Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Destruction is coming - Appetite For Destruction deluxe editions out June 29th
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Destruction is coming - Appetite For Destruction deluxe editions out June 29th  (Read 139745 times)
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »

It’s so not the demo version..it’s laughable & typical GN’R..say nothing as we’ll advertise it on the back of the original line up. Anyone can surely hear the difference? That cd is meant to be from the same session.

Also Steven has said it ain’t him playing.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »

It’s so not the 1986 version..it’s laughable & typical GN’R..say nothing as we’ll advertise it on the back of the original line up. Anyone can surely hear the difference? That cd is meant to be from the same session.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #522 on: October 25, 2018, 05:20:35 AM »

It’s so not the demo version..it’s laughable & typical GN’R..say nothing as we’ll advertise it on the back of the original line up. Anyone can surely hear the difference? That cd is meant to be from the same session.

I'm confused.

You're saying it's not a demo version? Because it sounds different.

This is the first time it was released. So there's no reference.

Huh

It's not from the Sound City session like the other tracks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

I'm confused.

Huh

/jarmo

So who's playing on it?  Did Axl (or others) re-record parts?  Seems like easy questions to answer. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »

So who's playing on it?  Did Axl (or others) re-record parts?  Seems like easy questions to answer. 

I haven't seen anyone mention anything about any re-recording. So I'm assuming it's the same people who plays on the rest of the album.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »

I haven't seen anyone mention anything about any re-recording. So I'm assuming it's the same people who plays on the rest of the album.

/jarmo

Got it...just weird that Steven says it's not him on drums and that lead guitar was re-recorded.  Then again, Steven is kind of weird...

I am looking forward to next weekend when we'll have much more current things to discuss.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »

/jarmo

Got it...just weird that Steven says it's not him on drums and that lead guitar was re-recorded.  Then again, Steven is kind of weird...

I am looking forward to next weekend when we'll have much more current things to discuss.

I floated this a few pages back,but I'll float it again:

Steven has likely never heard the cleaned up audio track. Ever.  And it's probably been a LONG time since he's heard even the "messy" track.

And Steven's memory has, in the past, yielded some...odd?...memories on many topics.

I think its him.  I think it has been significantly cleaned up and retooled, to the point where he might find it hard to recognize.  Its probably a departure from the track he remembers hearing, even if we trust his memory 100%.  Different enough that it would be hard to recognize.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »

Sure, it's weird. But Slash's girlfriend Meegan commented on Instagram saying Slash didn't re-record the guitars....

I have no other info to go by, and also I assume that it's the same band that plays on the rest of the album. Because that's the release. Appetite For Destruction.
If it was re-recorded by the current band, wouldn't they have called it something else (Shadow Of Your Love 2018 or something similar), and maybe not even included it in that boxset?

Personally, I think they took the original tapes, and made a mix out of them that sounds like something more modern. They didn't have to make it sound like 1986 because it was never released in the first place.

That's what I think until someone who knows more than I do tells me I'm wrong.  Smiley

/jarmo

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »

I'm confused.

Huh

/jarmo

Which session is it from? It says recorded November 1986. The drums sound unlike any from the entire appetite album, any of the demos & the drummer in question says it’s not him.

It does say there was additional engineering in 2018 by Adam Chagon. Is engineering different to mixing?

A simple internet search says “Recording Engineers shape the sound of an album. They record, edit, and mix sound through their choice of microphones, setting levels and sound manipulation techniques.”

This is the only song that has an additional engineer.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:15:11 PM by reayj2003 » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2018, 05:38:08 PM »

Which session is it from? It says recorded November 1986. The drums sound unlike any from the entire appetite album, any of the demos & the drummer in question says it’s not him.

It does say there was additional engineering in 2018 by Adam Chagon. Is engineering different to mixing?

A simple internet search says “Recording Engineers shape the sound of an album. They record, edit, and mix sound through their choice of microphones, setting levels and sound manipulation techniques.”

It's from a session they did with Mike Clink to see if he'd get to produce the album. It was mentioned in the press release for the box set:

and a pair of unreleased tracks from recording sessions by Appetite's producer Mike Clink: "Shadow Of Your Love" recorded December 1986, one month before the album sessions, as a trial recording session which resulted in Clink getting the producer gig; and "Move To The City (1988 Acoustic Version)" which was from the GN'R Lies sessions.

Chris Lord-Alge mixed it, Adam engineered it. This year.

It still doesn't say anywhere that someone else plays on it besides the five guys from Appetite or that something was recorded on it this year... Just that more people were involved on a track that they actually put out to be played on radio.

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »

If it did feature people other than the 'original five' we'd know about it- what would be the point in keeping it quiet? It's been touched up, clearly...but that's about it I feel.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #531 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »

If it did feature people other than the 'original five' we'd know about it- what would be the point in keeping it quiet? It's been touched up, clearly...but that's about it I feel.

We do know about it the drummer has said it’s not him!  hihi

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #532 on: October 26, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »

If they could assemble the drum track for Civil War from multiple takes in 1990, imagine what they can do today.

Maybe that's why it sounds so fresh, instead of sounding like a 1986 release.

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #533 on: October 26, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »

I'm not sure I entirely trust his memory though......which I think is fair given he's looking to release a book based around things he doesn't remember and others do about his life!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »

I'm not sure I entirely trust his memory though......which I think is fair given he's looking to release a book based around things he doesn't remember and others do about his life!

Exactly this.

I don't think Adlers lying.  I think he's misremembering (or, again, the assembled track just doesn't bear any resemblance to what he remember recording).

Together again,
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #535 on: October 27, 2018, 01:21:55 AM »

So these photos from Axl's personal collection that are said to be included.... have any of them made their way online?  How many are we talking?  I'd like to see them.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #536 on: October 27, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »

I'm confused.

Huh

/jarmo

They can do anything with it, and make it sound so different that the drummer who played the drums 30 years ago would not recognize it. So yeah, it could be anything. I know Adler said he's sure it's not him. But audio engineering and processing can make it sound VERY different -having witnessed that multiple times I dare to make such a bold statement. And then mixing and mastering still needs to be done, which also can make it sound VERY different. We simply will never know.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #537 on: October 28, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »

So these photos from Axl's personal collection that are said to be included.... have any of them made their way online?  How many are we talking?  I'd like to see them.

They're from Axl's archives, taken by Robert John. You can see a sample in the unboxing video: https://youtu.be/cHakH5MY0c8?t=134

/jarmo

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #538 on: October 29, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »

I got the deluxe edition last week, im loving it!!  beer
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #539 on: November 05, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »

NOT the Deluxe Edition, but...

Looks like Target is going to have their Red Vinyl version of AFD on sale, on Black Friday, for $15, which is about 50% off.  If anyone is looking for a copy, that would probably be the time to jump on it!

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: