Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:48:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227807 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shadow Of Your Love - reactions
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadow Of Your Love - reactions  (Read 28594 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: May 04, 2018, 07:20:09 PM »

Reactions from the press (Most articles focuses on detailing the box set, but some took the time to say some words about the single).

Because holy shit, ?Shadow Of Your Love? rips. The band is using a remastered, no-crowd-noise version of the song to serve as the single from the box set, and it?s a total blitzkrieg, fast and nasty and powerful. It shows just how much punk rock was in the band?s early DNA, and it shows a group of musicians truly locked-in and Axl Rose?s out-of-control howl in peak form. It sounds dangerous.

https://www.stereogum.com/1994653/guns-n-roses-shadow-of-your-love/music/

The song features on their massive new Locked N? Loaded box set, and is taken from the band?s recording sessions by Appetite producer Mike Clink from December 1986 ? one month before the actual album sessions themselves. Badass.

http://www.kerrang.com/the-news/guns-n-roses-drop-previously-unreleased-track-shadow-of-your-love/

Guns N? Roses have unleashed an absolute juggernaut of an unreleased recording: a studio version of ?Shadow Of Your Love?, taken from a long-lost December 1986 recording session with Appetite For Destruction producer Mike Clink.

Dating back to the days of Hollywood Rose ? the 80s LA group that, at one point, included four out of five future GN?R members, Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler ? the song, captured while the band honed the material that would feature on their legendary debut album, Appetite For Destruction, rips along at a breakneck pace. Axl Rose?s unmistakably wall-crumbling vocals and the band?s utterly unfettered performance encapsulates everything that made GN?R such a magnetic force in the mid-80s.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/guns-n-roses-shadow-of-your-love/

To give fans a taste of what will be included, the band has shared the previously unreleased song "Shadow Of Your Love."  The song is as wild and furious as the Sunset Strip was back in those days, combining punk and metal. Fast paced guitar, adrenaline-fueled drums, and Axl Rose's spirited vocals are on full display. Listening to the song that will make you wonder why it didn't make the final cut for the album.

https://zumic.com/shadow-of-your-love-guns-n-roses-youtube-lyric-video

Triple M debuted a brand new Guns N Roses track from the upcoming deluxe re-release of Appetite For Destruction today, and it?s an absolute cracker.

Shadow Of Your Love is a searing piece of quintessential gunners, harking back to the menace, pace and brashness of the original album in 1987.

Check out how the Triple M crew reacted to the new track here:

"Holy balls to the wall... I?ve just stepped back to 1987. What a cracking tune? Nightrain meets Welcome to the Jungle. Happy Friday indeed!"
- ?Dangerous? Dave Williams

"New @gunsnroses - bigger, louder and more offensive than I ever imagined"
- Becko

"@gunsnroses track ?Shadow Of Your Love? is so good I just played it on Triple M TWICE"
- Ugly Phil

"How good! Vintage Appetite-era Gunners with Shadow of Your Love..."
- Ewan Giles

https://www.triplem.com.au/music/news/the-triple-m-team-reacts-to-the-new-guns-n-roses-track

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »

The song is holding up very well in mainstream radio and media and amongst casual hard rock fans.
85 - 90% of Youtube comments are ecstatic. Local radio DJs are praising the song. Gnr is giving the masses, casual fans, and mainstream rock fans exactly what they want and expected out of a "new" GNR tune. From a business and PR stance, this makes sense. The band was smart enough to release "SOYL" because it would be "impossible" to say that it "didn't sound like Gnr."

I also think their decision to release SOYL as their "first single" is a very symbolic move. It speaks to both the causal rock fan on one level and to the hardcore fan on another. To the casual fan-- it says "we're back!" GNR takes one of their best yet most obscure old songs and polishes it up. To the masses it would sound fresh and new and leave no room for debate about whether or not it "holds up" to the classic GNR sound and canon.

To the hardcore fan- SOYL is a very symbolic statement- They are going "back to the start" where it all began. We know that this is the first song they ever played together and it goes straight to the bedrock of GNR.

This is definitely a statement that "more is to come." They are starting at the beginning. They are "making up for lost years (94 - 2000) and reclaiming their legacy. They are exposing their catalogue to show that they do indeed have an expansive catalogue that can hold up to the other aspects of their legacy. Their limited catalogue is usually the only criticism against GNR.

In some ways this was a smart move--- this is exactly the kind of song mainstream rock radio and the causal rock fan needed from GNR. It guaranteed the classic GNR sound so that there would be "no debate" about whether or not it did or didn't "sound" like GNR. They came charging out of the gate, sounding like 1987 GNR, leaving them satisfied.

One thing is clear-- GNR are making very strategic moves. They are honing in on "the big picture" of their ultimate legacy now. They have a masterplan and are on a mission. Releasing SOYL as their "comeback single" wasn't some last minute, spontaneous move. They are making a statement.

SOYL is clearly an Appetite caliber song. Compared to the rest of GNR's catalogue it might seem"average," or "generic," but it's not. Compared to 95% of current rock songs, it's big, fast, and loud and easily lives up to the classic GNR groove and swing. Hearing it on the radio instead of an iPhone or computer in your basement makes you immediately realize how bad ass the song is.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:32:09 PM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:52:38 AM »

I have to be honest though: that Slash solo sounds "way too now"....its vibe reminded me of the Contraband stuff. Not sure if Slash was already able to play like this in 86....

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »

I have to be honest though: that Slash solo sounds "way too now"....its vibe reminded me of the Contraband stuff. Not sure if Slash was already able to play like this in 86....

I had the same feeling.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »

Funniest reactions are from people who think its a new song.  Grin
They are lucky in a way.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »

I like how positive the reactions are.

I had the same feeling.
Me too. I already thought of it when I heard the riff he plays in the intro. It's killer tho.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »

I like how positive the reactions are.

I had the same feeling.
Me too. I already thought of it when I heard the riff he plays in the intro. It's killer tho.

If he's working on that... maybe he's working on checkmate Tongue

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »

Not sure if Slash was already able to play like this in 86....

Seriously? Have you not heard Reckless Life?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 02:37:53 PM »

I think he meant style and not skill. His style has changed or grown a bit with time.

FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »

I think he meant style and not skill. His style has changed or grown a bit with time.

That's what I meant indeed. I know he had the chops back then, but the way he plays now is on a whole other level and this solo sounds way more "current" Slash. Meaning speed, flow, playing style and the sound itself. Back then he was a lot more sloppy, and this solo sounds tight.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:12:41 PM by FreddieJames » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »

The song kicks some serious ass

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 03:01:34 AM »

That's what I meant indeed. I know he had the chops back then, but the way he plays now is on a whole other level and this solo sounds way more "current" Slash. Meaning speed, flow, playing style and the sound itself. Back then he was a lot more sloppy, and this solo sounds tight.

I think the word "able" belies that, but in any case, he played just that clean on AFD.

Also, the exact same version was already out in lesser quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPik5u-INYM

FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »

I think the word "able" belies that, but in any case, he played just that clean on AFD.

Ah, so I was wrong. The sound itself seemed more modern but I guess it really is the re-mastering then.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »

Ah, so I was wrong. The sound itself seemed more modern but I guess it really is the re-mastering then.

It really is incredible how good the quality is for something from 1986. I definitely agree it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

Not exact same version. There's one overdubbed Slash lead in the intro. Izzy and Slash's rhythm are different in some areas too. And the solo is not the same.

GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »

I wonder if they will be playing shadow of your love on the upcoming tour.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »

I really like this song...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 01:02:38 AM »

Not exact same version. There's one overdubbed Slash lead in the intro. Izzy and Slash's rhythm are different in some areas too. And the solo is not the same.

True. Although many of Izzy's parts are just lost in the mix of the old one. They are nearly the same though, so I think it's more likely just different takes from the same session or something. Isn't it supposed to be from the Clink Session? I can't imagine they would re-record parts and try to pass it off as the original recording though, when they could just include both the original and a re-recorded version if they really wanted to.

fangbutt
Opening Act

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »

It's not even the same vocal take either, and you can tell from Axl's very first line
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 11:12:06 AM »

It's not even the same vocal take either, and you can tell from Axl's very first line

I noticed that too. Maybe they are all old takes, but not the same ones.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: