Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SLASH On Current GN'R Lineup: 'It's This Really, Really Well-Oiled Machine That'
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH On Current GN'R Lineup: 'It's This Really, Really Well-Oiled Machine That'  (Read 9046 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: October 16, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »

SLASH On Current GUNS N' ROSES Lineup: 'It's This Really, Really Well-Oiled Machine That's Super Functional'

October 15, 2018

Slash says that the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES is a "really well-oiled machine that's super functional."

Only rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler are missing from the classic GN'R lineup that recorded 1987's classic debut, "Appetite For Destruction". Slash, singer Axl Rose and bassist Duff McKagan are on board, fortified with a backing band of Dizzy Reed (keyboards), Melissa Reese (keyboards), Richard Fortus (guitar) and Frank Ferrer (drums).

During an appearance on the "Talk Is Jericho" podcast, Slash spoke about GUNS N' ROSES' "Not In This Lifetime" tour, which is now one of the highest-grossing in music history. The trek has seen the band, which was once known for tardiness and unpredictability, improving its time-keeping considerably, with Rose seemingly having toned down his famously fiery personality.

"The GUNS N' ROSES lineup that we've been doing this last couple of years with… It's sort of amazing, because of GUNS N' ROSES' history, but suddenly, it's this really, really well-oiled machine that's super functional," he said. "So the one thing you don't have to worry about is… It's like I walk into a room with me and the band and [we are about] to get to work, everybody is fucking ready to go. So that's a blessing, because when it's disorganized or not everybody is together, it makes it impossible to do this much work. So I don't have that issue to deal with, which is cool. And they don't have to deal with it with me either. [Laughs]"

Slash went on to say that it was nice to hear from Rose after they hadn't talked for 19 years following his exit from GUNS N' ROSES in 1996.

"There was definitely some new ground to cover as to some of the catalysts who were causing… And a lot of it was not really between he and I — it had to do with outside parties that were part of the entourage, so to speak — and that explained a lot," the guitarist said. "But then there was different things between he and I that we needed to talk about because of how we handled those outside influences. So it was just good that we finally did talk, because, shit, man — it was 20 fucking years that we did not say one word to each other… You're talking about two of the stubbornest people you could ever come across."

Billboard magazine reported in January that "Not In This Lifetime" had topped the $475 million mark in gross sales with the wrap of GUNS N' ROSES' 2017 touring schedule, making the trek the fourth-highest grossing tour of all time. Asked if the shows have turned out to be bigger and more successful than he anticipated, Slash told "Talk Is Jericho": "I think that was part of the beauty of it — I didn't have any expectations. I think it was more of a positive thing for me to go in and just be in a room with Axl and Duff and actually just play. And so that was in and of itself the coolest thing about it. And so the desire to go and do those couple of shows at Coachella and the warm-up shows, that was just gonna be a blast. It wasn't really about how big of a response there was gonna be or how well it was [gonna be received] — I don't think we were thinking about that. It was just fun to go out and get together and play. And then, all of a sudden, the response became something that we had — at least for me personally, I had no idea it would be like that. And that was throughout the whole tour. So it was pretty special."

While Adler made sporadic cameos throughout the "Not In This Lifetime" tour, the characteristically reclusive Stradlin has been absent from the trek, telling The Wall Street Journal that his non-participation was simply due to the fact that he was "not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process."

Slash addressed the decision to work with Fortus and Ferrer during the current tour, telling "Talk Is Jericho": "That's sort of a bigger subject considering all the different things that went on during that period of trying to figure all that out. But all things considered, when certain things that we were sort of trying to get sorted out didn't work out, Axl's band, that he had been working with literally for 15 years, and so I felt really comfortable with Richard, and Frank was great. So it didn't take rocket science to keep all that together. And just the other stuff that we were trying to do didn't work out. I'm not gonna get into all that though… Even [in] the '90s, we didn't have the original lineup. So it wasn't something that we were, like, going 'Oh my God' about."

Slash has praised his working relationship with Fortus, saying: "Richard's great. I don't know all of the guys that played guitar with GUNS prior to my coming back — I hadn't met any of them. Richard was the first one… he was there at [the first] rehearsal, and we hit it off automatically. He's one of those guys who's an amazing technician — he's very knowledgable about guitar techniques and all kinds of shit guitar. He's rooted in the same kind of rock guitar and same kind of influences that I am, so we spoke the same language. So, all in all, working with Richard was really a sort of boon for me, because I was doing my thing, and he was doing, on his side, covering it all and also sort of pushing me as a guitar player at the same time. So it's definitely one of those beneficial relationships that we established really early…. It's almost like it was… What's the best way to put it? It's sort of a 'meant to be' kind of thing, because if it would have been somebody else, it might not have worked. But it just happened to work perfectly from the moment I walked in."

The "Not In This Lifetime" tour launched in April 2016 with a nightclub gig in Los Angeles and shows no signs of stopping, with more dates booked in November.

Slash is currently touring with his solo band, SLASH FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY AND THE CONSPIRATORS, to promote the recent release of their new album, "Living The Dream".

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-on-current-guns-n-roses-lineup-its-this-really-really-well-oiled-machine-thats-super-functional/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »

Its true that Slash and 4tus works extremely well as a guitar duo.

Would be great to hear the full story of how close they came to have Steven and Izzy joining full time. Did they try to have three guitar players with Slash, Izzy and 4tus? (that would have been cool)

Anyway im glad Frank stayed behind the drums.
Also seems like the Pitman/Melissa thing was really last minute.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »

Fortus is, obviously, such a good guitar player, and more importantly a great team player. I suppose that Bumble and Stinson would have fitted in as well. I have grown fond of all the musicians that have been in GnR, especially Frank. I am not a musician, certainly not a drum expert, but I like how Frank sounds... probably a lot different than the three or four previous drummers, but that does not make anyone better or worse, just different styles and taste.
But it I hate reading the crap about Frank, or anyone else as a matter of fact, in the comments on Youtube... People can be so brutal. (That is not even talking behind someones back, but insulting someone in the face, just for not liking a song or something like that! Those comments are visible for everyone, therefore, for the artists too!) I had a chance to meet Frank, he seems to be such a great guy. I was surprised how, even he, a drummer in one of he most successful bands int the world, has a normal, down to earth life, when he is not on the road. Lives in New York, has a current job (GnR), earns just enough to pay the bills and stuff, enjoys a good glass of whine and hopes that he will still keep his job next year... Smiley beer 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »

I suppose that Bumble and Stinson would have fitted in as well.

Tommy, maybe.

Bumblefoot, I'm not so sure about that. He didn't want to be in the previous version of the band (2014). Why would he have liked to be in this one? He seems to be happy being the sole guitar player in his current band.

Can you imagine if what happened in 2014 was happening now? Him counting down the days on his Twitter until the tour ends and so on.

Not exactly what Slash would call a wee-oiled machine....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »

"Richard's great. I don't know all of the guys that played guitar with GUNS prior to my coming back — I hadn't met any of them. Richard was the first one…"

hmm?  Huh

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:21:55 PM »

Haha!

When was that?

Maybe he met Dj from Nikki's other band....

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »

Hopefully next year Slash & Richard can immortalize their sound together on new GNR record.
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »

Tommy, maybe.

Bumblefoot, I'm not so sure about that. He didn't want to be in the previous version of the band (2014). Why would he have liked to be in this one? He seems to be happy being the sole guitar player in his current band.

Can you imagine if what happened in 2014 was happening now? Him counting down the days on his Twitter until the tour ends and so on.

/jarmo

I thought Ron was your pal?

What upset him in 2014? He seemed happy on stage when I saw him.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »

What upset him in 2014? He seemed happy on stage when I saw him.

I don't know.

https://twitter.com/bumblefoot/status/440614047310807040

https://twitter.com/bumblefoot/status/451208856325349376

Things like that....

So yeah, I don't necessarily agree with the assumption that he would've been fine in the current line up...

/jarmo

(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »

I remember BBF made a big thing about how GNR didn't give him time to recover from his car accident. Dunno if that's when it all started, but he seemed to hold a grudge after that.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »

I remember BBF made a big thing about how GNR didn't give him time to recover from his car accident. Dunno if that's when it all started, but he seemed to hold a grudge after that.

Yeah, it seemed like he had a weird/strained relationship with the band from the beginning.  I think it was him who talked about being shit on and treated poorly by some of the guys (Finck and Stinson, maybe) when he first joined, and how it nearly came to blows before he was "accepted".  Interesting how that differs from his relationship with the fans.   
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 08:51:15 PM »

I was torn on Ron.

On the pro side, he seemed like the only one that didn't bullshit us.  It was through him that we found out that nothing new was ever done.  And I at least respected him being the only one that would come out and say what happened during those years was not normal.

On the con side, bit of an ingrate, you ask me.  Did you even know know who this guy was before Axl plucked him out of the chorus? I sure never did.  And while I couldn't tell you a Bumblefoot tune, I know there are people that could.  And the exposure he got to GNR fans sure helped on that front.  So I didn't get this put upon thing he had going on there as time wore on.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »

Tommy, maybe.

/jarmo

Had Bumble stayed..... We would probably just have Duff in the band.  I'm glad everything worked out how it did.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
cineater
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »

Yeah, about that well oiled thing.  Starting on time is good, not burning up the Dizzy and Melissa with the piro is good, got the music down.  I mean it's good but it's too good.  It's professional.  Can they fuck up once in a while?  Really miss Tommy, he took all the fun with him when he left the stage.  Not that he fucked up but he was fun to watch.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 02:17:02 AM »

Yeah, about that well oiled thing.  Starting on time is good, not burning up the Dizzy and Melissa with the piro is good, got the music down.  I mean it's good but it's too good.  It's professional.  Can they fuck up once in a while?  Really miss Tommy, he took all the fun with him when he left the stage.  Not that he fucked up but he was fun to watch.

I hear you, where's the raw GN'R we knew and loved?

*look at us, getting the band together and complaining about the shows being too perfect  hihi
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 02:42:22 AM »

"Richard's great. I don't know all of the guys that played guitar with GUNS prior to my coming back — I hadn't met any of them. Richard was the first one…"

hmm?  Huh

Maybe Slash was referring to the other players playing on the CD album, Bucket, Bumble? (Tobias  I guess he's met?  hihi) No need for him to interpret DJ's live contribution.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:44:45 AM by Sillything » Logged

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 02:53:27 AM »

Tommy, maybe.

/jarmo

Had Bumble stayed..... We would probably just have Duff in the band.  I'm glad everything worked out how it did.

Bumble started out great, atleast from a fan perspective. Impossible to know from the outside what the "camraderie" was like on the inside. But as early as 2010 he was turning sour. I met him in Helsinki  at a record signing he did and he was nice to me but he was openly ironic about whether the band were gonna start on time that evening. In fact I felt I had to tell him to chill about it because I would rather have a late show than no show. At the show, before it started he was up on stage pointing at his wrist watch and gesticulating, shaking his head to the crowd.

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 06:15:43 AM »

hmm?  Huh

Maybe Slash was referring to the other players playing on the CD album, Bucket, Bumble? (Tobias  I guess he's met?  hihi) No need for him to interpret DJ's live contribution.

Alice Cooper played guitar for Guns???  Shocked
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »

Tommy, maybe.

/jarmo

You are probably right, since you are surely more acquainted with the atmosphere in the whole GnR organization. But from the outside it seemed different...
First of all, now, the ambition of the band seems to be going somewhere, unlike the period between 2011-2015. CD was out and the 'New GnR' toured the world, for maybe the third time or so and news about the new album were, where they were back in 2008. We all expected a followup album, but in reality, nothing has happened. I'm sure Axl had his hands full and had big ambitions, but the rest of the guys seemed to tour, then rest, then tour, then rest, etc. It was probably their own fault for expecting something more than that, but it seems to me, that the lack of actual result is what wore and tore Bumble down.
In every team you have the quiet subtle guys, and opposite to them, the restless ones that do not cope well under strain, pressure and the waiting game. To me, Bumble seemed to be in a conflict of those two, between a hard working team player, respectful towards fans, etc. for a very long time, but then explodes when realizing plans have fallen apart. In that explosion he offends his team, the fans in a way, and ends up being far far away, fed up from the whole project.
This is my perspective of the very complicated life of GnR... I very well could have gotten it all wrong rofl beer
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

Never met Bumblefoot (or any of the members of the band - much to my constant disappointment!) but he always came across as a decent guy in terms of interactions with fans both online and in person. I liked, for example, that stage he went through when he hid signed albums around the venues for fans to find and discover: little things like that make things a bit different and interesting for fans.

There was obviously some sort of disconnect though; and I found that quite surprising as a fan, as I never got that impression when I saw him onstage. He always looked to be engaged and enjoying it.

Perhaps his way of working (which seems to involve a lot of recording and releasing music) just wasn't compatible with how GNR were operating? Who knows.

Really though, if he did have any complaints, he's been pretty quiet on the whole about them, which seems respectful enough. OK, there has been the odd suggestion he wasn't happy, but nothing more than that. I thought he brought a lot to the band, I loved seeing him live, and really, good luck to him.

In terms of him fitting in with GNR as they are now: no chance. Leaving aside any happiness/personality issues we may wish to speculate on,  his style I don't think would go with the band at all. He's got a pretty unique sound, and I don't think it could work alongside Slash really.

I wonder sometimes how close we were though to seeing multiple musicians going on tour (Duff and Tommy, Bumblefoot and Ashba etc) who played for some songs and not others. I find it hard to believe that had Bumblefoor and Ashba not chose to leave they would have been pushed aside for Slash; I think all of them would have remained, to some degree.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »

Never met Bumblefoot (or any of the members of the band - much to my constant disappointment!) but he always came across as a decent guy in terms of interactions with fans both online and in person. I liked, for example, that stage he went through when he hid signed albums around the venues for fans to find and discover: little things like that make things a bit different and interesting for fans.

There was obviously some sort of disconnect though; and I found that quite surprising as a fan, as I never got that impression when I saw him onstage. He always looked to be engaged and enjoying it.

Perhaps his way of working (which seems to involve a lot of recording and releasing music) just wasn't compatible with how GNR were operating? Who knows.

Really though, if he did have any complaints, he's been pretty quiet on the whole about them, which seems respectful enough. OK, there has been the odd suggestion he wasn't happy, but nothing more than that. I thought he brought a lot to the band, I loved seeing him live, and really, good luck to him.

In terms of him fitting in with GNR as they are now: no chance. Leaving aside any happiness/personality issues we may wish to speculate on,  his style I don't think would go with the band at all. He's got a pretty unique sound, and I don't think it could work alongside Slash really.

I wonder sometimes how close we were though to seeing multiple musicians going on tour (Duff and Tommy, Bumblefoot and Ashba etc) who played for some songs and not others. I find it hard to believe that had Bumblefoor and Ashba not chose to leave they would have been pushed aside for Slash; I think all of them would have remained, to some degree.

Well said, I agree completely.
Wasn't Tommy pushed aside for Duff, and DJ for Slash?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »

I don't know all the details, nor do I pretend to understand it all.

But looking at things, in my opinion of the three guitar players that were in the band in 2014, Richard is the perfect fit to be in the band now.

As I mentioned earlier, Bumblefoot was already acting in a way that I don't think would be described as well oiled, or smooth sailing... Just an observation.

If Dj had stayed, would he have liked to share the stage with Richard and Slash? I don't know. If he had stayed, would it have been as great as it's now? I don't know.
Although I suspect some would bring up the old "why do they need three guitar players" question if he had....  hihi

/jarmo

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »

Well said, I agree completely.
Wasn't Tommy pushed aside for Duff, and DJ for Slash?

I don't believe that was the case. From what I've gathered both chose to leave the band for their own reasons, personal or professional. I may well be wrong though.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

I'm sure it was frustrating for Bumblefoot ,Ashba and Stinson not to be doing new music no doubt they were advised by Axl and management to keep the pretence up that they were raring to go and they were working on ideas blah blah the way Duff and Slash are feeding the same mantra now ,whether the band continue in its current form next year is open to debate but I can't see Slash and Duff hanging around if they are to continue solely as a nostalgic act.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »

SLASH On Returning To GUNS N' ROSES: 'It Turned Out To Be One Of The Greatest Things That I Ever Did'

October 20, 2018

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash was recently interviewed by syndicated radio DJ Theresa Rockface. The full conversation can be seen below. A few excerpts follow (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

------

On GUNS N' ROSES playing the VELVET REVOLVER song "Slither" live:

Slash: "It was cool to do it. In a way, I think it was sort of cathartic for Duff [McKagan] and I to be doing it. Scott [Weiland] was always very supportive of the idea of GUNS getting back together, and I was such the anti-GUNS guy. I have to be honest. It was just me being stubborn and whatnot, so it was great being up there performing that song, something that we did with Scott, and [since] he had always thought that we should get back together, it had a combination of little things to it."

On why he's continuing to perform with THE CONSPIRATORS:

Slash: "I'd been doing this thing with Myles and the guys since 2010. That was basically what I was doing aside from different side projects. That was the main thing, so when GUNS came along, that was huge, and it turned out to be one of the greatest things that I ever did, but at the same time, I didn't want to quit this relationship that I'd established and the chemistry I'd discovered with these guys. Great chemistry with musicians doesn't happen very often. You're lucky to have it happen once, and I'm fortunate enough to have it happen twice. I wasn't going to disband that just so I could focus on GUNS full-time, because GUNS doesn't take up every hour of the day, and I will squeeze in those extra hours to do something working with Myles and those guys."

----

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-on-returning-to-guns-n-roses-it-turned-out-to-be-one-of-the-greatest-things-that-i-ever-did/

/jarmo

Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »

I hear you, where's the raw GN'R we knew and loved?

*look at us, getting the band together and complaining about the shows being too perfect  hihi

hihi peace

But really, that sort of comes to your mind a little sometimes. Like now this last leg I went to three consecutive gigs. It's like watching the same movie all over again but I don't mind.

I've seen this show seven times now and will go next summer if and when it's announced but let's see to how many.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: