Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:42:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How well will this tour fare in the All-time highest grossing?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How well will this tour fare in the All-time highest grossing?  (Read 13194 times)
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »

On a sidenote I just learned that Metallica tour Europe next year and have already started ticket sales Huh

Aren't they supposed to do quite well as well? I could go, let's see where and obviously the when doesn't matter for the time being.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »

On a sidenote I just learned that Metallica tour Europe next year and have already started ticket sales Huh

Aren't they supposed to do quite well as well? I could go, let's see where and obviously the when doesn't matter for the time being.

They're playing arenas in Europe. Two nights in many cities.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »

Another important factor is the ticket price.

Taking London as an example - those tickets are EXPENSIVE. Like, crazily so. And they seem to have sold ok (I actually saw a TV ad for the first time the other day, advertising tickets for both nights which seems to suggest there are significant tickets left to flog to justify buying a TV ad, but that's another debate). But this a one off. And for that people may pay a premium. This tour rolls around stadiums in the UK a year later, I'd say a MAJOR percentage of those people won't pay that price that again, if they don't view the concert as a 'ticking the box' exercise (which I honestly think a lot of people attending will, sadly.)

If the tour is to continue, and hit the same markets again, I'd say something has to give- size of venue, or ticket price. Or both. We're talking supply and demand- they've built up the demand for this tour and are currently reaping the financial rewards. That won't and can't last in any business model. They'll know that as well as we do.

I'd say what COULD be likely is a lucrative trawl around the massive array of soulless 'festivals' that seem to more prevalent than ever. That's a market they've not tapped yet. Personally, I can't stand music festivals, so I'd be happy for them to avoid that circuit, but I think a lot of the sort of very-casual music fan that attends these events would probably enjoy the opportunity to take a selfie while SCOM played!
The British economy is doing a whole lot better than most other countries and to be honest, those prices aren't nothing compared to the likes of Adele, Ed Sheerin, U2 and even your Lady Gaga all sold out super quick. The sad thing for the UK is just 2 shows, they could easily have added 2nights in Manchester or Leeds 'Football stadiums and Glasgow and sold them out too IMHO

I think the prices of the Guns tickets eclipsed all of those didn't it? Certainly more expensive than Adele and Ed Sheerin- by quite a long way. The Lady Gaga tour has sold poorly in the UK- and she's at indoor Arenas. I'm not sure about U2s standing tickets but some seats were ?40. You can't even get the worst seats to see Guns for twice that, sadly. Gigs really are becoming obscenely expensive, and I can't be alone in being totally priced out of them now. That's what I find sad.

I'm not sure at those prices the UK could sustain much more than two shows in London. I'm actually not sure how well they've sold. As I mentioned above, a TV advert now would suggest there are still plenty of tickets left but it's very hard to tell. The practices of the Ticket Agencies are so shady now (selling their allocations through their own touting sites etc) that it's hard to know actually how well a gig has sold really. Allegedly 'sold out' gigs are often very far from it (google 'Rhianna Wembley Stadium' and prepare to be absolutely amazed!).

So....I'm not sure really that the UK could hold more gigs of that size and price level. I'm not 'inside' enough to know how many tickets are not sold yet. I'm of the thinking though that a gig in Scotland might have been ok, but anything further south than that would have struggled. But I don't know at all obviously. It's all conjecture.

I can only go on the experiences of friends and work colleagues who have all said that they've either not paid the prices to get tickets to those acts I've mentioned, or if if they did them how much more than I've paid to see Guns (?192 for 2 standing in London) The U2 tickets were ?140 each sitting in the gods, Gaga was just over ?100 each and the best my mate could do for Ed Sheerin and Adele was ?200+, a pop.

The prices maybe not what the face value of these were originally advertised at but, its the only ones available after going on sale. Yes you are spot on about Ticket agencies and their shady practises, which do drive up prices. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rihanna-sold-out-wembley-stadium-concert-was-half-empty-touts-a7116896.html  I've looked at that Rhianna at Wembley article and TBH I hope a few more fans give the same fuck you to those touts and they go out of business, sadly its always the fans though that lose in this. Cry

I think those prices your friends paid are touts prices sadly. I was (almost!) considering U2 tickets as they were ?40, but decided against it at the last moment as they were in the gods, and I'm not really that much of a u2 fan at all! Ed Sheeran tickets were ?70 standing without fees, Adele ?75. I've just had a look.

Totally agree with you about touts- I hope more circumstances like that Rhianna show occur to further highlight the problem.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »

/jarmo

Matallica will play smaller ace in Europe than Guns n Roses...One Gnr gig is like 4 Metalluca gigs
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »

/jarmo

Matallica will play smaller ace in Europe than Guns n Roses...One Gnr gig is like 4 Metalluca gigs

...but Metallica play in Europe pretty much every year, either a festival or their own tour. It's nothing special or out of the ordinary when they do a show.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »

They just sold-out about 20 000 tickets in minutes for May... 2018.

Its Quite ridiculous, how im supposed to know what im doing and where in 14 months. Anyway it dosent matter cause i didnt score a ticket.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »

Its Quite ridiculous, how im supposed to know what im doing and where in 14 months. Anyway it dosent matter cause i didnt score a ticket.

So Guns n roses.   Did this exact same thing on this scone leg of this North American leg.   You are right it is stupid to think you actually know what's good by on a year in the future.   It's great for the band.  Just like everything else on. This tour.  But what the benefit to the fans
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »

So Guns n roses.   Did this exact same thing on this scone leg of this North American leg.   You are right it is stupid to think you actually know what's good by on a year in the future.   It's great for the band.  Just like everything else on. This tour.  But what the benefit to the fans
Didnt the tickets for the north american tour 2017 came on sale couple months ago.
14 months would mean that they went on sale on May 2016.

Putting tickets on sale 6-8 months in advance in my book is ok. 9-14 months is overkill.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »

Didnt the tickets for the north american tour 2017 came on sale couple months ago.
14 months would mean that they went on sale on May 2016.

Putting tickets on sale 6-8 months in advance in my book is ok. 9-14 months is overkill.

Tickets for the late aug Edmonton show went on sale in early dec

That's a long long time to pre book ones life

It's not just guns though.  It seems every major act is doing this these days
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »

Yes, they put all the summer dates on sale at the same time in early December.

At least we don't hear the "will they tour in the summer? I can't make plans until I know" comments from people like the above poster. Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »

Yes, they put all the summer dates on sale at the same time in early December.

At least we don't hear the "will they tour in the summer? I can't make plans until I know" comments from people like the above poster. Cheesy

/jarmo

Haha.  Good point

And it has given me a chance to try and make life work so I can travel down to the Denver show.   
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »

Like Natalie pointed out, it's not always about a lack of a venue.

In some places, they could put the show in a park, or parking lot if there's no suitable stadium around.
On the upcoming European leg, some shows are in places like that (Lisbon, Hannover, H?meenlinna, Nijmegen etc).

The promoters are in the business of making money. If they don't think they can make any on a GN'R show, they won't make the show happen...

But there does seem to be a bunch of possible places for another European tour to visit.

Of the ones Spirit listed, I suspect some would be more likely than others. And this is just me as a fan speculating, knowing where GN'R has played in the past.

Athens (Terra Vibe Park seems like a popular venue there)
Budapest
Sofia?
Kiev?
Russia?
Bucharest?
Maybe even Estonia?
Warsaw?

/jarmo

+Derby  hihi

GREG

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »

Guns N' Roses were 2016's highest-earning world tour per city

Iconic rockstars were some of the most profitable performers per city on average last year for world tours
Guns N' Roses topped the list, with the legendary group earning an average per city gross of $5,004,737
Justin Bieber was second on the list with $1,676,016, before two more rockers - the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Stevie Nicks - took out the next two places with averages per city of $1,487,928 and $898,269 respectively

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4351290/Most-lucrative-global-tours-city-2016-revealed.html

beer

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 02:53:18 PM »

Guns N' Roses were 2016's highest-earning world tour per city

Iconic rockstars were some of the most profitable performers per city on average last year for world tours
Guns N' Roses topped the list, with the legendary group earning an average per city gross of $5,004,737
Justin Bieber was second on the list with $1,676,016, before two more rockers - the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Stevie Nicks - took out the next two places with averages per city of $1,487,928 and $898,269 respectively

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4351290/Most-lucrative-global-tours-city-2016-revealed.html

beer

I saw the above article, but I'm curious to where they got their info from. Looking at Pollstar's reports, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce and Coldplay should be in there. Also, I think The Rolling Stones actually had the highest average per city gross of over $9,000,000. They didn't play that many shows though, so their total wasn't among the tours at the very top.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: