Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shadow Of Your Love - reactions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadow Of Your Love - reactions  (Read 28605 times)
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »

Just listened to a new interview with Adler, and thought I'd transcribe this. He seems fairly certain it ISN'T him drumming in the recording, which is interesting.

"I've heard a version of it and I'm telling you, that's not me. That's not me. I don't know what they did.....I don't know what the heck they did with it. I heard the drums and I was going 'that's definitely not me'. I know how I play and sound and it's not me.....I don't know who the hell it is."

https://www.facebook.com/AppetiteForGNfnR/videos/1896572263739938/?t=0
Maybe someone should add Shadow of Your Love to his list of things hes done but he cant remember.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »

Im telling you guys, there?s nothing in that recording that sounds 32 years old. Honestly I pretty much memorized the LALD b-side version. I?ve listened to it hundreds of times since it in whatever, 1997 or so. I?ve heard some live versions. This one is different. Axls voice sounds great but it?s not how he sang in 86. His phrasing on this version is more controlled. Some of the vocal effects are slightly forced. The tempo is a bit slower, the playing is more precise. And I don?t think that?s Duff counting into the song, he?s got a slight lisp. Plus the drummer usually counts in.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:41:16 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 06:18:45 AM »

Even if re-recorded it kicks ass

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »

Im telling you guys, there?s nothing in that recording that sounds 32 years old. Honestly I pretty much memorized the LALD b-side version. I?ve listened to it hundreds of times since it in whatever, 1997 or so. I?ve heard some live versions. This one is different. Axls voice sounds great but it?s not how he sang in 86. His phrasing on this version is more controlled. Some of the vocal effects are slightly forced. The tempo is a bit slower, the playing is more precise. And I don?t think that?s Duff counting into the song, he?s got a slight lisp. Plus the drummer usually counts in.

Which GNR song does "the drummer" usually counts in? Sounds like Duff to me on Patience, Used to Love Her and on  this SOYL- version.

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »

Just listened to a new interview with Adler, and thought I'd transcribe this. He seems fairly certain it ISN'T him drumming in the recording, which is interesting.

"I've heard a version of it and I'm telling you, that's not me. That's not me. I don't know what they did.....I don't know what the heck they did with it. I heard the drums and I was going 'that's definitely not me'. I know how I play and sound and it's not me.....I don't know who the hell it is."

https://www.facebook.com/AppetiteForGNfnR/videos/1896572263739938/?t=0
Maybe someone should add Shadow of Your Love to his list of things hes done but he cant remember.

Probably

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »

There are no new parts in the song... All tracks comes from the 80s.. Slash's solo is CLEARLY old (i can hear licks he dosn't use anymore) and Axl's voice  is far from what it is now, the texture is very different. Probably they have just put togheter the better parts of the different takes they already had,  but that's it. It all sounds "fresh" because they haven't used (or they have removed) all the stuff they would have used in the 80's, like heavy reverb or not putting the lead voice in the foregorund like it is now.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »

Yeah.

They recorded the song with Mike Clink, but since it was never released, maybe it wasn't properly mixed and/or mastered until now.

Maybe that's why it sounds so amazing? Compared to if it had been released in the 1980s, it might have a different sound....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »

I lean more towards it being a cleaned up old track, but the first few times I heard it I was convinced it wasn't Adler drumming - and now he doesn't think so either, I'm not sure what I think!

I would find it strange that they would bother re-recording bits of this track really, as there seems to be no point in that, if it existed in decent quality already.

There are undoubtedly things they can do to tracks now to make them sound 'new', so perhaps it's just been altered quite significantly in the studio, without actual re-recording of parts?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »

Which GNR song does "the drummer" usually counts in? Sounds like Duff to me on Patience, Used to Love Her and on  this SOYL- version.

Most footage I've seen of bands in general are counted in by the drummer, which makes sense as the timekeeper for the song. But yeah, Duff has counted in on those songs you mention. I agree and that's a good point. And we have his "to the bar" thing at the end of You Aint the First. So I could easily be wrong about all of this, and especially that part, but I still think the guy doesn't sound like Duff to me, even if it actually is Duff. Maybe he's using a deeper voice or something. In terms of the vocals, I'm thinking about how amazingly good Axl sounded in NITL shows for certain parts of songs, for example the shrieking chorus in latter third of ISO. And even more than NITL, he was knocking it out of the park in the early AC/DC shows, sounding so much like his mid-80s voice. I honestly couldn't believe my ears. But even with the force and tone he was displaying then, he sounded much more in control than what I've heard from the mid-80s. And some of the effects, like his growling vibrato, had a different feel than way back when. And that's what I'm detecting in this new recording. I mean, maybe it's an old recording. Maybe they brought Clink back for a new recording. In any case the band shows no sign of revealing much about it, so we're left to speculate. All in all, a great treat for longtime fans of that magical period from about 86-88.

I've seen enough.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »

Bottom line, for me.

I think it sounds awesome.  Even if not 100% organic, it sounds like "classic Guns N' Roses", the band I became a diehard fan of.

And even if it's touched up...who cares, if it sounds good.  When the Stones released their deluxe version of 'Exile On Main Street', those are new vocals from Mick on the supposed old tracks.  He just sung them in the style he used from that era, best he could.  And they sound great.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »

Not sure if anyone is debating the song itself when talking about the supposed re-recording. It's just fun to discuss.

My first reaction when I heard the snippet of the song in the AFD unboxing video was: that lead guitar sounds too fresh. Not just Slash's playing style, but his tone too. When I heard the full track, had the same feeling throughout the whole song.

I guess they could re-amp the master track much like Axl and Caram did in Chinese Democracy. But then again, the original recording wasn't made like that, he recorded straight to the tape with all the effects back then. They could add a reverb or delay in the mix, but it wouldn't make the guitar sounding that different IMO.

Not sure about the drums and vocals. But all I'm saying is that this is the original 1986 recording with *SOME* recent overdubs. Maybe the original mix wasn't polished enough to release as it was and they wanted to add some extra stuff?

Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:34 PM »

Bottom line, for me.

I think it sounds awesome.  Even if not 100% organic, it sounds like "classic Guns N' Roses", the band I became a diehard fan of.

And even if it's touched up...who cares, if it sounds good.  When the Stones released their deluxe version of 'Exile On Main Street', those are new vocals from Mick on the supposed old tracks.  He just sung them in the style he used from that era, best he could.  And they sound great.

I?d co-sign this. I love the track, and I?m possibly more excited if it?s a new recording. But there?s no doubt this is yet another unexpected treat, coming after the reunion and everything.

I've seen enough.
siraddam
Headliner

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 03:39:22 AM »

https://www.nova.ie/latest_news/guns-n-roses-make-return-charts-almost-decade-new-single-113276
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »

I think its probably not a new recording of the vocals. If it was, why keep quiet about it? Better not to say anything and let fans wonder and give the impression that its all new.

Still though.. those vocals sound ODDLY ODD  Grin Like maybe its not from 1986, but maybe he tried rerecording in 1991 for the Illusions...?

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »

To be honest, I hope that they are new vocals.  Totally new vocals.

It would mean he could still sound like that, albeit in the context of a controlled studio setting and some soundboard magic.

Which...is pretty much how I viewed his work on 'Angel Down'.  That sounds like classic Axl.  Even if he wasn't able to pull that off even 2 years later, live.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »

To be honest, I hope that they are new vocals.  Totally new vocals.

It would mean he could still sound like that, albeit in the context of a controlled studio setting and some soundboard magic.

Which...is pretty much how I viewed his work on 'Angel Down'.  That sounds like classic Axl.  Even if he wasn't able to pull that off even 2 years later, live.

Angel Down...and here I thought I was the only one who bought that album.  I was surprised that Back in the Saddle didn't get more airplay.  It seems that everyone else who did a cover (which is a lot of bands) got way more publicity. 

Anyway, SOYL is great, regardless of when the vocals and parts were recorded.  I got to think if it was done recently, we would've been told that because it makes GnR that much more relevant.  Really hope they play it live this summer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:46:30 PM by Ginger King » Logged
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »

wow so unexpected. good idea though!

angel down... pictures in the booklet of them in the studio were very cool.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

It's climbing fast! It is the greatest gainer this week! It's climbing faster than Foo FIghter's new single "The Line," which was last week's biggest gainer.

It's up to 16 on Billboard mainstream rock tracks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:40:05 PM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2018, 06:36:58 PM »

That's cool! Thanks for posting. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

It's climbing fast! It is the greatest gainer this week! It's climbing faster than Foo FIghter's new single "The Line," which was last week's biggest gainer.

It's up to 16 on Billboard mainstream rock tracks.

Power !!

beer

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: