Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:01:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on possibility of new GN'R music: ' 'I Think Everybody Wants To Do It'  (Read 55951 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »

Umm. Seems to be a lot of talk about Slash and AFD, comparisons and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Izzy have a way more important role in writing the songs than Slash? So really we can’t compare Slash’s stuff to AFD (and most of UYI too), because it isn’t his...

Dude, you talk about Hollywood Rose to people and they don't know what you're talking about. Slash came in and everything clicked. Im not saying Izzy didnt bring it, but to say AFD isnt Slash's like he had nothing to do with it is just insane. Izzy's solo stuff has like one good song, and even though chinese democracy was very much flawed, sabotaged and overtinkered, I think he was the one who got the closest to the epicness of GNR.

I think people like to put Izzy on a pedestal just because he was the handsome quiet type. But truth is, GNR music was never handsome nor quiet.

Thank you! It's getting really tiring how Izzy has become the signpost of GNR hipsters and has been blown up to be some kind of architect behind GNR all along. It's just ridiculous that anyone could believe this when you look at what they've all written outside GNR. Axl and Slash were clearly most of it.

Not at all saying it isn’t part Slash’s, just that again it was the band and I think Slash writes better in a band environment or complementing Axl for example, than writing by himself.

As you said, with Slash everything clicked. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he has ever written a masterpiece on his own; I’m not slating him, just saying it’s not his role/job. He writes good rnr songs and makes what other people write (specially with Axl) way better 😊

Maybe not if your idea of a masterpiece is a ballad with piano. I would say Messages, Watch This, Nothing To Say, Saint is a Sinner Too, We Will Roam, Far and Away and Battleground were all masterpieces in my opinion.

Will have a listen to those songs, but I did originally mean written by Slash in GNR.

Someone mentioned me ‘ not being compatible with Slash’: I love him as a musician, guitar player...just not as a songwriter...yet (I WILL listen to those songs) 😊

But parts are written too. Who do you think wrote the Sweet Child or November Rain lead solos?  Those two alone are some of the most epic moments in GNR music.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »

Also, I think there is a recording, mistake that only lasts a second that prevents me from enjoying the song (I wont say which because I don't want to ruin it for people).

SO yeah... we blahblahblah  Grin :

I also notice the recording mistake on my CD disc... my mistake!!!
When I first bought the cd I asked if the shop had a wrapped cd (the plastic see through wrap on the casing), and the worker looked at me very oddly, asking me why in the world would I need the plastic foil. So I said, never mind, I opened the cd and it dropped and scratched. The worker was probably laughing his head off, but I still have that glitch from the scratch on all my recordings of This I Love Smiley

My original cassette of UYI 2 cut out briefly during Yesterdays. Whenever I hear that song now I still expect a brief cut of silence exactly where it was! Doesn't feel right without it somehow! For years I thought that was how the song was meant to sound!

My original cassette of UYI had the tape folded during Don't Cry, which I think it read the other side on rewind, and it was very cool because it clicked and I liked it too. But The one I talk about isnt the same.

Weird isn't it how these things become something you come to love?!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2018, 11:25:18 AM »

Umm. Seems to be a lot of talk about Slash and AFD, comparisons and so on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Izzy have a way more important role in writing the songs than Slash? So really we can’t compare Slash’s stuff to AFD (and most of UYI too), because it isn’t his...

Dude, you talk about Hollywood Rose to people and they don't know what you're talking about. Slash came in and everything clicked. Im not saying Izzy didnt bring it, but to say AFD isnt Slash's like he had nothing to do with it is just insane. Izzy's solo stuff has like one good song, and even though chinese democracy was very much flawed, sabotaged and overtinkered, I think he was the one who got the closest to the epicness of GNR.

I think people like to put Izzy on a pedestal just because he was the handsome quiet type. But truth is, GNR music was never handsome nor quiet.

Thank you! It's getting really tiring how Izzy has become the signpost of GNR hipsters and has been blown up to be some kind of architect behind GNR all along. It's just ridiculous that anyone could believe this when you look at what they've all written outside GNR. Axl and Slash were clearly most of it.

Not at all saying it isn’t part Slash’s, just that again it was the band and I think Slash writes better in a band environment or complementing Axl for example, than writing by himself.

As you said, with Slash everything clicked. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he has ever written a masterpiece on his own; I’m not slating him, just saying it’s not his role/job. He writes good rnr songs and makes what other people write (specially with Axl) way better 😊

Maybe not if your idea of a masterpiece is a ballad with piano. I would say Messages, Watch This, Nothing To Say, Saint is a Sinner Too, We Will Roam, Far and Away and Battleground were all masterpieces in my opinion.

Will have a listen to those songs, but I did originally mean written by Slash in GNR.

Someone mentioned me ‘ not being compatible with Slash’: I love him as a musician, guitar player...just not as a songwriter...yet (I WILL listen to those songs) 😊

But parts are written too. Who do you think wrote the Sweet Child or November Rain lead solos?  Those two alone are some of the most epic moments in GNR music.

Again...totally agree, and I mentioned that earlier. Maybe not SCOM. Wasn’t the intro something Slash used to play to warm up? Totally epic 👍
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »

I think it's very easy to paint Izzy as the 'hero' simply becauae he usn't around anymore.

Interesting point.

It's true that it's easy to say "It would be better with Izzy" because no one knows if it would be true....

Just talking about songwriting here.

/jarmo

Izzy’s solo records are pretty strong. Other than CD, I think his stuff stands up favorably to all of Slash, Duff, and Gilbys records. The first VR record is the only one that competes with Izzy’s solo discography. Personal opinion, obviously. But there’s also quite a few published reviews along the same lines. And let’s be honest, comparing CD and Contraband to Juju Hounds, 117, etc, is off base, considering how much production money went into those projects. So, when people talk about missing Izzy, it’s not necessarily some kind of air headed, follow the heard talking point. He’s got the goods.

I've seen enough.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »

Izzy’s solo records are pretty strong. Other than CD, I think his stuff stands up favorably to all of Slash, Duff, and Gilbys records. The first VR record is the only one that competes with Izzy’s solo discography. Personal opinion, obviously. But there’s also quite a few published reviews along the same lines. And let’s be honest, comparing CD and Contraband to Juju Hounds, 117, etc, is off base, considering how much production money went into those projects. So, when people talk about missing Izzy, it’s not necessarily some kind of air headed, follow the heard talking point. He’s got the goods.

Valid point. But the question remains whether or not his input would make the end result better. As long as we don't have anything to analyze, certain people will keep saying "yes, they need him". Smiley

For example, in my opinion There Was A Time is an amazing song. It wouldn't be better if Izzy was involved.... I like it the way it is....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »

Valid point. But the question remains whether or not his input would make the end result better. As long as we don't have anything to analyze, certain people will keep saying "yes, they need him". Smiley

For example, in my opinion There Was A Time is an amazing song. It wouldn't be better if Izzy was involved.... I like it the way it is....

/jarmo

For sure. Without question CD is the best of any post UYI album, solo, band, whatever category you want. I’m glad we finally got to hear it. But I think the reunion has brought almost everyone (save a small percentage of niche fans) back to the consensus that the original 5, working together, were collectively able to create the most powerful album any of them is associated with. So, again, I get that Izzy might not have the wow factor of Axl, but he also wasn’t just a placeholder. He  kind of represented where they all had common ground, and also yeah write some great songs, and contributed some great guitar parts to songs he didn’t write.

I've seen enough.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »

what is best that two childwood talented friends who writes songs together?
they're not in the same league, but think about, Paul McCartney & John Lennon for example...
no bullshit because you know each other very well, long experience at crafting things

but well, he chose to leave. in my opinion, even how hard it can be, you don't leave a band like Guns N'Roses.
everytime a guy chose to quit, Izzy, Slash, Duff, I thought "this is madness".

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »

what is best that two childwood talented friends who writes songs together?
they're not in the same league, but think about, Paul McCartney & John Lennon for example...
no bullshit because you know each other very well, long experience at crafting things

but well, he chose to leave. in my opinion, even how hard it can be, you don't leave a band like Guns N'Roses.
everytime a guy chose to quit, Izzy, Slash, Duff, I thought "this is madness".

Even they had their own arrogance and ego clashes.

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2018, 06:25:37 AM »

I think it's very easy to paint Izzy as the 'hero' simply becauae he usn't around anymore.

Interesting point.

It's true that it's easy to say "It would be better with Izzy" because no one knows if it would be true....

Just talking about songwriting here.

/jarmo

Are you high man?
Izzy's solo stuff (Which I have and I like) better than Slash's, Duff's?
Izzy stuff is good, but custom rock and roll. Tell me 5 AMAZING songs from Izzy. Of course he has got some good songs. Sweet Cares is pretty good. 

Slash wrote masterpieces like: Starlight, Nothing to say, By the sword, Slither, Just like Anything, Anastasia, Bent to fly, Beggars and Hangers on, You're a lie, Fall to pieces, Wicked Stone, Life's sweet drug ... as well as iconic riffs and solos for Kravitz, Jackson, Carole King...
Duff's Loaded have some great songs (specially on Sick album), His second solo album "Beautiful Disease" is a really really great album, his work with Walking Papers is classy, Neurotic Outsiders album is one of the strongest albums from a Gunner

I'm an Izzy fan too, but your statement lacks of sense to me

And for all those that are always sayin' Izzy and Axl were the main writers in the band and that Slash and Duff were not as important as them:
Slash wrote or co-wrote songs like: Civil War, Bad apples, Coma, Don't Damn me, Dust n' Bones, Garden of eden, Get in the ring, Locomotive, Perfect Crime and many more
Duff: So fine, Bad Apples, Civil War, Dust n' Bones, Get in the Ring and more

I know this is mainly an Axl's fansite (and I'm an Axl fan too) so there are many people here who like to bash Slash or Duff, but c'mon, Axl best moments are when he's with Duff and Slash, we all know. Together they shine
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:31:54 PM by DAVE ROCK » Logged

Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »

I’m a fan of the original 5 and what they did together from 86-89. I responded to comments that anyone wanting to see Izzy in the fold are superficial hipsters. I brought up his output, which I think is very solid. Slash’s solo stuff is what it is. I can usually enjoy listening to his guitar, but the overall songwriting and vocals don’t do much for me. I just prefer Izzy and don’t need a huge lecture on anyone’s opinion to the contrary. I already know everybody likes their own opinion. I just wanted to emphasize the significance of Izzy on the original sound of the band, and I used his solo stuff to support my position. No more, no less.

I've seen enough.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »

I see both points of view. Those who actually do like what Izzy has done and brought to the band.

But there are also those who are quick to jump on any bandwagon just because they can. Always something that's not to their liking....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »

I see both points of view. Those who actually do like what Izzy has done and brought to the band.

But there are also those who are quick to jump on any bandwagon just because they can. Always something that's not to their liking....

/jarmo

?!
ok Jarmo, whatever

your wise words are always a light among the darkness  hihi

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »

Always happy to share my wisdom!  Grin

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »

Slash on going solo, new Guns N' Roses and why that Axl Rose feud almost didn't end
Patrick Ryan USA TODAY
Published 10:17 AM EDT Sep 20, 2018

No, another Guns N' Roses album is not on the way – at least not yet.

"It's something that we would love to do," says lead guitarist Slash, who after two decades of strife with frontman Axl Rose, reunited with the group in 2016 for an ongoing reunion tour. "We just need to come together and start working that out, so it could definitely happen."

In the meantime, the 53-year-old rocker, whose real name is Saul Hudson, is gearing up for the release of "Living the Dream," out Friday, his third album with singer-songwriter Myles Kennedy and band The Conspirators. Largely written in 2014 and 2015 prior to the GNR reunion, and recorded this past spring, the album is "leaner" and "more uptempo," he says, than his previous studio effort, "World on Fire," which was "more densely populated with random riffs and had a lot going on."

Slash sat down with USA TODAY for a wide-ranging chat about the new music, the current state of mainstream rock, and the phone call that ended his feud with Rose.

Question: What's the significance of the title, "Living the Dream?"

Slash: It was just a tongue-in-cheek remark about domestic and global politics, but people have been looking into it as being something about what it is that I do. Which it applies, but that's not where it came from.

Q: Was any of the new music inspired by what's going on in the news?

Slash: This one is actually less political than the last one. It's more about personal experiences for Myles and a couple shared experiences, but not so much politics. But I did have to say something, so I titled the record the way I did.

Q: "Civil War" is arguably GNR's most political song. What do you remember about writing and recording that with Axl?

Slash: That was something I just came up with on acoustic and an idea that Axl had, and the two just came together. It’ll be interesting to see what's on the next Guns N' Roses record if we get around to doing that. I'm not wanting to be a political advocate myself, but it'd be interesting to see what Axl comes up with. He definitely is more outspoken in that area.

Q: For the first time this past year, R&B/hip-hop overtook rock as the most popular genre in terms of total consumption. How do you feel about the state of the genre?

Slash: Rock isn't mainstream anymore, and in some ways, I like that. It harks back to when rock 'n' roll was more of an underground concept, when people were speaking about things that they weren't necessarily comfortable saying in the mainstream arena. As far as hip-hop is concerned, it's become so generic at this point. It's definitely taken on a very top-40 thing.

Q: Who are some of your favorite rock acts right now?

Slash: I love Foo Fighters. My favorite band consistently has been Queens of the Stone Age because they always put out cool, interesting records. But I still listen to a lot of old stuff because the rock 'n' roll that turned me on as a kid, not too much of it exists.

Q: I understand that it was Axl who reached out to you a few years ago, after a couple decades of not speaking. Was that cathartic?

Slash: It was nice that it happened. I don't know if I would have had the wherewithal to call him, just because I'm introverted and it might have been hard for me. Not during that initial phone call, but after that, it was really good to be able to get rid of some of the negative baggage that we'd been carrying around for a long time. It'd been 20 years of not talking and letting this bad blood continue to be perpetuated by the media. It turned into something way bigger than what was really going on, so it was good to get past that.

Q: Do you regret waiting so long to make amends?

Slash: Things happen as they happen. I make it a point of not having any regrets.

Q: Revisiting GNR's catalog on tour, is there one fan favorite that you get sick of playing live?

Slash: No. Our approach to our material has a very devil-may-care thing to it, where you can make up (expletive) in the middle of songs. You just keep it interesting. It sounds the same to (audiences), but the way I’m playing it is different and that keeps me occupied. "Paradise City" is a song that you can play in a lot of different ways. So I've never fallen into that rut of resenting having to play a song every single night.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/09/20/slash-living-dream-guns-n-roses-and-axl-rose-feud/1356821002/

/jarmo

(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »

>>Q: For the first time this past year, R&B/hip-hop overtook rock as the most popular genre in terms of total consumption. How do you feel about the state of the genre?

Funny, I would've thought that happened in the mid to late 1990s.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2018, 12:25:04 AM »

>>Q: For the first time this past year, R&B/hip-hop overtook rock as the most popular genre in terms of total consumption. How do you feel about the state of the genre?

Funny, I would've thought that happened in the mid to late 1990s.

I'm guessing that has to do with the buying power of the respective audiences. Rock audiences are older and have more buying power. People who grew up in the '90s/early '00s on rap are just becoming adults now.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »

Slash on going solo, new Guns N' Roses and why that Axl Rose feud almost didn't end
Patrick Ryan USA TODAY

No, another Guns N' Roses album is not on the way – at least not yet.

"It's something that we would love to do," says lead guitarist Slash, who after two decades of strife with frontman Axl Rose, reunited with the group in 2016 for an ongoing reunion tour. "We just need to come together and start working that out, so it could definitely happen."

In the meantime, the 53-year-old rocker, whose real name is Saul Hudson, is gearing up for the release of "Living the Dream," out Friday, his third album with singer-songwriter Myles Kennedy and band The Conspirators. Largely written in 2014 and 2015 prior to the GNR reunion, and recorded this past spring, the album is "leaner" and "more uptempo," he says, than his previous studio effort, "World on Fire," which was "more densely populated with random riffs and had a lot going on."

Slash sat down with USA TODAY for a wide-ranging chat about the new music, the current state of mainstream rock, and the phone call that ended his feud with Rose.

Question: What's the significance of the title, "Living the Dream?"

Slash: It was just a tongue-in-cheek remark about domestic and global politics, but people have been looking into it as being something about what it is that I do. Which it applies, but that's not where it came from.

Q: Was any of the new music inspired by what's going on in the news?

Slash: This one is actually less political than the last one. It's more about personal experiences for Myles and a couple shared experiences, but not so much politics. But I did have to say something, so I titled the record the way I did.

Q: "Civil War" is arguably GNR's most political song. What do you remember about writing and recording that with Axl?

Slash: That was something I just came up with on acoustic and an idea that Axl had, and the two just came together. It’ll be interesting to see what's on the next Guns N' Roses record if we get around to doing that. I'm not wanting to be a political advocate myself, but it'd be interesting to see what Axl comes up with. He definitely is more outspoken in that area.

Q: For the first time this past year, R&B/hip-hop overtook rock as the most popular genre in terms of total consumption. How do you feel about the state of the genre?

Slash: Rock isn't mainstream anymore, and in some ways, I like that. It harks back to when rock 'n' roll was more of an underground concept, when people were speaking about things that they weren't necessarily comfortable saying in the mainstream arena. As far as hip-hop is concerned, it's become so generic at this point. It's definitely taken on a very top-40 thing.

Q: Who are some of your favorite rock acts right now?

Slash: I love Foo Fighters. My favorite band consistently has been Queens of the Stone Age because they always put out cool, interesting records. But I still listen to a lot of old stuff because the rock 'n' roll that turned me on as a kid, not too much of it exists.

Q: I understand that it was Axl who reached out to you a few years ago, after a couple decades of not speaking. Was that cathartic?

Slash: It was nice that it happened. I don't know if I would have had the wherewithal to call him, just because I'm introverted and it might have been hard for me. Not during that initial phone call, but after that, it was really good to be able to get rid of some of the negative baggage that we'd been carrying around for a long time. It'd been 20 years of not talking and letting this bad blood continue to be perpetuated by the media. It turned into something way bigger than what was really going on, so it was good to get past that.

Q: Do you regret waiting so long to make amends?

Slash: Things happen as they happen. I make it a point of not having any regrets.

Q: Revisiting GNR's catalog on tour, is there one fan favorite that you get sick of playing live?

Slash: No. Our approach to our material has a very devil-may-care thing to it, where you can make up (expletive) in the middle of songs. You just keep it interesting. It sounds the same to (audiences), but the way I’m playing it is different and that keeps me occupied. "Paradise City" is a song that you can play in a lot of different ways. So I've never fallen into that rut of resenting having to play a song every single night.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/09/20/slash-living-dream-guns-n-roses-and-axl-rose-feud/1356821002/

/jarmo

maybe that's what people call ''yanking solos'', its just Slash having fun playing with the songs.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »

Here are the GN'R parts of the article. Link to full interview below.

Slash Talks "Miraculous" Guns N' Roses Reunion, New Album, Lemmy's Death, More
Guitarist on GN'R's legacy, new music and 'Living the Dream' with Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators

-------

WITH GN'R, THERE'S A LOT OF BUILT-IN INTEREST AND EXPECTATION AS A GIGANTIC BAND. IT MUST CHANGE WHAT YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH.
Actually, with Guns N' Roses, it's sort of self-enduring, self-maintaining. It's relatively easy. We get together and we work and we get on the road and work our asses off. It's been a real simple touring experience. It doesn't require a lot of thought about how to this or how to do that. We just keep going.

-------

DO YOU WRITE SPECIFICALLY THINKING OF A PARTICULAR BAND?
What happens is that when I'm out with Guns, I'm completely focused on Guns. I'm not thinking about new material for the Conspirators. If I made up anything, it would be more for Guns N' Roses because it was in that time. But when we took that break, I switched gears and started thinking about the Conspirators and writing with that in mind.

-------

HOW DID GUNS GO ABOUT CREATING THE MASSIVE NEW BOX SET FOR APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION?
The box set was for the 30-year anniversary. We wanted to put everything in there that we're aware of. There was stuff we had in the can that no one has ever heard — plus some live stuff and different things that the band has done and put in this one package. It was fun to get all that stuff together. It was cool to sit there and remaster it and hear that stuff again for what's been years and years.

THE FULL-SIZED BOX ISN'T JUST MUSIC, BUT ALL THAT ARTWORK, JEWELRY AND MORE.
[Laughs] A lot of people were complaining about the price of it [$999], but there's so much stuff in there. And the box itself is this wood thing that's hand-done in leather. You can get all the material in a less grandiose package. It's really cool. For me personally, it was cathartic to get that stuff out there.

WAS THERE ANYTHING THAT YOU FOUND WHILE PUTTING IT TOGETHER THAT SURPRISED YOU?
There was some stuff from the Marquee [in London, 1987] — I never actually heard it until just recently. We'd just recorded the [debut] album. It hadn't even come out yet.

Another one of the things that was really cool was a song called "Shadow of Your Love" that we used to play in 1985. It was one of the earliest songs that we played together. It was part of the set back then, and as the Appetite lineup started writing those songs, it got phased out of the set and we didn't play it again for a long time.

We went into the studio with Mike Clink to see what that would sound like, that was the song that we did with him. That was the test track. We didn't put it on Appetite so it floundered all these years. To go in to remix and master that and release it after all this time — for me, it was, "Wow, this is a trip!" It's got a certain energy to it. You definitely get the spirit of the band from way back when.

THE FIRST THING GUNS N' ROSES DID AFTER REFORMING IN 2016 WAS PERFORM AT THE TROUBADOUR IN WEST HOLLYWOOD, WHERE A LOT OF YOUR EARLIEST SHOWS HAPPENED.
It wasn't even the gig so much as showing up for soundcheck and being in this venue that we got our start in. I have a history going back there to when I first moved to Los Angeles — 6 or 7 years old and going with my parents to see Linda Ronstadt. That afternoon loading in and getting set up for soundcheck, that was a very surreal moment for me.

A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE SURPRISED WHEN GN'R DID VELVET REVOLVER'S "SLITHER" THIS YEAR ON THE ROAD. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?
When we first started rehearsing, we had a pretty lengthy set list. And we had a list of songs which we called "alternative tracks." And "Slither" was actually on there two years ago, but we just never did it. And then we started rehearsing for this last European festival and stadium run that we did. Axl said, "Let's try Slither." We just fell into it and he really dug it.

But in a lot of ways for myself and for Duff, it also had a little bit of homage to Scott [Weiland]. All in all, it was a really cool and cathartic thing to go out and play that song after all these years — especially after losing Scott and playing it for all these people.

FOR A LOT OF BANDS THAT REUNITE, MATERIAL DONE WITH ANOTHER BAND MIGHT BE OFF-LIMITS. IT SEEMS TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE STATE OF GN'R THAT AXL WOULD SING A VELVET REVOLVER SONG.
There was a really great camaraderie from the get-go — since we got back together. It's been really healthy. Doing something like that is very much in line with how harmonious the whole thing has been. It's a little bit of a statement to how the band is working together.

YOU HAVE ANOTHER BAND, BUT AXL DOESN'T. SHOULD WE ASSUME THAT MEANS YOU WILL BE RECORDING NEW GN'R MUSIC TOGETHER?
We'll see what happens. It's really early to tell what we're going to do with Guns N' Roses and new material. We want to do something. We've been on the road this entire time. We have another leg coming up in November in Southeast Asia, Dubai and South Africa. Then we're going to start looking at what the next step is going to be.

------

Full article: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/slash-talks-miraculous-guns-n-roses-reunion-new-album-lemmys-death-more

/jarmo

Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2018, 06:13:54 AM »

-------

DO YOU WRITE SPECIFICALLY THINKING OF A PARTICULAR BAND?
What happens is that when I'm out with Guns, I'm completely focused on Guns. I'm not thinking about new material for the Conspirators. If I made up anything, it would be more for Guns N' Roses because it was in that time. But when we took that break, I switched gears and started thinking about the Conspirators and writing with that in mind.

-------

HOW DID THE NEW CONSPIRATORS RECORD COME TOGETHER?
I write when we're on the road in dressing rooms and on the bus — wherever I happen to sit for any span of time....

------

/jarmo

I wonder if Slash had an opportunity to happen to sit for any span of time on the road with guns for the two years... rofl
I guess I have to start saving for at least a triple album... beer peace
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »

"We have another leg coming up in November in Southeast Asia, Dubai and South Africa. Then we're going to start looking at what the next step is going to be."

European dates for next summer will be announced in February ok peace
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: