Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55954 times)
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 02:36:09 AM »

Basically the mods/admins are saying they have multiple sources and photos suggesting that the band are in a Vancouver studio together and are planning a few shows. They're all very excited- and there doeasn't seem to be much love for Axl, it has to be said.

That's fair.

How excited would we be for any other singer than Axl for our favorite band?

Yep, guess so. If it turns out that Axl IS going to be continuing with Ac/DC now though there will be a lof of very pised off people. I do wonder how much commercial sense there is in doing something that seems to be so vehementley opposed to what fans want. I wonder how much of the opposition to Axl that seems to be present would translate into ticket/album sales? Hard to know really. I have a feeling many AC/DC fans may hate the idea a lot but probably would still buy tickets and albums...

As always, the loudest voices are the most extreme ones. A lot of the videos of Axl/DC now have positive comments. But yes, at the same time, unfortunately AC/DC fans don't tend to be the most open minded group, and I say that as one myself. Frankly, most of the fuss is entirely hypocritical, seeing as they hired Brian and recorded Back in Black about three months after Bon had died. They have never dwelt on sentimentality, so anyone who expected it for Brian was simply not paying attention.

Yep, guess so. If it turns out that Axl IS going to be continuing with Ac/DC now though there will be a lof of very pised off people. I do wonder how much commercial sense there is in doing something that seems to be so vehementley opposed to what fans want. I wonder how much of the opposition to Axl that seems to be present would translate into ticket/album sales? Hard to know really. I have a feeling many AC/DC fans may hate the idea a lot but probably would still buy tickets and albums...

I don't think it's all that commercially viable.

Think about that last tour.  Tickets were already sold.  Once it was announced Axl was filling in, some people just rolled with it, but a lot of people dumped their tickets to GNR fans who wanted to see Axl.  That's how I got my ticket.  That's how a lot of us did, on the secondary market from AC/DC fans uninterested in seeing Axl Rose.

So now you are going to try and sell a tour with no secrets.  It's Axl Rose.  Are AC/DC fans jumping at that? What about GNR fans?  Are they going again?  I'm not.  I loved my show, but I feel like I saw it.  I got the gist.  I don't know the next tour is all that different an experience.

Does AXL/DC fill basketball arenas in the U.S.?  I wonder.

How about rock fans in general? Why does it have to be die hard AC/DC or GNR fans? And if there's new music, that's not the same experience. A collaboration between them would potentially be the coolest thing ever IMO.

And as far as selling tickets, most of the reception outside diehard closed-minded AC/DC fans was overwhelmingly positive. Even people who wrote Axl off decades ago have been saying how impressed they were. And that tour was only one leg with only the tickets being resold available. The number of people who actually did see Axl/DC is very, very small.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:38:23 AM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 06:00:07 AM »

Slash pretty much said the same thing Axl has said.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »

I don't think it's all that commercially viable.

Think about that last tour.  Tickets were already sold.  Once it was announced Axl was filling in, some people just rolled with it, but a lot of people dumped their tickets to GNR fans who wanted to see Axl.  That's how I got my ticket.  That's how a lot of us did, on the secondary market from AC/DC fans uninterested in seeing Axl Rose.

So now you are going to try and sell a tour with no secrets.  It's Axl Rose.  Are AC/DC fans jumping at that? What about GNR fans?  Are they going again?  I'm not.  I loved my show, but I feel like I saw it.  I got the gist.  I don't know the next tour is all that different an experience.

Does AXL/DC fill basketball arenas in the U.S.?  I wonder.

Same here - I got mine for a fraction of the face value.

Obviously things would have to be significantly scaled down were they to continue with Axl (things meaning venue sizes) but working within that awareness...what choice do AC/DC have, if they wish to continue and Brian can't? They're really left with three options - carry on with Axl, on a much smaller scale, knock the whole thing on the head completely, or maybe find a completely different third singer that doesn't seem to invite the ire of fans quite so much (if that' even possible).

If it was my band, I'd probably be looking to go out after a long career doing something that would go down well with the fans, and bring back Brian in whatever capacity. Then looking at doing something new.....

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »

How about rock fans in general? Why does it have to be die hard AC/DC or GNR fans? And if there's new music, that's not the same experience. A collaboration between them would potentially be the coolest thing ever IMO.

Really?  How many new songs are in the setlist?  2?  3, maybe?

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that one of the first few songs will be 'Shoot To Thrill'.  That the last song before the encore is 'Let There Be Rock'.  And, what do you know, the last song is 'For Those About To Rock'.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »

And equal stock should be put in both.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »

most of the fuss is entirely hypocritical, seeing as they hired Brian and recorded Back in Black about three months after Bon had died. They have never dwelt on sentimentality, so anyone who expected it for Brian was simply not paying attention.

Actually it seems you weren't paying attention.  Axl replacing Brian Johnson is hardly the same thing as Brian replacing Bon.  Let's analyze:

IN TERMS OF BRIAN REPLACING BON...
*** AC/DC still had not peaked at this point.  They had some success in Australia but their success elsewhere was moderate at best.  Arguably their most promising album came in 1979 with Highway to Hell, which -- while making them viable -- still didn't catapult them to worldwide superstars.  Less than a year later, Bon died.

*** Brian was hired to replace Bon because Bon died.  Not because Bon had some issue that kept him away.  Bon was dead and gone, and AC/DC was also going to be dead and gone.  Not the same with Axl later on.

LOL, geez, somebody got awfully triggered!  Shocked

Bon died, making him unable to be the singer anymore. Brian lost his hearing, making him unable to be the singer anymore. Explain how the reason they were unable to continue makes a difference. I'll wait.

*** AC/DC was never sentimental?  Think again.  It was Bon's parents who encouraged AC/DC to continue on, saying that Bon would have wanted it that way.  Your post suggested that it was rather callous of AC/DC to continue on immediately after Bon's death, which isn't exactly the way it happened.

I didn't suggest that. But it sure as hell wasn't sentimental either. I said they hired Brian and recorded the entirety of BIB three months after his death. That is just a fact, you cannot argue with it.

*** Immediately after Brian's 1980 debut, he led AC/DC to megastar status and did so after replacing an established frontman, an astonishing feat that is still largely unparalleled in rock history.  He went on to front AC/DC for nearly 40 years and cemented himself as AC/DC's legitimate frontman in every conceivable way.

So, in conjunction with your previous statement about the lack of worldwide success with Bon, you are saying that Bon was not leaving as large shoes to fill as Brian is to Axl? Because I think most fans would disagree. I would say they are about equal, and I am more fair to Brian than many fans. Bon accomplished a lot in his short time and Brian kept it going for decades.

IN TERMS OF AXL REPLACING BRIAN....
*** Some fans (mostly GNR fans) accept it.  Many react negatively.  Why?  Because Axl Rose didn't spend nearly 40 years accomplishing what Brian did with AC/DC.  To AC/DC fans, Brian is THEIR singer and cannot be legitimately replaced, and they're NOT going to just dismiss it by saying.... "but, but, Brian replaced somebody too!"  And that's NOT hypocrisy on their part.

I was an AC/DC fan before I was a GNR fan. And as I already stated, the complainers are always the loudest. There are a LOT of AC/DC fans who were blown away by Axl.

Brian did not have 40 years of accomplishments when he replaced Bon in 1980. But he wasn't shit on relentlessly for it. In fact, Axl has much more of a legacy from GNR than Brian did with Geordie when he joined.

How is that not hypocrisy? Before he died, Bon was THE AC/DC singer and many fans believed he could not legitimately be replaced. However, they were supportive of Brian and even held signs that said "good luck Brian" at his first shows. The contrast in treatment is undeniable.

Yes, Brian needed to step away because of his hearing, but unlike Bon, he is still alive.  Lots of fans and industry people criticized AC/DC for continuing on with Axl rather than just rescheduling the shows when Brian was well enough (which most bands would have done).

Again, you must not have been paying attention. Brian was told by his doctor in no uncertain terms, "you will lose your hearing entirely if you continue". He was stubborn about it and Angus got attacked for doing what was best for Brian. And yet again, if you know this band, they do not stop for anything. If they have a commitment, they will follow through come hell or high water. Malcolm had to bow out of the 1988 BUYV tour to go to rehab. They didn't bring the tour to an ass-grinding halt just for him, they enlisted Stevie.

Which brings me to another point, Malcolm died. Where is the outrage over continuing without him? Where is the shit being slung at Stevie for taking his place? Is he not irreplaceable? He wrote half of the freaking songs. Brian didn't even write lyrics anymore. How in the hell can you say Brian is irreplaceable but not Malcolm? That is the definition of hypocrisy.

AXL replaced BRIAN at a time when Brian could've eventually gotten well and returned.  It doesn't matter what Axl has done with GNR, this is AC/DC.  It's Brian's band, and AC/DC fans believe that for very valid reasons.

Again, he was not going to get well in time to reschedule those shows. Especially at his age, the body does not recover quickly, and hearing damage is almost entirely permanent to begin with. It is not Brian's band any more than it was ever Bon's band, Malcolm's band, or now Angus' band. Angus is the only original member surviving, so whatever he says the band is, is what it is. Not a bunch of fans, no matter how entitled they feel they are.

However, it's ridiculous and rather offensive to call AC/DC fans "close-minded" and "hypocritical".  You wanna throw those terms around?  Over the last 15 years, we've had two types of people on this very forum:

1. Axl Rose fans who hated Slash and called original fans "close-minded" because they wouldn't accept all of the newer GNR lineups.
2. Old school GNR fans who criticized Axl and called Axl fans "close-minded" because they DID accept any old lineup that Axl called Guns N Roses.

#2 makes no sense. That is the definition of open-minded.

Guess what?  The exact same debate could be had about Axl/DC.

1. YOU call AC/DC fans close-minded for not accepting Axl (and then you also falsely apply the word "hypocrisy" to something that isn't).
2. I could just as easily (and accurately) call YOU close-minded for dismissing/insulting AC/DC fans and devaluing the decades of passion they've had for a band (and its singer) by claiming all their opinions are "close-minded" just because they don't agree with YOUR opinion that any old singer can be thrown into the band!

Maybe you should look up the definition of hypocrisy before trying to just blindly lob it back like "I'm rubber and you're glue!"

#2: I AM a hardcore AC/DC fan with decades of passion for the band. I'm just not a closed-minded, entitled jerk like the people who think they get to determine what AC/DC is, going against Angus' decisions, who actually founded the band. I called them closed-minded because they didn't even give Axl a chance and wrote him off before he ever sang a single note. Not because they disagree with me, because they are being closed-minded. What is so hard for you to get about this? Really...

And Axl is not "any old singer". As I already said, he is a rock legend with decades of experience. Brian was a nobody before he joined.

Yep, "close-minded" is indeed an easy label to smear all over someone just because you disagree with them.  yes  In your own (closed) mind, it gives you some sort of power and advantage over them when you rationalize that their thought process isn't the equivalent of yours, huh?

Do you even hear yourself? Is this grade school? Control your emotions.

AC/DC or GNR.  A collaboration between them would potentially be the coolest thing ever IMO.

Yep, that little acronym at the end summarizes it.... IN YOUR OPINION!   hihi  And you know what?  That's cool!   ok

Until you "close-mindedly" start directing the phrase "close-minded" at ANYONE who doesn't agree that what is found IN YOUR OPINION is the only way to think of it!   ok

Yeah, I very clearly said it was my opinion, so why are you getting so emotional and defensive about this?

And it's "closed-minded", not "close-minded".
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:19:13 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 07:08:05 AM »

Quite the rant! It's only a band!

Anyway- it does indeed look like Brian is back, in some capacity. I've just seen a photo of himself and Phil Rudd (drummer) at the studio, taken two days ago.

EDIT: Have tried to upload it, but my technology skills are shit!

This guy has it on his blog though, for those who want to see: https://earofnewt.com/2018/08/07/ac-dc-blockbuster-news-newts-rumour-proven-true-phil-rudd-is-in-vancouver-and-brian-johnson-too/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:33:04 AM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »

Fanbase preferences aside, this was probably our best chance to hear Axl on a record anytime soon. :/
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 09:49:24 AM »

Fanbase preferences aside, this was probably our best chance to hear Axl on a record anytime soon. :/

That's my worry too......

An AC/DC record would have been a poor 'second best' in my view, but at least it would have been something.

westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

That's my worry too......

An AC/DC record would have been a poor 'second best' in my view, but at least it would have been something.

Yes, maybe anytime soon. But try to set your clocks to Guns-time, have patience,  and I believe we'll get a new Guns record. I hope for both CD-stuff and new stuff with Slash and Duff.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-guns-n-roses-future/

New Slash interview. I think something is cooking.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 07:38:53 PM »

Another interview.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-guns-n-roses-guitarist-slash-on-30-years-of-hell-raising-m2q9qbkmg

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »

I think everyone's excited about the prospect of making music together. No one has said "No, never" no matter what some like to interpret the answers as....

Also, the AFD box set was released with Axl, Duff and Slash back working together. First release since the regrouping. Which can't be a bad thing... Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »

Something is very much cooking- a new Slash album and tour. Hence the interviews!

remcognr
Rocker

#remcognr

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 08:07:54 PM »

Also, the AFD box set was released with Axl, Duff and Slash back working together. First release since the regrouping. Which can't be a bad thing... Smiley

Exactly, the band has released more material then they’ve done in a long time. And all with the release of all the clothing it actually has been a pretty good time for us fans. They are in a “releasing mode”.

"There's A Lot Goin'On"

Check out my GN'R collection on insta: www.instagram.com/remcognr
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 02:01:19 AM »

Something is very much cooking- a new Slash album and tour. Hence the interviews!

This is pretty much all that is cooking. Show any proof otherwise and then we can take it from there.
Conan
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 08:24:21 AM »

/jarmo

Which is pretty much the same thing that Dizzy has said and Richard Fortus and DJ Ashba...

Of course live concert blu-rays (barely...) and re-mastered 31.5 year old albums are all we have actually got.

What’s that old saying? Actions speak louder than words?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »

/jarmo

Which is pretty much the same thing that Dizzy has said and Richard Fortus and DJ Ashba...

Of course live concert blu-rays (barely...) and re-mastered 31.5 year old albums are all we have actually got.

You forgot to include a tour.... It's not like they've been at home just thinking about new music. They're on tour.

We're pretty much in a similar place where we were before Chinese came out. A bunch of people "needing" new music. And then, it wasn't what they needed after all....

/jarmo

Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »

/jarmo

You forgot to include a tour.... It's not like they've been at home just thinking about new music. They're on tour.

We're pretty much in a similar place where we were before Chinese came out. A bunch of people "needing" new music. And then, it wasn't what they needed after all....

/jarmo

What does this mean? I think many needed it after all and I bought a couple of albums on the day of the release and more later. There were also other people needing that.

Of course it didn't sell well but I think we know why that happened.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 12:27:44 PM »

It means that for many, they really really wanted the album to come out, then when it did, they couldn't wait to hear those other songs.

It's like you want something, and you get it and then realize it wasn't really what you were wanting.... So you start wanting something else. Again....

I don't know how many comments I've read over the years where people say they cant wait to hear ______ (Insert song title). Seems like some have expectations on how much they'll enjoy a song based on the titles alone. Smiley

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: