Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Destruction is coming - Appetite For Destruction deluxe editions out June 29th
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Destruction is coming - Appetite For Destruction deluxe editions out June 29th  (Read 141029 times)
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »

Seems like they ripped you off though, you paid a lot of money for all your stuff, a lot of which went into their pockets, and now they're gonna earn big box on it AGAIN for free ...

I have to agree here. I understand how good it must've felt and like helping an old friend.

The sad fact though is that there isn't any friend. Some faceless people simply laughed at what they got from you and for what price.

Thank you so much for doing this but you should have negotiated a fair deal. It's called capitalism and the world we live in Sad
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »

The ?Shadow of Your Love? official lyric video is no longer working for me in the U.K. it says the uploader hasn?t made it available in my country. It worked fine when it was first uploaded, not sure why they changed it.

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
hunter80
Headliner

« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »

I am super excited for this. I really hope Illusions are next. Make it so GNR Smiley

That being said I?m going to buy iTunes Super Deluxe version of this. I normally buy cd?s and rip them in a high quality file for my custom iPod?s. I then sell the cd?s back to my local record store. I haven?t had a cd, or vinyl, collection in many years now. The price for the physical version of this is pretty high and all the extra goodies are not something I need. I hope they consider basic cd formats that still have all the audio but without the extra swag in the future.

Great time to be a GNR fan!

11/8/02, 11/10/06, 11/11/06, 11/2/11, 12/13/11, 12/16/11, 12/27/11, 2/21/12, 11/3/12, 11/17/12, 11/24/12, 5/24/14, 5/25/14, 5/30/14, 5/31/14, 6/7/14, 4/9/16, 8/15/16, 11/17/17
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »

I am super excited for this. I really hope Illusions are next. Make it so GNR Smiley

That being said I?m going to buy iTunes Super Deluxe version of this. I normally buy cd?s and rip them in a high quality file for my custom iPod?s. I then sell the cd?s back to my local record store. I haven?t had a cd, or vinyl, collection in many years now. The price for the physical version of this is pretty high and all the extra goodies are not something I need. I hope they consider basic cd formats that still have all the audio but without the extra swag in the future.

Great time to be a GNR fan!
Its available in multi formats without all the bells and whistles, the box set is priced way too high and will be extremely hard to sell to any normal fan who isn't a millionaire.
hunter80
Headliner

« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »

The physical formats without all the swag took away form all the audio you get in the Super Deluxe. As an example the 2 CD has ?highlights? from the b-sided and demos only.

11/8/02, 11/10/06, 11/11/06, 11/2/11, 12/13/11, 12/16/11, 12/27/11, 2/21/12, 11/3/12, 11/17/12, 11/24/12, 5/24/14, 5/25/14, 5/30/14, 5/31/14, 6/7/14, 4/9/16, 8/15/16, 11/17/17
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »

Thanks for the input troccoli. Smiley

For everyone that's curious, this version of Shadow of Your Love is from a November 1986 one song session they did with Mike Clink as a trial to see if they wanted to hire him.  The Dec 86 description on the website is a bit of a misprint
So can you confirm if there are overdubs or any new rerecording layer added?

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »

huge bummer they left out One In A Million.  Yeah, it it's politically incorrect,

I like "One in a Million" too.  But as I recall the shitstorm back in 1988 that surrounded this song, I realize it would be 10,000 times worse today.  Sad but true.   Sad
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »

huge bummer they left out One In A Million.  Yeah, it it's politically incorrect,

I like "One in a Million" too.  But as I recall the shitstorm back in 1988 that surrounded this song, I realize it would be 10,000 times worse today.  Sad but true.   Sad

Not sure if people already noticed, but One in a Million is not available on Spotify anymore. It used to be, I guess.

For pure digital, grab the MP3 version and store them on your phone. You can get them from amazon (I posted a link earlier in the thread).  They're gonna take some space, though....probably about 3 GB or so (700mb per CD-ish plus a little bit)  I'm not sure if the S8 will play flaccs, but if they do, you could grab the CD and rip your own less lossy versions.

Streaming, of all types, are going to introduce compression and loss.  If you're looking for fidelity, they're all about the same....which is to say "Not ideal".
I looked at Amazon for more info on their MP3. It's 256 kbps on average, but it's variable bitrate.

Spotify on the other hand is 320 Kbps for premium users and the compression is OGG. And premium members can download the files for offline playing. I guess I'll stick to that if it gets released in the same date.

Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #328 on: May 05, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »

I like "One in a Million" too.  But as I recall the shitstorm back in 1988 that surrounded this song, I realize it would be 10,000 times worse today.  Sad but true.   Sad

At one point I thought Axl had meant to omit One In a Million from any future pressings of Lies. To my knowledge that never happened, but here it come to fruition. I admire the act, and the thinking behind it, but OIAM is up there with my very favorite songs, not at all for the lyrics but the dark sound. That cool Richards like riffing on the electric guitar against the acoustic. Just kind of chugs along at that menacing pace, Axl all over with his vocals, the eerie piano at the end. Such a weird cool song, musically.

I've seen enough.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2018, 01:52:58 AM »

At one point I thought Axl had meant to omit One In a Million from any future pressings of Lies. To my knowledge that never happened, but here it come to fruition.

That is correct.  Many years ago, Axl did say that "One in a Million" and "Look at Your Game Girl" would be omitted from future pressings of their respective albums.  I don't think it happened either place, but as you say, it has come to fruition here.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2018, 03:44:23 AM »

For everyone that's curious, this version of Shadow of Your Love is from a November 1986 one song session they did with Mike Clink as a trial to see if they wanted to hire him.  The Dec 86 description on the website is a bit of a misprint
I've been thinking about this too, cuz my sources said July. thanks for the clarification Smiley

FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »

I like "One in a Million" too.  But as I recall the shitstorm back in 1988 that surrounded this song, I realize it would be 10,000 times worse today.  Sad but true.   Sad

Not sure if people already noticed, but One in a Million is not available on Spotify anymore. It used to be, I guess.

I can still play it on Spotify. So maybe it has only been removed in certain areas.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »

At one point I thought Axl had meant to omit One In a Million from any future pressings of Lies. To my knowledge that never happened, but here it come to fruition.

That is correct.  Many years ago, Axl did say that "One in a Million" and "Look at Your Game Girl" would be omitted from future pressings of their respective albums.  I don't think it happened either place, but as you say, it has come to fruition here.

I just bought Lies on CD (for decoration purposes) a couple of months ago from a biggish Central European store. The song is there but then of course I have no idea what those numbers mean to determine how old or new that pressing is.

It looks new but who knows how many years it was there waiting for some customer Roll Eyes
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »

I can still play it on Spotify. So maybe it has only been removed in certain areas.
Actually, you're right. It's still available (I can play it on one of my playlists). It's just not listed in the Lies tracklist anymore. It's kinda hidden.

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »

First single in 10 years, and it's a 30 year old song.

That's the most GN'R thing I've read today.
Written By Axl, Paul Tobias, and Izzy.  None of them except Axl is in the band today.
 Wink

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »

You want the story well here it is:

So obviously they were looking to put old stuff (flyers, demos, pictures, etc.) on the boxset.  Why they aren?t all on there I don?t know, but I have heard hints about future releases so we will see.  No guarantees there.  They contacted a person I bought something from and that person referred them to me.  Initially it was just for that one item.  We arranged a time to talk.  On the phone I told them about my collection and had them check out my website while we were talking.  They wanted to buy the banner right off the bat but I said I wasn?t interested at this time before a price was ever even raised.  They were blown away and at that point the plans for the boxset changed a bit.  But I think they always had a certain release date they were aiming for because I only had a day to box everything I had from 1985-1989/90 and send it to them. 

Before I did that I independently verified who I was talking with on the phone, after all I am no idiot.  Still I was nervous sending all that and UPS insurance only goes so high.  But I figured what the hell.  Everything arrived safely and they got to work.  They had it for a little over a month and arranged times for management and the band to come by and check everything out.  I can say that Slash and Duff were involved, this wasn?t just Axl.  They told me my name would be in the credits, that I would be receiving x, y, and z, etc.  The person that referred them to me said I should ask them for $ for using the stuff I own.  Now I may be an asshole, but I am not a complete and total fucking asshole so no way in hell was I going to extort any band, let alone my favorite band, to use stuff that is theirs to begin with!

Everything came back in the same condition I lent it to them.  But I was nervous about the shipping once again!  And all that time I had to keep this from all of you.  It was agonizing!  If I had known the price plan ahead of time I would have done what little I could to try to help you guys out.  This is the reason I also removed the links to the demo I posted originally.  Yes, it wasn?t used in this boxset, but like I said perhaps in the future.

This is awesome , thank you!  I bet they were completely amazed by your collection, you're 100% the right person to have been involved - good on you. I bet posting it all off and waiting for them was massively tense!!

Thanks you and yes, massively tense is a great way of phrasing how I felt at the time!

Thanks for the details! Weirdly, i did think of you when i saw the replica banner, as i knew you had the original. I was also wondering what level of input the band had into all this- I guess some, by what you were saying. Who coordinated it all? I'm assuming the record label?

You are welcome!  The record label coordinated everything indeed.  Now we need to convince them/the band/mgmt/the business to release everything else!

Since they made the ridiculous decision NOT to include the Mystic session (and Pasha for that matter), if it weren't for you, we would've never had a gen 1 rip in fantastic quality, so I thank you sir !!!

Seems like they ripped you off though, you paid a lot of money for all your stuff, a lot of which went into their pockets, and now they're gonna earn big box on it AGAIN for free ...

Why they decided to include memorabilia over music to celebrate an album, I guess we'll never know ...

You are welcome and that's not even the highest quality version I have!  They said tehy chose to hold off on certain material for future releases.  What those future releases are and when they are I don't know.  Also not sure why this wasn't released last year.  I'll have to try to ask about that.  I didn't ask for anything but that doesn't mean that I am not getting anything in return...

I have to agree here. I understand how good it must've felt and like helping an old friend.

The sad fact though is that there isn't any friend. Some faceless people simply laughed at what they got from you and for what price.

Thank you so much for doing this but you should have negotiated a fair deal. It's called capitalism and the world we live in Sad

You are most welcome!  See above post I made regarding compensation.  I must confess that I would believe certain members of the band have a lot (though not all) of the stuff I have.  Maybe they were just too busy to dig it all out for the label???

You are most welcome!  I have been told no overdubs or new rerecording.  I can only go by what I was told but this was by the person that put the whole thing together.

I've been thinking about this too, cuz my sources said July. thanks for the clarification Smiley

See above post.  They recorded this song many times hence many versions, and different recording dates.  By the session to try out Mike Clink is Nov 86 from what I was told.  I understand that information may not jive with what is out there including what is listed on this website.  I don't know what to say, just what I was told when I asked this question directly.

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2018, 01:12:40 AM »

I transcribed this from the lyric video:

Took my chances carelessly
I said I choked on my own cigarette
You can hand me another bottle of whiskey, baby
But you haven't seen the worst yet

Now I'm reckless, gonna have some fun
I had a woman who had said it was all alright
Now I'm back the only one

And I ain't standing, never standing in the
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love, oh no

Stole my changes helplessly
I said yeah, but I got no regrets
Money it was on the table
So I booked with all the bets
Living like your livin' ain't so hot
You ain't my idea, of a high-rollin' shot

So I ain't standing,
I'm never standin' in the
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love

High price calling hangin' over your head
I hope you're heard, baby all I've said
You've gone cold,  or even misread
No use crying, you're as good as dead

Now I'm reckless, gonna have some fun
I had a woman who had said it was all alright
Now I'm back the only one

And I ain't standing,
never standing in the
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow of your love
Shadow, shadow, sha...

/jarmo

A small correction; "money, it was on the table", there's no "it". Just "money was on the table".

I also feel like "now I'm back the only one" must be wrong because it makes no sense, but I can't come up with anything else that fits.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2018, 05:43:17 AM »

A small correction; "money, it was on the table", there's no "it". Just "money was on the table".

I also feel like "now I'm back the only one" must be wrong because it makes no sense, but I can't come up with anything else that fits.

True. It's in the lyrics but doesn't sound like Axl sings it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
fangbutt
Opening Act

« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »

I hear the "it" pretty clearly
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »

I can hear the "it" also pretty clearly.

And I understand the part "now I'm back the only one" the way like Mourinho is talking about himself as "the special one".

But since English isn't my first language, maybe I am wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: