Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55947 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »

I love how Slash and Duff reworked better, they made the song flow, it was always a bit too protoolsy and static. It didnt take long for him/them to do that. If Slash goes into the vault and starts playing like a kid, 12 songs could be ready in a shorter period than we might think.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »

I love how Slash and Duff reworked better, they made the song flow, it was always a bit too protoolsy and static. It didnt take long for him/them to do that. If Slash goes into the vault and starts playing like a kid, 12 songs could be ready in a shorter period than we might think.

Here is what I'd like to see happen.

Axl goes into his Magical Mystery Vault and pulls out what he feels are the 10-12 best songs in there.  If any of them tickle Slash and Duff's fancy, re-record them. 

I'll take anything I can get, but I think I'd rather a fresh new recording rather than Slash cutting and pasting riffs over some song recorded in 2001.

I think a clean break from the Island Of Misfit Toys era is needed.  The people heard on any new album should be people that are actually in the band, present day.  Not folks that packed in in, some almost as far back as 20 years by the time they get around to this.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »

I hope Axl gives Slash full access to the "completed" album he's been kicking around, and basically just says "Have fun" and Slash just does his thing/interpretations.  Throw in Duff's bass for good measure, and honestly, they could be done within a month or two if they just do it that way. Send it to mixing & mastering, and boom.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »

Axl goes into his Magical Mystery Vault and pulls out what he feels are the 10-12 best songs in there.  If any of them tickle Slash and Duff's fancy, re-record them. 

I'll take anything I can get, but I think I'd rather a fresh new recording rather than Slash cutting and pasting riffs over some song recorded in 2001.

I think a clean break from the Island Of Misfit Toys era is needed.  The people heard on any new album should be people that are actually in the band, present day.  Not folks that packed in in, some almost as far back as 20 years by the time they get around to this.

I don't know, I'd like to hear some of those songs. Maybe a good way to go about it is half and half.  6 Vault songs, 6 new songs. With Sailing as a cover  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
JeDr
Headliner

All the love in the world couldn't save you...

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »

Anyone think Axl, Slash and Duff would be up to a Chinese re-record, with all the new additions and trying to get this out there promoting that album again? Would basically be the same as working on 2001 vault songs imo...

There are 40 million sheep in New Zealand...and they're PISSED OFF!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »

The people heard on any new album should be people that are actually in the band, present day. 

You expect Robin Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Paul Tobias Richard Fortus and Slash on guitar?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »

The people heard on any new album should be people that are actually in the band, present day. 

You expect Robin Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Paul Tobias Richard Fortus and Slash on guitar?

/jarmo

Nope.  Slash and Fortus.  That's it.

I liked what Buckethead brought to the table, but dude has been gone for 16 years now.  But if he did something Axl really likes and feels strongly about, I'd rather he let Slash do it his way.

The band on stage right now is a good one.  Go with that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

It's interesting though.

If the next release is what we are speculating about, songs that Axl has worked on during the Chinese Democracy era. Let's say some tracks would feature Buckethead, for example. True, he hasn't been in the band for quite some time, but at this point it would almost be like a special guest...

The only difference being that he was in the band at one point.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »

It's interesting though.

If the next release is what we are speculating about, songs that Axl has worked on during the Chinese Democracy era. Let's say some tracks would feature Buckethead, for example. True, he hasn't been in the band for quite some time, but at this point it would almost be like a special guest...

The only difference being that he was in the band at one point.

/jarmo

I don't think anyone would have a problem with Robin or Bucket appearing on the album as long as Slash still appeared on the lion's share of the album.  No one but like 6 hardcore forum-goers would sneeze at something like that, especially if it's a great song.  If the album's marketed as a Slash/Duff/Axl album no one would give a shit about the details or the recordings. JMO
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »

The fans may not care, but I'm not too sure Slash would want to share lead guitar credits with Bucket or anyone on his long-awaited GNR comeback album. I don't think he'll mind playing on Axl's songs from the ChiDem era, but he's gonna want to put his stamp all over that record.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »

If the album's marketed as a Slash/Duff/Axl album no one would give a shit about the details or the recordings. JMO

It would be a Guns N' Roses album just like the rest.

I mean, the Use Your Illusion albums weren't marketed as something different even though Steven only appeared on one track.....

Sure, the record company could make a point out of mentioning that it was the first album featuring the three of them together since 1993...

The fans may not care, but I'm not too sure Slash would want to share lead guitar credits with Bucket or anyone on his long-awaited GNR comeback album. I don't think he'll mind playing on Axl's songs from the ChiDem era, but he's gonna want to put his stamp all over that record.

Valid point.

I guess it depends on the amount as well....  And style of the song itself.

/jarmo

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »

Frankly, I think Izzy is overrated. His songwriting outside Guns has absolutely nothing of value to it IMO, and even in Guns... 14 Years and Dust N Bones would be just as boring as his solo stuff without Slash and Axl on them. I think his role in Appetite may be overstated. I much prefer the songwriting of Gilby, and the playing of Fortus.

Izzy Overrated???He was the key member in that band they fell apart when he left he wrote so many of their best songs Patience,You could be mine,Don't Cry ,Double Talkin,Think about you,etc him and Axl were close and could related to each other and Slash admitted he could not deal with Axl when Izzy left and the band quickly fell apart.If Axl could get Slash and Duff back then I've no doubt he could get Izzy back in not that they couldn't put out a decent album without him but it would be a lot better if he was involved.

Yes, you heard me right. He's become the obsession of GNR hipsters, especially since the reunion because for so long, he was quietly appreciated by a smaller group until recently, it became the bandwagon way to prove you're a "real GNR fan". It's frankly become laughable how you cannot even parody the overstatement of his influence. I have literally heard people say he was more important than Axl and Slash. Just listen to everything he's made outside GNR (if you can manage to stay awake through it all) compared to what Slash and Axl have made since then. If he was this incredible songwriter, what the hell happened once he left the band?

Patience? You really think that's one of their best songs? Think About You? Now you're just trying to prove my point...

Like I said, Gilby was a better writer outside Guns (Tijuana Jail is better than anything I've heard from Izzy, by far) and even a better player in Guns. Just watch him do Wild Horses from the UYI tour. Izzy's playing never stood out to me like that.

.If Axl could get Slash and Duff back then I've no doubt he could get Izzy back in

... then why hasn't he?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2018, 08:16:33 PM »

Anyone think Axl, Slash and Duff would be up to a Chinese re-record, with all the new additions and trying to get this out there promoting that album again? Would basically be the same as working on 2001 vault songs imo...

LOL, it would be like deja vu of the CD lineup re-recording AFD!  rofl

Yeah, no way, that would be pointless. What would you even call such a thing?

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »

This is another interview from a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=101&v=15eQ45HOyG0

Slash's been an articulate guy. More so now that he's sober  hihi

Highlights:

--Obviously he's promoting his new album and tour.

--They do talk about new soundtracks for horror movies (Slash's doing the score for a few films, which probably means he will most likely be busy writing and recording for that at some stage).

--They also talk about Shadow of your love and how much fun is to play that song live.

--Slash also says Axl "had a special way" of singing the songs with AC/DC so he wouldn't mess with his voice

--How he felt when they rehearsed with Axl for the first time before the NITL tour. It was something "he was very aware of" he was "wow".

--And they talk about this last leg of the tour being the last bit for the NITL tour, then he's going back with the Conspirators and do a "whole world run" and then "well see what happens with Guns..."

To the question, has any GNR music being recorded yet? "no, we've been too busy on the road..." ..." we'll see what happens"

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »

Highlights:

--They do talk about new soundtracks for horror movies (Slash's doing the score for a few films, which probably means he will most likely be busy writing and recording for that at some stage).

--They also talk about Shadow of your love and how much fun is to play that song live.

--Slash also says Axl "had a special way" of singing the songs with AC/DC so he wouldn't mess with his voice

--How he felt when they rehearsed with Axl for the first time before the NITL tour. It was something "he was very aware of" he was "wow".

--And they talk about this last leg of the tour being the last bit for the NITL tour, then he's going back with the Conspirators and do a "whole world run" and then "well see what happens with Guns..."

To the question, has any GNR music being recorded yet? "no, we've been too busy on the road..." ..." we'll see what happens"

I like how he's too busy on the road to record GnR but not that busy to release a Slash/Conspirators album.

IMO, they like to talk about the possibility of a potential new album much more than, you know, actually doing it.  Because if they actually wanted to do it...it would be done.  No record exec. is going to stand in their way now, given how successful the NITL tour was.  We'll see what happens.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2018, 09:51:10 PM »

Highlights:

I like how he's too busy on the road to record GnR but not that busy to release a Slash/Conspirators album.

IMO, they like to talk about the possibility of a potential new album much more than, you know, actually doing it.  Because if they actually wanted to do it...it would be done.  No record exec. is going to stand in their way now, given how successful the NITL tour was.  We'll see what happens.

Well, obviously Slash has always written the bulk of his material while on the road. But Axl clearly doesn't work that way.

And the Conspirators album was already in pre-production when GNR reunited. They only wrote a few new songs and finished things up in order to record while Guns was off the road for a while.

Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2018, 04:02:20 AM »

I don't know, I'd like to hear some of those songs. Maybe a good way to go about it is half and half.  6 Vault songs, 6 new songs. With Sailing as a cover  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I love the sailing cover!!!
I would presume it would be mostly CD era songs (the ones Sebastian Bach mentioned). I can not believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't want slash to redo all the guitar parts. I like a lot of the guitar work on CD, and I like most of them more than I like the way Slash plays them on the concerts, This I love especially.... On the other hand, you cannot compare the cell phone recordings with the studio version... Still DJ Ashba and Fink (sometimes) sounded better live on CD songs than Slash does on the same... can't say the same for Appetite and Illusion songs.
Bumblefoot and Fortus, always sound great and precise Smiley
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2018, 04:45:54 AM »

Slash just confirmed he has material too (I wonder if he kept writing GNR songs over the years, you know, in case...)

Didn't he say that he usually writes with whatever band he's in at the moment? So that in the last year or two, he wrote with GN'R in mind....

But not before the tour started....

I think he mentioned something like that in one of the interviews?  Huh

/jarmo

yup he said that. one time in interview he said he never visited Axl's house, too  hihi

imagine if he said otherwise like "well, I kept my best stuff since the late 90s in case
GNR called me" it would sound kinda lunatic for the public, and unfair for his colleagues of
Velvet or Conspirators.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »

74 min of GNR music recorded by actual GNR members would be great.

With some Izzy n Sorum cameos hihi

axlvai
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »

But a lot of us, myself very much included, thought he sounded better.  Sounded like the old Axl.  On tunes like 'Rock Or Bust', 'Back In Black', Thunderstruck'...it sounded like UYI tour Axl a lot of nights.

So why can he not bring that our for his own material?  Just seems weird to a lot of us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: