Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:51:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227807 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NA Arena Tour Kickoff - Philly - October 8
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NA Arena Tour Kickoff - Philly - October 8  (Read 30555 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »

I was just reading a review written by someone at the Philly Inquirer that basically dismissed Dizzy and completely dismissed Richard, Frank, and Melissa. " The trio backed by longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed and a handful of assisting musicians " and he didn't mention Fortus at all for Wish You Were Here.. Called it Slash's rendition. I stopped reading after that lol

On a more positive note, I'm glad I had to switch going to the Montreal show August 18th for the Toronto show the 29th!  ( although being able to go to both would have been amazing) I was hoping for Attitude, but if they rotate them every night I'm screwed hihi I just can't wait to finally see GNR again after 7.5 long years!!

No one knows who Richard Fortus is.  And that's on Axl, if you want to get right down to it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »

I was just reading a review written by someone at the Philly Inquirer that basically dismissed Dizzy and completely dismissed Richard, Frank, and Melissa. " The trio backed by longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed and a handful of assisting musicians " and he didn't mention Fortus at all for Wish You Were Here.. Called it Slash's rendition. I stopped reading after that lol

On a more positive note, I'm glad I had to switch going to the Montreal show August 18th for the Toronto show the 29th!  ( although being able to go to both would have been amazing) I was hoping for Attitude, but if they rotate them every night I'm screwed hihi I just can't wait to finally see GNR again after 7.5 long years!!

I never heard of the girl that wrote that review. it was awful. just a very poorly written piece. felt like it came from a high school student. and she said Axl can't hit the notes. i'm thinking what show were you watching.

it's a shame what the Inky has turned into.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

Don't know what they were doing guitar-wise with Madagascar... Richard didn't really do his usual great solo and Slash just played rhythm the whole time and drowned out the clips... would have liked to have watched Slash have a crack at the solo or Richard do his usual thing

Listening to TWAT now.. Axl should just give up with this song at this point. He cannot sing it and messes up the words constantly

Not sure what his usual thing is, in the video that I'd seen it looks like he did great, totally loved it (although I'm not sure what Slash was doing..) and yes, what happened to the solo? Huh

Oh well, I'm just happy to hear this tune again Cheesy
GingerGringo92
Headliner

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »

Listening to TWAT now.. Axl should just give up with this song at this point. He cannot sing it and messes up the words constantly

While I don't think they should give it up, - I thought it sounded good - I'm quoting you because I missed a mistake in the first line until I read a comment on Youtube. Axl sang " Broken glass and registers" instead of " Broken glass and cigarettes". I didn't pay attention for others. As I said, I thought it was a good performance, especially considering how seldom they play it live. I'm just glad to see it in a set list.

Que lo mejor de mi pasado sea lo peor de tu futuro
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »

Maybe they should play it more, that way he can get a better feel for how to sing it live  peace

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »

Some songs are not made for a live setting
TWAT would qualify
Great tune - but doesn't seem right - perhaps in a smaller/acoustic setting it could kill
axl4life420
Opening Act

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:10 AM »

Heres my shot from Philly

Rocket Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WzKewZftHs&t=6s

6/13/91 Philly
12/16/91 Philly
12/6/02 Philly *Show was cancelled, mini riot
5/12/06 NYC
5/14/06 NYC
11/10/06 NYC
12/26/11 Camden, NJ
2/27/12 Philly
7/14/16 Philly
7/23/16 NY/NJ
10/8/17 Phil
sandman
Legend

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »

Some random thought on this show:

- it was incredible. they delivered again in my hometown. playing Maddy for the first time, TWAT, and all the GnR songs that sometimes get skipped, was so incredible to see. the show was a full 3 and a half hours. the first cords of ISO were played at 7:50 and PC ended at 11:20.

- it was really loud, but not in a bad way. the sound was clear. awesome sound. (at AC/DC, it seemed a little louder. still clear, but almost too loud.)

- Axl sounded incredible. I know some were saying his voice was shot, but he had tons of rasp in many songs. in others, he wasn't as high pitched as he sometimes seems to be. and i'll just say that even when he is more high pitched, it doesn't sound bad in person. youtube videos cannot capture the full sound of the band, but in person, they sounded phenomenal.

- the energy from the band was great. again, I heard some suggesting that they seemed tired at times in SA. not the case at all.   

- it looked very close to a sell out. although many seats were available a few days before the show, the stadium was packed. looking around I saw very few empty seats.

- I had tickets in the 2nd level row 1, straight away from the stage. a few weeks ago, I had similar seats for Lady Gaga, but someone working at the venue was walking around the 2nd level concourse giving out 1st level seats near the stage so they could "fill the seats". since my 9-year-old was with me, we got upgraded. so for GnR, I went looking for this guy and sure enough I found him. I asked if he could upgrade me and my family celebrating my daughter's 10th bday and he said he'd give me the best seats he had. 6 tickets in Section 113, Row 7 (which is one section over from the stage). incredible seats. figured i'd mention that since they probably do this in many venues and with the best seats going for $250, there may be some empty.

- everyone I was with was blown away. my sister saw them for the first time and she couldn't believe how great Axl sounded, and how great of a show they put on. she is a huge U2 fan and said this was just as good as their best shows. my brother is an Axl-hater. saw them in '91 and was at the '02 riot and he swore never again. he finally broke down (cause a buddy of mine backed out) and he loved the show. this was my daughter's 3rd concert - she loved gaga and said this was way better. she did a show n tell at school on Monday and talked about the show.

- the lithogram was killer for this show. lines were too long when I walked past the merchandise, so I was not able to buy anything. but some drunk guy handed my daughter a poster of it during the show. that was really cool. it's already hanging in her bedroom.

- I loved the screens they still have behind the stage. the opening video right after the guns are firing is really cool too.

- not much else I can say that hasn't already been said about this band that hadn't already been said. they are still firing on all cylinders. Axl sounds incredible and still puts on a great show. Slash is a madman on guitar and this set list really showcases his abilities. Duff is cool as ever. and the rest of the band are great - Frank is killer and I've always been a fan of fortus. Melissa bring a cool vibe as well and does some good stuff on various songs, and dizzy is still doing his thing really well.   

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »

I sat first row second level to see Pink at Wells Fargo and I thought that seat was stellar.  I actually try for that location now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »

I sat first row second level to see Pink at Wells Fargo and I thought that seat was stellar.  I actually try for that location now.

I agree. unobstructed view of the whole stage. can't beat that.

how was the sound for GnR where you were sitting? I read a review on PhillyMag and they said the sound was not good. I was shocked.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »

how was the sound for GnR where you were sitting? I read a review on PhillyMag and they said the sound was not good. I was shocked.

I was in 101.  Great seats.

I only found the sound so-so, to be honest.  More Axl than the band.  Thought the band all sounded good.

Also agree with you about AC/DC being almost TOO loud last September.  But I'd have rather had Axl's mix on Sunday be a bit more like it was last September with Angus and the boys.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »

I was in 101.  Great seats.

I only found the sound so-so, to be honest.  More Axl than the band.  Thought the band all sounded good.

Also agree with you about AC/DC being almost TOO loud last September.  But I'd have rather had Axl's mix on Sunday be a bit more like it was last September with Angus and the boys.

the mix at AC/DC was perfect. you could hear Axl loud and clear. and it may have been the best I ever heard him sound.

I was directly on the other side from you (Section 113). I thought Axl sounded clear. could have been a tad louder, but it wasn't an issue. maybe its just a little different on different sides of the stage.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2017, 04:58:49 AM »

I was about to type somrthing along the lines of 'you went to see pink?!?!'......then i see she joined them onstage last night at msg. That's a fucking weird coincidence!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: