Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227795 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  My Not In This Lifetime 2018 European leg photos
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Not In This Lifetime 2018 European leg photos  (Read 8588 times)
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »

Shame more people don't feel the same - I have no idea what people do with all the crap pictures, and even crappier bits of video they insist on recording. People don't seem to be capable of enjoying anything unless it's filtered through a screen now. Seriously weird.

That's one reason I don't attend concerts anymore.  Paying $100 or more to stare at the back of someone's hand as they wave a fucking cell phone in my face.

Agreed. It's like being in a mausaleum sometimes. Watch live videos from 80s and 90s of ANY band and the crowd are so much better. I used to hope it would go away as people realised they are ruining their own night, but it doesn't seem to be.

My tactic now is totally ignoring them, in every way. Just try and get lost in my own world at a gug and zone them out. I feel sorry for them- it's impossible to connect with the moment through a screen, so they must be getting so little out of the event. I'd hate to not feel the emotions I do when I see and hear music.

Here you are a little wrong. They don't feel they are missing anything because it is how it should be. If the phone was stolen or broke or the battery died they would feel fuck, fuck, fuck I'm missing the whole show now.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »

Shame more people don't feel the same - I have no idea what people do with all the crap pictures, and even crappier bits of video they insist on recording. People don't seem to be capable of enjoying anything unless it's filtered through a screen now. Seriously weird.

That's one reason I don't attend concerts anymore.  Paying $100 or more to stare at the back of someone's hand as they wave a fucking cell phone in my face.

Agreed. It's like being in a mausaleum sometimes. Watch live videos from 80s and 90s of ANY band and the crowd are so much better. I used to hope it would go away as people realised they are ruining their own night, but it doesn't seem to be.

My tactic now is totally ignoring them, in every way. Just try and get lost in my own world at a gug and zone them out. I feel sorry for them- it's impossible to connect with the moment through a screen, so they must be getting so little out of the event. I'd hate to not feel the emotions I do when I see and hear music.

Here you are a little wrong. They don't feel they are missing anything because it is how it should be. If the phone was stolen or broke or the battery died they would feel fuck, fuck, fuck I'm missing the whole show now.

True. Imagine being a teenager in a world where everything you do could be  caught on film and exists forever online? Must be a horrendous feeling: that anxiety and worry added to the general anxiety of that time of life. The perfect method of behaviour control, some may say.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »

Is there a no axl clause or something ?

How did you come to that conclusion?

I'm assuming that you were looking at pics of him and came to that conclusion? That's slightly odd....

/jarmo

A question is hardly a conclusion.

You're right. So let me rephrase that then: What made you ask that question?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »

The band should give ticket holders the opportunity to download the show after the concert for 5 bucks or something and you’d eliminate most of the fans filming the concert. Plus the band would create more revenue for themselves. I think Metallica do it. Come on management!!!

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 07:59:48 AM »

The band should give ticket holders the opportunity to download the show after the concert for 5 bucks or something and you’d eliminate most of the fans filming the concert. Plus the band would create more revenue for themselves. I think Metallica do it. Come on management!!!

http://www.livemetallica.com/catalog.aspx

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »

I don't know how often I see these "GN'R should..... because band Z is doing it" ideas pop up.

Yes, in an ideal world, everything's as simple as that.

Metallica, and Pearl Jam, are not signed to a major record company at this moment. Which might explain why they can do things like that.

On the other hand, if GN'R doesn't want to release every single show, that's their right not to..... As well.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

I don't know how often I see these "GN'R should..... because band Z is doing it" ideas pop up.

Metallica, and Pearl Jam, are not signed to a major record company at this moment. Which might explain why they can do things like that.

On the other hand, if GN'R doesn't want to release every single show, that's their right not to..... As well.

/jarmo

While you are correct the problem here is that fans who really want to see or hear something will find a way. It means being a criminal for people who normally abide the law.

Then for those who don't have the skills to see or hear something it is impossible. They still would pay for it.

All the gigs are more or less available even on this site anyway so why not make them legally available. It is somewhat stupid to sell merchandise but then not the actual product.

We probably have to wait for another 25 years to read a book to find out how much some attorneys are making profit out of this.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »

I'm not sure I follow that logic. Selling merchandise at shows such as t-shirts is somewhat stupid because you don't sell the show recordings?

I don't know how many "copies" you expect a live recording of a specific show to sell, but from my experience, people do buy t-shirts...

/jarmo

Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »

I'm not sure I follow that logic. Selling merchandise at shows such as t-shirts is somewhat stupid because you don't sell the show recordings?

I don't know how many "copies" you expect a live recording of a specific show to sell, but from my experience, people do buy t-shirts...

/jarmo

Yeah, I've seen people queuing up for t-shirts but they would also do that for official recordings. Of course, selling t-shirts is better business as they cost a very lot (not much to produce, it's only a t-shirt with some picture) and especially in cheaper countries with not that much purchasing power.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:24:01 AM by Lord Stan » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 12:31:00 PM »

Yeah, I've seen people queuing up for t-shirts but they would also do that for official recordings. 

I'm not so sure about that.

A t-shirt you can wear. A lithograph you can frame and put on your wall.

A digital download of the show you can listen to.....

Sure, a certain part of the crowd would buy it. But I'm guessing a bigger percentage of the crowd would prefer to spend the money on other merch.....

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »

Yeah, I've seen people queuing up for t-shirts but they would also do that for official recordings. 

I'm not so sure about that.

A t-shirt you can wear. A lithograph you can frame and put on your wall.

A digital download of the show you can listen to.....

Sure, a certain part of the crowd would buy it. But I'm guessing a bigger percentage of the crowd would prefer to spend the money on other merch.....

/jarmo

I think it was the Pixies who first introduced a scheme whereby you ordered and paid at the merch store, then after the gig received a CD copy of the concert. They took a CD printing press on tour with them, and started printing the discs (sleeves printed in advance) as soon as the band left the stage. Other bands followed their lead of course, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it recently - which suggests it perhaps wasn't very financial viable.

Lots of bands do allow you to buy a download of the show a few days after, via an official site, or order a CD. This of course gives time to mix things properly. I believe these schemes are fairly successful, so there must be a certain level of demand among their fanbase. But they of course have different fanbases to GNR.

I think we do live in a time where people like "things to show and/or boast about" (especially via their social media), so casual fans would probably always opt for a shirt/poster etc. Are there enough bigger fans in the GNR world to go beyond this? I have no idea. I've expressed before on this forum my lack of awareness as to actually how popular this band are; I simply have no idea. I know in my day to day life, the only people I come across who claim to like the band only know one or two songs - they'd be unlikely to buy a recording of a concert they attended. NITL tour saw me surrounded by people who didn't know many of the songs being played on stage - I think they'd be unlikely to buy a recording. But they WOULD buy a shirt. So I think your point Jarmo is probably a valid one, all told.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »

/jarmo

I don’t think they should because a different band does it. I just think it’s a missed opportunity. A band that was once all about the fans is missing out on staying in touch with fans, giving them the opportunity to take a memory home with them after a show. Jarmo you enjoy taking pics of the show and you’ve got special access. I know I’d buy a digital download and lots of fans would. It’s just a really cool idea to do stuff like that for fans and means they don’t have to try and film or bootleg stuff themselves.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »

I don’t think they should because a different band does it. I just think it’s a missed opportunity. A band that was once all about the fans is missing out on staying in touch with fans, giving them the opportunity to take a memory home with them after a show. Jarmo you enjoy taking pics of the show and you’ve got special access. I know I’d buy a digital download and lots of fans would. It’s just a really cool idea to do stuff like that for fans and means they don’t have to try and film or bootleg stuff themselves.

I'm aware of them missing out on a possible source of income.

Like I said, there are multiple variables that you should take into account before "demanding" things. I've said it before, but it's easy to say "GN'R should..." when all you need to do is dream and type the words.

We all would enjoy that....

That's not what I'm commenting about.

I'm pointing out the reality of the situation.

They are signed to a record company who might, or might not, be interested in releasing all these shows.

GN'R might not want to release every single show. That's their choice.

Bands who do these live releases of every show are often mentioned. But that's not the norm. I'm sure you can mention bands who don't do it.... That's the reality. Smiley

/jarmo

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »

I'm aware of them missing out on a possible source of income.

Like I said, there are multiple variables that you should take into account before "demanding" things. I've said it before, but it's easy to say "GN'R should..." when all you need to do is dream and type the words.

We all would enjoy that....

That's not what I'm commenting about.

I'm pointing out the reality of the situation.

They are signed to a record company who might, or might not, be interested in releasing all these shows.

GN'R might not want to release every single show. That's their choice.

Bands who do these live releases of every show are often mentioned. But that's not the norm. I'm sure you can mention bands who don't do it.... That's the reality. Smiley

/jarmo

You’re right, it’s not the norm. But it’s still cool. I just love this band so much and can’t get enough of them and fantasise about what I would love to see happen as a fan. It’s totally up to them what they want to do with their stuff and I respect that 100% I just hope they do release this stuff in the future along with the stuff in the vault from the Illusions era and the material removed from YouTube but again, we might never get to see it again.. Not in this lifetime

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

I think the AFD reissue was a great idea. They released some of the things that were in the vaults for us hardcore fans.

/jarmo

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 02:55:31 AM »

I think the AFD reissue was a great idea. They released some of the things that were in the vaults for us hardcore fans.
/jarmo

It was a great idea and if I had a spare €1000 I would have bought the box which looks so cool. In my opinion the Saskatoon show that appeared briefly on YouTube was even better than all that put together though. All those Illusions shows were proshot and that show was amazing to see. I hope an official release of those shows surfaces some day.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:57:28 AM by gcluskey » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: