Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55929 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »

Not at all saying it isn’t part Slash’s, just that again it was the band and I think Slash writes better in a band environment or complementing Axl for example, than writing by himself.

As you said, with Slash everything clicked. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he has ever written a masterpiece on his own; I’m not slating him, just saying it’s not his role/job. He writes good rnr songs and makes what other people write (specially with Axl) way better 😊

Have any of them ? Chidem is not a masterpiece. Even Madagascar or Twat are not masterpieces, they could've been under different circumstances. For example, Axl keeping the rock in rio vocals instead of going for raspy constipated. Twat comes close, but the vocals at the beginning sound off. And even if they were, Buckethead was there for the epic solos, so even if they were a masterpiece, Axl didnt create them on his own.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Not at all saying it isn’t part Slash’s, just that again it was the band and I think Slash writes better in a band environment or complementing Axl for example, than writing by himself.

As you said, with Slash everything clicked. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he has ever written a masterpiece on his own; I’m not slating him, just saying it’s not his role/job. He writes good rnr songs and makes what other people write (specially with Axl) way better 😊

Have any of them ? Chidem is not a masterpiece. Even Madagascar or Twat are not masterpieces, they could've been under different circumstances. For example, Axl keeping the rock in rio vocals instead of going for raspy constipated. Twat comes close, but the vocals at the beginning sound off. And even if they were, Buckethead was there for the epic solos, so even if they were a masterpiece, Axl didnt create them on his own.

We all have different opinions and I get what your saying.

In my opinion, TWAT and TIL for example are masterpieces. Buckethead and Fink made them better, just like Slash did with November Rain, Estranged and so many others. However, I consider those 4 songs masterpieces even before. We may differ on TWAT, TIL and maybe Estranged, but just listen to the NR piano demo...it is a masterpiece.

Are there any songs that Slash has written like that? (Debating, not slating Slash, I’m definitely not a Slash hater 😂)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »

In my opinion, TWAT and TIL for example are masterpieces. Buckethead and Fink made them better, just like Slash did with November Rain, Estranged and so many others. However, I consider those 4 songs masterpieces even before. We may differ on TWAT, TIL and maybe Estranged, but just listen to the NR piano demo...it is a masterpiece.

Are there any songs that Slash has written like that? (Debating, not slating Slash, I’m definitely not a Slash hater 😂)

Well, we could debate all day about what makes an individual masterpiece. Is a demo a masterpiece? Demo=unfinished. Masterpiece=perfect (thus finished).
Moreover, can one create a masterpiece if one does not sing and play an instrument. Axl can sing and play the piano. Slash doesnt sing. However, we could also say his godfather theme take is a masterpiece. No need of a singer there. He didnt write it per se, but his interpretation could be called a masterpiece. Is COMA his masterpiece with Axl making it better just like Guitarists made Axls songs better?

You see, debates... points of view... sometimes its fun, sometimes its masturbation.

I think Dr alibi and We're all gonna die are perfect songs. Not a masterpiece because they are not epic. But perfect songs nonetheless. TIL may be closer to a masterpiece because its epic, but its not perfect, Axl's vocals sound lonely and work better with back up like they are doing now live with Miss Jumpy girl. Also, I think there is a recording, mistake that only lasts a second that prevents me from enjoying the song (I wont say which because I don't want to ruin it for people).

SO yeah... we blahblahblah  Grin :

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »

TIL may be closer to a masterpiece because its epic, but its not perfect, Axl's vocals sound lonely and work better with back up like they are doing now live with Miss Jumpy girl. Also, I think there is a recording, mistake that only lasts a second that prevents me from enjoying the song (I wont say which because I don't want to ruin it for people).

Yep that note on the solo is wrong  Wink
Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »

Well, we could debate all day about what makes an individual masterpiece. Is a demo a masterpiece? Demo=unfinished. Masterpiece=perfect (thus finished).
Moreover, can one create a masterpiece if one does not sing and play an instrument. Axl can sing and play the piano. Slash doesnt sing. However, we could also say his godfather theme take is a masterpiece. No need of a singer there. He didnt write it per se, but his interpretation could be called a masterpiece. Is COMA his masterpiece with Axl making it better just like Guitarists made Axls songs better?

You see, debates... points of view... sometimes its fun, sometimes its masturbation.

I think Dr alibi and We're all gonna die are perfect songs. Not a masterpiece because they are not epic. But perfect songs nonetheless. TIL may be closer to a masterpiece because its epic, but its not perfect, Axl's vocals sound lonely and work better with back up like they are doing now live with Miss Jumpy girl. Also, I think there is a recording, mistake that only lasts a second that prevents me from enjoying the song (I wont say which because I don't want to ruin it for people).

Yep, this is definitely becoming masturbation 😂
Going back to basics, I was talking about song-writing. I think you have the perfect example of what we could call a Slash masterpiece with Axl complementing: COMA. Personally, I don’t like the song, but so many Guns’ fans do, so...cool. For me, it’s a poor man’s Zeppelin track (waiting to be slaughtered), but ok.

So how many GNR tracks are like that? There are many Axl masterpieces (unfinished or finished, you must feel it, just a couple of notes...), shit loads of Izzy songs, riffs, structures, Duff, I just don’t think Slash, as a songwriter, has that impact.

Will look out for that TIL second...haven’t found it yet. Can’t find it in the guitars, few natural and characteristic strange bends, but part and parcel of Mr Finkster...give me a clue 😉
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »

Something to remember. The idea that Duff and Slash would put their stamp on songs Axl has written. It might sound odd. But that's pretty much what they did with songs like November Rain and Estranged. Those songs were written and then the rest of the band made it theirs....

They didn't sit in a room and write those songs together.... That's what I'm trying to say. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

Something to remember. The idea that Duff and Slash would put their stamp on songs Axl has written. It might sound odd. But that's pretty much what they did with songs like November Rain and Estranged. Those songs were written and then the rest of the band made it theirs....

They didn't sit in a room and write those songs together.... That's what I'm trying to say. Smiley

/jarmo

To me, Slash putting his stamp on The General is insanely cool.  Mostly because Axl said that it's the lyrical "sequel" to Estranged.  It's only fitting that Slash record guitar on this track is almost prophetic.  It could've come out any time as it currently is from 2009-2014, but it somehow waited for Slash make his mark on it.  Can't wait for that one.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »

/jarmo

To me, Slash putting his stamp on The General is insanely cool.  Mostly because Axl said that it's the lyrical "sequel" to Estranged.  It's only fitting that Slash record guitar on this track is almost prophetic.  It could've come out any time as it currently is from 2009-2014, but it somehow waited for Slash make his mark on it.  Can't wait for that one.

You sound confident we'll hear it there!

I'd happily take it as it is. We know it exists, it's been played to people.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »

/jarmo

Also, there's a aprox 10 sec clip that leaked.

But Jarmo is right, DUff and Slash's contribution on chidem era songs is not unnatural.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »

Yep, this is definitely becoming masturbation 😂
Going back to basics, I was talking about song-writing. I think you have the perfect example of what we could call a Slash masterpiece with Axl complementing: COMA. Personally, I don’t like the song, but so many Guns’ fans do, so...cool. For me, it’s a poor man’s Zeppelin track (waiting to be slaughtered), but ok.

So how many GNR tracks are like that? There are many Axl masterpieces (unfinished or finished, you must feel it, just a couple of notes...), shit loads of Izzy songs, riffs, structures, Duff, I just don’t think Slash, as a songwriter, has that impact.

Will look out for that TIL second...haven’t found it yet. Can’t find it in the guitars, few natural and characteristic strange bends, but part and parcel of Mr Finkster...give me a clue 😉

The one I talk about is not on the solo hahaha.

Btw, maybe you're just not Slash compatible. There's plenty of structures, solos, and licks that sound epic, and in my opinion more so than izzy's. Izzy is more like a good bass player, you don't notice him when he's there, but you take him off, and you notice his absence plenty !

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »

/jarmo

Also, there's a aprox 10 sec clip that leaked.

But Jarmo is right, DUff and Slash's contribution on chidem era songs is not unnatural.

Yeah- and to be honest it's something I'd kind of forgotten about- the idea that a colloborative approach is not neccesarily the dna of a lot of gnr songs.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2018, 02:00:08 AM »

Umm. Seems to be a lot of talk about Slash and AFD, comparisons and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Izzy have a way more important role in writing the songs than Slash? So really we can’t compare Slash’s stuff to AFD (and most of UYI too), because it isn’t his...

Dude, you talk about Hollywood Rose to people and they don't know what you're talking about. Slash came in and everything clicked. Im not saying Izzy didnt bring it, but to say AFD isnt Slash's like he had nothing to do with it is just insane. Izzy's solo stuff has like one good song, and even though chinese democracy was very much flawed, sabotaged and overtinkered, I think he was the one who got the closest to the epicness of GNR.

I think people like to put Izzy on a pedestal just because he was the handsome quiet type. But truth is, GNR music was never handsome nor quiet.

Thank you! It's getting really tiring how Izzy has become the signpost of GNR hipsters and has been blown up to be some kind of architect behind GNR all along. It's just ridiculous that anyone could believe this when you look at what they've all written outside GNR. Axl and Slash were clearly most of it.

Maybe not if your idea of a masterpiece is a ballad with piano. I would say Messages, Watch This, Nothing To Say, Saint is a Sinner Too, We Will Roam, Far and Away and Battleground were all masterpieces in my opinion.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:02:07 AM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2018, 05:41:57 AM »

I think it's very easy to paint Izzy as the 'hero' simply becauae he usn't around anymore. If he was, and Slash wasn't, you can guaranteee it would be the other way around.

His not being part of the band means his time is set in resin- perfectly preserved and without fault for the nostalgia hounds to fetish.

Not dissing the guy, as I like him, it's just the Kurt Cobain factor.No chance for people to snipe and see you get older if you're not around, so it becomes an ideal to many.

Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:54 AM »

Also, I think there is a recording, mistake that only lasts a second that prevents me from enjoying the song (I wont say which because I don't want to ruin it for people).

I also notice the recording mistake on my CD disc... my mistake!!!
When I first bought the cd I asked if the shop had a wrapped cd (the plastic see through wrap on the casing), and the worker looked at me very oddly, asking me why in the world would I need the plastic foil. So I said, never mind, I opened the cd and it dropped and scratched. The worker was probably laughing his head off, but I still have that glitch from the scratch on all my recordings of This I Love Smiley
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »

Also, I think there is a recording, mistake that only lasts a second that prevents me from enjoying the song (I wont say which because I don't want to ruin it for people).

When I first bought the cd I asked if the shop had a wrapped cd (the plastic see through wrap on the casing), and the worker looked at me very oddly, asking me why in the world would I need the plastic foil. So I said, never mind, I opened the cd and it dropped and scratched. The worker was probably laughing his head off, but I still have that glitch from the scratch on all my recordings of This I Love Smiley

My original cassette of UYI 2 cut out briefly during Yesterdays. Whenever I hear that song now I still expect a brief cut of silence exactly where it was! Doesn't feel right without it somehow! For years I thought that was how the song was meant to sound!

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »

I think it's very easy to paint Izzy as the 'hero' simply becauae he usn't around anymore.

Interesting point.

It's true that it's easy to say "It would be better with Izzy" because no one knows if it would be true....

Just talking about songwriting here.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »

I think it's depends of the nature of the track.

if you want to do an epic ballad or a punk tune, you don't really need his talents.
but if you want to do some straight rock n'roll or mid-tempo music a la Stones, well, better have him on boat.

that said, Richard is a massive player, probably underrated as a writer too...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »

I think it's depends of the nature of the track.

if you want to do an epic ballad or a punk tune, you don't really need his talents.
but if you want to do some straight rock n'roll or mid-tempo music a la Stones, well, better have him on boat.

that said, Richard is a massive player, probably underrated as a writer too...

I really really liked the Dizzy album too. Only got round to buying it a couple of weeks ago, but think it's great. On the strength of that he seems a great writer as well.

Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2018, 08:42:12 AM »

Umm. Seems to be a lot of talk about Slash and AFD, comparisons and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Izzy have a way more important role in writing the songs than Slash? So really we can’t compare Slash’s stuff to AFD (and most of UYI too), because it isn’t his...

Dude, you talk about Hollywood Rose to people and they don't know what you're talking about. Slash came in and everything clicked. Im not saying Izzy didnt bring it, but to say AFD isnt Slash's like he had nothing to do with it is just insane. Izzy's solo stuff has like one good song, and even though chinese democracy was very much flawed, sabotaged and overtinkered, I think he was the one who got the closest to the epicness of GNR.

I think people like to put Izzy on a pedestal just because he was the handsome quiet type. But truth is, GNR music was never handsome nor quiet.

Thank you! It's getting really tiring how Izzy has become the signpost of GNR hipsters and has been blown up to be some kind of architect behind GNR all along. It's just ridiculous that anyone could believe this when you look at what they've all written outside GNR. Axl and Slash were clearly most of it.

Maybe not if your idea of a masterpiece is a ballad with piano. I would say Messages, Watch This, Nothing To Say, Saint is a Sinner Too, We Will Roam, Far and Away and Battleground were all masterpieces in my opinion.

Will have a listen to those songs, but I did originally mean written by Slash in GNR.

Someone mentioned me ‘ not being compatible with Slash’: I love him as a musician, guitar player...just not as a songwriter...yet (I WILL listen to those songs) 😊
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »

My original cassette of UYI 2 cut out briefly during Yesterdays. Whenever I hear that song now I still expect a brief cut of silence exactly where it was! Doesn't feel right without it somehow! For years I thought that was how the song was meant to sound!

My original cassette of UYI had the tape folded during Don't Cry, which I think it read the other side on rewind, and it was very cool because it clicked and I liked it too. But The one I talk about isnt the same.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: