Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55941 times)
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »

That's Guns n' Roses. The style develope from one album to another. And all the albums are great in their own way. All killers. I'm sure that's gonna be the case with the next one too.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »

Honestly if there is going to be a new album, I will have absolutely no clue what to expect. I don't think it would be something we could even talk about in terms of relationship to CD or UYI or AFD. I mean, just look at those three albums. The average person would think those were three totally different bands. Where the current lineups stands creatively, is an absolute enigma if you ask me.

I'm the average person, I know my sports but have never played any instrument.

My worry is that the supposedly forthcoming album will be too different to what was expected. Yes, us paying customers don't have any right to expect anything. It just wouldn't be good for the legacy. That is all good when band members do whatever other things they are working on but that shouldn't be seen too clearly on an album.

AFD can only be remembered and of course could never happen again. There is still a chance though to do something memorable for the future generations.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:53:18 AM by Lord Stan » Logged
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »

Yeah, I just want a album that is better than Slash solo stuff... which is "okay to good" but that's it.

I want something that is as good as Contraband or Chinese Democracy, which was a great album, but there's so many strings attached to it ya know.

LIke if CD had come out in 2002 or so... we'd be talking about that album in a much more positive light.

It's a great album, but so much drama and time is attached to it, so it gets pulled through the mud.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »

Yeah, I just want a album that is better than Slash solo stuff... which is "okay to good" but that's it.

I want something that is as good as Contraband or Chinese Democracy, which was a great album, but there's so many strings attached to it ya know.

LIke if CD had come out in 2002 or so... we'd be talking about that album in a much more positive light.

It's a great album, but so much drama and time is attached to it, so it gets pulled through the mud.

Slash's solo stuff is more than ok to good. It's badass and genuine hard rock and fuckin roll guitar driven music. That's what Guns were back in the day if someone here has forgotten

Anyway, back to the topic, I'm pretty confident that if they do a new album together it will be something collaborative, something with ideas from everyone. They all know their role in the band, the stars are Axl and Slash with Duff next to them. The rest of the band are obviously great musicians and can bring some ideas too, work as a band on arrangements... but the main writers and the main focus are the BIG 3: Axl, Slash and Duff. It's similar to when you think about Stones, you instantly think about Jagger and Richards and maybe Ron Wood 
I think that if they get to work together on a new album, it will be something collaborative with ideas from everyone, specially from Axl, Slash and Duff

If Axl wants Slash and Duff to work only on his stuff, I'm sure they will thank and decline the offer. They never worked on an album that way and I don't think they pretend to do it now. To sum it up, work on ideas from all of them or nothing, that's my bet  beer
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:32:16 PM by DAVE ROCK » Logged

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2018, 08:25:05 AM »

It is impossible for anyone to predict how good (or average) a new album will be, assuming there is one, because there are so many variables at play.
One variable is whether the music in Axl's "vault" fits well with the style and skills of the rest of the current band. A second variable is whether Slash and Duff will even like the vault music and want to play it. A third variable is whether Slash and Duff may retain their best ideas for their solo projects, or, in the case of Slash, for Myles and the Conspirators. We'll see what happens, but personally I would be surprised if Slash terminates SMKC They are on kickass band that is really tight. There are likely to be long down periods with GNR during which Slash will want to be busy since that is who he is, so there is at least a chance he may keep his best song ideas to himself rather than give them up for a new GNR album.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »

there is at least a chance he may keep his best song ideas to himself rather than give them up for a new GNR album.

You mean he'd write a killer riff, and go "this is too good for GN'R, I'll keep it for myself"?

Makes no sense.

Especially considering if that riff turns into  a GN'R song, then is recorded and released as a GN'R song, chances are more people will pay attention to it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »

there is at least a chance he may keep his best song ideas to himself rather than give them up for a new GNR album.

You mean he'd write a killer riff, and go "this is too good for GN'R, I'll keep it for myself"?

Makes no sense.

Especially considering if that riff turns into  a GN'R song, then is recorded and released as a GN'R song, chances are more people will pay attention to it.

/jarmo

To be honest, that's what killed the Wu Tang Clan. They all refused to share anything good because they wanted it for their solo albums.

This is different though for sure. I don't think anything Slash has released so far would remotely work as something GNR could record. Two totally different beasts.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:10:08 AM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »

Makes no sense.

/jarmo

Actually, it makes all the sense in the world. It's the difference between private property and collective property. People are always more motivated by what is "mine" rather than what is "ours." If Slash maintains his solo career, it is human nature to want to keep the "mine" over "theirs."

And I don't think the conversation with self would go as you suggest. It would more like "I like this song so much I think I prefer to put it on my next record."

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »

Makes no sense.

/jarmo

Actually, it makes all the sense in the world. It's the difference between private property and collective property. People are always more motivated by what is "mine" rather than what is "ours." If Slash maintains his solo career, it is human nature to want to keep the "mine" over "theirs."

And I don't think the conversation with self would go as you suggest. It would more like "I like this song so much I think I prefer to put it on my next record."

But it depends on how Slash views his role in GNR. If he felt acrimonious towards it, or that it wasn't 'his' in some way, then you could understand keeping things for himself. If he considers it 'his' band, and something he has a strong vested interest and pride in...then he's going to give it everything.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »

Still find it hard to believe. "I'll keep this to myself just to have it for myself, even though it means less people will probably hear it".

Now, if the reason was that it was a finished song that he didn't want any changes to, ok. That's different. The song is done, it's the way he thinks it should be. Then maybe.... Unless it was so amazing that he wanted the rest of GN'R to record it.

If the idea of having the song to himself, then maybe he wouldn't even need to record it. Just keep it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »

Still find it hard to believe. "I'll keep this to myself just to have it for myself, even though it means less people will probably hear it".

Now, if the reason was that it was a finished song that he didn't want any changes to, ok. That's different. The song is done, it's the way he thinks it should be. Then maybe.... Unless it was so amazing that he wanted the rest of GN'R to record it.

If the idea of having the song to himself, then maybe he wouldn't even need to record it. Just keep it.

/jarmo

Success in GNR can only help Slash's solo efforts, so while it may be true that fewer people may hear a song that Slash kept to himself, fewer does not necessarily mean a small number.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2018, 02:42:26 PM »

Makes no sense.

/jarmo

But it depends on how Slash views his role in GNR. If he felt acrimonious towards it, or that it wasn't 'his' in some way, then you could understand keeping things for himself. If he considers it 'his' band, and something he has a strong vested interest and pride in...then he's going to give it everything.

I think you overvalue altruism and undervalue self-interest.

And speaking of 'his', do you mean ownership? We have heard nothing that Axl has given up full ownership of GNR and has agreed to divide it with Slash and/or Duff.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »

Makes no sense.

/jarmo

I think you overvalue altruism and undervalue self-interest.

And speaking of 'his', do you mean ownership? We have heard nothing that Axl has given up full ownership of GNR and has agreed to divide it with Slash and/or Duff.

I'm not talking about ownership no. I'm talking about artistic attachment and personal pride. Altruism doesn't come into it really. We're talking commercial recordings, not charity! I know nothing about their business dealings in regards to ownership or finances: as a fan, that's pretty irrelevant to me. The end product is what matters. I don't need to know the way my local pub operates it's business/finances behind the scenes as long as it serves me a decent pint and I like visiting: I largely apply the same to GNR.

It's crazy to suggest that Slash might be so self interested that he'd rather use his best stuff for his solo career. Why would he? What would his motivation be? There's more interest in GNR.  Why would he want to squirrel away his best material for a smaller audience?

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2018, 04:45:40 PM »

Honestly if there is going to be a new album, I will have absolutely no clue what to expect.
I don't think it would be something we could even talk about in terms of relationship to CD
or UYI or AFD. I mean, just look at those three albums. The average person would think
those were three totally different bands. Where the current lineups stands creatively, is
an absolute enigma if you ask me.

that's funny because even with a major lineup change to say the least I see a lot of similarities
between some of UYI's material and CD songs...frankly, Madagascar, The Bl...Street of Dreams,
Sorry, There Was a Time, and This I Love are not that different than some of the UYI material.

we can expect to have some other great tunes in that genre from Axl...from Slash some more
direct hard rock blues and from Duff some cool punk stuff. It's not like they turned Dubstep or
experimental.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2018, 10:35:34 PM »

Honestly if there is going to be a new album, I will have absolutely no clue what to expect.
I don't think it would be something we could even talk about in terms of relationship to CD
or UYI or AFD. I mean, just look at those three albums. The average person would think
those were three totally different bands. Where the current lineups stands creatively, is

that's funny because even with a major lineup change to say the least I see a lot of similarities
between some of UYI's material and CD songs...frankly, Madagascar, The Bl...Street of Dreams,
Sorry, There Was a Time, and This I Love are not that different than some of the UYI material.

we can expect to have some other great tunes in that genre from Axl...from Slash some more
direct hard rock blues and from Duff some cool punk stuff. It's not like they turned Dubstep or
experimental.

Obviously the genre will be the same, more or less. I'm talking about the songwriting. Slash's riffs on World on Fire were nothing like AFD or UYI. And I have to disagree that anything but TIL (because it was written in 1993) would fit on UYI.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2018, 07:48:31 AM »

experimental.

Obviously the genre will be the same, more or less. I'm talking about the songwriting. Slash's riffs on World on Fire were nothing like AFD or UYI. And I have to disagree that anything but TIL (because it was written in 1993) would fit on UYI.

I think the problem is that people think writing music is as easy as putting them all in a room, giving it a few weeks, and waiting for results. Creativity really doean't work like that. These people haven't written together in many many years and it's absolutely impossible to know what they would come up with. Many people seem think it's a case of Slash just aticking down some guitar parts and Axl singing over the top. The writing process cohld take years- and the results still not be satisfactory to all members.

Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »

Umm. Seems to be a lot of talk about Slash and AFD, comparisons and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Izzy have a way more important role in writing the songs than Slash? So really we can’t compare Slash’s stuff to AFD (and most of UYI too), because it isn’t his...

Personally, I think Slash writes decent rnr but lacks the magic Axl and Izzy have for making songs. I also think Contraband was a lot better than his solo stuff, probably because off it being a more band effort.

A new GNR record? It could be great with some Axl masterpieces and Slash touches (NR, Estranged,...Slash’s solos MAKE those songs), a few Duff tracks and other band efforts; but I don’t see Slash ever creating masterpieces by writing them himself.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2018, 01:25:06 PM »

Umm. Seems to be a lot of talk about Slash and AFD, comparisons and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Izzy have a way more important role in writing the songs than Slash? So really we can’t compare Slash’s stuff to AFD (and most of UYI too), because it isn’t his...

Dude, you talk about Hollywood Rose to people and they don't know what you're talking about. Slash came in and everything clicked. Im not saying Izzy didnt bring it, but to say AFD isnt Slash's like he had nothing to do with it is just insane. Izzy's solo stuff has like one good song, and even though chinese democracy was very much flawed, sabotaged and overtinkered, I think he was the one who got the closest to the epicness of GNR.

I think people like to put Izzy on a pedestal just because he was the handsome quiet type. But truth is, GNR music was never handsome nor quiet.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »

I do think there's one good observation made in this thread.

If GNR members are going to act selfish it won't work.

Will they won't they ? I don't know.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »

Not at all saying it isn’t part Slash’s, just that again it was the band and I think Slash writes better in a band environment or complementing Axl for example, than writing by himself.

As you said, with Slash everything clicked. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he has ever written a masterpiece on his own; I’m not slating him, just saying it’s not his role/job. He writes good rnr songs and makes what other people write (specially with Axl) way better 😊
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: