Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Happy 10 year anniversary “Chinese Democracy”
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy 10 year anniversary “Chinese Democracy”  (Read 11623 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »

Funny thing: CD is the last album I physically bought.

....and people wonder why the music industry is in trouble!

I think the operative word in ITA's statement was "album".  At least it is for me.

I don't download anything illegally.  But I also can't remember the last time I bought an album.  It was after CD....but not for the past few years.

I will occasionally buy single tracks, here and there.  But honestly, with Spotify Premium.....I can listen to just about anything I want without having to permanently buy anything. The subscription model works better for me....and I actually spend less per year than I used to on music (by a LOT)!  If there's something out there that I want 5eva, or that isn't on Spotify....I buy that. There's just not much coming out, for new music, I feel strongly enough about to buy an entire album.

Labels have killed the music industry.....and artists are realizing the best way to make money is to do live shows.  New music is just a way to promote those shows, really. 

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:00:35 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »

Such a good article... It kind of answers, or rather, sums up a lot of questions or empty spaces I had of that period.
I am a huge fan of Thommy Stinson's GnR era. He was there for a very long time... I hope that he and Axl are still in good terms and that hopefully we will see some of the -ex new band members in some form.
I did not know Atlas shrugged had leaked...I caught Going down though and I liked it a lot... If anyone did catch Atlas feel free to pm me  Grin beer
"Tommy Stinson, who says he hasn't listened to Chinese Democracy since he helped record it, provides his take on Axl's unfinished masterpiece: "All I can is…that record was not meant to be one disc." Chinese Democracy remains curiously incomplete, and though the numbers vary, there seem to be at least 60 different tracks that were at least partially finished when the first part of Chinese Democracy was released." 
and
"All of the material that hadn't been released was coming out in 2016, then, the reunion happened," says one source
 beer
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »

I had a dream two nights ago. After reading this article:

I went to a small record store and found chinese with the red hand cover (the one i use as a avatar) and due to a missprint This I Love was replaced by Atlas Shrugged.

I went home listened to it, and wondered how could i share what i found without getting in trouble so i came here in htgth. And asked Jarmo what should i do. At this point i woke up.  Cheesy

No Atlas Shrugged for now. As far as i know that song was never leaked, contrary to the article.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »

I went to a small record store and found chinese with the red hand cover (the one i use as a avatar) and due to a missprint This I Love was replaced by Atlas Shrugged.

I went home listened to it, and wondered how could i share what i found without getting in trouble so i came here in htgth. And asked Jarmo what should i do. At this point i woke up.  Cheesy

No Atlas Shrugged for now. As far as i know that song was never leaked, contrary to the article.

Nice dream! rofl
Jarmo, will you please finish the dream... Smiley
I suppose you are right. The odds that someone who visits a forum everyday, would miss something like that... unlikely! Smiley
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »

Nice dream! rofl
Jarmo, will you please finish the dream... Smiley
I suppose you are right. The odds that someone who visits a forum everyday, would miss something like that... unlikely! Smiley

Grin

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »

I think the operative word in ITA's statement was "album".  At least it is for me.

I don't download anything illegally.  But I also can't remember the last time I bought an album.  It was after CD....but not for the past few years.

I will occasionally buy single tracks, here and there.  But honestly, with Spotify Premium.....I can listen to just about anything I want without having to permanently buy anything. The subscription model works better for me....and I actually spend less per year than I used to on music (by a LOT)!  If there's something out there that I want 5eva, or that isn't on Spotify....I buy that. There's just not much coming out, for new music, I feel strongly enough about to buy an entire album.

Labels have killed the music industry.....and artists are realizing the best way to make money is to do live shows.  New music is just a way to promote those shows, really. 

. Yeah that s what i meant. Plus i’d like to share My thoughts about illegal downloads...I remember when as a teen i downloaded random gnr songs from NAPSTER and the Music was so great that i decided to buy the albums and then started to learn the songs on my guitar... same for other artists ... music industry is in trouble because their people dont do their job. Remember axl’s words: all they need is a star and a producer... they just dont look for good music or musicians anymore
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 01:18:19 AM »

. Yeah that s what i meant. Plus i’d like to share My thoughts about illegal downloads...I remember when as a teen i downloaded random gnr songs from NAPSTER and the Music was so great that i decided to buy the albums and then started to learn the songs on my guitar... same for other artists ... music industry is in trouble because their people dont do their job. Remember axl’s words: all they need is a star and a producer... they just dont look for good music or musicians anymore

Ha, I used Napster for bootlegs; It took me forever to download Coma live - 10 MB on a 56k modem - but it was worth it  drool
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »

Ha, I used Napster for bootlegs; It took me forever to download Coma live - 10 MB on a 56k modem - but it was worth it  drool

Was this from the Japanese version of 'Live Era'?   That really is a solid version. 

All the more considering that it was from Spring of 1993 and they hadn't played it a year.  But both band and Axl are sharp on it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »

I bought the Japanese version on CD from Tower Records JP online. If I remember right it cost me 5500 yen. The original US version I had gotten at the time had the first run error where the end of Paradise City played in reverse for the las few seconds and sounded like one of the "What happens when you listen to the White Album backwards?" things.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »

I bought the Japanese version on CD from Tower Records JP online. If I remember right it cost me 5500 yen. The original US version I had gotten at the time had the first run error where the end of Paradise City played in reverse for the las few seconds and sounded like one of the "What happens when you listen to the White Album backwards?" things.

Yup, I have that one, too.

AND my disc 2 is labeled as disc 1 and vice versa.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »

Yup, I have that one, too.

AND my disc 2 is labeled as disc 1 and vice versa.

A friend of mine got them labeled 1 and 2, but they were both disc 2's content.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »

That's sad. There's so much fucking amazing music out there, I buy loads to support bands and to have the physical items. Try buying an album a month for a year- a new release one each time. By the end of 2019 I pretty much guarantee you'll have a revived love of music. Part of that is that when you buy an album, it sort of forces you to go back to it, even if first listen didn'd do it for you. So many of my all time favourites I've not really 'got' at forst and would have given up on if I hadn't had the thing sat there looking at me.
I know many people don't agree- but I really dislike Spotify. Not just because of how little artists make from it, but because it makes the whole art form so disposable and encourages people to just flick through stuff without really listening in a lot of ways.

One of my greatest loves in life is looking through my CD and record collection, pulling out something and really listening to it- looking at the sleeve, the artwork, the whole concept of the release. It genuinely makes me sad that people don't feel that. Give that album a month thing a try- go for CDs and it's only 10 dollars a month- I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts through the year!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 07:10:30 AM »

That's sad. There's so much fucking amazing music out there, I buy loads to support bands and to have the physical items. Try buying an album a month for a year- a new release one each time. By the end of 2019 I pretty much guarantee you'll have a revived love of music. Part of that is that when you buy an album, it sort of forces you to go back to it, even if first listen didn'd do it for you. So many of my all time favourites I've not really 'got' at forst and would have given up on if I hadn't had the thing sat there looking at me.
I know many people don't agree- but I really dislike Spotify. Not just because of how little artists make from it, but because it makes the whole art form so disposable and encourages people to just flick through stuff without really listening in a lot of ways.

One of my greatest loves in life is looking through my CD and record collection, pulling out something and really listening to it- looking at the sleeve, the artwork, the whole concept of the release. It genuinely makes me sad that people don't feel that. Give that album a month thing a try- go for CDs and it's only 10 dollars a month- I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts through the year!
Agreed.
I counted a while ago that ive bought about 20 new releases this year. Plus some old records aswell. I love to buy music for the same reason.
Soon ill make a top 20 list of 2018 on here (bad obsession section)

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 09:14:38 PM »

Agreed.
I counted a while ago that ive bought about 20 new releases this year. Plus some old records aswell. I love to buy music for the same reason.

I'll look forward to reading that. These are two interesting opinion pieces on the topic that I totally agree with. For those who aren't aware HMV is a big music and film retailer in the UK that is currently in difficulty.
If it goes it will leave the UK music scene in a very odd and difficult place.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/30/demand-for-creativity-on-the-cheap-is-destroying-music-industry-hmv

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/dec/30/hmv-is-a-bedrock-of-the-british-music-industry-its-loss-would-affect-us-all

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2018, 09:14:04 AM »

Agreed.

I'll look forward to reading that. These are two interesting opinion pieces on the topic that I totally agree with. For those who aren't aware HMV is a big music and film retailer in the UK that is currently in difficulty.
If it goes it will leave the UK music scene in a very odd and difficult place.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/30/demand-for-creativity-on-the-cheap-is-destroying-music-industry-hmv

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/dec/30/hmv-is-a-bedrock-of-the-british-music-industry-its-loss-would-affect-us-all
Interesting read.
So basicly that one brand in the uk is keeping the cd business alive.

One thing i love about buying music is the record stores. Just spen a hour seeking music.
Last.summer i went to Tokyo they have tons of big record stores there. In europe they are mostly quite small now (amoeba in california is another example of a.great place)
In Tokyo there the last surviving tower records. The biggest onr is three storeys  big. I loved it. Big sections for every genre. Music magazines. T shirts. Posters. Meet and greets you name it.
Like amazon  but way better

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:12 PM »

You know you are getting old when "new" music to you is an album released 10 years ago.

"You dig what I'm saying?"

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »

Totally! I'm slow. I can discover "new" music released in 2005. But CD still sound great. I think we can call it timeless.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 11:53:11 AM »

You know you are getting old when "new" music to you is an album released 10 years ago.

"You dig what I'm saying?"

You're also ten years older than ten years ago.... Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: