Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AfD 30th Anniversary
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AfD 30th Anniversary  (Read 50892 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »

No clue, but I booked my hotel just in case.  

You booked a hotel where and what date?  Huh

/jarmo

I'm just guessing, but in LA around July 21?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

That's what I assumed as well.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »

Can you see Adler and Izzy playing with them for this? I really can't. My speculative guess would be, if anything happens, it would be the current incarnation playing through AFD all the way, perhaps with the odd guest, to announce an AFD deluxe reissue.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

Can you see Adler and Izzy playing with them for this? I really can't. My speculative guess would be, if anything happens, it would be the current incarnation playing through AFD all the way, perhaps with the odd guest, to announce an AFD deluxe reissue.

Not sure.. Adler seemed to know things were in the works for the anniversary, although it didn't come across as he knew any details.

When asked to comment on GN'R by Rolling Stone, he now says he can't comment on them at all.

Izzy... well, if he by principle (i.e. only offered guest appearances during the tour) said no to join them last year I don't think we'll see him.

If it was because of the money (not getting the same cut), I can see him joining them for some exclusive shows with a contract giving him an equal share.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »

I do not see Izzy or Adler playing.  I do not even see a commemorative show.

I damn sure don't see some sort of super deluxe bonus edition re-issue.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »

Agree... Tongue

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »

I actually would want a chinese deluxe reissue if we could get new tunes. We have pretty much everything we can get from AFD. Anyhow, all pipe dreams at this point.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »

I do not see Izzy or Adler playing.  I do not even see a commemorative show.

I damn sure don't see some sort of super deluxe bonus edition re-issue.

Really? Do you see nothing happening? How come?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »

I actually would want a chinese deluxe reissue if we could get new tunes. We have pretty much everything we can get from AFD. Anyhow, all pipe dreams at this point.

With you on that one. Way more interest in Chinese era unreleased stuff. As discussed before though, we're in the minority with that one. A Chinese reissue would NOT sell. In fact, it would probably even be laughed at, sadly.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »

Right now, this looks like little more than a moneymaking operation for all involved.

Which I hardly begrudge them.  They pissed away YEARS of paydays acting like children.  Perfectly natural to want to recoup that. 

I think this is their most professional tour, and viewed in a lot of ways, might be their best overall tour.  They are killing every night, no extraneous bullshit or drama, and the fans are over the moon happy.

But do you get much of a vibe they are a band again?  I don't, to be honest.  I get more a cast of a movie vibe.  Meaning, they all have their parts to play, they play them to the best of their ability and put on a great show.  But, ultimately, just guys doing a job for huge coin.

I don't know I see much in the future, save for future tours.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »

Right now, this looks like little more than a moneymaking operation for all involved.

Which I hardly begrudge them.  They pissed away YEARS of paydays acting like children.  Perfectly natural to want to recoup that. 

I think this is their most professional tour, and viewed in a lot of ways, might be their best overall tour.  They are killing every night, no extraneous bullshit or drama, and the fans are over the moon happy.

But do you get much of a vibe they are a band again?  I don't, to be honest.  I get more a cast of a movie vibe.  Meaning, they all have their parts to play, they play them to the best of their ability and put on a great show.  But, ultimately, just guys doing a job for huge coin.

I agree with all that, totally. I get no vibe they're a 'band' in the sense we think of most bands. It's a tight show, for money. I'm more than OK with that- I can't wait for my chance to see it. I don't even think whether it's a good or bad thing how they are now- I just see it how it is. Live shows. With no evidence, anywhere, whatsoever, that anything other is planned or even considered. I have no expectations of anything more, except, as you say, maybe a few more tours.

What's strange about this though is a) that sign and b) the comments from Adler. OK, we can write Adler's comments off, as we have done for many many years now, but that sign certainly throws a bit of curiosity in though? All the other signs we've had have led to something......

Personally I really think something is planned. But that something may simply just be an exhibition of photos of the time or similar.

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 04:00:10 AM »

I agree -- the chemistry is certainly surprising, but definitely not a focused, cohesive "take over the world" type band.  Firstly, we have a hybrid lineup including some original members (and lacking others) and some of Axl's hired hands.  Then we have Axl's own talk of new material that "might include Duff or Slash, if they are feeling it".  And of course there's the fact that we all know damn well -- Axl alone still owns the GNR name and the others are all contract players.  Regardless of what Slash or Duff choose to do after their contracts expire is insignificant -- the fact that their tenures in GNR expire at all is what lacks the "band" feeling.

But in the end, their heyday was decades ago.  We shouldn't expect them to even come close to capturing that zeitgeist again.  It's staggering to me just to watch the youtube videos.  A freakin' year ago, I would never have believed that Axl would share the stage with either Slash or Steven again.... and here he was sharing the stage with both simultaneously!  Not long ago, it was inconceivable to me that even 2 of the original members would tour together again, and within the last year, there have been times when 4 of the 5 originals were on stage together!   Shocked

No, what we are experiencing right now is "extra".  Having Slash and Axl on the same stage again -- truly miraculous extra!  Having Steven involved just a little was even more "extra".  If Steven and Izzy were there full time?  Finally a true reunion, and perhaps the ultimate extra, but even the five original members together wouldn't lend into the concept of "forever" any more than the lineup that we have now.

Anything that happens from here (continued tours, Izzy/Steven appearances, new music, etc) will continue to be extra.  And we should definitely be thankful that we got any of it at all.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:04:52 AM by Bridge » Logged
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »

No clue, but I booked my hotel just in case.  

You booked a hotel where and what date?  Huh

/jarmo

I'm just guessing, but in LA around July 21?

Haha yea, I figured that would be obvious.  July 21 in LA.  You nailed it! 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »

I wonder..... That would mean the gear needs to go from Israel to LA, instead of St Louis (where the North American leg is starting)....

Yes, there's a gap in the tour dates, but is it a viable option?
In comparison, the Troubadour show made sense since all the gear was already there for Coachella....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »

I wonder..... That would mean the gear needs to go from Israel to LA, instead of St Louis (where the North American leg is starting)....

Yes, there's a gap in the tour dates, but is it a viable option?
In comparison, the Troubadour show made sense since all the gear was already there for Coachella....

/jarmo

Haha look, I know it is all rumors/heresay that is highly unlikely at this point.  But bottom line is I can cancel the hotel room at any time before July 19 and not be charged for it and I haven't booked  a flight yet.  I'd rather be prepared in case something happens.  And you know better than me Jarmo, but I figured the big gear can go to St. Louis while the band comes to LA and plays a club show that I am given VIP tickets for.  That works right?   ok
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »

Haha.

Sounds like you've got it all planned out.  hihi

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »

...show at the Whiskey where you re-record a live version and video of WTTJ. Wink

Which is released as a single shortly after.

Alternately, if we're playing the what if/pipe dream game, what I would absolutely go freaking NUTS for, is a free streamed live concert to celebrate the freaking bazillion odd copies sold of AFD.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:36:18 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

My sentiments exactly.  And you're right, after all the years of fighting their respective fights against this happening for years upon years, I honestly can't begrudge them the money they're making from this simply being a touring band.

I would love to get a no bullshit answer from Axl regarding whether he does have any honest to God desire to put out an album with Slash & Duff on it in the near future.  You'd think at this point that would be a no brainer as far as next steps go, but I can totally see some odd parabolic response from Axl regarding where another record stands. Something like: "As momentous N' arduous as this past year's touring has been, N' for no lack of trying, the logistics N relationships involved in putting together a new Guns record are by no means set in stone."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:26:47 PM by sofine11 » Logged
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »

Well,this anniversary is last chance for Axl to play and reunite with Slash...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

Well,this anniversary is last chance for Axl to play and reunite with Slash...

Never gonna happen dude. Enjoy the present!  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: