Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses' current record company
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses' current record company  (Read 32120 times)
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

Seems like this has been answered but I actually asked the man himself:

"Universal has Guns under contract but I own the name"

This was from a Dexter chat from December 2008 (so after the CD release) on another fan site.  I'm not going to post a link but am sure the full Q&A can be found without too much digging if anyone is interested in the source.  I was totally shocked that he answered me, and I believe it was one of the last questions he took that night.  Anyway, hope that helps! 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »

Obviously they have a record and distribution deal

This band. With there 4 albums of original material would have no problem ever picking up a deal

I think there is still some unsaid issues with who owns the rest of the CD era recordings

Label or Axl
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »

Definitely would have no problem getting another deal if they're out of contract. They'd probably go for a one album deal though I think- would make sense for them. Even though record sales aren't what they would be, it would still be a large seller, surely.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »

Axl himself said at the China Exchange that if there was one thing he regretted from back in the day, it was the band not forming their own label.

It seems to me he'd rather not be under contract with a record label if he could choose.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »

Axl himself said at the China Exchange that if there was one thing he regretted from back in the day, it was the band not forming their own label.

It seems to me he'd rather not be under contract with a record label if he could choose.

I question that.  It gives him a convenient boogeyman.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:32 AM »

Maybe. But if the things said by both Stinson and Axl about the process leading up to Chinese Democracy are true, it's more of a frustrating situation for them rather than a convenient part to blame.

It's true, if the public knows that you are the 100% sole responsible for what happens, there are few excuses to use, but we can only speculate to what would've happened. If they had their own label, maybe the record would've come out in 2002?

As for today, I can't recall Axl directly laying any blame on the label for the lack of output since Chinese.

Sweetness is a virtue
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »

Maybe. But if the things said by both Stinson and Axl about the process leading up to Chinese Democracy are true, it's more of a frustrating situation for them rather than a convenient part to blame.

It's true, if the public knows that you are the 100% sole responsible for what happens, there are few excuses to use, but we can only speculate to what would've happened. If they had their own label, maybe the record would've come out in 2002?

As for today, I can't recall Axl directly laying any blame on the label for the lack of output since Chinese.

I just can't envisage a scenario where a label would possibly HINDER any music coming out from GNR at all. Even studio offcuts, poorly recorded would surely be welcomed at this point. They'd sell to a certain element of the fanbase. Anything Axl wanted to release, he could release.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

I just can't envisage a scenario where a label would possibly HINDER any music coming out from GNR at all. Even studio offcuts, poorly recorded would surely be welcomed at this point. They'd sell to a certain element of the fanbase. Anything Axl wanted to release, he could release.

Not hinder directly, but it's plausible there were measures to slow down the process leading up to Chinese. The label might not have been that enthusiastic about Axl continuing the brand on his own.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »

Not hinder directly, but it's plausible there were measures to slow down the process leading up to Chinese. The label might not have been that enthusiastic about Axl continuing the brand on his own.

If the material is already recorded, there is really no cost to the label.  Get the music out.

I think the problem is, who owns the recordings.  After the label sunk 10 million into the first CD album, do they own all the other associated recordings as well?  I think Axl dump some money into the recordings as well, does he own a percentage?
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »

Surely though it's more likely the label wanted to speed up the process? Doesn't everything point towards the label becoming increasingly impatient about getting CD out, and recouping some of their investment?

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »

Surely though it's more likely the label wanted to speed up the process? Doesn't everything point towards the label becoming increasingly impatient about getting CD out, and recouping some of their investment?

The final 2-3 years yes. The beginning of the 2000s was different I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »

what's the point of having a record company, if you're not going to actually release anything at all?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »

what's the point of having a record company, if you're not going to actually release anything at all?

True. 

And it's why I think they are a convenient boogeyman.  Look how many people around here swallow that wholesale. 

Why is nothing happening?   Well, it must be those bastard covered bastards with bastard filling at that evil record company.  Thwarting that hardest working man in show business, Axl Rose, at every opportunity.  If only those pricks would get out of the way, we'd be swimming in albums!

That's easier for some to say without giving it too much of a critical thought, then having to concede Axl just doesn't really care about that end of the operation anymore.  And hasn't for years.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »

True. 

And it's why I think they are a convenient boogeyman.  Look how many people around here swallow that wholesale. 

Why is nothing happening?   Well, it must be those bastard covered bastards with bastard filling at that evil record company.  Thwarting that hardest working man in show business, Axl Rose, at every opportunity.  If only those pricks would get out of the way, we'd be swimming in albums!

That's easier for some to say without giving it too much of a critical thought, then having to concede Axl just doesn't really care about that end of the operation anymore.  And hasn't for years.

Both sides to the coin take it to the extreme in my opinion. Saying Axl doesn't care is probably foolish.

IMO the label was only willing to go far with Axl and eventually got fed up with him... and in return... his take is that they were not supportive.

..and then there's just probably some part of him that doesn't feel the need to release what he has. Especially at this point...

Frustrating for us...but understandable.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »

True. 

Perhaps he cares too much though. He got a bit of a mualing for CD, and maybe that's thrown him totally, confidence wise. He knows he can't be criticised for something people haven't heard. It could easily be fear.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »

Both sides to the coin take it to the extreme in my opinion. Saying Axl doesn't care is probably foolish.

IMO the label was only willing to go far with Axl and eventually got fed up with him... and in return... his take is that they were not supportive.

I think this is the right read.  I'm sure the label was none too pleased at the whole CD release debacle.  And then Axl, in turn, wasn't happy with them.

Both sides basiclaly retreated to mutual state of "fuck me?  no...fuck you" and nothing else got done.

The reason I say Axl doesn't care is that Universal is hardly sitting on pins and needles waiting on what Axl Rose may or may not ever do for them.  And he certainly has a phone that dials out.  If he were to make that move, I can't imagine it makes much sense for Universal to stay mad at him from what happened in 2008.

But I see no evidence that call has been made.  And just thinking about it logicallly, I can't see what Universal would have to gain telling him to go fuck himself, if and when he ever does.  All the more so since he has a band now that most people would be willing to accept as Guns N' Roses, thus making it a more attractive product in the marketplace.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »

Perhaps he cares too much though. He got a bit of a mualing for CD, and maybe that's thrown him totally, confidence wise. He knows he can't be criticised for something people haven't heard. It could easily be fear.

Oh, I totally agree.

That whole Magical Mystery Vault has enough baggage to fill a 747.  Which is why I think he should just set it all on fucking fire and start over with his current line-up.

If there is one killer riff or two worth saving, fine.  Bring it to the new guys and let them put a spin on it.  But otherwise, free yourself of all that stuff and start fresh.

He looks so happy now.  Build on that.  Don't start looking backwards to bad memories and drama.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »

Oh, I totally agree.

That whole Magical Mystery Vault has enough baggage to fill a 747.  Which is why I think he should just set it all on fucking fire and start over with his current line-up.

If there is one killer riff or two worth saving, fine.  Bring it to the new guys and let them put a spin on it.  But otherwise, free yourself of all that stuff and start fresh.

He looks so happy now.  Build on that.  Don't start looking backwards to bad memories and drama.

I agree. I's speculate that his confidence is building on a live basis again, but I think we've got a while to go yet before he feels like letting anyone into anything new music wise. Wild speculation of course.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »

True. 

I havnt seen one of these pro Axl anti label doom and gloom posts in a very long time

What I do see all the time is

"They are on a world tour.  Wait till everyone in the world has had the chance to see them, in there individual city many times, in multiple venues.  Or if 2021 comes sooner then we can ask for new music"

I honestly think the general public couldn care less about a new gnr record   If it comes out.  Cool.  If it never comes out. Oh well.

I honestly think the hard core fans have just given up talking about it.   No more blame the label.  No more speculating on what may happen.  Just look at the huge lack of posts around here
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »

True. 

That's what I never really understood.  If I recall, the reviews for CD when it came out were good.  The "media" wasn't trashing it.  Now, that didn't translate well to album sales (although I think some here think the album sold just fine) so maybe that's why he checked out.  It can't be because the artwork wasn't finished...right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: