Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Duff McKagan Interview - Talk Is Jericho Podcast
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Duff McKagan Interview - Talk Is Jericho Podcast  (Read 6318 times)
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« on: September 07, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llbj4cyvwco

New interview! Recorded in Winnipeg a few days back.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »

Anything of note?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »

Anything of note?
Its a great listen, for any fan. No shocking headlines to get out of it.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »

Anything of note?

Three key members have a floor each in the hotel, melissa is a vocal coach for duff, slash and duff encouraged axl to 'try out' for ac/dc, flew to watch him sing with them as a surprise. That's pretty much all the 'juice'!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »

P.S. HOW shit was summerslam hey DX?! What a donkey of an evening.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »

I Didnt know that Duff used to be a telemarketer before appetite.

Same job as Tommy Stinson had before joining GNR, quite an interesting coincidence.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »

"dude, you're marketing this wrong! you must do it like this, watch and learn:" Grin

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 12:39:54 AM »

Always great to listen to Duff, though nothing particularly new or exciting here.

Duff did touch on the writing process for Appetite, saying that the credit that all songs were written by Guns N Roses was completely true.  He talked about writing grooves with Steven twice a day, and that sometimes Steven's drumming would inspire a guitar riff.  Duff said that the statement that Izzy was an "unsung hero" wasn't really true, that Izzy was indeed "sung".  He said Izzy would often bring in a riff and the rest of the band would jump on it and shape it into what we heard on the record.  Duff said that sometimes Axl would come in and listen to their music, and say "this needs to be angrier!"

Duff also briefly touched on learning and playing Chinese Democracy songs.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:47:24 AM by Bridge » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 06:53:13 AM »

yeah, Izzy was a sung hero...but apparently not sung enough to be part of the "reunion", right?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

yeah, Izzy was a sung hero...but apparently not sung enough to be part of the "reunion", right?

Izzy was great, but he would not have been responsible for one more ticket being sold to this thing.  Any of the fans online who said they were going to sit this out because it wasn't the original 5 were lying, or were never going to go even if it was the "AFD" lineup.    A tour like this really caters to a broader and more general audience, you would be shocked to see how many people who went to these shows have no idea who Izzy Stradlin even is, or better yet think that Richard is Izzy or Izzy is Richard. 

Izzy didn't do himself any favors when he quit the band as they were ascending to become the biggest band on the planet.  Because of that Axl, Slash and Duff,  "the big 3" really got cemented(rightfully so) as being the most integral part of the classic line up, as they were the only constant on that whole 87-93 ride.

Personally I prefer the band the way it is, I like Richards playing more than Izzy's, and I am a big fan of Izzy's GNR work.

I totally get fans wanting Izzy in the band, but from just a business perspective, it makes no sense to bring him in and give him as much money as he was apparently asking for when they are selling out stadiums all over the world without him.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:21:45 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »

I would like to see the current line-up as a three guitar player band with Slash, Izzy and Richard. But I'm more than happy with the current two guitar player line-up as well.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
crazyfool
Headliner

You dig what i'm saying?

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »

One thing I thought was interesting was Duff's claim that Steven didn't use any rack toms during the recording of Appetite (he joked that he and Izzy would hide Steven's toms bc he would get too carried away with them, to the point he was left with only bass, snare, and floor tom).  I kinda blurted out "that can't be true" during that part bc all pics I remember seeing of Steven playing during that time show a traditional 5 piece kit with rack toms, but doing a google search I do see a few pics of him from back in the day behind a stripped down 3 piece.  Still seems like a stretch that there are no rack toms on the whole album but I thought that was interesting. 

12/6/02
5/12/06
5/14/06
11/10/06
4/9/16
6/26/16
crazyfool
Headliner

You dig what i'm saying?

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »

OH one other thing I picked up on right at the end of the podcast.....after the interview was over and Jericho was given his post-show recap spiel, he said something like "make sure you catch the band on this upcoming run of shows, they are killing it right now, they sound great, and who knows by the time they come to your town there may be new music"  The way he said it might have implied he was in the know that they were working on new material.  Maybe a new song soon?!?

12/6/02
5/12/06
5/14/06
11/10/06
4/9/16
6/26/16
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »

OH one other thing I picked up on right at the end of the podcast.....after the interview was over and Jericho was given his post-show recap spiel, he said something like "make sure you catch the band on this upcoming run of shows, they are killing it right now, they sound great, and who knows by the time they come to your town there may be new music"  The way he said it might have implied he was in the know that they were working on new material.  Maybe a new song soon?!?

I don't believe anything with the words ?maybe? and ?soon? in it

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »

So Melissa is a vocal coach huh?  Roll Eyes

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »

What's your problem with that

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 03:06:30 PM »

Izzy was great, but he would not have been responsible for one more ticket being sold to this thing.  Any of the fans online who said they were going to sit this out because it wasn't the original 5 were lying, or were never going to go even if it was the "AFD" lineup.    A tour like this really caters to a broader and more general audience, you would be shocked to see how many people who went to these shows have no idea who Izzy Stradlin even is, or better yet think that Richard is Izzy or Izzy is Richard. 

Izzy didn't do himself any favors when he quit the band as they were ascending to become the biggest band on the planet.  Because of that Axl, Slash and Duff,  "the big 3" really got cemented(rightfully so) as being the most integral part of the classic line up, as they were the only constant on that whole 87-93 ride.

Personally I prefer the band the way it is, I like Richards playing more than Izzy's, and I am a big fan of Izzy's GNR work.

I totally get fans wanting Izzy in the band, but from just a business perspective, it makes no sense to bring him in and give him as much money as he was apparently asking for when they are selling out stadiums all over the world without him.

All of this...

but also Axl was never going to abandon Frank and Richard... so the need to pay Izzy big or equal money was even less.

The Izzy threads and comments are all pretty stupid and na?ve at this point... we'd all love to see him there.. but lets grow up.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »

What's your problem with that

Yeah, I was going for humorous. As in, Axl has had some off nights and here she is a vocal coach. I took a risk and failed...  Sad

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »

Actually, Izzy did himself a huge favor by quitting in 1991 -- he kept himself sober and alive.

Slash and Duff are two of the luckiest bastards on the planet that they actually survived all of the insane, reckless abuse they put themselves through during the UYI tour.  Damn lucky, as it only took one more year for Duff to nearly die from his bloated pancreas.  Slash followed suit soon after by needing a defibrillator put into his heart.  Hell, Duff could've been murdered that night he paid somebody to drive him into the drug havens of Philadelphia to buy crack!   no  So yeah, the "biggest band on the planet" could've easily wound up infamous for the most numbers of band members dying on tour!

Of course public perception sees Slash and Duff (along with Axl) as the big three because they largely weren't aware of how much they put themselves -- and thus the GNR shows and fans -- at risk.  But since Slash and Duff survived, it's so easy (pardon the pun) to paint them out as the "stronger" ones because they remained in the band through 1993, and paint Izzy in a negative light for not lasting.  The truth is that Izzy was the smartest one of them all to walk away with his health and life intact.

It's sad that the general public doesn't know or appreciate Izzy, but I suppose that's inevitable at this point in time.  The sad truth is that we're past the point where a full reunion of the original five would actually mean anything to anyone other than hardcore original fans.  Oh well, at least Steven was there for a little while this time around.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:29:29 PM by Bridge » Logged
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 02:08:46 AM »

"dude, you're marketing this wrong! you must do it like this, watch and learn:" Grin

Also Amazing Pic Of RICHARD & IZZY 2006 In Europe

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: