Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:24:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55927 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »

When is the universe likely to hear any of this music? Before 2025?

it will be the title of the album, too.
featuring Eminem.

yeah I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Maybe you read it in a secret fax....

/jarmo

He must have gotten Danny's old fax machine....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2018, 08:43:18 AM »

He must have gotten Danny's old fax machine....

Fucking eBay....

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2018, 01:20:33 AM »

Hmmm, while I love Bucketheat in twat for example, and a few other songs...I think more than copypasted solos or parts, what Slash brings to the table that none of the others do is making the structure of the song flow. Bucketheat plays great solos on a squared static protoolsy robotic track... if Slash works on it, I feel he makes it more organic, he makes it sound less digital and more analog, less dents and more curves, he basically makes the song sound more alive and less AI.

Im also not a big fan of precise music. People that play like that are rarely the creative type, if you respect the rules too much you sound like a robot, if you break the rules you sound like slash.  ok

I agree, but Slash has gone totally over to the robotic side now. He doesn't play with the groove and melody he used to. It's so frustrating to me. I mean, compare the solo on Back to the Moment to the one on Safari Inn and it's like a whole different person. He had so much soul before and now he just seems to aimlessly fiddle around and play fast just for the sake of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TrCiDvjgdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV2uOkERx1w

about Slash : yeah, he may have kept up his sleeve some ideas which sounded too GNR

about Axl : the difference is he restrains as F when he sings with GNR due to long tours and long shows. with AC/DC
he gaves everything and you can tell. sometimes he was at the edge vocally, and I loved it because it sounded like
he was going to implode  hihi

That's not the case though. Slash said he did it in a way where it was not taxing on him.

Hmm, I think that's what the "I write for the band I am in" comes into being. Ive never been a Myles Kennedy fan, nor a fan of Slash in that band, not even a fan of Slash's snakepit (I did like some of it, but cannot name a song). But compare that music to what he did with Ozzy, Lemmy and Iggy Pop on Slash's solo record. I think Slash is often elevated to the status he needs by the people he plays with... similar to what happened to Axl with AC/DC.

In GNR, I think some of the fast doodling style he sometimes does was him trying to please the robotic/fast side of Chidem, maybe thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that that's what Axl wanted. But Better is awesome now, has so much more groove and feeling than before. This I love was perhaps where he got lost the most, but that was a conscious refusal not to play the original solo, and the original one is awesome, so of course he was going to fall short.

Also, that Safari Inn thing sound more jam/jazzy than robotic. There's no atari sounds from finger tapping or anything resembling that.

If you can't name a Snakepit song, you are sorely missing out. Ain't Life Grand would have been hailed as AFD II if it were a Guns record. Life's Sweet Drug is 100% Guns N Roses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPvdnuW1kHw

I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. He wrote beautiful solos for Myles on Starlight and Back From Cali. A few on Apoc Love were good but starting to lose the plot and becoming more improvised. By WOF, he was just wanking aimlessly and that's what he's continued to do on NITL. I'd say he improved Buckethead's solo in Better, but definitely not Finck's. And I don't have an issue with him not wanting to learn the original solos, but he apparently doesn't want to write his own, because he improvises every night and it's quite often terrible like with Sorry. I don't think I've heard a single performance of Sorry where he actually reaches the last bar of the solo with a concluding phrase. It's like he never knows where to go with it throughout the solo and is caught off guard by the end every night. Perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Cq4m5eI1Q

I mean WTF was that? Slash was and always will be my biggest influence on guitar, but he has been so disappointing lately. And it hurts me to say that.

I guess "jazzy" is a more charitable way to say "aimless" because that's exactly my issue with jazz; it never goes anywhere. And tapping can be tasteful if done sparingly. But I'm talking about composition.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »

Ain't Life Grand would have been hailed as AFD II if it were a Guns record.

The reality is that it wouldn't have been the same album.
A number of those songs wouldn't have made it onto a GN'R album, and whatever would've made it, would've sounded different because it's a different band compared to the album you're listening to....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »

A number of those songs wouldn't have made it onto a GN'R album, and whatever would've made it, would've sounded different because it's a different band compared to the album you're listening to....

/jarmo

I don't really see the praise for that album. I mean, I bought both, and it's OK, but the first was way better I thought. Weirdly at the time I didn't like them much at all, and thought they were pretty dull, formulaic rock. I like them much more now than I ever did at the time (I dug them out of my collection about 3 years ago). Perhaps they work better as 'archive' pieces, rather than at the time? Or perhaps when they came out, there were a lot of very exciting new rock bands coming through to take up my time....now there's not so many, so I'm not comparing as much?

Am I right in thinking that Slash has mentioned not doing GNR tracks on his upcoming solo tour? If so, that makes it a hell of a lot more interesting to me. I've no interest in hearing him do GNR music with that band.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

Am I right in thinking that Slash has mentioned not doing GNR tracks on his upcoming solo tour? If so, that makes it a hell of a lot more interesting to me. I've no interest in hearing him do GNR music with that band.

Yes, he said that he doesn't have to play GN'R songs on the solo tour. He's playing them with GN'R plus they have enough material from his solo albums.

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

Yes, he said that he doesn't have to play GN'R songs on the solo tour. He's playing them with GN'R plus they have enough material from his solo albums.

/jarmo

I think that's great news - and means that if he comes to my country, I'll go and see him, although I'd be amazed if SCOM doesn't sneak it's way into the set somewhere though!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2018, 02:15:19 AM »

Oh, of course. Who knows what Axl's input would have added. But even without that, I think it's already good enough that most people would call it a classic Guns album just with Axl singing the existing melodies and lyrics. And not every song would have been entirely different. Axl didn't change any major parts of Coma or Don't Damn Me, he just wrote lyrics to the music which was pretty much complete. I think the same would go for any Slash rocker like Life's Sweet Drug. And it just has that Guns style rhythm and groove.

I don't really see the praise for that album. I mean, I bought both, and it's OK, but the first was way better I thought. Weirdly at the time I didn't like them much at all, and thought they were pretty dull, formulaic rock. I like them much more now than I ever did at the time (I dug them out of my collection about 3 years ago). Perhaps they work better as 'archive' pieces, rather than at the time? Or perhaps when they came out, there were a lot of very exciting new rock bands coming through to take up my time....now there's not so many, so I'm not comparing as much?

I don't know that it ever got much praise outside Slash fans. The album was a commercial flop because the record company releasing it was a disaster. And it didn't help that Slash was near death on the tour.

But it was also more diverse than it gets credit for. I love the 1st Snakepit album, too, but that is more of a one-trick pony where Slash indulges in his love of hard rock. ALG has some funk and soul elements (Been There Lately, The Truth), a ballad (Back to the Moment), jazzy/big band elements (title track), some heavier tracks (Speed Parade, Serial Killer) and whatever you'd classify Just Like Anything as, it's one of the best songs Slash has ever written, hands down.

Even the outtakes were killer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIzTr87Qc8
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:22:57 AM by PermissionToLand » Logged

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »

Oh, of course. Who knows what Axl's input would have added. But even without that, I think it's already good enough that most people would call it a classic Guns album just with Axl singing the existing melodies and lyrics. And not every song would have been entirely different. Axl didn't change any major parts of Coma or Don't Damn Me, he just wrote lyrics to the music which was pretty much complete. I think the same would go for any Slash rocker like Life's Sweet Drug. And it just has that Guns style rhythm and groove.

I don't know that it ever got much praise outside Slash fans. The album was a commercial flop because the record company releasing it was a disaster. And it didn't help that Slash was near death on the tour.

But it was also more diverse than it gets credit for. I love the 1st Snakepit album, too, but that is more of a one-trick pony where Slash indulges in his love of hard rock. ALG has some funk and soul elements (Been There Lately, The Truth), a ballad (Back to the Moment), jazzy/big band elements (title track), some heavier tracks (Speed Parade, Serial Killer) and whatever you'd classify Just Like Anything as, it's one of the best songs Slash has ever written, hands down.

Even the outtakes were killer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIzTr87Qc8

ALG is an AMAZING ALBUM, one of the best records ever made by Slash.

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2018, 09:02:12 AM »

Back to the topic I have my fingers crossed for a 2020 release (maybe and hopefully a single next year)

What I'd love to get on a new Guns n' Roses album is something plural, writing input from everyone, not only Axl's stuff. In a perfect world to me it would be great: 2 or 3 Duff's, 3 or 4 Slash's, 3 or 4 Axl's, 1 from Richard, maybe 1 from Dizzy/Melissa and 4 or 5 songs written together at their rehearshal or studio. Obviously when I mention a song from any of them I mean a song mainly written by that one but with arrengement and input from the rest of the guys in the band
I mean, They'll probably start showin' each other their own stuff if they haven't done yet

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2018, 11:06:59 AM »

Axl, Slash & sometimes with Duff wrote Coma, Locomotive, Civil War, Don't Damn Me...so we can be confident, I think.
hoping Izzy, Chris Weber, Paul Tobias or West Arkeen will not be mised that much.

I hope they'll find the correct vibe with the good producer...that may be the most difficult part.

I'd love to see them working with Alan Parsons, Bob Ezrin Mutt Lange or Tony Visconti, for example...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »

Axl, Slash & sometimes with Duff wrote Coma, Locomotive, Civil War, Don't Damn Me...so we can be confident, I think.
hoping Izzy, Chris Weber, Paul Tobias or West Arkeen will not be mised that much.

I hope they'll find the correct vibe with the good producer...that may be the most difficult part.

I'd love to see them working with Alan Parsons, Bob Ezrin Mutt Lange or Tony Visconti, for example...

West is dead

and Paul Tobias? what did the guy write for Guns?

Izzy or Weber contributions would be great to me, but I think all of them have lots of great material for an album

DeN
Legend

« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2018, 04:11:42 PM »

West is dead

I know, it's a good point to not see him coming back writing some tunes, right?

and Paul Tobias? what did the guy write for Guns?

he co-wrote some little things like Oh My God, Back of Bitch, Prostitute, Chinese Democracy, Catcher in the Rye, I.R.S., Shadow of Your Love...

Izzy or Weber contributions would be great to me, but I think all of them have lots of great material for an album

I hope.

Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »

Hold your horses, guys. It sounds funny to talk about faxes but there was just an article how they are becoming a little popular again and why.

The reason is online security. It is not very easy to hack into a fax machine.

Anything is possible, didn't you also buy some vinyls lately (I did) beer
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »

Hold your horses, guys. It sounds funny to talk about faxes but there was just an article how they are becoming a little popular again and why.

The reason is online security. It is not very easy to hack into a fax machine.

Anything is possible, didn't you also buy some vinyls lately (I did) beer
Huh Huh

DeN
Legend

« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »

who needs faxes when you have Powerpoint?  peace

(faux leak allusion intended)

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »

Some GN'R mentions from a new Slash interview.
Full article: https://www.laweekly.com/music/slash-is-still-living-the-dream-9798219

Slash Is Still Living the Dream
Brett Callwood | September 5, 2018 | 8:00am

That brings us neatly to the subject of Guns N' Roses, who will kick off the next leg of their international tour in November. Slash is fairly confident that the band will continue as a working entity for the foreseeable future, saying, "I feel pretty optimistic that we'll get something going sooner than later." He stops short of confirming there will be a new record, but he does so with a twinkle in his eye.

-----

But they're a hard-hitting, monstrous rock & roll band again. It has surprised fans and critics, however, just how many songs from Chinese Democracy, the album Axl's GNR recorded minus Slash and Duff, have been in the set.

"They're good songs, but they're different guitar playing–wise, obviously," Slash says. "It was fun to do. I think that was really interesting for me. All things considered, I know how 'Paradise City' goes. I improvise a lot within the context of the songs, but there's only so much I can do with that, inside of that arrangement. The same with 'Welcome to the Jungle,' and any number of old Guns songs. It was fun to take on the Chinese Democracy stuff because it was all new for me. I thought we really sounded good doing it."

Slash also has enjoyed forging a guitar partnership with Fortus, somebody he describes as "awesome." Which is great because, let's face it, it could all have been a bit awkward.

"He and I complement each other really well," Slash says. "I think Rich has brought out some of my best guitar playing, just playing with him, because he's so accomplished technically and all that. We wanted to get it focused more in a feel for what Appetite really sounded like. We just slowly but surely evolved into something that captured that but still seems new and fresh. It's been an interesting ride and a lot of fun."

"There's a reason that Slash is a legend," Fortus says. "As a guitarist, the players that I always held in the highest regard are those that took chances. Those that stretched out every night and never played the same thing twice. Hendrix, Beck, Van Halen — those guys kept pushing and stretching their limits on a nightly basis. Slash is exactly that. I have the incredible good fortune of being able to listen to him nightly and stand inches from him, and have a musical conversation with him. He's definitely made me a better musician."

On paper, none of it should have worked. People left, people were fired. Some people were brought back, others weren't. Some people remained from the interim version, others didn't. Slash admits that making it all happen was a bit chaotic, but somehow the whole thing has not only worked but thrived.

https://www.laweekly.com/music/slash-is-still-living-the-dream-9798219

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »

Wonder if there's tentative plans within the Guns camp to record in 2019.  I would imagine they'd want to schedule studio time well in advance and start sorting out what tracks Slash will record on and all that.

I don't see Axl doing any major recording given all that he has in the can already, but who knows?
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »

It is almost certain that whatever they release will more than likely underwhelm...

So for that reason they'll take their time if they ever do anything I think. If it isn't out by 2020, then it isn't come out I think.

Then again, they could put out a killer album at the same time. My expectations for a new album would be quite high. I'd expect something better than Chinese, but something on par with UYI. At least that.

Honestly? I just want a UYI box set of demos.. unreleased this and that. I want stuff with Steven on it as well.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2018, 11:34:30 PM »

Honestly if there is going to be a new album, I will have absolutely no clue what to expect. I don't think it would be something we could even talk about in terms of relationship to CD or UYI or AFD. I mean, just look at those three albums. The average person would think those were three totally different bands. Where the current lineups stands creatively, is an absolute enigma if you ask me.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: