Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  'It's been a long time in the making': GN'R Locked N' Loaded box set unwrapped
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'It's been a long time in the making': GN'R Locked N' Loaded box set unwrapped  (Read 7520 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: June 08, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »

'It's been a long time in the making': GN'R Locked N' Loaded box set unwrapped

Download Festival headliners Guns N'Roses have gone above and beyond with the imminent reissue of their 1987 classic debut album Appetite For Destruction.

Available in five formats - CD, 2CD deluxe edition, 2LP 180-gram audiophile vinyl edition, super deluxe edition and Locked N’Loaded Edition vinyl box set - the collection drops on June 29.

Appetite For Destruction (Geffen) is one of the biggest-selling albums of all-time, moving more than 30 million copies worldwide. In the UK, it has racked up post-1994 sales of 1,216,017, according to the Official Charts Company.

Its Locked N'Loaded edition includes five discs, seven LPs and seven 7”s, along with a myriad of collectables and unreleased tracks from the Appetite recording sessions. Retailing at £849.99, it is limited to 10,000 copies globally.

Andrew Daw, SVP, global marketing, Universal Strategic Marketing, said the reunion of original members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan in 2016 was a key part of the process.

“It opened up the conversation to what we could do on the catalogue," he said. "We’d always wanted to do something special with Appetite For Destruction, it is one of those generation-defining records that we always felt needed special attention from a market perspective. It was an exciting moment for us when we found how receptive the GNR camp was to the idea.”

Here, Daw and Richard Hinckley, co-MD of Universal Music Catalogue give Music Week the inside track on what happened next...

How did the Locked N'Loaded project come together?

Andrew Daw:
“In a word, ‘Fernando’. It started with a call on November 19, 2015 with Steve Berman at IGA, who has a longstanding relationship with the band and had been talking with Fernando Lebeis from [GNR Management] Team Brazil. Fernando let us know the Coachella dates were going to happen and asked us to explore what we could do with the catalogue.

"Over the years, fans and collectors talked about recordings that were known about but never released. We organised a list of the content and music and a small internal group including Bruce Resnikoff [president/CEO, UMe], Andrew Kronfeld, [EVP marketing, UMG]; Jeff Fura [senior director A&R, UME]; and other key members of UME/IGA concentrated on Appetite For Destruction specifically and we launched it from there.

“We got together with Fernando, who has been absolutely fantastic to work with on the project, and we started on the music content. Jeff Fura started pulling tapes from the vaults and we would regularly find gems. As we sourced the resources, we found all the original analogue tapes for every single piece of music. We have had almost daily contact since with Fernando, band members and wider management involved with GNR across the past two years.

“It’s been a long time in the making, has been very confidential for long periods and a huge task to keep an exciting secret for almost three years. From the start, we wanted to give the GN’R world the best project we could. It sounds so incredible, people are going to be blown away from the remaster all the way to the 5.1 mix, to the rare and unreleased material. And when you actually see the box, your jaw will drops, it’s a custom art piece.”

What was the marketing strategy?

Richard Hinckley:
“When you have an album that means so much to so many people, it’s often for different reasons. Accordingly, we’re developing strategies that engage those different audiences in ways that are distinct to each. Whether we’re speaking to a rock fan from the '80s for whom the band and this album were incendiary when it was first released, where the deep archive video and music is key, or it’s a teenager who owns a T-shirt because the imagery is so captivating, and we can introduce them to listening to tracks beyond those they’re familiar with. Our marketing runs across social, video, experiential and promotional channels, as well as a high-profile ad campaign.”

How did you settle on five separate versions?

AD:
“Once we reviewed the vault tapes we started finding some really unique material like original flyers, tickets, unseen photos. Added to this, Fernando began to open up some of Axl’s personal archives and we had some uber fans who had a lot of collectables that we were able to incorporate. If you look at all of our flagship catalogue projects, we would usually put together a super deluxe, deluxe, LP and remaster. In relation to Locked N’ Loaded [Edition] we realised quickly we had something very special with additional material that wasn’t just music based, music we could add to additional formats we couldn’t have in the other configurations.

"We then looked at a variety of format options for Locked & Loaded but it became very much about consciously not creating something really special, the all bells and whistles set. You can’t put something this immersive in a card box. We then made the decision to make this particular format available directly to fans in order for us to have this available at the best competitive price for the fans. Essentially, we wanted to create something really special that the band are happy with and the fans would be excited about. Judging by the early reaction that’s certainly the case across the world.”

What is Appetite For Destruction’s legacy?

RH:
“Aside from the fact it changed the course of my life when I bought it in 1987 its impact was, and continues to be huge. They influenced so many artists that followed, but they also set the bar for quality – every track is outstanding.”

Guns N'Roses headline Download 2018 tomorrow night. Click here to read the inside story on their record-breaking Not In This Lifetime... reunion tour.

http://www.musicweek.com/live/read/it-s-been-a-long-time-in-the-making-guns-n-roses-locked-n-loaded-box-set-unwrapped/072756

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:36:40 PM »

Nice interview, thanks for posting  beer
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »

AD:
“Once we reviewed the vault tapes we started finding some really unique material like original flyers, tickets, unseen photos. Added to this, Fernando began to open up some of Axl’s personal archives and we had some uber fans who had a lot of collectables that we were able to incorporate.

Shocked Shocked ok beer

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:03:20 AM »

AD:
“Once we reviewed the vault tapes we started finding some really unique material like original flyers, tickets, unseen photos. Added to this, Fernando began to open up some of Axl’s personal archives and we had some uber fans who had a lot of collectables that we were able to incorporate.

Shocked Shocked ok beer

Haha! Nice!

Would love to own this so much- just in case anyone rich, or with a spare copy is reading!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:56:34 AM »

Essentially, we wanted to create something really special that the band are happy with and the fans would be excited about. Judging by the early reaction that’s certainly the case across the world.”

Oh really ?  Roll Eyes

Reactions among hardcore fans are negative across the board.

First off, they had ONE chance to release the complete AFD-related sessions, and they dropped the ball in a massive way :

- No Mystic session : 6 missing tracks
- No Pasha session: 13 missing tracks
- Incomplete Sound City session: 1 missing track

Second, the general consensus is that the prices are RIDICULOUS, especially that toy box, and it's filled with crap instead of music ...

Finally, NO live audio/video whatsoever.

Let's all say thank you to Fernando !  Grin

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »

Yes, but the album version is only 14 dollars and the double CD version is 20 dollars... But with streaming sites, they need to add other stuff for a reason for fans to buy it. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. GnR have never been a one size fits all band anyway.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

Oh really ?  Roll Eyes

Reactions among the voices in my head  are negative across the board.

First off, they had ONE chance to release the complete AFD-related sessions, and they dropped the ball in a massive way :

Second, the general consensus is that the prices are RIDICULOUS, especially that toy box, and it's filled with crap instead of music ...

Fixed that bit for you, above.

When the rumor came out of the $999 version, and it looked like that might be it, people were rightly skeptical.

When all the versions dropped, and there was a price point for pretty much everyone, with a package and format they wanted, the worrying pretty much stopped.

Digital, just the CD, deluxe, super deluxe, and the locked and loaded version...there is a price point from $15 to $999 to hit pretty much everyone's wheelhouse.  Ditto in terms of content.  The ONE (valid) point I've heard is there is no "all vinyl" option.  Fair enough.

Other than that, I've heard, seen posted on the boards, and read in various articles, pretty universal support for this product. 

Except from the same voices who bitch about EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. THING.

And, you know, they're just utterly without credibility, so.....

ok
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:59:12 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »

Essentially, we wanted to create something really special that the band are happy with and the fans would be excited about. Judging by the early reaction that’s certainly the case across the world.”

Oh really ?  Roll Eyes

Reactions among hardcore fans are negative across the board.

You can listen to everything on Spotify and other streaming services. So, there's no price issue AT ALL. Yeah, the box is expensive. That's why it's called a collector's item.

And also, they did not drop the ball because they didn't include some obscure sessions or leave out live performances. Idgaf about live. I think it's a very good collection that speaks to a very broad audience. And with that comes the issue of not being able to please EVERYONE. If you don't like it, don't buy it/listen to it etc.

I for one am very happy that Fernando put so much effort in this and I am glad he's very dedicated to get the best for us fans out. It is WAY more than I ever expected a AFD remastering would bring. All you bring is unnecessary disrespect to his efforts.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »

Fernando has the handiest job in Rock history the band don't put out any musical product in over a decade then decides to flog a 30 year old album in various formats with rarities etc  that millions already have ,for a band that raced out of the blocks with 3 original albums in quick succession they really need to move on from AFD the tour is getting boring now the same songs nothing fresh or new and doing 10 covers is crazy ,surely Axl ,Slash and Duff could knock out an album in a few months and tour off the back of it instead of this infinite nostalgic trip .I get having Slash and Duff back on board for a reunion they were gonna tour the old classics but this year I don't see the logic behind it the fans have seen it now they should  shake it up a bit and take a few risks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:46:34 PM by Executioner » Logged
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:59:22 AM »

Fernando has the handiest job in Rock history the band don't put out any musical product in over a decade then decides to flog a 30 year old album in various formats with rarities etc  that millions already have ,for a band that raced out of the blocks with 3 original albums in quick succession they really need to move on from AFD the tour is getting boring now the same songs nothing fresh or new and doing 10 covers is crazy ,surely Axl ,Slash and Duff could knock out an album in a few months and tour off the back of it instead of this infinite nostalgic trip .I get having Slash and Duff back on board for a reunion they were gonna tour the old classics but this year I don't see the logic behind it the fans have seen it now they should  shake it up a bit and take a few risks.

Well, you just made clear why you don't manage one of the world's biggest rock bands...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »

Granted, it's a year late, but:

30th. Anniversary. Of. The. Biggest. Selling. Album. In. Rock. History.

That's why you do it.

I'm SUPER psyched to hear all this stuff in a format that's not some grainy, unmixed, mess.

The mix of both SOYL and the recently released version of WTTJ are both AWESOME.  Yes, we've heard the material before, but not like this.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted them to do LAST year (only missing a new track being included as a bonus)....and I'm not going to begrudge them being a year late. Wink

I think we'd all like to see this band take a swing at new music.  But I'm not going to let that desire preclude wanting/enjoying OTHER stuff (killer live shows, this AFD re-release, DVDs, etc) they decide to do in the mean time. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:55:32 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »

Like AdZ says....this is why you don't manage one of the biggest rock bands of the universe. See, what they did very smartly is warm up and make all audiences very receptive again to Guns N Roses with this 'nostalgic trip'. There's such a positive vibe around GnR now, that the new music they will be releasing in the future will be received a lot better than if they had released it last year. I'm not saying it's genius what they're doing, but it's smart. They're playing CD songs, hell even VR songs. They've completely merged again and audiences love it. It sucks for us hardcore fans to have to wait so long, but it makes a lot of sense from a business and marketing perspective.

This way GnR is a household name again, and them performing consistently with the most important members makes GnR one of the biggest bands again. If they will release new music in the future it will not fall flat or not have an audience. These 'nostalgia trips' definitely pave the way for successful future releases.

That being said: I'd love to hear new GnR music just as much as you do.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:22 AM »

Nice interview!

I really hope they sent the orders quick. I dont wanna wait 2 months to get my stuff in Chile please!!!!!!! Please!!!

axlvai
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »

If they will release new music in the future it will not fall flat or not have an audience.
If.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »

Though isn't the flipside to that argument that they are now in year 3 of a wildly successful stadium world tour without doing a fucking thing?

Overall, I agree with you.  But just talking in terms of money, it's hard to fault their approach right now.  If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:24:47 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 07:14:02 AM »

Just a minor thing:

Got an email from amazon yesterday.  Looks like the versions they have have been upgraded to release date delivery for prime members.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »

Acoustic "Move to the City" released!!!!

Together again,
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »

Sounds amazing
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »

Re-Union time, baby!!
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »

Amazing!

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: