Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227798 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Poster Design Contest for AFD 30th
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poster Design Contest for AFD 30th  (Read 7675 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: August 10, 2018, 08:29:37 PM »

Guns N' Roses @gunsnroses

Show us what you got...
We want you, the fans, to design a poster to celebrate the 30th anniversary of #AppetiteForDestruction!
The winner will be announced on September 21st...
For more details and to enter visit: https://gnr.lnk.to/designcontest

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 06:01:55 AM »

That's a nice idea, let the fans do the work for them  hihi
I KNOW there are some creative folks in the fan base, can't wait to see what they'll come up with
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »

Congrats to our first winner, Nache Ramos! Design a poster and you could win an #AppetiteForDestruction Super Deluxe and more...
For details and to enter visit: http://gnr.lnk.to/designcontest

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »

I'm only one woman but I find that offensive and degrading to women.  I know they are all about Trump but have they not picked up anything from the me two movement?  Or they did pick up on that women just shut up and they can get away with it.  It's gone on for years so it must be okay right? 

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 04:08:56 AM »

I'm only one woman but I find that offensive and degrading to women.  I know they are all about Trump but have they not picked up anything from the me two movement?  Or they did pick up on that women just shut up and they can get away with it.  It's gone on for years so it must be okay right? 

Yeah, they picked up Asia Argento the pedo nympho harrasser... theres nothin degradin in that, it's just a poster, goddamn
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:14:30 AM by ITARocker » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »

Since it's a poster contest celebrating the 30th anniversary of AFD, I'm guessing it's just combining paying homage to the original album cover art by Robert Williams and the replacement skull artwork by Billy White, Jr.  I doubt any more thought went into it beyond doing just that.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:40:15 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

cineater
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »

Since it's a poster contest celebrating the 30th anniversary of AFD, I'm guessing it's just combining paying homage to the original album cover art by Robert Williams and the replacement skull artwork by Billy White, Jr.  I doubt any more thought went into it beyond doing just that.

I know it's a little thing and the artist was just going off of history.  But if thought went into One in a Million, thought could have went into this.  If I remember correctly there was a whole group of women in Vegas that had something to say about this sort of thing.  Not the first time it has been brought to GNR's attention.

But you know it's the world we live in.  The culture is not going to change overnight.  Take a whack at that brick wall everytime I go by.  Cheesy

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »

I know it's a little thing and the artist was just going off of history.  But if thought went into One in a Million, thought could have went into this.  If I remember correctly there was a whole group of women in Vegas that had something to say about this sort of thing.  Not the first time it has been brought to GNR's attention.

But you know it's the world we live in.  The culture is not going to change overnight.  Take a whack at that brick wall everytime I go by.  Cheesy

IMHO, in this particular case, you're overthinking the motivation/message being expressed.  Have you seen the "artwork" on some of the t-shirts Axl wears in concert??  Have you seen some of the "artwork" Slash posts on his instagram??  Yet you and I and a lot of other women are still here and wouldn't kick one or the other out of our bed if presented with the opportunity.

You lost me on the OIAM & Vegas references.  Obviously, I am familiar with the OIAM lyrics but, again in this particular case & IMHO, you're comparing apples to oranges. 

Sometimes, there's no ulterior motive other than to create a poster honoring the 30th anniversary of AFD.

P.S.  I thought it was quite clever to combine the two AFD cover artworks to create this poster.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:40:44 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:51:04 AM »

While I like the poster, I have to admit I'd cringed when I first saw it, it looks as if they were romanticizing the whole rape scene.
Other than that, beautiful artwork.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »

Funny Axl's shirts and Slash's instagram come up, so I'm not the only one, years of a slow burn on those.  Slash is a write off, Axl might be reachable, imo.  What some women will do to get in those two guys' beds, I'm just not sure who the victim is.

Anyway, I was thinking if GNR was any other business, it would be another round of sensitivity training after that.  We all get shamed in those.  nervous

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »

I presume you're aware of their lyrics, their artwork etc from the past? This is in keeping with all of that. This is a band that sing lines such as "turn around bitch I gpt a use for you" every night....which are applauded by everyone, maybe including yourself?

I can't see why this poster is offensive and degrading and other things aren't. People seem to want turn things into their own personal ideal- and in the case of GNR conveniently forget certain things to fit in with what they are comfortable with. This sort of imagery is what GNR are. Being into them as a teenager didn't make me a sexist or think lesser of women, nor would it now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:34:33 PM by allwaystired » Logged

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
cineater
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »

You mean "the way we've always done before"?  Grin  Always find meaningful lyrics in GNR tunes.

I've derailed the thread (yet again).  And I'm over it (for the moment).

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 02:33:09 AM »

The artist originally had the breast exposed on this poster but it’s now covered, it’s been changed since it was first posted. It is a cool poster but I too immediately thought it was a little offensive to women but I know what it’s about. I would say the artist was advised to cover the boob so they could offer him a prize.

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 03:47:15 AM »

Me, personally - I find it offensive only in the context of the original artwork.
But as I said, it is a beautiful piece.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 07:42:07 PM »

Congrats to the second winner of our poster design contest, DK13 Design! Submit your work and you could win an #AppetiteForDestruction Super Deluxe and more...

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »

Wow, these are insanely good.
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »

Congrats to our first winner, Nache Ramos! Design a poster and you could win an #AppetiteForDestruction Super Deluxe and more...

Love this
cineater
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 11:06:04 AM »

The Frank skull is great.  Cheesy

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »

Cool ones. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »

Congrats to the third winner of our poster design contest, Welikerock! Submit your work and you could win an #AppetiteForDestruction Super Deluxe and more...

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: