Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:07:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Too much Top Hat?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Too much Top Hat?  (Read 3755 times)
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« on: March 14, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »

Anyone else's feel Slash is wearing the Top Hat too much..Never before do I remember him wearing all concert long...His trade mark has become a crutch or gimmick..I think he should only bust it out to open a show or to play some of the classics..
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »

Slash without the top hat would be like Buckethead without the bucket.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »

Anyone else's feel Slash is wearing the Top Hat too much..Never before do I remember him wearing all concert long...His trade mark has become a crutch or gimmick..I think he should only bust it out to open a show or to play some of the classics..

I want to die a bit every time I see one of those shitty "fancy dress costumes" with the wig and the top hat. Some moron with an inflatable guitar dressed up- so fucking unbearable, and GNR are far too good a band to be reduced to stupid parody and frat-boy level cartoon costumes. So yeah, in that sense, the less top-hat the better. It really wasn't that much of a thing in the past, as I recall.

I can't say it keeps me awake at night mind!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »

Meh. It's part of the GNR brand. This tour isn't about breaking new ground.

I've seen enough.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:04:47 PM »

Agreed on both points.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »

I want to die a bit every time I see one of those shitty "fancy dress costumes" with the wig and the top hat. Some moron with an inflatable guitar dressed up- so fucking unbearable, and GNR are far too good a band to be reduced to stupid parody and frat-boy level cartoon costumes. So yeah, in that sense, the less top-hat the better. It really wasn't that much of a thing in the past, as I recall.

Kind of agree. I get that those people are out having fun, and that's good for them. But to me, with a lot of these characters at the shows, it reduces the "legitimacy" of the band once "the most dangerous".

Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive to that sort of stuff, but people playing dress-up at GN'R concerts is helping place the band in the 80s hair-metal category. A category the band doesn't belong in, imo.

That being said, it won't stop me for going to shows or anything, but it's just one of those smaller pet peeves I have.

As for Slash wearing the top hat, doesn't bother me really.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:33:59 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »

Kind of agree. I get that those people are out having fun, and that's good for them. But to me, with a lot of these characters at the shows, it reduces the "legitimacy" of the band once "the most dangerous".

Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive to that sort of stuff, but people playing dress-up at GN'R concerts is helping place the band in the 80s hair-metal category. A category the band doesn't belong in, imo.

That being said, it won't stop me for going to shows or anything, but it's just one of those smaller pet peeves I have.

You are not alone

By doing the same schtick night in and night out the band becomes a parody of what it once was

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »

You are not alone

By doing the same schtick night in and night out the band becomes a parody of what it once was

As for this particular tour, I'm fine with them only rolling out their biggest hits. It's their reunion tour, it was expected. I don't think it makes them a parody or anything, it's not perceived as such in the media either.

Next tour must be different.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 12:15:47 AM »

You are not alone

As for this particular tour, I'm fine with them only rolling out their biggest hits. It's their reunion tour, it was expected. I don't think it makes them a parody or anything, it's not perceived as such in the media either.

Next tour must be different.
I hope that either. It's basicly the same since at least 2011, just with another line-up.
Tracii has talked about that in a recent interview.
He said: ?I wish they would have done it sooner and I would like for them to put out new music because, like Metallica and Deff Leppard and other bands, putting out new music validates Rock N Roll music. To go out and only play live to make a lot of money is great, but also to kind of shake up a very stagnant rock music scene it?s important for Guns N? Roses to put out new music. You have to have new music that people latch on to...?
(http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=68085.msg1448669#new)

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 01:01:48 AM »

It's Slash.  He wears a top hat.  It's part of his persona.  That's more than 'nuff said.

Quite bluntly, I can't believe somebody would even notice or be bothered enough by it to create a thread over something as trivial as this.   Seriously, we finally have  Slash back in GNR and people are bitching over how often he wears his top hat!   Tongue
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:32:44 AM by Bridge » Logged
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 04:43:08 AM »

Exactly. A non-fan mate of mine is going to a gig near him and always refers Slash as 'Top Hat' when we discuss the tour. He would be mortified if he even saw a picture of a guy playing guitar without a hat. Let alone seeing him on stage naked.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »

Yeah that's it really. I'm a big Springsteen fan too, and you often some load of pissed up twats in stars and stripes bandanas and sleeveless denim jackets, inflatable guitars, shouting "Born In The Usa" all the way through him playing a pretty harrowing song like 41 Shots. It's tragic, and places him in a ridiculous 80s Rock niche, but it doesn't stop me going to see him. It just seems especially lame- bit I always console myself with the fact they must be getting very little from the concert if that's their response. Especially when he doesn't play Born In The USA!

It is what it is though- a peril of becoming popular. Anyone with half a brain cell can (hopefully) see GNR are a million miles away from that 80s hair metal bracket, that really, they were a reaction against in many ways. I've also seen them as a punk band to be honest- not in the way punk is bracketed now (where a mohican, long shorts, and playing fast pop music seems to be referred to as 'punk') but in the sense of their attitude and style of doing things. I mean, fuck, NO ONE wants them to be Bon Jovi, no matter how slick the shows have become!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »

You are not alone

Why must you find another reason to cry?  crying

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

What 'schtick' are you talking about? Are you confusing schtick with playlist?

It's not like they are KISS with all the theatrics, Brian Johnson Era AC/DC with him swing off the bell, or Poison where Brett Michaels gets handed an out of tune acoustic guitar every night only to yell at his guitar tech that the audience paid good money to see a Poison show. Guns plays a set that appeals to a majority of fans in the audience and 'scripts' the order a bit for the sake of the pyro and HiRes screens, but it's pretty much a straight forward rock show. Where is the parody?? To me the group that is a parody of itself are the people expecting 50+ year old millionaires to act like 'The Most Dangerous Band In The World'... They aren't drug addled 20 somethings sleeping in storage units or on peoples floors hoping to score a record deal (or there next high).
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »

I don't really care that he uses it all the way through i just find it weird that even when he is doing the handstand at the very end and the hat doesnt fall off!! thats fishy...

Chinese Democracy!
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »

I don't really care that he uses it all the way through i just find it weird that even when he is doing the handstand at the very end and the hat doesnt fall off!! thats fishy...

The notion of Slash actually doing a handstand is way more fishy than the top hat staying on!   Shocked
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »

What 'schtick' are you talking about? Are you confusing schtick with playlist?

It's not like they are KISS with all the theatrics, Brian Johnson Era AC/DC with him swing off the bell, or Poison where Brett Michaels gets handed an out of tune acoustic guitar every night only to yell at his guitar tech that the audience paid good money to see a Poison show. Guns plays a set that appeals to a majority of fans in the audience and 'scripts' the order a bit for the sake of the pyro and HiRes screens, but it's pretty much a straight forward rock show. Where is the parody?? To me the group that is a parody of itself are the people expecting 50+ year old millionaires to act like 'The Most Dangerous Band In The World'... They aren't drug addled 20 somethings sleeping in storage units or on peoples floors hoping to score a record deal (or there next high).

This, pretty much. 

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: