Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blackhole Sun
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blackhole Sun  (Read 9922 times)
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« on: May 30, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »

Curious if Blackhole Sun stays in the set...
alcapone_dudu
Rocker

Black Frog

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »

Hope not. It was a beautiful gesture by the band for honoring Chris' legacy but it didn't sound good.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »

When I saw the headline that they had covered the song I imagined Axl singing it and it was damn cool in my head. I didnt imagine it with young Axl singing it but rather with the highlights of what I know his voice can do nowadays. I think They should've rehearsed that song more until he nailed it, I thought Axl had learned from his AC/DC rehearsals that practice actually helps.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »

It sounded great live, the whole concert does. The next nice gesture they can do is for me, I'm still alive and I'd love to hear them play Don't Damn Me and Breakdown. But seriously it's sounds class through their soundsystem

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »

Another cover added.  Lazy
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »

Really?

The guy died. It's a band GNR has covered (TSI?) and toured with. Explain how that's "lazy" exactly. Your friend dies, you do something in his memory, are you being lazy too?

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »

I think it was an amazing gesture but it should have been a one time thing. I don't care if Axl didn't sound good: the gesture it's what does matter.

And no: if they're going to add something ''new'' to the setlist, it should be Riad or any unreleased song from the 1996-2008 era. It's risky, i know... 99% of the fans want to feel cozy and warm in the AFD/UYI safe zone...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »

TBH I wish they had said " this ones for Chris Cornell, its called The Garden"
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:58:29 AM »

I think it was an amazing gesture but it should have been a one time thing. I don't care if Axl didn't sound good: the gesture it's what does matter.

And no: if they're going to add something ''new'' to the setlist, it should be Riad or any unreleased song from the 1996-2008 era. It's risky, i know... 99% of the fans want to feel cozy and warm in the AFD/UYI safe zone...

Axl hasnt sanged Rhiad since 2002, I think there was a lawsuit with that song and he hasnt played it ever again. I think IRS would be better  Kiss
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 01:40:46 AM »

Axl hasnt sanged Rhiad since 2002, I think there was a lawsuit with that song and he hasnt played it ever again. I think IRS would be better  Kiss
IRS was last played live in 2010, so it's still been many years anyway... and I don't think he would sing about lawsuits onstage, while between two guys who spent much of their lives suing him (and vice versa) Smiley

(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »

I think Riad just fell out of the setlist as newer songs from the CD sessions came along. Riad is fine, but I'd also prefer to hear IRS again. And If the World.
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »

Oh, bore off.  We get it.  Not every thread needs to about your aversion to covers.  You know, there's an expression in Gaelic -  p?obaire an aon phuirt .  It means someone who just says the same things over and over again like a broken record, but you might appreciate that literally it means "a piper with only tune".

As it happens, I could do without all the covers myself,  but egad, dude - we get it.  Give it a rest.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »

IRS was last played live in 2010, so it's still been many years anyway... and I don't think he would sing about lawsuits onstage, while between two guys who spent much of their lives suing him (and vice versa) Smiley

I agree.  Love that song.

But yeah, it would be awkward singing it now, given the lyrics subject matter.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »

The addition of any new song, even a cover, is a step forward indicating atleast some form of communication among the members of the traveling group of entertainers working as "Guns N' Roses".  Who knows? Jamming on any song, could maybe inspire a future recorded group effort of new original songs?
And it's a good cover too. they do it well! peace

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
John
Rocker

...Gone To Hell

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »

Works for me. A nice tribute.

Expect it to stay for the rest of the European Tour at the very least.

Leeds Festival - 29/08/10, Birmingham - 17/10/10, Manchester - 18/10/10, Liverpool - 20/05/12, Manchester 29/05/12
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 04:02:57 AM »

The addition of any new song, even a cover, is a step forward indicating atleast some form of communication among the members of the traveling group of entertainers working as "Guns N' Roses".  Who knows? Jamming on any song, could maybe inspire a future recorded group effort of new original songs?
And it's a good cover too. they do it well! peace

Agreed, Axl should consider doing an experimental song with lower pitched grungy vocals. It's where he sounds the most like he used to, these days, and it doesn't strain his voice as much either. I'd love to hear some heavy GNR grunge. It's also an experiment in a direction Slash would appreciate, unlike ballads or industrial stuff.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »

I remember when this song won best hard rock song at the grannies and Chris was embarrassed to recieve the award.  He thought it should go to Henry Rollins

I hate this song also
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »

It was by far their biggest hit though.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »

If they are going to cover Soundgarden, this would be a song I'd like to see them do-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOOgQtLI4M

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »

I remember when this song won best hard rock song at the grannies and Chris was embarrassed to recieve the award.  He thought it should go to Henry Rollins

I hate this song also

For what?  'Liar'?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »

Hey i love it when Axl covers different songs and shows his range i mean it was always KOHD and Live and let die that were synonomous with GNR. I guarantee if gnr released a single of The Seeker people would buy it up. I mean how many people when they here LALD and KOHD they think of GNR before they think of the Originators.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »

GnR doing a good cover doesn't bother me.  A change to the set list , cover or original song is all good.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »

I always loved Chris Cornell career..but I never quite understood all the hype for Black Hole Sun. IMO is a flat song and there`s nothing special about, Soundgarden has much better songs and even some Audioslave songs are much more rich and beautiful.

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 11:05:33 PM »

Howard Stern praised their performance of BHS on his show this week. Played a bit on the air but it didn't translate well due to the less than stellar YouTube quality. Said Axl could definitely still sing though. Positive comments all around.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »

I always loved Chris Cornell career..but I never quite understood all the hype for Black Hole Sun. IMO is a flat song and there`s nothing special about, Soundgarden has much better songs and even some Audioslave songs are much more rich and beautiful.

x2 - agree
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »

It was a huge song when it came out, MTV played it constantly. I was about 15 at the time and it was the song that got me into Soundgarden. But now after hearing it a million times, I agree that there are other songs from Chris's catalog that I'd listen to instead.  I think it's cool that GNR is covering it though.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »

It was a huge song when it came out, MTV played it constantly. I was about 15 at the time and it was the song that got me into Soundgarden. But now after hearing it a million times, I agree that there are other songs from Chris's catalog that I'd listen to instead.  I think it's cool that GNR is covering it though.

It was a cool video

Boring song live
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 11:40:15 AM »

I think it?s pretty fucking great that they are covering SG. If anyone deserved the tribute, it?s Cornell. Losing him is a gigantic blow for music. For lack of a better term, pretty much the nail in the coffin of rock as far as I?m concerned. During a time when his contemporaries were either dead and buried, or had become fat and lazy, he was as active as ever, and producing music that holds up to his back catalogue.
Black Hole Sun is far from my favorite SG songs, but I think it?s been popular to cover of late, because obviously it?s easily recognizable, but also because I?m guessing it?s one of the easier Cornell songs to sing. I can?t see Axl or anyone else doing Beyond the Wheel, or Slaves and Bulldozers justice, but thought they pulled off BHS just fine. A welcome addition to an already pretty killer setlist.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »

Howard Stern praised their performance of BHS on his show this week. Played a bit on the air but it didn't translate well due to the less than stellar YouTube quality. Said Axl could definitely still sing though. Positive comments all around.

Was pleased hearing that as well.  Howard would be a great venue for Axl if he ever wanted to do a an in-depth interview.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
bjd2944
Headliner

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »

Probably something more for the fans, a celebration of the life of a great musician.

I think they do it justice. I think there are other Soundgarden, Audioslave and Cornell solo songs I'd much rather hear, but it's still pretty cool to hear your favorite band cover another one of your favorite bands' music. I wish it was on better terms.

Enjoy it for what it is. It's not taking away from the setlist.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »

Enjoy it for what it is. It's not taking away from the setlist.

Or is it when played in the encore.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: