Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Weezer?s ?Feels Like Summer? Video Is an Elaborate Homage to Guns N? Roses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weezer?s ?Feels Like Summer? Video Is an Elaborate Homage to Guns N? Roses  (Read 11004 times)
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« on: July 27, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »

Today, Weezer released the video for their EDM-tinged single ?Feels Like Summer. It?s a loving tribute to Guns ?N Roses?
classic ?Paradise City? clip, with grainy footage of Rivers Cuomo dressed up in convincing Axl getup, Brian Bell as Slash,
and so on. Watch the video, which was recorded during Weezer?s appearance at the Arroyo Seco festival in Pasadena,
CA, last month, below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNuxKbtFjV0

http://www.spin.com/2017/07/weezer-feels-like-summer-video-guns-n-roses/

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »

http://nerdist.com/weezer-become-guns-n-roses-in-their-feels-like-summer-video/

Is this mockery? Satirical parody? Tribute?
I know Weezer are GNR fans, but I hope this is a tribute to GNR and not a satire.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »

I don't think 'you'd be hard pressed to find any bigger guns n roses fans in modern rock than weezer'is true at all. In any way. I saw weezer supporting gnr and they were pretty uncomfortable, to say the least. I've never reqd anywhere that they were fans!

I really like weezer, but this is just....shitty. I hate anything that detracts from gnr as a serious act and turns them into fancy dress parody really. I know it's light hearted and all that, but it's fucking tiresome.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »

Also...and i say this as someone who owns every weezer album released..video aside, this song is fucking awful! What are they playing at?!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

I don't think 'you'd be hard pressed to find any bigger guns n roses fans in modern rock than weezer'is true at all. In any way. I saw weezer supporting gnr and they were pretty uncomfortable, to say the least. I've never reqd anywhere that they were fans!

I really like weezer, but this is just....shitty. I hate anything that detracts from gnr as a serious act and turns them into fancy dress parody really. I know it's light hearted and all that, but it's fucking tiresome.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Some parody is out of respect. For example, groups might do a parody of Sargent Pepper album cover or Abbey Road cover out of admiration for the Beatles. It can be fun and done out of respect and admiration. But it can also be a satirical slap.

In this case, I can't tell. Are they trying to imply GNR is a "spinal tap" joke or are they honoring their massive success this past year?
Or they could be trying to "cash in" on the GNR bandwagon this past year and are just opportunists.
Or they are jealous.
As I said, I can't tell.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:49:42 PM »

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Some parody is out of respect. For example, groups might do a parody of Sargent Pepper album cover or Abbey Road cover out of admiration for the Beatles. It can be fun and done out of respect and admiration. But it can also be a satirical slap.

In this case, I can't tell. Are they trying to imply GNR is a "spinal tap" joke or are they honoring their massive success this past year?
Or they could be trying to "cash in" on the GNR bandwagon this past year and are just opportunists.
Or they are jealous.
As I said, I can't tell.

I think the most likely reason is they think it's funny. GNR are a joke to a lot of people-especially the 'cool' crowd. I imagine weezer are trying to appeal to the pitchfork-types with this rubbish.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »

very wrong.

Axl Rose & Rivers Cuomo have mutual respect, they both like each other's band.
don't know if they are friends, could be.

there was a rumor in 2002 I think of Axl singing on their new album at the time.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »

on this track apparently, to be precise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t74OnwgOzU

the intro sounds kinda Chinese Democracy first demos  hihi

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »

very wrong.

Axl Rose & Rivers Cuomo have mutual respect, they both like each other's band.
don't know if they are friends, could be.

there was a rumor in 2002 I think of Axl singing on their new album at the time.

I'm not sure it's 'very wrong'. You'd hardly call Rivers a 'massive fan' would you? He made some fairly strange comments about GNR when they supported them. It was something along the lines of "Our first ever gig was supporting a GNR tribute group. We thought tonight would be different...and...umm...it isn't"- which was really a bit of a dig I thought. Either way, the support was never repeated, so I'm guessing it perhaps didn't go down too well! I know Axl likes Weezer- that's how the support came about, (he asked them because Guns had no support for London and they were in the country following Leeds) but I don't think Weezer are bothered. I've never heard anything about them being fans, and I like Weezer a lot. Also, check out the Weezer track 'Heart Songs' - it basically lists all Rivers favourite music. No mention of GNR at all.

Would be interested to see anything different, as I've always felt Rivers comments onstage that night to be pretty off colour.

I see this as Weezer 'having fun'- but to me it's a bit of a piss take.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:24:31 AM »

on this track apparently, to be precise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t74OnwgOzU

the intro sounds kinda Chinese Democracy first demos  hihi

Ah, that was one of those nonsense clickbait things from Blabbermouth. I don't think anyone else even bothered to report it- presume they just made that up, as they do a lot of their 'exclusives' which seem to have no source.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »

I liked them when they first came out but stopped paying attention to them after the 90s ended. I'm not sure what to make of this , seems like parody but not in a mocking way. Song isn't great but not horrible either.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »

There's the lyrics to their song Suzanne from the Mallrats soundtrack... "Even Izzy, Duff and Axl Rose, when they call I put them all on hold". Was pretty sure they were referenced in that song because Rivers is a fan.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 10:40:05 PM »

As someone who actually follows Weezer, I can assure you this was done in a fun and flattering way.  Rivers was actually a really big 80's metal guy and started off as a Yngwie Malmsteen style shredder.  They are also not dickheads, they wouldn't do this elaborate video to rip on a band they don't like.  I am a little surprised some of you took it as an insult, I really didn't take it that way at all.

There is also this...

In a statement, the band say: ?It Feels Like Summer in Paradise City. This is our tribute to the one and only Guns N? Roses.?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:45:19 PM by Bodhi » Logged
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »

As someone who actually follows Weezer, I can assure you this was done in a fun and flattering way.  Rivers was actually a really big 80's metal guy and started off as a Yngwie Malmsteen style shredder.  They are also not dickheads, they wouldn't do this elaborate video to rip on a band they don't like.  I am a little surprised some of you took it as an insult, I really didn't take it that way at all.

There is also this...

In a statement, the band say: ?It Feels Like Summer in Paradise City. This is our tribute to the one and only Guns N? Roses.?

As a fellow Weezer fan though......do you hate the song as much as me?! I think it's easily the worst thing they've ever done!

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »

There's the lyrics to their song Suzanne from the Mallrats soundtrack... "Even Izzy, Duff and Axl Rose, when they call I put them all on hold". Was pretty sure they were referenced in that song because Rivers is a fan.

It's actually "when I call you put them all on hold" - and it's a reference to a woman at the record label who supported them in the early days. The song details how they felt she was giving them priority over other bigger bands at the label, and how that boosted their confidence.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »

I knew the Weezer camp quite well until a decade ago, and they were always cool with GN'R. They were label stablemates.

The latest Weezer material though is awful
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

Stuck with them since the first album, bought every album since, but this song.....might be the one that breaks me!

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »

I thought "Feels Like Summer" was an ok song, the acoustic version is really good.  It is different from their other stuff , but thats not really a bad thing.  The new song "Mexican Fender" is more like typical Weezer.

The White album that came out in 2015 is right up there with the blue album for their second best album IMO.  Obviously nothing tops "Pinkerton."  But I think Weezer has been a consistently good band for the past 20 plus years.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »

I thought "Feels Like Summer" was an ok song, the acoustic version is really good.  It is different from their other stuff , but thats not really a bad thing.  The new song "Mexican Fender" is more like typical Weezer.

The White album that came out in 2015 is right up there with the blue album for their second best album IMO.  Obviously nothing tops "Pinkerton."  But I think Weezer has been a consistently good band for the past 20 plus years.

I didn't rate White that much. Green still stands as my favourite. I know the common view is that "weezer have been shit since Pinkerton" but I'm not with that. I've bought and enjoyed every album. I just can't find anything to like in this song!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: