Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Anyone read the new(ish) Mick Wall book?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone read the new(ish) Mick Wall book?  (Read 7571 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« on: November 11, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »

Anyone read the new(ish) Mick Wall book? I have to say, it's release skipped me by a bit. It's called 'Last Of The Giants: The True Story Of Guns N Roses'.

I've been put off a bit by Mick Wall, thanks to Get In The Ring, but was wondering if anyone had bought this and had any thoughts on it?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »

I didn't hear about it. I have his other book, The Band That Time Forgot, was a decent read, but ending was too full of himself. I can't imagine he has that much more to say now after that book. Maybe library read?

If you get it, let us know.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

That book he did on Axl was pure crap.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

Has anyone read the book?

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »

Nope. Read the old one and thought it was obvious the guy wanted to make axl look as bad as possible. I don't know why he keeps writing about them and trying to leak info about the tour and new music on his social media stuff. Attention?

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »

Woah, just saw this, mick on his book about axl-

For those of you not paying attention, I have since publicly denounced the latter book, taking it out of circulation. Why? Because it was written with hate in what was left of my heart. And anger and betrayal and a number of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with Axl and everything to do with my own deeply troubled childhood and subsequent life.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:03:25 AM »

Update:

I have just finished reading this. It's weird actually-  not bad really, although most things in it a big fan will already know. There's a couple of interviews I hadn't heard about, and it's up to date in terms of covering Chinese, and the re-union, which are probably the bits that were of most interest to me. It's pretty harsh about the Chinese era, which I don't think is true at all- some of those shows I think were pretty special.

What baffles me about it though is the amount of errors- in things that suggest the book didn't receive as much research as it should have done. Simple things- the London Arena is described as "now the London O2" which isn't true. I was at the show- the London Arena was a totally different venue in a different part of the city that has now closed down. Similarly their first appearance at Leeds Festival- he says "24 hours later they are on stage in London"- I was at both shows, it was a few days later- time enough for them to fly into Europe and do another show, that isn't even mentioned. The Velvet Revolver show in which Scott Weiland had a rant is stated as being the Glasgow SECC- it wasn't.  Things like this appear throughout the book. They seem minor individually, but put together make you question other stuff in the book. If you're publishing a book on a band, things like this shouldn't be wrong. People like me shouldn't be reading it and saying "nah, that's wrong".

I don't regret reading it, but it's worth going in with your eyes open about these things. A fun read, but not by any means essential.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: