Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55930 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 09:06:41 AM »

I think the point is that if Axl has no real intention of putting out whatever he may or may not be tinkering with behind the scenes...it might as well not exist for the rest of the world.  It's as meaningful as a magical flute that cures cancer, but only he can hear it play.

Obviously.  And just as obviously, he knows that too.

But you don't expect the press secretary to come out and speak against the President either.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »

What if the next GNR release is a box set of unreleased UYI songs? something similar to what they did with Appetite.

That cupboard is pretty bare.  'Ain't Goin' Down' was the only one that sounds like a finished song.

Could there be this treasure trove of songs sitting unearthed in some box?  I suppose.  Don't think it's likely though.

A UYI type of collection probably just gets you demos and alternate takes.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »

I think the point is that if Axl has no real intention of putting out whatever he may or may not be tinkering with behind the scenes...it might as well not exist for the rest of the world.  It's as meaningful as a magical flute that cures cancer, but only he can hear it play.

Ummm. No.

Some like to think that they know for sure how things work and what Axl is capable of. That their opinion is fact.

We don't know what he's done in recent years because he hasn't really talked about it (for obvious reasons). A few years ago he considered the album pretty much done... And then things happened.

The thing we don't know is when. To argue about there not being anything recorded is just silly.

/jarmo

Yes, things happened...but does that make what was done suddenly "undone"?  Or just put back in the vault?

I don't think anyone's arguing the existence of recorded stuff...but rather it's whether we ever get to hear it.  You say the thing we don't know is when...I would say the thing we don't know is if 

Don't worry, I'm still happy with all the times I've been able to see GnR the past couple years...but it's not crazy to wonder if there's a plan for new music.  IMO, their actions do not indicate that.  I know, they've been focusing on touring, so no time to record and release new stuff (despite every other band being able to).  And I know, albums don't sell (despite every other band not named Tool still releasing them).  But I digress...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »

New music seemed like the logical progression of things, given how well received the reunion was right out of the gates.  In December it will be 3 years since those promos appeared before "The Force Awakens" and still no news on the new music front.  That's a bit frustrating, given that Axl basically said they were "rounding third" on getting that out way back in 2014. 

Of course, Slash & Duff being back in the fold threw a wrench in releasing them as they are since they do not play on said tracks.  But there have been sizable breaks in between legs where Slash & Duff could have easily laid down guitars on whatever Axl has, similar to what Ron did for Chinese Democracy between tour legs in 2006/07.  Why hasn't that happened yet? 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »

What if the next GNR release is a box set of unreleased UYI songs? something similar to what they did with Appetite.

I'd snap up the $140 version of it, like I did with AFD, in a New York Minute.

And, I suspect, most people in this forum would get some version of it, too...and if they didn't outright buy it, it would be on their spotify playlist faster than you can say Axl Rose.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

Yes, things happened...but does that make what was done suddenly "undone"?  Or just put back in the vault?

I don't think anyone's arguing the existence of recorded stuff...but rather it's whether we ever get to hear it.  You say the thing we don't know is when...I would say the thing we don't know is if 

Don't worry, I'm still happy with all the times I've been able to see GnR the past couple years...but it's not crazy to wonder if there's a plan for new music.  IMO, their actions do not indicate that.  I know, they've been focusing on touring, so no time to record and release new stuff (despite every other band being able to).  And I know, albums don't sell (despite every other band not named Tool still releasing them).  But I digress...

I think jarmo has it right.  It's when. 

Because look at what labels have done posthumously with big stars and even big bands (like the beatles).  Eventually, the vault gets broken open in the name of making a buck.

If there are near finished tracks that the label can polish up and sell, they will. Eventually.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »

New music seemed like the logical progression of things, given how well received the reunion was right out of the gates.  In December it will be 3 years since those promos appeared before "The Force Awakens" and still no news on the new music front.  That's a bit frustrating, given that Axl basically said they were "rounding third" on getting that out way back in 2014. 

OK, sure.

But they've also been on the road near constantly since then.  Mostly with Gnr, but Axl with AC/DC a bit, and now Slash with MK.  There hasn't exactly been any down time to really flesh out, record, and release an album.

I think I once said if we didn't have news of new music by the end of 2018, I'd be discouraged.  I've kicked that can to 2019 because, realistically, they've had no reasonable amount of time to do anything studio related

If they all go separate ways in 2019, or spend the ENTIRE year on tour, then....I think we're at a point where we have to drastically temper (and this bothers me less than it does other folks) our expectations for a new album.  But we've got some time before then.

Of course, Slash & Duff being back in the fold threw a wrench in releasing them as they are since they do not play on said tracks.  But there have been sizable breaks in between legs where Slash & Duff could have easily laid down guitars on whatever Axl has, similar to what Ron did for Chinese Democracy between tour legs in 2006/07.  Why hasn't that happened yet? 

2 short years ago, at just about this time, I would have told you that you were CRAZY to think Slash and Duff were going to rejoin GnR.  I would have pegged (and I think most of us would have pegged) the chances for a reunion at about .001%.

And yet.....things changed pretty rapidly.

If there's one thing I've learned in my 30+ years of fandom of this band, it's this: Nobody knows what they think they know, and whatever you expect to happen...you're probably wrong.

Everything posted here is rampant speculation that belies the world view of the posters.  We have some pessimists.  We have some optimists. We have some realists. And we have some trolls.

NONE of them (us) know SHIT about ANYTHING.  We can all take the piss out of various sides, and likelihoods, and we can go round and round and chase our tails til the cows come home.  I did a LOT of that in the past (HEY DX!!!).  No more.  The reunion taught me that, at the end of the day, it's meaningless.  Because NOBODY saw that coming. NOBODY.

And I suspect NOBODY will see new music coming, if it does, until it's either almost on our doorstep or they are WELL into the process to the point where it's release is inevitable.  They are not going to talk about creating until they are sure they can still function as a creative unit and they have stuff they like, and are just about ready to release.

Because it would be STUPID to do anything else, given the fervor, pressure, media hype, and "pestering" that talking about that stuff early on in the process would bring.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »

That cupboard is pretty bare.  'Ain't Goin' Down' was the only one that sounds like a finished song.

Could there be this treasure trove of songs sitting unearthed in some box?  I suppose.  Don't think it's likely though.

A UYI type of collection probably just gets you demos and alternate takes.

Maybe.

We know a couple of things:

1) There were more UYI tracks they didn't use and finish. They talked a bit about these back in the early 90's.   Some of them were supposed to be the basis for the next album.  I don't know how many (I think 3 or 4, at least....including Ain't Going Down). The problem, I suspect, is a lot of that material is Izzy influenced/written stuff, and I'm not exactly sure how that plays out, now.

2) There is a bunch of "Slash" type material that they were working on, before the big breakup, according to both Axl and Slash.  Axl said he was working on a "Slash" record, but couldn't make everyone happy so just gave up.  I know some of that material Slash took, and used on his solo album, but not ALL of it.  There might be 2 or 3 tracks there they could pull together.

That's 5 or 6 new songs?  I think if they did the UYI Remaster with 5 or 6 new songs on there....they'd do pretty OK with it. No?

It might not STRICTLY be UYI material, but material from that ERA.

I'm not sure if they'd want to revisit that material, given the sentiments that surrounded it and the shit it might muck up.  But they COULD.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:18:33 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »

I am telling you right now if they ever released a studio version of Crash Diet that would be like what Shadow of your Love did for the Appetite release. Just that demo version thats been around forever iv loved a clean cut version would be awesome.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »

I am telling you right now if they ever released a studio version of Crash Diet that would be like what Shadow of your Love did for the Appetite release. Just that demo version thats been around forever iv loved a clean cut version would be awesome.

But that's not Slash, is it?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »

Because you're assuming that we won't. Based on what?

Because it didn't come out yet, we won't get anything new ever again?

I believe the question is more about what and when. What will it be and when....

Not if....

But then again, I wasn't one of those who said Chinese would never come out.... I didn't think Axl worked on those songs to keep them to himself, and I still feel the same way about whatever he's worked on, or decides to work on in the future.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »

Because you're assuming that we won't. Based on what?

Because it didn't come out yet, we won't get anything new ever again?

I believe the question is more about what and when. What will it be and when....

Not if....

But then again, I wasn't one of those who said Chinese would never come out.... I didn't think Axl worked on those songs to keep them to himself, and I still feel the same way about whatever he's worked on, or decides to work on in the future.

/jarmo

There is a reason for people calculating that if you don't score now it becomes more and more unlikely later in the game.

We will never lose interest but there is a very large number of people thinking 'ahh yeah that band, they're ok but never really listened to them'.

I don't have any kids but many on this board do. This magnificent legacy can even be lost. Not lost forever as such but in the way of that band.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »

Anyone ever read Atlas Shrugged?

I've started to believe that it's no coincidence Axl called a song that. I do wonder if he was deeply influenced by it , and that it could be the reason for us not hearing material.....

I'm curious how you think that influenced him not to release the material.

I feel like I heard somebody from the band, or Baz, say that the song has nothing to do with the book, but I could be wrong.

Maybe.

1) There were more UYI tracks they didn't use and finish. They talked a bit about these back in the early 90's.   Some of them were supposed to be the basis for the next album.  I don't know how many (I think 3 or 4, at least....including Ain't Going Down). The problem, I suspect, is a lot of that material is Izzy influenced/written stuff, and I'm not exactly sure how that plays out, now.

2) There is a bunch of "Slash" type material that they were working on, before the big breakup, according to both Axl and Slash.  Axl said he was working on a "Slash" record, but couldn't make everyone happy so just gave up.  I know some of that material Slash took, and used on his solo album, but not ALL of it.  There might be 2 or 3 tracks there they could pull together.

That's 5 or 6 new songs?  I think if they did the UYI Remaster with 5 or 6 new songs on there....they'd do pretty OK with it. No?

I'm not sure if they'd want to revisit that material, given the sentiments that surrounded it and the shit it might muck up.  But they COULD.

Really? I got the impression that just about every song recorded for UYI went on it. Do you have any links to those statements? I'd love to read them.

As far as the whole '94-95 era, Slash would say back then that Axl rejected the material he presented, implying that the entirety of it was reused for Snakepit's first album, but now in one of these recent interviews, he changed it to "just a few riffs". However, IDK if that's just trying to downplay that nasty part of their history now that things are good again, or actually the case. Also, we know This I Love dates back to '93, Fall To Pieces was written in GNR and Slash wrote the Speed Parade riff for a GNR pinball machine around '94.

I haven't heard about Axl doing a Slash album either, are there any links for that? Let's hope if that's true, he didn't just erase all traces of it out of spite or something, lol.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:22:22 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »

I've started to believe that it's no coincidence Axl called a song that. I do wonder if he was deeply influenced by it , and that it could be the reason for us not hearing material.....

I feel like I heard somebody from the band, or Baz, say that the song has nothing to do with the book, but I could be wrong.

Maybe.

Really? I got the impression that just about every song recorded for UYI went on it. Do you have any links to those statements? I'd love to read them.

As far as the whole '94-95 era, Slash would say back then that Axl rejected the material he presented, implying that the entirety of it was reused for Snakepit's first album, but now in one of these recent interviews, he changed it to "just a few riffs". However, IDK if that's just trying to downplay that nasty part of their history now that things are good again, or actually the case. Also, we know This I Love dates back to '93, Fall To Pieces was written in GNR and Slash wrote the Speed Parade riff for a GNR pinball machine around '94.

I haven't heard about Axl doing a Slash album either, are there any links for that? Let's hope if that's true, he didn't just erase all traces of it out of spite or something, lol.

In terms of links...this is all stuff I remember from various interviews in the early to late 90s. They may or may not be out there on the google machine somewhere. No idea.

But the "making a slash album" comments I remember very specifically from an axl interview post break up. I think around the time of the loder interview, but it might have heen a couple years after? Similar sentiment to the loder interview but more details.

And the uyi vaulted material stuff I temember from an mtv interview...or something of the sort....from around 93. They said it was hard to get all the material into one album, so they did two...and there was still stuff they had to cut from the tracklist that was hard. It was def a post izzy interview, because gilby and matt were on screen, too.

The Snakepit question is the big one: how much of the material was really used vs how much remains in the gnr vault. I dont think he used all of it, given the interviews. How many tracks is the question, i guess?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:55:49 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2018, 08:17:56 AM »

Maybe.

The book is incredibly long and complex (and somewhat contentious in it's philosophy), but essentially revolves around the notion that some people of talent intentionally withhold their skills from a general public who refuse to acknowledge and appreciate them fully.

One of these people is a musician, famed for his past output, who simply ceased releasing new material. He still creates, albeit within the confines of his own personal life, for no one else to hear. The material he writes is never for the general public to hear. Reading it I did think of Axl, and the fact one of his unreleased songs is called Atlas Shrugged.

Just something that I found interesting, and got my mind thinking......

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »

Not sure how many unreleased songs there are from the Illusions era. But they were rumored to have recorded some more covers that they never used for "The Spaghetti Incident?"... Also there's probably alternative takes of songs that did end up on the albums. Considering they were trying to cram as many songs as possible on each cd, many of them fade out. There's a slightly longer version of 14 Years with an outro on a bootleg for example.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2018, 03:05:21 AM »

Maybe.

The book is incredibly long and complex (and somewhat contentious in it's philosophy), but essentially revolves around the notion that some people of talent intentionally withhold their skills from a general public who refuse to acknowledge and appreciate them fully.

One of these people is a musician, famed for his past output, who simply ceased releasing new material. He still creates, albeit within the confines of his own personal life, for no one else to hear. The material he writes is never for the general public to hear. Reading it I did think of Axl, and the fact one of his unreleased songs is called Atlas Shrugged.

Just something that I found interesting, and got my mind thinking......

Ah, thank you for explaining. I only knew of its underpinnings in Libertarianism, nothing of the actual story/stories within. Interesting.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »

To me, the issue is the definition of "new" music. It could mean unreleased stuff from decades ago as people have discussed. I assume that not only GNR but Slash and Duff have songs that are in various stages of completion that could be included (or not) to cobble something together and call it "new music" a la Shadow of my love. To me, that would be a disappointment, although it may do well in sales.

The  obverse of old-new music is new-new music whereby they start from scratch and write entirely new songs. That's probably what we are hoping for but IMO the least likely to happen for various reasons.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2018, 01:22:37 AM »

To me, the issue is the definition of "new" music. It could mean unreleased stuff from decades ago as people have discussed. I assume that not only GNR but Slash and Duff have songs that are in various stages of completion that could be included (or not) to cobble something together and call it "new music" a la Shadow of my love. To me, that would be a disappointment, although it may do well in sales.

The  obverse of old-new music is new-new music whereby they start from scratch and write entirely new songs. That's probably what we are hoping for but IMO the least likely to happen for various reasons.

I cannot imagine Slash ever going back and rehashing old ideas that didn't make the cut in the first place. Just look at his work ethic; he can pump out new ideas like nobody's business.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2018, 06:49:37 AM »

I cannot imagine Slash ever going back and rehashing old ideas that didn't make the cut in the first place. Just look at his work ethic; he can pump out new ideas like nobody's business.

You mean like November Rain, You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry and so on?

Those weren't included on Appetite.....

Doesn't matter when a song was written, a great song is a great song.....

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: