Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:46:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shadow Of Your Love - reactions
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadow Of Your Love - reactions  (Read 28578 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »

The song is holding up very well in mainstream radio and media and amongst causal hard rock fans.
85 - 90% of Youtube comments are ecstatic. Local radio DJs are praising the song. Gnr is giving the masses, casual fans, and mainstream rock fans exactly what they want and expected out of a "new" GNR tune. From a business and PR stance, this makes sense. The band was smart enough to release "SOYL" because it would be "impossible" to say that it "didn't sound like Gnr."

I also think their decision to release SOYL as their "first single" is a very symbolic move. It speaks to both the causal rock fan on one level and to the hardcore fan on another. To the casual fan-- it says "we're back!" GNR takes one of their best yet most obscure old songs and polishes it up. To the masses it would sound fresh and new and leave no room for debate about whether or not it "holds up" to the classic GNR sound and canon.

To the hardcore fan- SOYL is a very symbolic statement- They are going "back to the start" where it all began. We know that this is the first song they ever played together and it goes straight to the bedrock of GNR.

This is definitely a statement that "more is to come." They are starting at the beginning. They are "making up for lost years (94 - 2000) and reclaiming their legacy. They are exposing their catalogue to show that they do indeed have an expansive catalogue that can hold up to the other aspects of their legacy. Their limited catalogue is usually the only criticism against GNR.

In some ways this was a smart move--- this is exactly the kind of song mainstream rock radio and the causal rock fan needed from GNR. It guaranteed the classic GNR sound so that there would be "no debate" about whether or not it did or didn't "sound" like GNR. They came charging out of the gate, sounding like 1987 GNR, leaving them satisfied.

One thing is clear-- GNR are making very strategic moves. They are honing in on "the big picture" of their ultimate legacy now. They have a masterplan and are on a mission. Releasing SOYL as their "comeback single" wasn't some last minute, spontaneous move. They are making a statement.

SOYL is clearly an Appetite caliber song. Compared to the rest of GNR's catalogue it might seem"average," or "generic," but it's not. Compared to 95% of current rock songs, it's big, fast, and loud and easily lives up to the classic GNR groove and swing. Hearing it on the radio instead of an iPhone or computer in your basement makes you immediately realize how bad ass the song is.

GNR are making very strategic moves

+ This Line Up First Time In Europe

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »

Guns N' Roses Make First Mainstream Rock Songs Chart Appearance Since 2009

5/11/2018 by Kevin Rutherford

Plus, Skindred scales the chart for the first time since 2005.

One veteran of Billboard's Mainstream Rock Songs airplay chart makes a grand return after nine years, while another act makes its first visit in 13 years.

Guns N' Roses debut at No. 31 on Mainstream Rock Songs (dated May 12) with "Shadow of Your Love," released May 4 to promote the upcoming reissue of the band's debut studio album, 1987's Appetite for Destruction. The song, written by frontman Axl Rose and childhood friend Paul Tobias before Guns N' Roses even came to be, earned 1.1 million audience impressions in three days of airplay across all rock radio formats in the U.S. in the week ending May 7, according to Nielsen Music.

"Shadow" is GN'R's first track to crack Mainstream Rock Songs in nearly a decade and its 22nd entry overall. The group, which boasts eight top 10s, had last charted with "Better," which hit No. 18 in January 2009.

"Shadow" is the band's first radio single featuring its original lineup of Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler since "Patience," which peaked at No. 7 in March 1989. It's the first with Slash, Stradlin and McKagan since "Sympathy for the Devil" (No. 10, 1994).

The reissue of Appetite is due June 29 and features 73 songs among four discs, plus a "Locked N' Loaded" edition that also includes the release on vinyl and digital formats, among other perks.

-----

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8455677/guns-n-roses-mainstream-rock-songs-chart

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »

One veteran of Billboard's Mainstream Rock Songs airplay chart makes a grand return after nine years, while another act makes its first visit in 13 years.

Guns N' Roses debut at No. 31 on Mainstream Rock Songs (dated May 12) with "Shadow of Your Love," released May 4 to promote the upcoming reissue of the band's debut studio album, 1987's Appetite for Destruction. The song, written by frontman Axl Rose and childhood friend Paul Tobias before Guns N' Roses even came to be, earned 1.1 million audience impressions in three days of airplay across all rock radio formats in the U.S. in the week ending May 7, according to Nielsen Music.

"Shadow" is GN'R's first track to crack Mainstream Rock Songs in nearly a decade and its 22nd entry overall. The group, which boasts eight top 10s, had last charted with "Better," which hit No. 18 in January 2009.

"Shadow" is the band's first radio single featuring its original lineup of Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler since "Patience," which peaked at No. 7 in March 1989. It's the first with Slash, Stradlin and McKagan since "Sympathy for the Devil" (No. 10, 1994).

The reissue of Appetite is due June 29 and features 73 songs among four discs, plus a "Locked N' Loaded" edition that also includes the release on vinyl and digital formats, among other perks.

-----

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8455677/guns-n-roses-mainstream-rock-songs-chart

/jarmo

Assuming billboard is correct, that puts to bed suggestiona that parts of this song have been recorded...

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 06:47:31 AM »

If you look at the album on iTunes, the version that was released as a single is listed as Shadow Of Your Love. There's another one that's listed as Shadow Of Your Love (1986 Sound City Session), which is still unavailable to listen to since it's not out yet.

I guess people get confused because this version was previously unreleased, it sounds great and the title doesn't specify that it's from a specific era (Mike Clink session in 1986)....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 07:13:39 AM »

If you look at the album on iTunes, the version that was released as a single is listed as Shadow Of Your Love. There's another one that's listed as Shadow Of Your Love (1986 Sound City Session), which is still unavailable to listen to since it's not out yet.

I guess people get confused because this version was previously unreleased, it sounds great and the title doesn't specify that it's from a specific era (Mike Clink session in 1986)....

/jarmo

This People INSANE  hihi

Song Is June 29

love

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »

-----

/jarmo

Assuming billboard is correct, that puts to bed suggestiona that parts of this song have been recorded...
Why? People are talking about Slash rerecording some lead guitars. Some otheres are talking about Axl and Duff adding overdubs. Nothing in this article suggests anything different.

SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 09:25:48 PM »

The more I listen to this song, the better it gets. It grows. And grows. And grows. The song was instantly good, but then it keeps growing. Usually "growers" don't impress at first listen. They seem "meh" at first listen and then grow. However, SOYL seemed pretty damn awesome at first listen, but with each listen it seems to get better and better. It went from "pretty damn great" to a "hard rock masterpiece"?? The more I hear the opening riff and drums and those harmonies during the chorus, it's just starting to sound and feel like a masterpiece and instant classic. This could easily become a "radio staple" of mainstream active rock radio.
 I think this tune has some legs and is going to stick around awhile; could make top 5. In fact, the more I hear it on the radio, the song has all of the "traits" that made GNR great:
1. Hard and heavy, yet groove
2. lose, yet tight
3. catchy, melodic even with a strong "pop sensibility": GNR's gift was that they essentially made really hard and rocking "pop songs" They had big, larger than life swooping choruses and catchy melodies while never losing their "edge"
4. Axl's raspy "classic" vocals

However, we can't forget that it was GNR's balladry and soft side that was their real claim to fame and bread and butter. Historically speaking, GNR never did as well commercially with their harder material. It was their softer stuff that performed best on the charts- SCOM, NR, DC, Patience,
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:28:43 PM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »

I have to be honest though: that Slash solo sounds "way too now"....its vibe reminded me of the Contraband stuff. Not sure if Slash was already able to play like this in 86....

Because it's brand new! They added those guitar fills...
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »

Finally got around to listening to this new version. As far as my ears are concerned this is a new recording. Axls vocals are definitely not mid-80s. They?re excellent but more reminiscent of what he showed on the NITL and AC/DC tours. The recording and mixing sound completely new. Guitar sounds like mature Slash. The guy who counts out the start of the song is not Steven, although I suppose it could be Rob Gardner or one of those early drummers. But I?ve listened to the b-side version and several live versions and this really doesn?t sound like any of them. Pretty cool, I think this is the first new studio recording since CD.

I've seen enough.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »

I have no knowledge, but the song sounds like its from 1986. No overdubs done after 1987 atleast.

Thats my take on it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:49:37 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »

yeah, mine too. a mix of differents takes from 86 and a good remastering.

well, of course it sounds good, it's from GNR golden era.

on the other side, I'm not sure what it says about the current status and projetcs of the current band. if any.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »

Finally got around to listening to this new version. As far as my ears are concerned this is a new recording. Axls vocals are definitely not mid-80s. They?re excellent but more reminiscent of what he showed on the NITL and AC/DC tours. The recording and mixing sound completely new. Guitar sounds like mature Slash. The guy who counts out the start of the song is not Steven, although I suppose it could be Rob Gardner or one of those early drummers. But I?ve listened to the b-side version and several live versions and this really doesn?t sound like any of them. Pretty cool, I think this is the first new studio recording since CD.

If this was the case though it would be a major selling point, and would have accompanied all press around it.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »

Vocals didnt sound  80's Axl to me either. But 2018 Axl ? If it is, then damn he still can sing like a God.  Shocked

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 03:45:04 PM »

Vocals didnt sound  80's Axl to me either. But 2018 Axl ? If it is, then damn he still can sing like a God.  Shocked

Weird that no one has said anything about this track, Fernando ? Anyone?

Btw the guy talking at the beginning sounds like Duff.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »

I played it on repeat for over an hour the day it was released, still not tired of it, listening to it every day.
jbuch
Headliner

Detroit: 2002, 2006, and now 2016

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »

Do you think they have other unreleased recordings that sound as good as this?  If so, I sure hope it sees the light of day.
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »

The guy at the beginning sounds like Duff for me too.
Remember this version is from another session than the other versions released of the song. And just that day Axl sounded like this. He still sound different from one day to another.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 01:17:50 PM »

/jarmo

Ok, but I am still confused (apologies for my ignorance).  So does the version of SOYL that was released contain any "new" recordings (vocals, guitars, etc.) or is it all from the 80's?  It sounds like it's all from the 80's.

Really like the song, btw.  Just heard it (again) on Octane on Sirius.  Glad it's getting some airplay.  Would be cool to hear them play it live on their upcoming tour.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »

/jarmo

Ok, but I am still confused (apologies for my ignorance).  So does the version of SOYL that was released contain any "new" recordings (vocals, guitars, etc.) or is it all from the 80's?  It sounds like it's all from the 80's.

Really like the song, btw.  Just heard it (again) on Octane on Sirius.  Glad it's getting some airplay.  Would be cool to hear them play it live on their upcoming tour.

That's the debate. Some think it's been touched up.

To me it sounds like it's from 1986 as well, just a different version than what we've heard before.

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 02:22:21 PM »

Just listened to a new interview with Adler, and thought I'd transcribe this. He seems fairly certain it ISN'T him drumming in the recording, which is interesting.

"I've heard a version of it and I'm telling you, that's not me. That's not me. I don't know what they did.....I don't know what the heck they did with it. I heard the drums and I was going 'that's definitely not me'. I know how I play and sound and it's not me.....I don't know who the hell it is."

https://www.facebook.com/AppetiteForGNfnR/videos/1896572263739938/?t=0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: