Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 98071 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »

Yanks pulled off a pretty good trade.  They've got 2 ELITE bullpen pitchers and a serviceable 1st/3rd basement for Clippard (who has been terrible since June 1st), a VERY green, highly rated prospect who plays a loggerjam position for the yanks (they have a ton of outfield prospects), and 2 guys unlikely to make big MLB impacts any time soon (if ever).

If the Yanks can get their bullpen right, they should be back on track to having a decent season.

Still fun to watch...though almost as much frustration as fun, lately.  And it's all been from the 2 guys who were SUPPOSED to be automatic (Betances and Chapman).  You gotta wonder if something is going on with Chapman...but if it is, Robertson can step right into the closer role.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »

Always loved Robertson ... hard to knock this move...

Everything you said is accurate.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »

Awesome.  Early moves drives up trade value

kC
Evil Yankees
Bo sox

Who wants..... 

Mvps.  Young stud starting pitchers, veterans

Take them all please
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »

Just had to come and quickly say Sevarino is dealing tonight.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:49 AM »

101.2...fastest pitch thrown by a starter in MLB this year.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2017, 01:51:33 AM »

101.2...fastest pitch thrown by a starter in MLB this year.
Just wish Chapman could've preserved the shutout.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2017, 11:41:22 PM »

Did you just see where Judge hit that ball Pilf?  Shocked
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2017, 09:53:45 AM »

Yup. I'm still not sure its landed yet....

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »

Yup. I'm still not sure its landed yet....
If the roof were open it might've left Safeco.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »

Well...it looks like the level of Jays talk will decline sharply. Sad

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »

Price had MRI on pitching elbow. Rumor is he's done for this season...and, as we know, if TJ surgery is needed...most of next.

We'll see if the rumors are true.  Up til now...thought was just tendonitis/strain.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »

Tanaka dealing in the Bronx tonight.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »

Gardner with the walk off in 2 of the last 3.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

Gardner with the walk off in 2 of the last 3.

I am nervous about the package we might be giving up for Sonny Gray... I just don't think he's that good... he's under control for two more years, so that's the real appeal.

I wanted to take Verlander off of Detroit's hands... assume the money and not have to give up any pieces.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »

I am nervous about the package we might be giving up for Sonny Gray... I just don't think he's that good... he's under control for two more years, so that's the real appeal.

I wanted to take Verlander off of Detroit's hands... assume the money and not have to give up any pieces.

Gray is a decent #3, with a notable injury history. His upside is he is under team control til 2020...and since CC, Pinaeda, and potentially Tanaka (no way he opts out, but it's possible) could all be gone at the end of this year, it's a cheap, long term, solution to rotation questions not just this year, but next.

But they are buying high, by trying to do this deal in season.  I don't think he's enough of a difference maker to sway the Yanks chances at a WS title this year, either way.  He's essentially replacing Pinaeda in the rotation, and while he's an upgrade over him, he's not THAT much of an upgrade (about a half a point in WAR).

I'm with you, by the way. Cash should not overpay for him.  A's seem to want Mateo AND Florial, plus 2 more top 40 prospects.  That's too rich for my blood.  Either/or, and we're in business.

We'll see.  If they really want him, they could go get him this winter and probably pay a LOT less.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »

Gray is a decent #3, with a notable injury history. His upside is he is under team control til 2020...and since CC, Pinaeda, and potentially Tanaka (no way he opts out, but it's possible) could all be gone at the end of this year, it's a cheap, long term, solution to rotation questions not just this year, but next.

But they are buying high, by trying to do this deal in season.  I don't think he's enough of a difference maker to sway the Yanks chances at a WS title this year, either way.  He's essentially replacing Pinaeda in the rotation, and while he's an upgrade over him, he's not THAT much of an upgrade (about a half a point in WAR).

I'm with you, by the way. Cash should not overpay for him.  A's seem to want Mateo AND Florial, plus 2 more top 40 prospects.  That's too rich for my blood.  Either/or, and we're in business.

We'll see.  If they really want him, they could go get him this winter and probably pay a LOT less.

I am not unhappy with what we gave up... two guys who are out for a long time... and Mateo... lets face it... with Didi and Torres... you knew eventually he was a goner if the right deal came along.

So I am happy with it considering Gray is under control for two more years... and they needed to fill holes in that rotation now and for next year.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »

I am not unhappy with what we gave up... two guys who are out for a long time... and Mateo... lets face it... with Didi and Torres... you knew eventually he was a goner if the right deal came along.

So I am happy with it considering Gray is under control for two more years... and they needed to fill holes in that rotation now and for next year.

No, me either. Great deal, imho, for the yanks. Like...cash used jedi mind tricks great.

Mateo will actually, probably, end up in the of, not if. I think, most recently, he was projecting to ge center fielder.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:54:19 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »

Price had MRI on pitching elbow. Rumor is he's done for this season...and, as we know, if TJ surgery is needed...most of next.

We'll see if the rumors are true.  Up til now...thought was just tendonitis/strain.
He says he'll be back soon. Doesn't sound too serious.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »

Man gutsy 5 innings for Severino tonight without his best stuff.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »

He says he'll be back soon. Doesn't sound too serious.

Just FYI:

He said the same thing, via SM, shortly after they found the UCL tear/strain/whatever it really is, back in March-ish.  He was super optimistic he'd be back quickly.

It took him all of spring training, and most of the month of May (so about 12 weeks) to recover from it.  And about 7 weeks later, it's back again.

I know they're saying it's "less severe" than in spring training, but I wouldn't take his word for it or the Sox word for it (who, while saying it's less severe, also wouldn't rule out losing him for the season in the next breath), all things considered.

It's definitely not a complete tear...it doesn't look like he's going to opt for surgery...so that's better than originally expected.  BUT....lets see how long until they clear him to actually pitch.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:34:53 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: