a different key" and having to have a tech who's job it specifically was to turn Izzy down in the mix.

And yes, I know that was while Izzy was fucked up.  But you're citing interviews from around that same time, too.

Izzy is'nt reliable? The last tour he was with them he "had a bus, they hade a plane and (he) beat them to the gig". He was there until he was not and he then he quit, for being paid less performing songs he wrote his way and in his style. He was on all their previous tours from 1986, did he  went missing some where? Didn't showed up? O.D.d?

It's simple.  And you can like it or not. But at the end of the day, Izzy walked out of the band, quit with almost no notice, on the eve of a HUGE global album launch and tour. He no showed video filming and, apparently, didn't actually explain why until he quit, later. Reason that away all you want, but it's whats happened.

That goes toward "unreliable".

And pick on the other members all you want, but, again, Izzy was joining their premade construct, this time.  So the negotiations on that front, in terms of THEIR potentially being "unreliable", were complete, and either assurances had been made, or folks were a bit more trusting (and given recent history, they had reason to trust) in those cases.  Has Izzy done anything. other than show up at a few shows (and Axl has always given the impression those visits were sort of impromptu) in recent years, to make the same case?

Honestly, I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up over this, or trying to "blame" either side.

I always thought the "unreliable" with Izzy came from not wanting to do press or music videos or anything else required by the biggest band in the world at the time

With the whole, "axl wanted to demote Izzy and cut his pay back"  I am not really sure what legaly Axl or the band could of done at the time, as Izzy was still part of the partnership.    It was Izzy who left the partnership, it was Izzy who quit the band.  He wasn't fired.   From what I remember, it was mostly about money then as well.  He didn't want to pay for the videos, or the plane, or the late fees, or anything else.  He left the partnership, left any responsibility.....   Kept getting paid huge royalty cheques, but no commitments to anything future or present.   Good or bad

So now after all the above is done.   Now he wants an equal piece of the gravy pie?!?!?!    I totally see why the boys wouldn't give it to him
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »

Anything else is still fair game.  This is still a GNR discussion forum last time I checked.

Well, that should make the forum...erm....interesting for you! if you're done with anything post-96, that doesn't leave much to discuss!

No worries.  I'd rather discuss '85-'96 ad infinitum, then waste my time on what they did to my favourite band.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm sure most of us would love to see Izzy on stage with GN'R in the future. And considering that only a few years ago, the current tour would've seem impossible, so who knows what happens in the future.

I'm just pointing out that I suspect things aren't as black or white as his tweet might make it seem...  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »

Sure enough it's valid to point out that he wasn't in the acting part of the You Could Be Mine video, he should have been! But I always was under the impression he already had quit in the time of the making of Don't Cry (?) But I'm not aware of when it was filmed (?)

He quit (or it was announced he quit) in November of 1991.

I don't remember the premiere date, but the copyright on the video is also 1991.  I'm assuming that would mean it was filmed before he "officially" left. 

Anyone have more concrete info?

The song's release date is Sep 17, 1991.  Back then, videos came out around the same time the song was released.  So, would appear that he no-showed before he quit.  
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm sure most of us would love to see Izzy on stage with GN'R in the future. And considering that only a few years ago, the current tour would've seem impossible, so who knows what happens in the future.

I'm just pointing out that I suspect things aren't as black or white as his tweet might make it seem...  Smiley

/jarmo

This, This, this, so much this!!

I would love to see Izzy up there.

I respect both sides reasoning for why it didn't happen this tour.

Together again,
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »

Axl, Slash and Duff are all getting different percentages. Axl the most, then Slash then Duff. If they all got equal with Izzy of course Axl would get less, Slash would get a little less but Duff would get more so Duff would go for it.

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »

The song's release date is Sep 17, 1991.  Back then, videos came out around the same time the song was released.  So, would appear that he no-showed before he quit.  

Ahhh...the halcyon days when Mtv actually played music videos for most of the day. Smiley

Together again,
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »

Sure enough it's valid to point out that he wasn't in the acting part of the You Could Be Mine video, he should have been! But I always was under the impression he already had quit in the time of the making of Don't Cry (?) But I'm not aware of when it was filmed (?)

He quit (or it was announced he quit) in November of 1991.

I don't remember the premiere date, but the copyright on the video is also 1991.  I'm assuming that would mean it was filmed before he "officially" left. 

Anyone have more concrete info?

Drawn from my memory he played the last show in august and the video was released in september.

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2016, 12:40:29 PM »

Axl, Slash and Duff are all getting different percentages. Axl the most, then Slash then Duff. If they all got equal with Izzy of course Axl would get less, Slash would get a little less but Duff would get more so Duff would go for it.

I don't not believe you, but what's the source for this?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »

So has this actually ever been confirmed any where, other than just opinion?

I have heard an equal 3 way split

Then I heard Axl at 50, both duff and slash at 25..

Then I have heard Axl at 50, slash and duff and 25, for all concert fees.   That Axl has to pay the rest of the band out of his share of the pie.  That all merch sales are split equally.  

I think the 3rd option is most acurate
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »

Drawn from my memory he played the last show in august and the video was released in september.

Sure, but...they didn't PLAY any shows, either, between August and September (in fact, after Izzy's last show, they didn't play another til December 5th...less than 30 days after the announcement).

And, if the video came out in September...pretty good bet it was filmed (with post production, editing, etc needing to be done) MONTHS before that.

In other words, it's likely he played the show in AUGUST AFTER the video for "Don't Cry" was filmed, and he no showed it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:46:54 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »

Then I have heard Axl at 50, slash and duff and 25, for all concert fees.   That Axl has to pay the rest of the band out of his share of the pie.  That all merch sales are split equally.  

I've never seen anything official, either.

And I've seen all 3 of the scenarios you floated too.

I've also heard they were each (the big 3) getting a million per show, flat fee, with an equal split of the GnR share of merch. 

But none of them are more than theories, I don't think.

Together again,
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »

/Jarmo

This, This, this, so much this!!

I would love to see Izzy up there.

I respect both sides reasoning for why it didn't happen this tour.

Iv'e Always thougt both Axl and Izzy seems to be very honests persons. And both are saying it as they see it. Axl was just diplomatic saying on tv he didn't know what to say presumably because he didn't want to discuss  delicate buisness negoations in that forum. If you are pissed off maybe you say that it's bulllshit not knowing what to say but that I certinlay don't think it was Axls intention, as he stressed not ta take shots, to be untruthfull  I still hope they will perform toghether again...some time in this life time soon! beer

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »

Just to flesh out the timeline and add perspective.

Even assuming Izzy walked off stage after his last show on Aug 31, 1991 and, the next day (Sept 1, 1991) told the band he was done....that's 90 days to FIND a replacement, teach them the songs, blocking, etc, get the contracts signed and business stuff taken care of...before a tour that was already booked and tickets were being sold for.

It's also about 2 weeks from a HUGE album launch.

And I think the odds that he quit on Sept 1st are slim, to say the least.

Keep in mind, I don't mean to slag on Izzy, here.  I think the reasons he did it were totally fine.  He was worried about life stuff like happiness, quality of life, and sobriety/sanity.  I get it.

But it is what it is.

Together again,
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »

Sure, but...they didn't PLAY any shows, either, between August and September (in fact, after Izzy's last show, they didn't play another til December 5th...less than 30 days after the announcement).

And, if the video came out in September...pretty good bet it was filmed (with post production, editing, etc needing to be done) MONTHS before that.

In other words, it's likely he played the show in AUGUST AFTER the video for "Don't Cry" was filmed, and he no showed it.

It seems likeley yes. But I don't think even missing the YCBM acting shoot and the Dont Cry video when he was on the way out of the band says anything about his overall reallibility when it comes to touring, being on time , being on stage the whole time etc.

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »

MSL on GNR Truth. Who's been very reliable.

Per MSL:   

"And even if Richard didn't have the spot, the loot isn't being split equally among Axl/Slash/Duff, so why would Axl want to have to split it equally with Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy?"

"let's look at some simple hypothetical numbers.

show grosses 5 million. band's guarantee is 3 million, but there are a lot of expenses. of that 3 million, 1 million goes straight to axl/slash/duff. 500k for axl, 300k for slash, 200k for duff.

in that scenario, izzy would be insisting on 250k axl, 250k slash, 250k duff and 250k izzy.

why would axl or slash agree to that?"

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »

Love you, man...but just like I pooped on the article who's big source was MSL...you lost me at quoting MSL.

Smiley

Your mileage may vary.

Together again,
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »

Just to flesh out the timeline and add perspective.

Even assuming Izzy walked off stage after his last show on Aug 31, 1991 and, the next day (Sept 1, 1991) told the band he was done....that's 90 days to FIND a replacement, teach them the songs, blocking, etc, get the contracts signed and business stuff taken care of...before a tour that was already booked and tickets were being sold for.

It's also about 2 weeks from a HUGE album launch.

And I think the odds that he quit on Sept 1st are slim, to say the least.

Keep in mind, I don't mean to slag on Izzy, here.  I think the reasons he did it were totally fine.  He was worried about life stuff like happiness, quality of life, and sobriety/sanity.  I get it.

But it is what it is.

I guess there is no good time for a break up. If he didn't quit then was he supposed to have continued until Argentina in 93 just to be called reliable? At the time, I think, Axl was hurt that he quit, no matter the time frame. I think he felt let down.  Slash didn't seem to care so much at the time,( finding it more comfartable to handle Gilby wich could never be heard, talk about a guy who must have had his amp turned down very low the whole time! Never heard a riff/guitarr sound from that guy besides on Wild Horses.)

So it's not like Izzy just was a no show at a gig. That would be unreilable. He quit, he resigned. And people had the right to feel let down by that, but feeling let down by something is not the same thing as that person is some one you could not trust even if it may feel like it at the time.

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: