Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AfD 30th Anniversary
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AfD 30th Anniversary  (Read 51188 times)
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2017, 05:21:56 AM »

All we ever do is want and want more.  When is it time to give back? 

I think we've been 'giving back' enough since '96 ?

It's time to get something in return.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »

Been a long long time since I posted.

I still check in every so often. I see that some of us are still grinding through the thick mud.

TO comment on topic, I'm very surprised that no 30th Anniversary AFD hasn't been announced.

Very disappointing. Would love to get a 3 disc set. Remaster it maybe, demos from that era... anything and the 3rd disc can be maybe the 99 AFD, or even ritz or something. Would be great.

Don't think you're alone in that. It's pretty remarkable, all considered.

Yeah. With Gn'R, since Axl holds the keys to the kingdom... sadly... the common sense thing or the direct thing is never really there.

Gn'R fans are starving for releases. There's more in the vault than we think. You would just think that they would "for sure" release a 30th thing for AFD.

AFD is a top 10 album of all time to me. It is very very good. It's great... it's whatever other word I can say. It's just awesome. I think maybe Axl is still not wanting to "live through Appetite".

He has always wanted to "bury" it as he said years ago. Does he feel that way now? Probably not. It is very strange that no news of a special edition has broken. Just doesn't make any sense. Why not celebrate an album he made 30 years ago? He'd make a lot of money off it... even more money.

Preach.  What's weird is that they are acknowledging the anniversary (Times Square sign) but then are not following it up with any special release.  You'd think it would be one or the other.  I just got the sense the everything was building towards this...the Sirius channel, the ads, the Apollo show.  But then the curtain drops on the 30th anniversary and...nothing.  Just weird.  The iron really couldn't be hotter.

Also, people say nobody buys albums anymore.  Release a special edition AFD and let's see if that holds true.

That's how I feel. Why the posters? Was it just a coincidence they chose to do a smaller show on that day? It really is weird. As for the sales issue- i don't think that's it. It might not sell like it would have done 20  years ago, but the death of music sales is a bit overplayed. The beatles have so so much product out there that the audience is diluted. A rerelease would sell ok. Certainly well enough to make money.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »

I remember the days when people complained to all ends of the earth that they played too much from Appetite.

This is the lineup, this is the basic set list, this is the show, this is what you're going to get. If you haven't figured that out yet or don't like it, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of people are loving what they're doing right now, so they must be doing something right.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »

I remember the days when people complained to all ends of the earth that they played too much from Appetite.

This is the lineup, this is the basic set list, this is the show, this is what you're going to get. If you haven't figured that out yet or don't like it, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of people are loving what they're doing right now, so they must be doing something right.

Yep! Things change for sure.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2017, 02:18:26 AM »

All we ever do is want and want more.  When is it time to give back? 

I think we've been 'giving back' enough since '96 ?

Not giving back? I don't care how much exactly I have spent on flights to weird foreign countries, on accommodation and the tickets are exactly not cheap either. You also have to buy some food and drinks to survive.

izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »

Also, people say nobody buys albums anymore.  Release a special edition AFD and let's see if that holds true.

They just released a few different options for a Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary, it isn't selling. It did bump the traditional release into the top 60, but the re-release isn't selling.

I am a massive GnR fan, and think AFD is one of the most important rock records of all time, but lets not try to compare them to the Beatles and Sgt Pepper.

Nothing sells these days. It's all about streaming and social media.

I just bought two albums today.  Each one was 40 bucks.

The record store in the mall was just packed....

Shit is selling.

You know, I really hate to get into this kind of conversations, cause I don't find the point in it - but as a former record store owner I find your words fucking insulting.

You bought two albums? whoop de fucking do!
Hey Warner/ Universal/ Sony - and all you whinny musicians (a la The Who's Roger Daltrey) quit your whining - the B-Man just said people ARE buying records!, hell, he just bought TWO! for FULL PRICE!

This industry is dying, for multiple reasons - downloading motherfuckers (the words of Axl lol), the big companies cashing in and not paying enough to the artist are only two reasons.

So yeah, I LOVE to hear something new from GN'R, I don't mind the format, an album or a fucking ep or a even demo sessions streaming on fucking Bandcamp - but you gotta look at the big picture here.

How many albums have gone diamond certification in the US in the last decade?
Adele sold 11,800,000 in 2011 and 9,300,000 in 2015.
Garth Brooks sold 5,000,000 in 2007, and it was a Ultimate Hits album!
Beyonc?, Lemonade has sold 2.5 million - physical copies and digital downloads!

So I'm sorry, but the fact that you've seen a packed store means shit.

[/rent]
Jim out
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »

So tired of Jim's fan myth that bands don't need to release albums anymore.
Only on GNR  forums do I read Bizarro world stuff like this.  Roll Eyes
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2017_albums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2016_albums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2015_albums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014_albums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2013_albums
 Huh
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2017, 09:23:27 AM »

You're cute, but that's not what I said.
My point was that we're not in the same world where it's obvious for a band to put out an album.
Look at the circumstances that's all I'm saying.

Not once I said that they SHOULDN'T nor WOULDN'T do it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:26:24 AM by izzyjim » Logged
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »

Will always be grateful for seeing them in 88 on AFD tour. Have seen them many times since, but they were magical opening up for Aerosmith.  Smiley
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »

Will always be grateful for seeing them in 88 on AFD tour. Have seen them many times since, but they were magical opening up for Aerosmith.  Smiley

Huge regret in my life was not seeing them on that tour. Had tickets and my buddy and I were driving up from San Diego to Costa Mesa to the show and my car broke down on the 5 freeway... Sad

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »

My first time seeing them was opening for Aerosmith, too. Orange County Fairgrounds in New York in August of '88.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »

This was it man. That day.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JffDPevLJY
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »

I don't see the big whoop over a 30 year anniversary.  Is that more important than a 20 or 25 year anniversary? Are they supposed to have some hoopla or a reissue every 5 years?  Did they acknowledge the anniversary at 25 years?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

I don't see the big whoop over a 30 year anniversary.  Is that more important than a 20 or 25 year anniversary? Are they supposed to have some hoopla or a reissue every 5 years?  Did they acknowledge the anniversary at 25 years?

Few reasons i guess:
30 is a big number
The band are in the middle of a tour
The tour fearures original members most  thought would never play together again
The band made it a big deal by putting up posters etc.

None of the other annivesaries had all those factors. Of course it all amounted to fuck all anyway, so it doesn't matter in the slightest really!

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »

Few reasons i guess:
30 is a big number
The tour fearures original members most  thought would never play together again

None of the other annivesaries had all those factors. Of course it all amounted to fuck all anyway, so it doesn't matter in the slightest really!

All good points....

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2017, 01:29:45 AM »

That 'give back' post made me puke in my mouth a little. Haha, yeah, tickets are free. Poor, poor Guns N' Roses.
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:09 AM »

Few reasons i guess:
30 is a big number

You're still upset about the posters, eh?  hihi
I seriously wonder now what was their purpose..
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2017, 04:03:21 AM »

Are they supposed to have some hoopla or a reissue every 5 years?

How many reissues have GN'R released?  Grin

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2017, 04:28:19 AM »

Few reasons i guess:
30 is a big number

You're still upset about the posters, eh?  hihi
I seriously wonder now what was their purpose..

Selling more copies of afd those days and miliking a little the cow again? Grin

Anyway, it's not about "giving back" a shit, it's about showing you can leave sometimes your fuckin comfort zone, but this is tipically Axl: once he has an ounce of true recognition here he comes with the "I don't care" attitude and then he starts  losing his voice, partying hard, puttin on weight etc etc. Even if he comes back with ac dc we won't see again the Axl Rose's beast mode again cause in his mind he doesn't have to prove anything again.
I mean he's right and he can do whatever he wants, it's his life, but you know you need really few surprises to make gnr fans happy, really few, look at the adler thing  love. The reunion thing is big still, but 1 year & half has gone already. Time flies, we don't have  an interview, we don't know what is going to happen, etc etc I mean we have nothing more than routine, same routine of the past mmm 20 years, again. And when u see things like these "30 years of afd" and nothing happens, "big announcement" and they simply add some new dates (and if somebody would ask axl about that he would go like "i didn't know anything about that")...well...u can't think fans (or better hardcore fans) could be really happy about that. It's nothing more than this. Plus we don't hear new music since when? 2008? Think about that before talking about "giving back".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:35:43 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: