Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How well will this tour fare in the All-time highest grossing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How well will this tour fare in the All-time highest grossing?  (Read 13195 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »

Like Natalie pointed out, it's not always about a lack of a venue.

I wonder if corruption plays any part. It could be that some places are just easier to skip than deal with bullshit.

If that was an issue, the touring itineraries would look totally different. So I think it's safe to say the answer is no.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 05:04:22 PM »

Like Natalie pointed out, it's not always about a lack of a venue.

I wonder if corruption plays any part. It could be that some places are just easier to skip than deal with bullshit.

If that was an issue, the touring itineraries would look totally different. So I think it's safe to say the answer is no.

/jarmo

After doing gigs in places like South America, Thailand, Mexico, Russia ect. I dont think doing shows in eastern Europe should be a big issue. (im not implying that there has been bs going on around those gigs, i have absolutely no idea what goes on, for organizing huge events in those places)

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

English isn't my first ,sa I'll try to explain my opion...

It's very hard for a band to do what Guns did with NITL tour...U2 worked 30 years for the biggest tour ever...Acdc too...
Bit with Guns n Rosea we have something phenomenal...These guys were separated more than 20 years and then they made one of the biggest tour ever...
Metallica workde 35 years for Death Magnetic tour...Guns are over this tour with Australia dates...
Guns n Roses  can make the biggest tour ever in the future...Maybe with new album and tour...
Natalie
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »

English isn't my first ,sa I'll try to explain my opion...

It's very hard for a band to do what Guns did with NITL tour...U2 worked 30 years for the biggest tour ever...Acdc too...
Bit with Guns n Rosea we have something phenomenal...These guys were separated more than 20 years and then they made one of the biggest tour ever...
Metallica workde 35 years for Death Magnetic tour...Guns are over this tour with Australia dates...
Guns n Roses  can make the biggest tour ever in the future...Maybe with new album and tour...

imo the fact that they hadn't played together for over 20 years is actually one of the reasons that this tour is so successful. Many fans that grew up with their music back in 80s-early 90s would do anything for a chance to see the original line up again after all these years. And younger fans as well , who were kids back then, and   didn't get  to see the old band performing at their heyday, have their chance to see Axl, Duff, Slash sharing the stage now, and don't wanna miss out.

Athens 10/7/06 
Prague 4/7/17
Madrid 29/6/18 
Barcelona 1/7/18
Lincoln 15/10/19
Dallas 1/9/2021
Atlantic city  11&12/9/21
Madrid 9/6/23
Boston 21/8/23
Chicago 24/8/23
Seattle 14/10/23
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »

I don't know I believe they are stadiums going foward, at least here in the U.S.

As much as they were able to captialize on people never getting the chance to see them live...well, now they have.  I don't know how many people simply cross this off their bucket list and move on.

But I think they are a solid arena act for the next tour, even if its just the same basic show with nothing new.  And still 2 nights in some places.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:50 AM »

As much as they were able to captialize on people never getting the chance to see them live...well, now they have.  I don't know how many people simply cross this off their bucket list and move on.

Well, now they have. Don't we all know people who simply go to their closest gig and that's done and dusted? Yes, we do.

It was mentioned here that 1% of the population are going to the gig in Finland. That's like a fuckin' mad figure really. How would it be possible to achieve anything similar if you try to go back in a year and everyone knows it's the same show?

Yeah, sure skip it next year but still. It could end up in tears anyway as in many places in Europe it doesn't matter if it's the next city having the gig as the customer base will be the same.

Many Europeans commute daily to work abroad and that's why they go abroad for gigs as well. They go grocery shopping abroad. Therefore, having seemingly 20 new European venues could well be they're not that new really.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »

Many Europeans commute daily to work abroad and that's why they go abroad for gigs as well. They go grocery shopping abroad. Therefore, having seemingly 20 new European venues could well be they're not that new really.

I think you may be making a sweeping generalisation there...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »

Well, now they have. Don't we all know people who simply go to their closest gig and that's done and dusted? Yes, we do.

It was mentioned here that 1% of the population are going to the gig in Finland. That's like a fuckin' mad figure really. How would it be possible to achieve anything similar if you try to go back in a year and everyone knows it's the same show?

Yeah, sure skip it next year but still. It could end up in tears anyway as in many places in Europe it doesn't matter if it's the next city having the gig as the customer base will be the same.

You cut out his qualifying statement:

"I don't know I believe they are stadiums going foward, at least here in the U.S."

I feel that's probably pretty accurate here in the US. They could probably hit larger venues in a few key areas like LA, New York, Chicago, Boston etc... but the vast majority of other cities if this spins into a 3rd American leg in 2018 will probably have to drop down to Arena's or maybe smaller baseball venues.

The only acts that regularly sell out stadiums year after year in the US tend to be the pop based country shows and 'bro country' acts. The reason is they are usually like a mini festivals with 4 or 5 acts on the bill, and even then they tend to also rotate into smaller single act amphitheater shows.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »

I think you may be making a sweeping generalisation there...
Well its quite true for people who live fairly close to a border. At least in my experience. Doing a weekend trip to your neighbour country is quite fun even for the smallest reason. And something is always cheaper elsewhere

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »

And something is always cheaper elsewhere

Yeah, also some little things like rent and taxes. For those who don't know it's sometimes really hard to see when you actually cross a border in the EU. Some crossings are marked better than others.

There are plenty of opportunities to work in a major city but still live just across a border elsewhere with huge savings. And as for groceries, many shops accept multiple currencies because there are so many regular customers crossing borders all the time.

Many people just don't live very far from an international border anyway.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »

And many people do.

It's the beauty of continents Smiley
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »

Another important factor is the ticket price.

Taking London as an example - those tickets are EXPENSIVE. Like, crazily so. And they seem to have sold ok (I actually saw a TV ad for the first time the other day, advertising tickets for both nights which seems to suggest there are significant tickets left to flog to justify buying a TV ad, but that's another debate). But this a one off. And for that people may pay a premium. This tour rolls around stadiums in the UK a year later, I'd say a MAJOR percentage of those people won't pay that price that again, if they don't view the concert as a 'ticking the box' exercise (which I honestly think a lot of people attending will, sadly.)

If the tour is to continue, and hit the same markets again, I'd say something has to give- size of venue, or ticket price. Or both. We're talking supply and demand- they've built up the demand for this tour and are currently reaping the financial rewards. That won't and can't last in any business model. They'll know that as well as we do.

I'd say what COULD be likely is a lucrative trawl around the massive array of soulless 'festivals' that seem to more prevalent than ever. That's a market they've not tapped yet. Personally, I can't stand music festivals, so I'd be happy for them to avoid that circuit, but I think a lot of the sort of very-casual music fan that attends these events would probably enjoy the opportunity to take a selfie while SCOM played!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »

Taking London as an example - those tickets are EXPENSIVE. Like, crazily so. And they seem to have sold ok (I actually saw a TV ad for the first time the other day, advertising tickets for both nights which seems to suggest there are significant tickets left to flog to justify buying a TV ad, but that's another debate). But this a one off. And for that people may pay a premium. This tour rolls around stadiums in the UK a year later, I'd say a MAJOR percentage of those people won't pay that price that again, if they don't view the concert as a 'ticking the box' exercise (which I honestly think a lot of people attending will, sadly.)

If the tour is to continue, and hit the same markets again, I'd say something has to give- size of venue, or ticket price. Or both. We're talking supply and demand- they've built up the demand for this tour and are currently reaping the financial rewards. That won't and can't last in any business model. They'll know that as well as we do.

I'd say what COULD be likely is a lucrative trawl around the massive array of soulless 'festivals' that seem to more prevalent than ever. That's a market they've not tapped yet. Personally, I can't stand music festivals, so I'd be happy for them to avoid that circuit, but I think a lot of the sort of very-casual music fan that attends these events would probably enjoy the opportunity to take a selfie while SCOM played!
The British economy is doing a whole lot better than most other countries and to be honest, those prices aren't nothing compared to the likes of Adele, Ed Sheerin, U2 and even your Lady Gaga all sold out super quick. The sad thing for the UK is just 2 shows, they could easily have added 2nights in Manchester or Leeds 'Football stadiums and Glasgow and sold them out too IMHO
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »

1991: Wembley Stadium
1992: Wembley Stadium, Manchester, Newcastle (Gateshead)
1993: Milton Keynes x 2

2017: London Stadium x 2

I can see more UK dates on another leg if they decide to tour more in Europe (yes, I include the UK in Europe Cheesy ).

By the way, London was the only city that AC/DC came back to on their latest tour.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »

The British economy is doing a whole lot better than most other countries and to be honest, those prices aren't nothing compared to the likes of Adele, Ed Sheerin, U2 and even your Lady Gaga all sold out super quick. The sad thing for the UK is just 2 shows, they could easily have added 2nights in Manchester or Leeds 'Football stadiums and Glasgow and sold them out too IMHO

I think the prices of the Guns tickets eclipsed all of those didn't it? Certainly more expensive than Adele and Ed Sheerin- by quite a long way. The Lady Gaga tour has sold poorly in the UK- and she's at indoor Arenas. I'm not sure about U2s standing tickets but some seats were ?40. You can't even get the worst seats to see Guns for twice that, sadly. Gigs really are becoming obscenely expensive, and I can't be alone in being totally priced out of them now. That's what I find sad.

I'm not sure at those prices the UK could sustain much more than two shows in London. I'm actually not sure how well they've sold. As I mentioned above, a TV advert now would suggest there are still plenty of tickets left but it's very hard to tell. The practices of the Ticket Agencies are so shady now (selling their allocations through their own touting sites etc) that it's hard to know actually how well a gig has sold really. Allegedly 'sold out' gigs are often very far from it (google 'Rhianna Wembley Stadium' and prepare to be absolutely amazed!).

So....I'm not sure really that the UK could hold more gigs of that size and price level. I'm not 'inside' enough to know how many tickets are not sold yet. I'm of the thinking though that a gig in Scotland might have been ok, but anything further south than that would have struggled. But I don't know at all obviously. It's all conjecture.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »

1991: Wembley Stadium
1992: Wembley Stadium, Manchester, Newcastle (Gateshead)
1993: Milton Keynes x 2

2017: London Stadium x 2

I can see more UK dates on another leg if they decide to tour more in Europe (yes, I include the UK in Europe Cheesy ).

By the way, London was the only city that AC/DC came back to on their latest tour.

/jarmo

Do you mean London was the only city they came back to on the same tour, or on different tours?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »

Do you mean London was the only city they came back to on the same tour, or on different tours?

Same tour, different singers. Rock Or Bust, Wembley in 2015 and London Stadium with Axl in 2016.

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »

Same tour, different singers. Rock Or Bust, Wembley in 2015 and London Stadium with Axl in 2016.

/jarmo

That's interesting- I really didn't know that. AC/DC are one of those bands I totally forget are quite as popular as they are, and have been for years. They just routinely fill stadiums in any corner of the world, and have done for literally decades, with very little hype or press.

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 02:25:30 AM »

I think the prices of the Guns tickets eclipsed all of those didn't it? Certainly more expensive than Adele and Ed Sheerin- by quite a long way. The Lady Gaga tour has sold poorly in the UK- and she's at indoor Arenas. I'm not sure about U2s standing tickets but some seats were ?40. You can't even get the worst seats to see Guns for twice that, sadly. Gigs really are becoming obscenely expensive, and I can't be alone in being totally priced out of them now. That's what I find sad.

I'm not sure at those prices the UK could sustain much more than two shows in London. I'm actually not sure how well they've sold. As I mentioned above, a TV advert now would suggest there are still plenty of tickets left but it's very hard to tell. The practices of the Ticket Agencies are so shady now (selling their allocations through their own touting sites etc) that it's hard to know actually how well a gig has sold really. Allegedly 'sold out' gigs are often very far from it (google 'Rhianna Wembley Stadium' and prepare to be absolutely amazed!).

So....I'm not sure really that the UK could hold more gigs of that size and price level. I'm not 'inside' enough to know how many tickets are not sold yet. I'm of the thinking though that a gig in Scotland might have been ok, but anything further south than that would have struggled. But I don't know at all obviously. It's all conjecture.

I can only go on the experiences of friends and work colleagues who have all said that they've either not paid the prices to get tickets to those acts I've mentioned, or if if they did them how much more than I've paid to see Guns (?192 for 2 standing in London) The U2 tickets were ?140 each sitting in the gods, Gaga was just over ?100 each and the best my mate could do for Ed Sheerin and Adele was ?200+, a pop.

The prices maybe not what the face value of these were originally advertised at but, its the only ones available after going on sale. Yes you are spot on about Ticket agencies and their shady practises, which do drive up prices. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rihanna-sold-out-wembley-stadium-concert-was-half-empty-touts-a7116896.html  I've looked at that Rhianna at Wembley article and TBH I hope a few more fans give the same fuck you to those touts and they go out of business, sadly its always the fans though that lose in this. Cry
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »

That's interesting- I really didn't know that. AC/DC are one of those bands I totally forget are quite as popular as they are, and have been for years. They just routinely fill stadiums in any corner of the world, and have done for literally decades, with very little hype or press.

They did two stadium legs in Europe on that tour. In North America, they did one stadium plus one arena leg.

So in comparison, GN'R is one stadium leg short in Europe, but they're doing a bigger second North American leg.  hihi

Plus the fact that GN'R toured Europe more than once on the UYI tour...

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: