Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's Next
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's Next  (Read 29745 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »

I guess the logic is that since there are more songs on those albums, there should be more of them in the setlist.... Then you either cut down on something else or do a four hour show...  hihi

I don't think too many of us would have been broken hearted to lose 'Wichita Lineman', 'Black Hole Sun' or 'The Seeker' for, say...'Bad Obsession', 'Dead Horse', or 'Locomotive'.

On the last tour, that wasn't really an option....

None of them were options. Unlike There Was A Time, Madagascar and so on....  Wink

/jarmo

.....and 'Oh My God', which seemed to be on all the alt setlists! I'm assuming that was some sort of in-joke to be honest though.......wasn't it?!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »

I guess the logic is that since there are more songs on those albums, there should be more of them in the setlist.... Then you either cut down on something else or do a four hour show...  hihi

I don't think too many of us would have been broken hearted to lose 'Wichita Lineman', 'Black Hole Sun' or 'The Seeker' for, say...'Bad Obsession', 'Dead Horse', or 'Locomotive'.

None of them were options. Unlike There Was A Time, Madagascar and so on....  Wink

Which only strengthens my argument, really.

UYI tunes aren't even in the conversation.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »

If you consider how long Coma, Estranged, and November Rain are plus a 10 minute KOHD, you have 40 minutes or more right there (plus-DTJ, YCBM, and LALD). Roughly one hour of the show is UYI.  Tongue

Good gracious, I forgot Civil War! In Hawaii, they also did Yesterdays......how much UYI do you want?  hihi
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:17:18 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »

If you consider how long Coma, Estranged, and November Rain are plus a 10 minute KOHD, you have 40 minutes or more right there (plus-DTJ, YCBM, and LALD). Roughly one hour of the show is UYI.  Tongue

Good gracious, I forgot Civil War! In Hawaii, they also did Yesterdays......how much UYI do you want?  hihi

Here's what you should know about D-Gen:

He's NEVER happy. Never.

That's just who he is, at least as a poster.

If there was more UYI, he'd start saying he wants new music.  If they replaced an AFD classic with new music, he'd complain about losing the classic. 

If they played every song in their catalog, in order(or even on "shuffle"), over 4+ hours...and did  it for an entire year of shows...he'd complain the set list was getting stale....and there was too much TSI.

Honestly, there's no use trying to convince him otherwise (just like he'll respond to this post with indignation and denial, likely).  My advice would be to enjoy what's making you (and a whole bunch of other people, honestly, if ticket sales are any indication) happy.  And let him do what obviously makes him happy. Giggle a little when you read his posts, if you have to.

Some people just aren't satisfied unless they have SOMETHING to complain about.  beer
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:22:51 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2018, 03:30:36 AM »

Which only strengthens my argument, really.

UYI tunes aren't even in the conversation.

Not really. Because as others pointed out, Yesterdays was among the options.....

The set was pretty balanced. A lot of songs from all the albums. Then some covers people didn't necessarily know, but they were introduced to thanks to GN'R.
Which is exactly what they've done over the years.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »

The setlist was incredible...just look at the last show...massive! The entire tour was well beyond what we could have expected. To date, it is maybe the second highest grossing tour of all time.  Shocked

Right now is the time to respect the achievement and have gratitude.

All I can comment on and compare is the show I saw in 2016 vs. the 7 UYI shows I saw on the Illusion tour. The 2016 show was hands down the best of the bunch.

As for the topic, I believe they intend to do what they say they want to do.....put together a new album.  ok
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:47:56 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »

During the chats in '08, didn't someone ask Axl if he was purposely omitting certain UYI songs? At the time, it was suggested that there may be legal reasons involving Slash for there being so few UYI songs in the setlist. But iirc Axl said that the reason the setlist was what it was (ie. AFD heavy), is because he thought that's what the fans wanted to hear.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »

This all stemmed from a conversation about how someone wanted an expansive UYI type box set of live material.

And all I responded with was that I considered it unlikely, given it was not Axl's favorite time and he calls the shots.  And the conversation went on from there.

That's all.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »

Here's what you should know about D-Gen:

He's NEVER happy. Never.

That's just who he is, at least as a poster.

If there was more UYI, he'd start saying he wants new music.  If they replaced an AFD classic with new music, he'd complain about losing the classic. 

If they played every song in their catalog, in order(or even on "shuffle"), over 4+ hours...and did  it for an entire year of shows...he'd complain the set list was getting stale....and there was too much TSI.

Honestly, there's no use trying to convince him otherwise (just like he'll respond to this post with indignation and denial, likely).  My advice would be to enjoy what's making you (and a whole bunch of other people, honestly, if ticket sales are any indication) happy.  And let him do what obviously makes him happy. Giggle a little when you read his posts, if you have to.

Some people just aren't satisfied unless they have SOMETHING to complain about.  beer

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10.

I *think* I know which number that is, but I obviously defer to you in such cases.

Is it 4?  It feels like it's 4.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »

The setlist was incredible...just look at the last show...massive! The entire tour was well beyond what we could have expected. To date, it is maybe the second highest grossing tour of all time.  Shocked

All I can comment on and compare is the show I saw in 2016 vs. the 7 UYI shows I saw on the Illusion tour. The 2016 show was hands down the best of the bunch.

As for the topic, I believe they intend to do what they say they want to do.....put together a new album.  ok

Oh, hands down the best tour they ever did.  It's the most competent and rock solid as the operation has ever been.

The UYI tour will always be my favorite on a personal level, I suppose.  But objectively, this tour was better given the professionalism and lack of drama and extraneous bullshit.

Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »

Oh, hands down the best tour they ever did.  It's the most competent and rock solid as the operation has ever been.

The UYI tour will always be my favorite on a personal level, I suppose.  But objectively, this tour was better given the professionalism and lack of drama and extraneous bullshit.

So was this objectively boring ok
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »

Hahaha, not at all.

I just meant that I grew up on the UYI tour, and more to the point, those bootlegs.  Spent probably 5 solid years of summers on the beach playing at least one a day.  So nothing was really going to be able to displace the strong memories I have built up over time.

But the tour was hardly without it's warts.  Axl's behavior was indefensible a lot of the time.  I know it was part of his schtick at the time, but did you really miss it these past few years?  He seemed like he was being forced onstage during the UYI tour at gunpoint some nights, and it showed.  NITL seemed to be a non-stop blast for him.

Was a welcome sight.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »

I *think* I know which number that is, but I obviously defer to you in such cases.

Sorry D-Gen.  It doesn't take reading your mind to come to those conclusions.  And I'm not telling you what you think.  I'm summarizing what you consistently say.  And all that takes is a passing familiarity with your posting history.

If you feel that's not a fair assessment....you've really only yourself to blame.

It is what it is. You are who you are. You post what you post.  You're a glass half empty guy...every day of the week,and twice on Sunday.  No matter what's going on in the world of GnR, we can always leave it to you to find the grey cloud.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:38:11 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »

But the tour was hardly without it's warts.  Axl's behavior was indefensible a lot of the time. 

I know very well what you mean, I was also a victim of that. My first gig ever, school night and only some fractious singer after midnight. But those are the memories. It was just so amazing and no other band could top this. Other gigs can but no other band.

I have paid a lot of money around Europe and I very much appreciate knowing when the show starts. I don't care so much when it finishes because there are always taxis available or in the summer you can just walk. It doesn't matter if it's an hour or two because I don't go anymore if there are some commitments the next day.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »

Sorry D-Gen.  It doesn't take reading your mind to come to those conclusions.  And I'm not telling you what you think.  I'm summarizing what you consistently say.  And all that takes is a passing familiarity with your posting history.

If you feel that's not a fair assessment....you've really only yourself to blame.

It is what it is. You are who you are. You post what you post.  You're a glass half empty guy...every day of the week,and twice on Sunday.  No matter what's going on in the world of GnR, we can always leave it to you to find the grey cloud.

Dude, I haven't even seen you around here in like, 2 years.  You really carrying all this around, sport?

Well, always nice to meet a fan.  #Flattered

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

Dude, I haven't even seen you around here in like, 2 years.  You really carrying all this around, sport?

Well, always nice to meet a fan.  #Flattered

I am here all the time, man. Soaking it all in.

Less a fan, more a history buff....but you dont need to read very much of your posting history to see what i'm saying is true. Its near constant pessimism and nitpicking and kvetching about one thing or another.

Just own it, man. Denial doesnt suit you. Its ok...you do you.

Anyway, this is off topic. i made my point to skydog. Mo Vaughn.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:21:05 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »

Any "history buff" would be able to tell you that since 2016, I have never had anything but positive stuff to say.  Because nothing but positive stuff was warranted.

Any "history buff" would probably (correctly) point out that I was often quite critical during the Island Of Misfit Toys Era.  As, in my view, any objective non-apologist fan should have been.

Any "history buff" should recognize...this wasn't yesterday.

Not sorry that I am not sorry that I can't relate to a marinated beef from the middle of Obama's second term.  If that makes me odd (somehow), then I'll wear that.  I'd certainly wear that before I wore the jacket with the long sleeves that I would be required to wear if I thought that made sense to any rational person.

Seek help. 

But I'm done with this.  Back to the music.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »

An actual sampling of those who are never happys posts that i have read in the past 6 months or so:

But theres no new music.

But theres not enough uyi.

But axl didnt sound note perfect from the albums every single show for 2 years.

But axl sounded better with ac/dc

But TIL sucks live.

But everyone goes to the bathroom during cd songs.

But izzys not there.

But adlers not there.

But guns n roses isn't a viable creative entity anymore

But..but....but...but...but....

There are always going to be people who live for the "buts". And thats not a "beef", its just history.

You can lend them credence, and argue with them, or chuckle and move on. I did the first for awhile...until coming to the conclusion it wasnt worth the words. They are literally HAPPY that way...so why take those illusions all away?

I'm with you. I never, ever thought I would see these guys reunite. I have LOVED following this tour, loved the shows i got to see, love the bootlegs and memories and pictures (thanks jarmo) and JOY I have gotten out of this band the last couple years. Its been a wild, amazing ride.

"Buts" just have zero meaning, and zero impact, right now, for me.  Let the "but"-heads have their say.....its what makes them happy. But, honestly, dont let them bring you down or pay them any mind. Enjoy your buzz! Smiley

On topic: whats next? I cant wait to see. I expect more shows...and maybe even new music, if Richard is to be believed. Let them have a new york minute to catch their breat, and we will see what happens. Its not a sprint.....and it doesnt all have to happen tomorrow,

Merry xmas and happy holidays, man! I hope they treat ya right!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:39:38 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2018, 04:36:12 PM »

Happy Christmas folks! Love you both....and your posts!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »

I don't like this. This is starting to sound like Civil War amongst us fans.

"I don't need your civil war
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
Your power hungry sellin' soldiers
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: