Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227757 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUN
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUN  (Read 18972 times)
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2019, 01:33:04 AM »

Agreed. 

I think the best case scenario is that Axl takes the handful of songs he feels the strongest about, presents them to Slash and Duff, and they go from there.

You could really argue that's what they did with 'Better'.  Took a CD era song and put their stamp on how it was presented.

Even then, would Axl's best tracks amount to a full album? Probably not, so there would still be room for new material from Slash/Duff.

I mean, we saw this with Illusions, no? And they've all talked about it in interviews post break up.

They worked on some slash songs, some duff songs, some Izzy songs, and some Axl songs.  They all brought stuff to the table that the others then added their input and put their stamp on.

That's the way I would expect this to work, at least.  With AFD, it was different.  These guys were, by necessity (because they were broke), together almost 24x7. I don't think there can be any realistic expectation that THAT kind of organic collaboration is going to happen again, short of someone offering them 20 mill a piece for "Guns n Roses Big Brother".

I don't think we can even say if the different approaches really produce a different result. I mean, how is your contribution to an idea going to be different whether you hear the idea in person or over the web? And the idea has to come from one person initially. It's not like for AFD they were able to mind-meld and come up with ideas as a single entity. Slash wrote the riff for Rocket Queen when he was in a previous band with Steven and Duff. Road Crew, was it? And Anything Goes was from Hollywood Rose. By the standards of the people complaining about using old material, even AFD was an album of "re-heated leftovers".

Take Sweet Child. Slash had the intro riff and Izzy put some chords behind it. Would Izzy have written different chords if he heard that riff through an mp3 file? Of course not.

And then let's take Estranged, from the album where they allegedly did not really collaborate. Well, Axl said himself that Slash's leads really added a meaningful amount to it. Even though the bulk of it was written by Axl, Slash's contributions radically shaped it. If that is what we can expect from "re-heated CD leftovers", bring it the fuck on!

This is the way music is created now but  something is lost when it is created in that way. It sounds too 'perfect'

You can tell when something is recorded with all the members in the studio.  I very much miss that.

You can tell? Tell me more about this magical power that is certainly not confirmation bias!

I will 100% acknowledge, for me, it could be confirmation bias.

But my evidence that i prefer the old method is.....theres not much in todays music I love. Sure, there are occasional earwigs, but in terms of bands? It all sounds so commercial and  mechanical and just....idk...souless?

A big part of that, i am sure, is the industry and the way its evolved into prefab label bands, many of whom dont write their own stuff at all.

But i think part of it is...getting a group of people in the same room, at the same time, and creating together is sort of magical. There is something to be said for that immediate feedback, and riffing off one another, that yields different results. Other peoples work influences yours, and expands your creative space. It pushes you to be better, imho, but it also can push you outside your comfort zone and to try things you might not. There is something about the immediacy and spontenaity of that creative moment that can yield inspiration, and special results.....provided they are all actually collaborating toward the same goal.

So I do mourn the loss of that creative avenue.

Can I hear the difference, for sure, every time? Probably not.  Because I'm not sure how you hear "what would this song have sounded like if it had been written differently that it was".

To be clear: I am not saying your points are wrong, or bad..they are good ones. Estranged is a great example: you can certainly wrote good songs "remotely". And i expect any new gnr material to be good, and most of it to be written "remotely". Because thats the way things work now.

I'm just doing a little more standing on my lawn and shaking my fist at the sun.

There are modern bands who write collaboratively. Some are good (Alabama Shakes) and some are mediocre (Greta Van Fleet, IMO, not trying to start a war). There are also old bands who collaborated and the results were garbage.

I'm just saying, you can send a video or audio clip immediately for feedback, and there's no reason you can't be just as spontaneous without the other person in the room physically. With video chatting like Skype, there really isn't much difference.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2019, 07:16:38 AM »

There are modern bands who write collaboratively. Some are good (Alabama Shakes) and some are mediocre (Greta Van Fleet, IMO, not trying to start a war). There are also old bands who collaborated and the results were garbage.

I'm just saying, you can send a video or audio clip immediately for feedback, and there's no reason you can't be just as spontaneous without the other person in the room physically. With video chatting like Skype, there really isn't much difference.

So, honestly, this would be an interesting study. Because my hypothesis is...there is a difference.

I know that I see it in my field (IT) when brainstorming solutions.  We are a lot more productive/creative (and I hear this from colleagues, too) when we are "in the room" vs when we are on conference call (video or otherwise).  That's 100% anecdotal, though.

And I can't say its different in music.  I just don't know, its not my field.

But I would love to see some sort of study that looked at this.  It would be interesting to see the results.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

Believe it's called having a musical ear

I'm a musician who learned everything I know by ear. You cannot determine how a song was written by just by listening to it, that is utterly asinine, and it shouldn't take any knowledge of music to figure that out...

It seemed he was referring to sound of the recording and the mix - perhaps that was not the case

In many cases you can tell how it was recorded. For example, sometimes you get the bleed thru effect when all of the musicians are in the room. How a song was written is a different thing, my point is how it was recorded. The drummer's mic can pick up a small part of the bass guitar, etc. Im by no means a studio engineer, but sometimes you can tell.

Also of course the way it was produced / mixed is a big factor.

Maybe it is the middle aged mentality I have about music but I appreciate more of an organic sounding song ( even better if it was recorded on analog tape , if anyone even does that anymore VS something spliced and layered with pro-tools).  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:43:55 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »

So many ways of recording things nowadays.

Yes, if everyone is in the same room playing the same song and it's recorded, you might notice it because the drum mics might pick up other sounds.

But then again, each member could record their parts separately. I believe this is what GN'R has always done.

Not sure if you can tell the difference between that one versus people recording their parts in different studios though.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »

I'm really curious as to what the recording process will be later this year when they rev things up.  In theory, Axl may not have to do any further recording if the idea is to use what's already been recorded and have Slash & Duff rework them.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »

So, honestly, this would be an interesting study. Because my hypothesis is...there is a difference.

I know that I see it in my field (IT) when brainstorming solutions.  We are a lot more productive/creative (and I hear this from colleagues, too) when we are "in the room" vs when we are on conference call (video or otherwise).  That's 100% anecdotal, though.

And I can't say its different in music.  I just don't know, its not my field.

But I would love to see some sort of study that looked at this.  It would be interesting to see the results.

All I can say is that I also work in IT and especially in the past 6 months I've been involved in a project that is 100% Skype. Well, I have visited the other office a couple of times to meet the team. Still, there are a lot of meetings that I must talk with people that I have never met or at least not always sure if I have.

It's just not productive in a way it should be. Things get lost in translation. I mostly work from home and sometimes I realise I'm not actually even listening to what is being said. Surely, that could also happen when everyone is in the same room that you just drift with your own thoughts without anyone noticing.

I don't know the music business but I don't see how it could be possible that the songs are as cool as they could be if and when people are sending MP3s to each other. When in the room it's so much easier to communicate. It is just what it is.

Another example is that I'm meeting my friend abroad and we booked different hotels because of different travelling dates. I don't remember the name of his hotel to finalise the meeting point but he'll get back to me. Now I just wait. Had we been in the same room planning the trip I would've known the name in 30 seconds and we could've looked at the map together in an easy way.

Why wouldn't it be true in music and a better way to work that someone goes to toilet and meanwhile another band member says 'hey, can you come here quickly and check about this, what do you think.'
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2019, 01:52:20 PM »

So many ways of recording things nowadays.

Yes, if everyone is in the same room playing the same song and it's recorded, you might notice it because the drum mics might pick up other sounds.

But then again, each member could record their parts separately. I believe this is what GN'R has always done.

Not sure if you can tell the difference between that one versus people recording their parts in different studios though.....

/jarmo

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, but wasn't 100% sure.  I didn't think GNR had ever recorded (short of live material) as a full band.  I thought they'd always done "parts" recording and engineered them together...most bands since the mid to late 70's have recorded that way.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2019, 02:51:00 PM »

I'd say if it works, it works.

Pretty rare now that a band record in a room, all together at the same time. I honestly couldn't tell you how a lot of bands record though - I kind of feel it's a bit like seeing behind the scenes at the theatre. Interesting, to a degree, but it's the end product that matters and I enjoy largely forgetting the technical/realistic element in favour of simple enjoyment of the end product and a certain remove from it that allows for a 'romantic' perspective on the recording process.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »

I'd say if it works, it works.

Pretty rare now that a band record in a room, all together at the same time. I honestly couldn't tell you how a lot of bands record though - I kind of feel it's a bit like seeing behind the scenes at the theatre. Interesting, to a degree, but it's the end product that matters and I enjoy largely forgetting the technical/realistic element in favour of simple enjoyment of the end product and a certain remove from it that allows for a 'romantic' perspective on the recording process.

I give you that. I work for a big company that is quite well-known around the globe with apparently a lot of happy customers. Then at the same time behind the scenes not everything goes so smoothly while the end product is good.

This is the world we live in now.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »

Unfortunately most bands dont go out  and rent a house for the acoustics and record the album while there.....yes Im dating myself......

http://www.rockandrollgps.com/headley-grange-where-led-zeppelin-recorded-stairway-to-heaven-and-led-zeppelin-iv/

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »

Unfortunately most bands dont go out  and rent a house for the acoustics and record the album while there.....yes Im dating myself......

http://www.rockandrollgps.com/headley-grange-where-led-zeppelin-recorded-stairway-to-heaven-and-led-zeppelin-iv/

Reminded me of Brain's story of the recording of the drums for Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGsRv1JB1o

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »

In many cases you can tell how it was recorded. For example, sometimes you get the bleed thru effect when all of the musicians are in the room. How a song was written is a different thing, my point is how it was recorded. The drummer's mic can pick up a small part of the bass guitar, etc. Im by no means a studio engineer, but sometimes you can tell.

Maybe it is the middle aged mentality I have about music but I appreciate more of an organic sounding song ( even better if it was recorded on analog tape , if anyone even does that anymore VS something spliced and layered with pro-tools).  

Slash recorded his self titled solo album entirely on analog tape and said it cost an arm and a leg to do it. Since then, he hasn't again. IDK about the preceding albums (if anyone does, chime in).

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 05:31:01 AM »

Thanks Spirit....further proof that a lot more than 14 songs were recorded for Cd. He said about 30 in total. Tommy said 22 other songs recorded that were not on Chinese. Brain was a stud! Tommy was a stud!  hihi
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:37:32 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »

Slash recorded his self titled solo album entirely on analog tape and said it cost an arm and a leg to do it. Since then, he hasn't again. IDK about the preceding albums (if anyone does, chime in).

I have to say, when I play it, I can't actually tell the difference between that and one that isn't either!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 12:52:28 PM »

If I remember correctly, he has said that is was very expensive for the first solo album , but the following albums (SMKC) became cheaper because tape was becoming more available due demand.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 02:19:42 AM »

I have to say, when I play it, I can't actually tell the difference between that and one that isn't either!

It's really all in the production and mastering. All the following albums with Myles were produced/mixed like shit.

If I remember correctly, he has said that is was very expensive for the first solo album , but the following albums (SMKC) became cheaper because tape was becoming more available due demand.

Maybe so, that sounds vaguely familiar. If true, that really makes it all the more depressingly impressive that Baskette managed to make them sound like brickwalled digital crap.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »

DUFF MCKAGAN On GUNS N' ROSES: 'Things Are Very Positive In That World'

During an appearance on yesterday's (Thursday, March 28) episode of "The Rich Eisen Show", Duff McKagan was asked if he had an update on the upcoming GUNS N' ROSES studio album that he and guitarist Slash had previously confirmed was in the works. "Do I have an update on it? No," the bassist said (see video below). "I will say things are very positive in that world. I did say something about it in an interview. People are super interested in that, and I understand why. I do like the mystique factor of the band, and I shall keep it there. But things are positive… Things are great."

Duff added: "We had a wonderful, amazing two-and-a-half-year tour we just did, and it ended on such a high note, and it was overwhelming how many people came to see those shows. We played a hundred and fifty-nine shows. We played The Troubadour April 1st, 2016. And Axl [Rose, vocals] broke his foot, like, third song in, and I thought, Well, we've got this one show under our belt. We did this thing. And he wanted to continue on. He was, like, 'This isn't gonna stop me.' We played a bunch of shows with him in a cast in a chair, and we just went through so many revelations of things and ended that on a high note. And that's where we're still at."

Last month, McKagan told satellite radio program "Trunk Nation" that he "heard some magnificent stuff that Axl has — really cool stuff he'd been working on" for GUNS' next record. "So I'm excited about the possibilities with that, of course. I don't mean to get anybody rabid. [A new album] will happen when it happens, that's for sure."

Both Slash and fellow guitarist Richard Fortus have said in recent interviews that there is material in the works for a new GUNS album, which would be the first under the band's name since 2008's "Chinese Democracy". The last collection of original music to feature Axl, Slash and McKagan was 1991's "Use Your Illusion" albums, and the last LP of any kind to feature the three was the 1993 covers set "The Spaghetti Incident?"

McKagan's new solo album, "Tenderness", will be released on May 31. The record sees Duff reflecting on his experiences traveling the globe on GUNS N' ROSES' "Not In This Lifetime" tour.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-on-guns-n-roses-things-are-very-positive-in-that-world/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: