Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55935 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »

--Slash also says Axl "had a special way" of singing the songs with AC/DC so he wouldn't mess with his voice

But a lot of us, myself very much included, thought he sounded better.  Sounded like the old Axl.  On tunes like 'Rock Or Bust', 'Back In Black', Thunderstruck'...it sounded like UYI tour Axl a lot of nights.

So why can he not bring that our for his own material?  Just seems weird to a lot of us.

I think there's the "pressure to impress" his idol factor.

He said he worked with a vocal coach for the first time in decades... he didn't want to fuck up.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »

I love how Slash and Duff reworked better, they made the song flow, it was always a bit too protoolsy and static. It didnt take long for him/them to do that. If Slash goes into the vault and starts playing like a kid, 12 songs could be ready in a shorter period than we might think.

Here is what I'd like to see happen.

Axl goes into his Magical Mystery Vault and pulls out what he feels are the 10-12 best songs in there.  If any of them tickle Slash and Duff's fancy, re-record them. 

I'll take anything I can get, but I think I'd rather a fresh new recording rather than Slash cutting and pasting riffs over some song recorded in 2001.

I think a clean break from the Island Of Misfit Toys era is needed.  The people heard on any new album should be people that are actually in the band, present day.  Not folks that packed in in, some almost as far back as 20 years by the time they get around to this.

I don't know, I'd like to hear some of those songs. Maybe a good way to go about it is half and half.  6 Vault songs, 6 new songs. With Sailing as a cover  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I love the sailing cover!!!
I would presume it would be mostly CD era songs (the ones Sebastian Bach mentioned). I can not believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't want slash to redo all the guitar parts. I like a lot of the guitar work on CD, and I like most of them more than I like the way Slash plays them on the concerts, This I love especially.... On the other hand, you cannot compare the cell phone recordings with the studio version... Still DJ Ashba and Fink (sometimes) sounded better live on CD songs than Slash does on the same... can't say the same for Appetite and Illusion songs.
Bumblefoot and Fortus, always sound great and precise Smiley

Hmmm, while I love Bucketheat in twat for example, and a few other songs...I think more than copypasted solos or parts, what Slash brings to the table that none of the others do is making the structure of the song flow. Bucketheat plays great solos on a squared static protoolsy robotic track... if Slash works on it, I feel he makes it more organic, he makes it sound less digital and more analog, less dents and more curves, he basically makes the song sound more alive and less AI.

Im also not a big fan of precise music. People that play like that are rarely the creative type, if you respect the rules too much you sound like a robot, if you break the rules you sound like slash.  ok

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »

yup he said that. one time in interview he said he never visited Axl's house, too  hihi

imagine if he said otherwise like "well, I kept my best stuff since the late 90s in case
GNR called me" it would sound kinda lunatic for the public, and unfair for his colleagues of
Velvet or Conspirators.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a bit of both. That he can write songs or ideas with a specific project in mind, but at the same time he must have a lot of ideas that never got used.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »

But a lot of us, myself very much included, thought he sounded better.  Sounded like the old Axl.  On tunes like 'Rock Or Bust', 'Back In Black', Thunderstruck'...it sounded like UYI tour Axl a lot of nights.

So why can he not bring that our for his own material?  Just seems weird to a lot of us.

Why doesn't he sing everything in the same style? He never did.

AC/DC was different in that sense that the songs weren't written by him, or originally written for him to sing.

He had to adapt to the material in a way.

The GN'R songs are his songs. He sings them the way he thinks they should be sang.

And if that doesn't make sense to you, it's one thing to do a few weeks of touring compared to a few months. AC/DC did 23 shows with Axl. GN'R is up to 149 I think since April 2016...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

about Slash : yeah, he may have kept up his sleeve some ideas which sounded too GNR

about Axl : the difference is he restrains as F when he sings with GNR due to long tours and long shows. with AC/DC
he gaves everything and you can tell. sometimes he was at the edge vocally, and I loved it because it sounded like
he was going to implode  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »

AC/DC was different in that sense that the songs weren't written by him, or originally written for him to sing.

The GN'R songs are his songs. He sings them the way he thinks they should be sang.

And if that doesn't make sense to you, it's one thing to do a few weeks of touring compared to a few months. AC/DC did 23 shows with Axl. GN'R is up to 149 I think since April 2016...

/jarmo

Yeah, but at he same time we can say that actually he can't sing certain songs, and not by choice. He can belt it out (and ac dc its all about it), he can sing low-mid range, but his middle-high range has gone in terms of voice texture. That's nothing wrong with it, its called aging, most singers can barely talk at certain point. I mean his clean voice sounds weak even comparing it to 2001-2002 performances. I think he just should get rid of a couple of songs like ycbm, yesterdays,utlh, my michelle. I know he won't give up singin nr, but the intensity has gone. I think scom sounds good. I just hope they will record songs that will suit his voice i mean, he doesnt have to sing high at any cost every song. beer beer
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:53:28 AM by ITARocker » Logged
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »

Hmmm, while I love Bucketheat in twat for example, and a few other songs...I think more than copypasted solos or parts, what Slash brings to the table that none of the others do is making the structure of the song flow. Bucketheat plays great solos on a squared static protoolsy robotic track... if Slash works on it, I feel he makes it more organic, he makes it sound less digital and more analog, less dents and more curves, he basically makes the song sound more alive and less AI.

Im also not a big fan of precise music. People that play like that are rarely the creative type, if you respect the rules too much you sound like a robot, if you break the rules you sound like slash.  ok

I agree, but Slash has gone totally over to the robotic side now. He doesn't play with the groove and melody he used to. It's so frustrating to me. I mean, compare the solo on Back to the Moment to the one on Safari Inn and it's like a whole different person. He had so much soul before and now he just seems to aimlessly fiddle around and play fast just for the sake of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TrCiDvjgdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV2uOkERx1w

about Slash : yeah, he may have kept up his sleeve some ideas which sounded too GNR

about Axl : the difference is he restrains as F when he sings with GNR due to long tours and long shows. with AC/DC
he gaves everything and you can tell. sometimes he was at the edge vocally, and I loved it because it sounded like

That's not the case though. Slash said he did it in a way where it was not taxing on him.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »

We have now worked our way back to Axl can't sing and Slash sounds like Buckethead.  hihi

Of course, a new album is right around the corner. Yep, Slash and Duff are back and things are different.  Roll Eyes

The only thing different between now and 2001 is Axl's paycheck!

Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..... ok

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »

/jarmo

Nobody is saying that what they are saying is that he gave the ACDC songs more power and passion have you heard him trying to sing Sweet child,Paradise city in his Mickey mouse voice?The amount of Gnr shows compared to ACDC shows means nothing as he was in the middle of a GnR  tour anyway so it made no difference, maybe he felt he had to prove the doubters wrong with ACDC  but he also has more of point to prove with Slash and Co which he did but certain songs needed more of the Rasp.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »

I agree, but Slash has gone totally over to the robotic side now. He doesn't play with the groove and melody he used to. It's so frustrating to me. I mean, compare the solo on Back to the Moment to the one on Safari Inn and it's like a whole different person. He had so much soul before and now he just seems to aimlessly fiddle around and play fast just for the sake of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TrCiDvjgdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV2uOkERx1w

That's not the case though. Slash said he did it in a way where it was not taxing on him.

Hmm, I think that's what the "I write for the band I am in" comes into being. Ive never been a Myles Kennedy fan, nor a fan of Slash in that band, not even a fan of Slash's snakepit (I did like some of it, but cannot name a song). But compare that music to what he did with Ozzy, Lemmy and Iggy Pop on Slash's solo record. I think Slash is often elevated to the status he needs by the people he plays with... similar to what happened to Axl with AC/DC.

In GNR, I think some of the fast doodling style he sometimes does was him trying to please the robotic/fast side of Chidem, maybe thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that that's what Axl wanted. But Better is awesome now, has so much more groove and feeling than before. This I love was perhaps where he got lost the most, but that was a conscious refusal not to play the original solo, and the original one is awesome, so of course he was going to fall short.

Also, that Safari Inn thing sound more jam/jazzy than robotic. There's no atari sounds from finger tapping or anything resembling that.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »

/jarmo

Nobody is saying that what they are saying is that he gave the ACDC songs more power and passion have you heard him trying to sing Sweet child,Paradise city in his Mickey mouse voice?The amount of Gnr shows compared to ACDC shows means nothing as he was in the middle of a GnR  tour anyway so it made no difference, maybe he felt he had to prove the doubters wrong with ACDC  but he also has more of point to prove with Slash and Co which he did but certain songs needed more of the Rasp.

yeah, but GNR is his thing, he's not going to get fired from it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »

Still, no matter how you choose to ignore facts, they're two different kinds of settings. A GN'R show is longer and has more varied material, than the AC/DC shows where he was kinda was a special guest singer, that a bunch of the band's fans were dismissing before he had sang a note with them....

Of course, a new album is right around the corner. Yep, Slash and Duff are back and things are different.  Roll Eyes

Things are different. They already, together, put out the Appetite For Destruction reissue. Something like this would've been unimaginable a few years ago.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2018, 02:10:31 PM »

SCOM is a great example.  As great as the NITL shows were, SCOM was often the weakest song of the night, vocally.  Odd, as it is their signature tune.

You could also make a case that YCBM could have used some of the AXL/DC voice.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »

SCOM is a great example.  As great as the NITL shows were, SCOM was often the weakest song of the night, vocally.  Odd, as it is their signature tune.

You could also make a case that YCBM could have used some of the AXL/DC voice.
I saw them in Slane and as good as it was he really struggled with SCOM,Paradise City and Civil war I know they are quite demanding vocally and he aint 25 anymore but hearing him sing Thunderstruck,Shoot to thrill and Hells Bells like a  man possessed and which are probably more difficult is quite puzzling maybe they suit his voice better or maybe he is more suited to doing a 2 hour show as opposed to nearly 4 with GnR which must really push his vocal chords to the limit.https://youtu.be/1GTj972Tk0o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:06:28 PM by Executioner » Logged
ComeOnAxl!
Rocker

Sup Ya Brew 2 !

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »

When is the universe likely to hear any of this music? Before 2025?

Bow!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »

At this point I think the likelihood that something new would be released before 2025 is quite high.

/jarmo

sandman
Legend

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2018, 06:44:32 PM »

Still, no matter how you choose to ignore facts, they're two different kinds of settings. A GN'R show is longer and has more varied material, than the AC/DC shows where he was kinda was a special guest singer, that a bunch of the band's fans were dismissing before he had sang a note with them....

Things are different. They already, together, put out the Appetite For Destruction reissue. Something like this would've been unimaginable a few years ago.

/jarmo

i'll just add a couple of points to what Jarmo is saying:

1. Axl runs all over HUGE stages during GnR shows. for AC/DC, he pretty much stood in one place, almost in the background, as he made it clear he was not going to steal any of the spot light from Angus. this has an effect on vocals.

- this was such a classy move by Axl. not that Brain Johnson was one to run all over stages, but the way Axl gave all the spotlight to Angus showed how respectful he is of their band, their music, their legacy, their fans, and Angus himself. I know Axl won over close to 100% of their fans, and I think this had something to do with it.

2. not only are they 3-3.5 hour shows, and different types of vocals, but anyone that was at any show left there saying that Axl was incredible. let's not rewrite any history and downplay this fact.

- my brother hated Axl for years, and swore he would never see them again (we were at the philly riot together and although GnR shows in '91 were two of the best shows my bro was ever at, he wasn't a huge fan of Axl's personality). after my bro heard how great the shows were, he went last October and said Axl sounded as good as ever, maybe even better than the '91 shows. he was going to enjoy the show either way, but he would have loved to take some cheap shots at Axl afterwards. and he said he couldn't. he said that show was all-time great, and we were lucky to see a true living legend that night. 

3. as for new music, Slash's comments give me hope. things are different, and its so great to hear things are cool among the band members. not that there was any doubt....you could see that during the shows. fingers crossed!

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2018, 08:26:37 PM »

This morning Q104.3 played clips of the interview that they did with Slash. After they played the clip, the DJ asked the interviewer if he thinks GNR will release new music based off of the interview with Slash. The interviewer said based on his interview with Slash and what Slash has been saying in other articles, he think there will be new music by GNR in the future.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2018, 05:56:13 AM »

it will be the title of the album, too.
featuring Eminem.

yeah I have no idea what I'm talking about.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »

it will be the title of the album, too.
featuring Eminem.

yeah I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Maybe you read it in a secret fax....

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: