Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses & Harley-Davidson Team Up Again
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses & Harley-Davidson Team Up Again  (Read 11774 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »

That's exactly what I mean! But it's far more widespread now than it ever has been, to the point of it being almost surreal! (I'm coming at this from a UK viewpoint of course, as that's where I live).
It's not about whether they have seen them live or not, but whether they have remote interest at all in the band whose t-shirt they are wearing. I find it totally baffling why anyone would wear a shirt of a band they don't like- and they do, as many conversations I've had with people has revealed. I admit to have given up on that, after recently standing next to a woman at  bar with a GNR shirt on, waiting to be served and asking her causally if she was going to see them on tour. She was unaware they were touring and said "to be honest, I don't now anything about them, I just bought the shirt from Primark". I liked her honesty, but that's not the first time I've had a similar conversation.  What's really changed I think is that rock tshirts are sold in fashion stores. Maybe that's not new elsewhere in the world, but it's certainly come about here in the past 5-6 years here on a large scale.  During the late eighties/early nineties I don't remember that happening- music shops and gigs seemed to be pretty much the only place they were sold. Perhaps that move is a result of declining music sales and attempts to claw back dwindling revenue streams. I also think where perhaps bands would have thought it was in some way 'uncool', not credible or embarrassing to have their shirts racked up next to Kim Kardashian's latest range or whatever that ship has long since sailed. The probable simple fact is- they've all getting bought and worn because they're in fashion stores. If they weren't, they wouldn't be getting bought!

This is MY point: At least stateside, it's not any more (or less) prevalent than it was in the late 80s and early 90s. What's old is new again.

Maybe it's new in the UK (I have doubts, but maybe), but music related shirts have been available in mainstream retail, here in the US, for as long as I can remember. Think...early 80s at least when I begged my mom for a Led Zep shirt in the middle of Caldors department store (think smaller version of Walmart that predated the Walmarts are everywhere era). That was in, like, 82? I was 8.

It's definitely a new thing here- but then, retail in general was totally different here in the 80s/90s. The only place I could ever hope to find a band shirt was HMV or Our Price (music shop chains) who stocked a small amount of shirts from current big bands. Even there it was pretty much 'luck of the draw' and they were fairly expensive. People at school were jealous of others shirts all the time!
Honestly, here, it's crazy now with certain bands- but only the ones that are selling through fashion chains. Big bands such as, say, U2 (who have just done a massive tour) you never see shirts for, because they're not in those stores. U2 have probably sold more tickets this summer within the UK/Ireland than GNR, but I don't recall seeing one shirt this summer! Seems like even little old ladies are wearing awful GNR shirts!

They've perhaps just ramped up in Europe chains? Maybe a Live Nation Europe thing?  Be interested to see what others think.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:55:46 AM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »

http://www.usc.co.uk/official-u2-t-shirt-mens-586072
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »

They've got a massive collection of shirts though, from bands that aren't really that  popular....

http://www.usc.co.uk/shop-by-trend/band-tees

It only really seems to be certain bands whose shirts reach this weird total saturation point in fashion retail. Why did it happen with the Ramones (and to a lesser extent the MC5) a few years ago I wonder? Why Slayer now? (They're popular sure, but not stadium popular)
It's interesting how it doesn't happen with certain bands and does with others. Is it as simple as someone like Bieber putting on an (ironic?) Manson shirt, which makes it take off?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:01:54 AM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »

For some reason this has really got to me. I know the answer is ignore it etc, but i've spent a summer seeing gnr shirts sold as fashion accesories in every store i go in, and it doesn't sit well with me. I don't like this weird new move towards them becoming what the ramones shirts were a few years ago- the go to 'rock shirt' for every clown that has read that the kardashians like to 'accesorize with a vintage band shirt' or whatever. I hate the fact that I'm starting to feel like a fashion chaser when i wearone of my shirts, and that if i used to see a gnr shirt i could have a chat with the wearer and know they were a fan. Now i see five people wearing them on my way to the train and can be pretty sure not one of those people give a flying fuck about the band. Enough of this shit. Why doea everything good get royally fucked over?!

Sorry! Rant over! Don't even get me started on fucking Justin Bieber and his brainless fans wearing marilyn manson shirts!

No, I get this.

Flipside, GNR left an absolute shit ton of money on the table basically going underground for 20 years.

I see little evidence that these past 2 years have been about anything but recouping as much as they can.  The good side of that is the concert tour.  The bad side, yes, are some questionable items that are pretty nakedly just about turning over some new dollars.

On balance, I'll take it though.  Good outweighs the bad.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »

For some reason this has really got to me. I know the answer is ignore it etc, but i've spent a summer seeing gnr shirts sold as fashion accesories in every store i go in, and it doesn't sit well with me. I don't like this weird new move towards them becoming what the ramones shirts were a few years ago- the go to 'rock shirt' for every clown that has read that the kardashians like to 'accesorize with a vintage band shirt' or whatever. I hate the fact that I'm starting to feel like a fashion chaser when i wearone of my shirts, and that if i used to see a gnr shirt i could have a chat with the wearer and know they were a fan. Now i see five people wearing them on my way to the train and can be pretty sure not one of those people give a flying fuck about the band. Enough of this shit. Why doea everything good get royally fucked over?!

Sorry! Rant over! Don't even get me started on fucking Justin Bieber and his brainless fans wearing marilyn manson shirts!

No, I get this.

Flipside, GNR left an absolute shit ton of money on the table basically going underground for 20 years.

I see little evidence that these past 2 years have been about anything but recouping as much as they can.  The good side of that is the concert tour.  The bad side, yes, are some questionable items that are pretty nakedly just about turning over some new dollars.

On balance, I'll take it though.  Good outweighs the bad.

Very good points. Good does outweigh the bad. I just wish that in their seeming desire to turn over the dollars the method of doing so was more creative and considered. Hell, I'm a mark for them, and I'm a mark for band related stuff- so make some stuff I want to buy and is aimed at me and people like me.

Ludicrously expensive jackets I wouldn't be seen dead in and Harley Davidson t-shirts? My money is staying in my pocket.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

Honestly, here, it's crazy now with certain bands- but only the ones that are selling through fashion chains. Big bands such as, say, U2 (who have just done a massive tour) you never see shirts for, because they're not in those stores. U2 have probably sold more tickets this summer within the UK/Ireland than GNR, but I don't recall seeing one shirt this summer! Seems like even little old ladies are wearing awful GNR shirts!

They've perhaps just ramped up in Europe chains? Maybe a Live Nation Europe thing?  Be interested to see what others think.

Again, must be a UK thing.

Because I have seen a couple of periods of time where Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum Tshirts were all over the place (in stores and on people). Not right NOW, but, say, 5 years ago or so? Right now its Guns, AC/DC, Slayer, and Metallica.

Last year it was Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Led Zep, and Motley Crue.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »

Again, must be a UK thing.

Because I have seen a couple of periods of time where Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum Tshirts were all over the place (in stores and on people). Not right NOW, but, say, 5 years ago or so? Right now its Guns, AC/DC, Slayer, and Metallica.

Last year it was Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Led Zep, and Motley Crue.

Got to be a geographic thing- or the UK catching up with other places! Led Zep shirts you see a lot of- the others you mentioned haven't really hit the high street shops with vigour! AC/DC are everywhere-Iron Maiden too are big ones, as are Nirvana, Smiths and Joy Division. They're the big ones for the 'don't really like the bands but buy the shirts' stores here I'd say.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »

Ludicrously expensive jackets I wouldn't be seen dead in and Harley Davidson t-shirts? My money is staying in my pocket.

Hahahaha

Some of those jackets are truly brutal looking.  Who the hell is wearing that stuff?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »

Hahahaha

Some of those jackets are truly brutal looking.  Who the hell is wearing that stuff?

Nightmare stuff! Think it's all aimed at the type of people who think a night in a Hard Rock Cafe is rock and roll!

ericy210
Headliner

What's up..... homefuck!

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »

So, back on topic.
As a fan and Harley owner, I need one.
I've called all the HD dealers in the Chicago area- nobody knows anything about it or has plans to get them.

Anyone else striking out or finding success?

Iowa City 1993, Leeds 2002, Quad Cities 2002, Chicago 2002, NYC 2006, Lisbon 2006, London 2006, Donnington 2006, Wembley 2006, Chicago 2006, Toronto 2010, Chicago 2011, Chicago 2012, Chicago 2016 x 2
gnr-4-ever
VIP

Personal Text:

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »

Has anyone actually found these anywhere? Got a HD dealership here in Croatia, they said the shirts should arrive "soon".

Not something you wanna hear if you're a GN'R fan.  Smiley

24/09/2010
17/07/2012
26/06/2015 🎩
19/05/2016 ⚡
04/07/2017
10/07/2017 🎤
03/06/2018
10/02/2019 🎩
19/07/2023
gnr-4-ever
VIP

Personal Text:

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:14 AM »

Shirts have finally arrived here, some interesting designs to choose from: https://www.facebook.com/HD.Split/posts/519051998436693

24/09/2010
17/07/2012
26/06/2015 🎩
19/05/2016 ⚡
04/07/2017
10/07/2017 🎤
03/06/2018
10/02/2019 🎩
19/07/2023
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: