Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227774 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [Updates] June 18th, 2018 Paris, France
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Updates] June 18th, 2018 Paris, France  (Read 7517 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: June 18, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »

[Updates] June 18th, 2018 Paris, France @ Brétigny-sur-Orge (Download Festival)

Guns N' Roses @gunsnroses
🇫🇷PARIS🇫🇷
#GnFnR #NotInThisLifetime Tour 2018

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:42:46 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Michael
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »

https://twitter.com/gnrfrance/status/1008771160073560064
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »

TANK FIRING!!!

https://www.facebook.com/200740619966934/videos/2205347799506196/

https://www.facebook.com/662732261/videos/10156639473212262/

https://www.facebook.com/METALHEADRomania/videos/10160473551755032/

https://www.facebook.com/binbin.yeah/videos/1813848285328551/

https://www.facebook.com/desarwen/videos/1849526105104741/

https://www.facebook.com/matthieu.dacier/videos/1257094977760005/

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:46:34 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »

SORRY!!!

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Better
Estranged
Live And Let Die
Slither
Rocket Queen
Shadow of Your Love
You Could Be Mine
Duff - You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory/New Rose
This I Love
Civil War
Coma
Band Intros
Slash - (doodles)/Johnny B. Goode/The Godfather
Sweet Child O' Mine
Wichita Lineman (lost the stream at this point but I'm pretty sure it was played)
Used To Love Her
Yesterdays
Richard N' Slash - Wish You Were Here
Axl - Layla/November Rain
Black Hole Sun
Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Nightrain

Encore:
Sorry
Don't Cry
The Seeker
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONG FOR DIZZY
Paradise City

THANKS to RIDE THE SKY for streaming the show for us on Facebook!!!  beer

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:42:41 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

Michael
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »

That was a great show and stream :-D
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »

Looks like a long show and great setlist.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 02:02:59 AM »

I love Sorry, and it's nice that Axl got the tempo mostly right for once, but as usual, Slash's solo is totally improvised and directionless.

I was hoping he would only improve over the course of the tour, like during UYI, but it doesn't seem to be the case and now I'm worried any new material would reflect that attitude which became evident in him around 2014. World on Fire was basically a half-written album. He had some great ideas but they were not considered enough to be fully realized songs. And all of his solos were basically first-take improvisations according to him. Sorry for the digression, but this video from 2006 of him apparently drunk at a Les Paul tribute really reminded me how much more fluid and melodic even his improvising was back then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDF8FvXlhg

Where did that groove go? He goes off-key a few times, but I'll take this feeling over a sterile but technically good solo like on Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:06:11 AM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:23:58 AM »

I love Sorry, and it's nice that Axl got the tempo mostly right for once, but as usual, Slash's solo is totally improvised and directionless.

I was hoping he would only improve over the course of the tour, like during UYI, but it doesn't seem to be the case and now I'm worried any new material would reflect that attitude which became evident in him around 2014. World on Fire was basically a half-written album. He had some great ideas but they were not considered enough to be fully realized songs. And all of his solos were basically first-take improvisations according to him. Sorry for the digression, but this video from 2006 of him apparently drunk at a Les Paul tribute really reminded me how much more fluid and melodic even his improvising was back then:

Where did that groove go? He goes off-key a few times, but I'll take this feeling over a sterile but technically good solo like on Sorry.
i think lukather ruined him. I ve always seen slash as a new gary moore, but i think that vibe has gone
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:28:08 AM by ITARocker » Logged
I_Am_Goonce
Opening Act

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:23:47 AM »

Holy shit guys! Did you know Slash and Duff are back in Guns N' Roses? For real! You remember Guns N' Roses? They were huge in the early nineties. Like, Michael Jackson huge! Remember their singer? Well, he still wears a bandana. He keeps his shirt on nowadays, thankfully. But they still sing all those cool songs we liked as kids, as well as a bunch of other classic rock songs. Plus a bunch of stuff no one knows, but they sound cool! Anyway, I just saw them last night and it was good. A little long, because all the musicians like to play a lot of notes that don't amount to a song (not that I've heard on the radio at least) but still, it was just like 1992.

This is what I imagine casuals would say. I'm not a casual. I'm a fan and this was my third show since the core triumvirate reunited for the Not In This Lifetime Tour. Remember how hard it was to be a GN'R fan for about a quarter of a century? Very little music, an unrecognisable band made up of (sometimes literally) faceless members, crappy performances, shit-slinging between ex-members, the Hall of Fame debacle, and generally Axl just being a major dick. So I was pretty stoked when they reunited two years ago. I even went to see them in California because I was convinced the whole thing would implode within a year.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2016/08/guns-n-roses-qualcomm-stadium-san-diego.html

Well Axl has proved me wrong, and everyone else too. His transformation from whiny little bitch, endangering crowds, shitting on his fans and bandmates to the professional we have today is staggering. He even seems... pleasant. Always joking, interacting with the crowd and his bandmates and being genuinely affable and nice... He seems at peace. Did they find the right balance of meds? It seems that ever since he saved AC/DC, the guy can do no wrong and he has at least partially restored the public's good will that he spent three decades pissing away.

This is their second Paris show in a year since the "reunion". Last year was at the Stade de France and they tore up the place.

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-stade-de-france-st-denis.html

This year they came back as part of the Download Festival, which is owned by Live Nation. Rumor is they got paid 5 million for each Download appearance (Donington and Paris). That would go a long way to help bury old grudges.

Whatever the motivations, the fact is they don't fuck around: they play for three and a half hours. I've heard people complain that it's too much, it loses momentum, too many covers, blah blah... I whole-heartedly disagree. The setlist is a fan's dream and the show is very well-paced. They could lose the cover of "Wichita Lineman" which sounds pretty goofy, but apart from that everything just works.

That said, Axl's voice can be problematic. He was coughing up phlegm all night and struggled on some screams. However his commitment never wavered. He always goes deep into those songs and delivers them like he means them because he does. Even Velvet Revolver's "Slither" which I guess he plays as a quid-pro-quo for making Slash play "Sorry" and its venomous lyrics obviously geared towards him...

I guess we could bitch and moan that save for a couple of rotating songs, the show doesn't change much. Yes, GN'R are no longer the dangerous, unpredictable junkies they were 30 years ago. Axl is pushing sixty. Their music has evolved, and they are now a classic rock band in the same league as the Stones or U2. And they are all the better for it. Honestly, for a fan like me, hearing Slash's leads around Axl's vocals is just a treat that I never thought possible until a few years ago.

I supported the band and all of its offshoots during that time. I bought and loved Chinese Democracy. Still do. I saw Scab N' Poses three times and had a great time. I saw Slash with Myles Kennedy three times, and even Duff's Loaded. All were great in they own way. But having them back together is just awesome. Sure, it's nostalgia. And most likely a cash grab. And it's been while since a rock band has been truly important in my life. I'm not fourteen anymore and I no longer obsess over things like that. I recently stopped buying records, I don't read the magazines, I don't really follow much of who does what. I haven't seen the last Star Wars movie, which before I found my first gray hair would've been unthinkable.

But last night for almost four hours I sang along with every word, played air guitar during every solo and headbanged like I was a teenager again. And I looked around at the crowd and fifty thousand people did the same. Old guys in denim jackets from their high school days, complete with band logos. Young kids who were experiencing their first concert. To them, GN'R is like what the Stones were to us as kids: the old guard. Legends. And last night they lived up to their title.

A shitload of shitty pics and a shitty video here:

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2018/06/guns-n-roses-download-paris-june-18th.html

Setlist:

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Better
Estranged
Live and Let Die
Slither
Rocket Queen
Shadow of Your Love
You Could Be Mine
You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory/New Rose
This I Love
Civil War
Coma
Slash Guitar Solo (Johnny B. Goode/Godfather Theme)
Sweet Child O' Mine
Wichita Lineman
Used to Love Her
Yesterdays
Slash and Richard Fortus Duet (Wish You Were Here)
Layla Outro/November Rain
Black Hole Sun
Only Women Bleed Intro/Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain
Sorry
Don't Cry
The Seeker
Paradise City
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »

I guess we could bitch and moan that save for a couple of rotating songs, the show doesn't change much. Yes, GN'R are no longer the dangerous, unpredictable junkies they were 30 years ago. Axl is pushing sixty. Their music has evolved, and they are now a classic rock band in the same league as the Stones or U2. And they are all the better for it. Honestly, for a fan like me, hearing Slash's leads around Axl's vocals is just a treat that I never thought possible until a few years ago.

Could not agree with this more.

Know what they are now?  A dependable, competent, (and for the first time, literally ever) professional touring operation.

No more bullshit.  And everyone is better off for it.  Promoters, the band itself, but most importantly...we fans.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »

I felt Slash's solo on SORRY was great  Grin But I think he needs to work on it a little more. Like he discovered a new melody line and vibe that fits.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

Could not agree with this more.

Know what they are now?  A dependable, competent, (and for the first time, literally ever) professional touring operation.

No more bullshit.  And everyone is better off for it.  Promoters, the band itself, but most importantly...we fans.

And also . . .  their ultimate legacy in the pantheon of rock n roll! Remember, their wild and crazy "bad boy" and "most dangerous band in the world" legacy isn't going anywhere. That image has been immortalized. They needed to demonstrate within their ultimate legacy that they can be a dependable, well-oiled rock n roll touring machine in the vein of The Rolling Stones and AC/DC, etc. They have unequivocally accomplished this feat (well on their way to being the third highest grossing tour of all time!!)

This tour has accomplished the following:
1. Salvaged their ultimate legacy, proving they belong in the stratosphere of rock n roll royalty
2. Linked the "two eras" of the band into a cohesive narrative
2. Proven they can be a "rock n roll institution"- an iconic brand (e.g. Marshall, Budweiser, Gibson Guitars, AC/DC , Harley Davidson, etc.)
3. In the process of expanding their catalogue (e.g. SOYL, Slither, Black Hole Sun, The Seeker)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »

And also . . .  their ultimate legacy in the pantheon of rock n roll! Remember, their wild and crazy "bad boy" and "most dangerous band in the world" legacy isn't going anywhere. That image has been immortalized. They needed to demonstrate within their ultimate legacy that they can be a dependable, well-oiled rock n roll touring machine in the vein of The Rolling Stones and AC/DC, etc. They have unequivocally accomplished this feat (well on their way to being the third highest grossing tour of all time!!)

This tour has accomplished the following:
1. Salvaged their ultimate legacy, proving they belong in the stratosphere of rock n roll royalty
2. Linked the "two eras" of the band into a cohesive narrative
2. Proven they can be a "rock n roll institution"- an iconic brand (e.g. Marshall, Budweiser, Gibson Guitars, AC/DC , Harley Davidson, etc.)
3. In the process of expanding their catalogue (e.g. SOYL, Slither, Black Hole Sun, The Seeker)

Excellent points, all around.  Totally right there with you on all of them.

Face it, GNR had become a joke in the eyes of the many.  I know, I know, "that shouldn't matter".  But, face it, it did.  We can all read.  We all have friends.  We know what the perception of GNR was, for almost 20 years : those guys sure fucked it all up.

It felt cool going to see 2 shows on this tour with all the good vibes.  It just did.  This tour has turned things around from "it's a shame what happened to that guy/that band" to "Guns N' Roses are a true alltimer."

That has value to me.  It should to all of us.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »

Iv said it before and ill say it again. I never got to see GNR in their Heyday so to have had the opportunity over the last couple of years to see them twice myself has been a great experience and anyone going should take this as an opportunity to enjoy an all time band before they decide to part ways for good. And I got to see them in 2001 and 2012 before this NILT where I saw them twice but to see the Big 3 was an amazing experience.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:33:48 PM by GNR4LIFEJD » Logged
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »

Good Comments Guys

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 03:14:10 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVlIyMG2_Q

decent audio of the whole show. Bad video though peace
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 03:58:16 AM »

reunion effect to me :

those guys sure fucked it all up > those guys sure can talk to each others to make money

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »

that said, just listened to the first songs of the gig (It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle) and it sounded great, Axl included.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »

Most of the gig they all sounded really good. Unfortunately Axl struggled a bit in the last part of Coma (one of my favorite bits from their whole discography) but thats about it. Other than that, it doesen't get much better than that... ok peace
I've bought tickets to the Poland show, so I am super excited about how they sound  smoking
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »

i think lukather ruined him. I ve always seen slash as a new gary moore, but i think that vibe has gone

Is that who he was taking lessons from? Why the fuck he would think he needed to learn anything from that guy is beyond me.

Honestly, that is the reason I didn't buy any tickets for this tour and decided against the new tour with Myles, even for $45. He's just completely lost the groove and soul that MADE him Slash.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: