Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Duff n?fingers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff n?fingers  (Read 4284 times)
Sillything
VIP

« on: March 10, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »

It?s obviously up to Duff. But man! I don?t like him playing whith his fingers. It should be with a pick in I my taste, totally! Love that punk feel whith the pick. Thoughts?

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »

I wouldn't say "should", but yeah, I'm with you here
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »

I love it when fans tell band members what to do.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »

I love it when fans tell band members what to do.

There you go buddy. That was your shot at misreading like everything I wrote. Thanks for your unattention.

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »

I think of it both visually, image wise, what you want to represent. But just not visually of course the sound and the style  of the sound ends upp different.
Could you imagine Lemmy whith out a pick? And let's say Flea with a pick? Fingers, more Prince-funk, pick more Sid-Punk.
Duff has played with a pick for a long time and I understand it feels refreshing to change. If Guns decide to record again I hope he changes back. I'm not a musician but I imagine the bassline in Sweet  Child with a pick in the recording and it would be nice to have the sound with that tone and feel.

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »

Well, its been a while, but this thread def needed my input  hihi

well, there's nothing wrong with wanting duff to sound exactly like he did till 93, he only played with a pick back then.

The issue is, he is a better bassist now a days, and knowing how and when to use the pick and how and when to use your fingers means you know a lot about dynamics.

Slower tempo songs sound better if attacked with the fingers, even fast paced ones if your fingers are any good (see robert trujillo for example that guy can finger like its no ones business)

But duff usually sticks to the pick for faster more aggressive songs and uses fingers to control the dynamics and feel for slow paced ones. And that just means he knows what he's doing.

I can't say i missed him playing with the fingers back in the day. it did give him a very punk rock attitude and it sounded amazing always. but he's had music lessons and really stepped outside of his comfort zone so its great to see someone playing better at 50 than at 20. music is about progress and I'm happy for him. he's an inspiration as a musician and as a person because he doesnt settle for less and works to be better every day. thats very punk rock by itself

Chinese Democracy!
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 03:15:11 AM »

well, there's nothing wrong with wanting duff to sound exactly like he did till 93, he only played with a pick back then.

The issue is, he is a better bassist now a days, and knowing how and when to use the pick and how and when to use your fingers means you know a lot about dynamics.

Slower tempo songs sound better if attacked with the fingers, even fast paced ones if your fingers are any good (see robert trujillo for example that guy can finger like its no ones business)

But duff usually sticks to the pick for faster more aggressive songs and uses fingers to control the dynamics and feel for slow paced ones. And that just means he knows what he's doing.

I can't say i missed him playing with the fingers back in the day. it did give him a very punk rock attitude and it sounded amazing always. but he's had music lessons and really stepped outside of his comfort zone so its great to see someone playing better at 50 than at 20. music is about progress and I'm happy for him. he's an inspiration as a musician and as a person because he doesnt settle for less and works to be better every day. thats very punk rock by itself

Absolutley agree  it's very punk to be what you can be and do what you want. I also understand and appreciate Duff evolving and progressing as a musician. Like I started the thread; He obviously knows best what to play and how to play. I just noticed this progression  and wanted to give some love to the twang sound the pick gives off in the bassline for the Don't Cry demo. It's part of what makes the song unique. Just another great proffessional player is not always what you want to hear. We've got the studio sessions guys for that.

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:40:10 AM »

Just another great proffessional player is not always what you want to hear. We've got the studio sessions guys for that.

While I do understand what you mean, it's kinda offensive.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »

Just another great proffessional player is not always what you want to hear. We've got the studio sessions guys for that.

While I do understand what you mean, it's kinda offensive.

How is it offensive? To you or who? I just want to talk nerd music stuff with fellow fans. Talking about the tone of the bass sound for GNR does'nt work over lunch at the office. Not much here either it seems but c' ommon, try! You can do it!
How do you feel about the bass sound in the Dont' Cry demo vs. the studio version? Already the Illussions were over produced in some ways in my frame of preference.
I'm not sayin players playing with their fingers are not great players, they are! And you can rock playing with your fingers. Robert Trujilo was mentioned by someone, I've mentioned Flea. The Neurotic Outsiders record is one of my favourite records of all time and it's rocking and John Taylor is great! I think it's commonly viewed playing with your fingers is more musical and harder to do, it's comes of more like you are a virtuoso. It's just a matter of taste in music I love Rage Against The Machine but I'm not a fan of their bass sound in my GNR. How about you? Feel like having the RATM bass player funk slap his way throug It's So Easy and You Could be Mine?

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »

Me personally I like it raw, TSOL or Dead Boys style. I adore John Paul Jones & John Entwistle but that's a whole different thing.
As for GN'R - I wouldn't change a damn thing. Overproduced or not, I love it as is.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »

Me personally I like it raw, TSOL or Dead Boys style. I adore John Paul Jones & John Entwistle but that's a whole different thing.
As for GN'R - I wouldn't change a damn thing. Overproduced or not, I love it as is.

It's all good! Just hope Slash doesn't drops his pick and let's his nails grow and play with them only.  If that happens I'm out! hihi hihi hihi

Helsinki 2010
Gothenburg 2018
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »

Absolutley agree  it's very punk to be what you can be and do what you want. I also understand and appreciate Duff evolving and progressing as a musician. Like I started the thread; He obviously knows best what to play and how to play. I just noticed this progression  and wanted to give some love to the twang sound the pick gives off in the bassline for the Don't Cry demo. It's part of what makes the song unique. Just another great proffessional player is not always what you want to hear. We've got the studio sessions guys for that.

I totally get what you're saying. I feel it with slash and have felt it for the last few years. The better he got at playing the less interested i became, i liked it better when he was improvising around mistakes and drunk onstage. it was def more punk rock and def something i grew up seeing. He is playing 10 times better today, but i found it more interesting when it sounded more raw and all over the place.

We like what we like. But as a musician i couldn't be happier that he is pushing the envelope every single day. a true workaholic.

Chinese Democracy!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »

It's all good! Just hope Slash doesn't drops his pick and let's his nails grow and play with them only.  If that happens I'm out! hihi hihi hihi

He doesn't use a pick at all times during the show. Check out the beginning of Patience for example.

Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »

Nice find Jarmo, i didn't notice that was finger picking, but slash is a beast. he can play most styles.

however Richard is a lot more interesting when switching from normal picking to finger picking. his technique is flawless

Chinese Democracy!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »

I'm still waiting for a soundboard recording to proper notice any difference. Being there and listening to the live sound didn't really made any difference to me.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »

Slap dat bass, mon!

peace
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: