Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AfD 30th Anniversary
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AfD 30th Anniversary  (Read 51062 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »

I must agree. How do you do Times Square advertising? Anyone who is capable of buying that plane ticket and negotiate their way into this some amazing and glorious square see all this.

But they don't care, why would they, aren't there other things to see and do in the city.

But most importantly this was an invitation only gig and should have been a celebration of something.

But nothing was celebrated, just nothing.

For a very long time we hear nothing from the organisers. Could they just come out and explain what was this.

Life will go on but for the future history books, what was this and why?
This was a concert sponsored by SiriusXM to help get the band exposure to their millions of subscribers before taking off on their next round of US dates. Maybe some people tuned in and decided they'd like to see them live this summer. As for the show itself, it was invite only. A lot of SiriusXM employees, celebrities, contest winners, etc. I can only imagine the backlash if they did play AFD in its entirety last night in front of that crowd. The same people would be complaining that the real fans didn't get to experience that and the band doesn't care about them, blah, blah, blah.

It is what it is. This is reality. Don't expect to be surprised until you actually are. I don't know what else to tell you. Just some friendly advice. Take it or leave it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »

I must agree. How do you do Times Square advertising? Anyone who is capable of buying that plane ticket and negotiate their way into this some amazing and glorious square see all this.

But they don't care, why would they, aren't there other things to see and do in the city.

But most importantly this was an invitation only gig and should have been a celebration of something.

For a very long time we hear nothing from the organisers. Could they just come out and explain what was this.

This was a concert sponsored by SiriusXM to help get the band exposure to their millions of subscribers before taking off on their next round of US dates. Maybe some people tuned in and decided they'd like to see them live this summer. As for the show itself, it was invite only. A lot of SiriusXM employees, celebrities, contest winners, etc. I can only imagine the backlash if they did play AFD in its entirety last night in front of that crowd. The same people would be complaining that the real fans didn't get to experience that and the band doesn't care about them, blah, blah, blah.

It is what it is. This is reality. Don't expect to be surprised until you actually are. I don't know what else to tell you. Just some friendly advice. Take it or leave it.
True.
Maybe they don't feel the need to celebrate AFD. Maybe we just got to experience a great show, GNR fans across the world, together. Maybe we should stop pissing and moaning about everything?

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

Words to fucking live by, man. Words to fucking live by. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

None of them need the money but maybe Melissa is on a little lower cut.

I expect to be very surprised if they dare to tour Europe again under the same pretence. Of course I would go but please just don't do that. Why this is a selling competition.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »

I expect to be very surprised if they dare to tour Europe again under the same pretence. Of course I would go but please just don't do that. Why this is a selling competition.

If they do tour Europe again, on this ticket, they wouldn't be doing stadiums.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

That's easy for you to say that they don't need the money. I'm sure they strongly disagree with you and frankly you're in no position to speak intelligently about someone else's financial situation. It's business, try not to take it personal.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »

That's easy for you to say that they don't need the money. I'm sure they strongly disagree with you and frankly you're in no position to speak intelligently about someone else's financial situation. It's business, try not to take it personal.

Yeah, I'd also like to know how much their accountants are earning for taking care of some bills. When you have that much money you need people around to take care of it.

If you think that is not happening just tell an alternative.
johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »

Today is a special day for me.....I got Appetite when I was 12 years old back in 2000 and still really no taste in music. Lets just say that changed instantly and GNR have been there for me since then. From the 'Axl" era to the "NITL" era it has all been so great. I was blessed to see them 4 times last year and it looks like ill see them 5 times this fall in the tri-state area of NYC. Enjoy the day Gunners i'll be cranking it all day!  peace

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »

I love when someone decides that someone else has 'made enough money'.

This also was more about the 30 million subscribers that now have the ability to hear a top notch live performance, vs. the 1500 that were in the room... Sure they played to them and fed off of their energy, but for both Guns and Sirius this was about putting asses in seats in front of Radios, computers, Amazon Echo's, and smartphone/tablets. With that said, why risk deviating from the script on that kind of stage? DX said it best earlier today, do you want that large live streaming audience to hear them fumble though Locomotive, IRS, or Anything Goes? What they needed to do was 1000% avoid a 2002 VMA heading into the second leg of this tour to hit the US which has been an under performing market for Axl in the years prior to NITL.

Last nights set front to back was about the best I've heard from the this tour (obviously audio quality helps)... but you have to realize not everyone jumps on a message board every day that publishes the setlist, periscope links, and you tube recordings of every show. I would say conservatively that tens of thousands of people experienced that for the first time last night, and they certainly didn't sleepwalk though the performance.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »

I would say conservatively that tens of thousands of people experienced that for the first time last night, and they certainly didn't sleepwalk though the performance.

And they've replayed the show TWICE, so far, today, during more "casual fan" friendly hours, too.

So...there's definitely a TON of exposure that comes from this.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2017, 03:12:47 PM »

Been a long long time since I posted.

I still check in every so often. I see that some of us are still grinding through the thick mud.

TO comment on topic, I'm very surprised that no 30th Anniversary AFD hasn't been announced.

Very disappointing. Would love to get a 3 disc set. Remaster it maybe, demos from that era... anything and the 3rd disc can be maybe the 99 AFD, or even ritz or something. Would be great.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

I still check in every so often. I see that some of us are still grinding through the thick mud.

TO comment on topic, I'm very surprised that no 30th Anniversary AFD hasn't been announced.

Very disappointing. Would love to get a 3 disc set. Remaster it maybe, demos from that era... anything and the 3rd disc can be maybe the 99 AFD, or even ritz or something. Would be great.

Don't think you're alone in that. It's pretty remarkable, all considered.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »

Yeah. With Gn'R, since Axl holds the keys to the kingdom... sadly... the common sense thing or the direct thing is never really there.

Gn'R fans are starving for releases. There's more in the vault than we think. You would just think that they would "for sure" release a 30th thing for AFD.

AFD is a top 10 album of all time to me. It is very very good. It's great... it's whatever other word I can say. It's just awesome. I think maybe Axl is still not wanting to "live through Appetite".

He has always wanted to "bury" it as he said years ago. Does he feel that way now? Probably not. It is very strange that no news of a special edition has broken. Just doesn't make any sense. Why not celebrate an album he made 30 years ago? He'd make a lot of money off it... even more money.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »

Yeah. With Gn'R, since Axl holds the keys to the kingdom... sadly... the common sense thing or the direct thing is never really there.

Gn'R fans are starving for releases. There's more in the vault than we think. You would just think that they would "for sure" release a 30th thing for AFD.

AFD is a top 10 album of all time to me. It is very very good. It's great... it's whatever other word I can say. It's just awesome. I think maybe Axl is still not wanting to "live through Appetite".

He has always wanted to "bury" it as he said years ago. Does he feel that way now? Probably not. It is very strange that no news of a special edition has broken. Just doesn't make any sense. Why not celebrate an album he made 30 years ago? He'd make a lot of money off it... even more money.

I can totally see why he wouldn't want to celebrate it, and would want to 'bury' it - no sense on focusing on the past, wants to move on, etc etc. All that would make perfect sense, and I really respect him for that.....so let's have a look in that vault then, and move on with some fresh stuff. It's almost as if he doesn't want to really acknowledge the past, but also doesn't want to look to the future. It's a truly odd mix. I'll remain baffled as to the existence of those 'Appetite30' posters for months I think!

Slashrose
Rocker

Twitter - @sonicmonstersk8

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »

Why the hell are not they releasing a deluxe version of AFD?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »

Why the hell are not they releasing a deluxe version of AFD?

Why are they not even acknowledging it at all
cineater
Legend

« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »

I don't get it.  Isn't it the fans' job to be cheering 30 years of AFD and showing the band some love.  How stuck up would they be if they went around putting it in your face?  I feel like we have really let them.  All we ever do is want and want more.  When is it time to give back?  Anybody remember when Eva took up a collection and welcomed Axl and the band back with a full page add in the LA Times?  We don't have to wait for the band to start the party, they are the guest.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »

Preach.  What's weird is that they are acknowledging the anniversary (Times Square sign) but then are not following it up with any special release.  You'd think it would be one or the other.  I just got the sense the everything was building towards this...the Sirius channel, the ads, the Apollo show.  But then the curtain drops on the 30th anniversary and...nothing.  Just weird.  The iron really couldn't be hotter.

Also, people say nobody buys albums anymore.  Release a special edition AFD and let's see if that holds true.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »

Also, people say nobody buys albums anymore.  Release a special edition AFD and let's see if that holds true.

They just released a few different options for a Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary, it isn't selling. It did bump the traditional release into the top 60, but the re-release isn't selling.

I am a massive GnR fan, and think AFD is one of the most important rock records of all time, but lets not try to compare them to the Beatles and Sgt Pepper.

Nothing sells these days. It's all about streaming and social media.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »

They just released a few different options for a Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary, it isn't selling. It did bump the traditional release into the top 60, but the re-release isn't selling.

I am a massive GnR fan, and think AFD is one of the most important rock records of all time, but lets not try to compare them to the Beatles and Sgt Pepper.

Nothing sells these days. It's all about streaming and social media.

I just bought two albums today.  Each one was 40 bucks.

The record store in the mall was just packed....

Shit is selling.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: