Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Should GnR songs be played?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should GnR songs be played?  (Read 20734 times)
sandman
Legend

« on: April 19, 2019, 09:04:30 PM »

The Yankees r no longer playing Kate Smith because of a song with racist lyrics she recorded back in 1930’s. It was considered satire and was written by a black artist, but yankees r still playing it safe in light of this “new” info.

GnR has comments in One in a Million that r as racist as it gets.

Should sports teams, or even radio, stop playing all gnr songs???

Do you think it will get to that point where we will no longer hear gnr songs in any public domain?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-kate-smith-god-bless-america-20190418-wfkyednrvrherh57sfmb4h7s5y-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Article for reference.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »

Most people seem largely unaware of One In Million now really. It could easily blow up into a scandal at any tine though for sure- that's the way things to go now, as evidenced by this story. Stuff gets jumped on, usually as a result of something going viral.

I suppose it could happen- but fuck it if it does  I could live without hearing SCOM played at shit bars and clubs ever again!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:21:54 PM »

Wow, you can't even read your own linked article? There was more racism in her history than that one song.

And the defense of "it's satire" doesn't make it not racist. Satire can be racist. Are you new to Earth or something?

Also, it was not written by a black man, it was written by two white men, Ray Henderson and Lew Brown.

Oh wait, you misrepresented it on purpose because you are a pathetic and desperate ideologue seeking to score cheap political points and failing miserably. How silly of me.  Roll Eyes

As to your fallacious emotional appeal by linking this to GNR, I could care less what venues play their music. Nobody is stopping anyone from purchasing it for their own listening pleasure, whether it's One in a Million or "That's why Darkies were Born".

Now are you done embarrassing yourself with these games yet?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »

Should sports teams,.........., stop playing all gnr songs???

How will football players know when it's time to kick off if they stop playing GNR songs??    Huh

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »

Wow, you can't even read your own linked article? There was more racism in her history than that one song.

And the defense of "it's satire" doesn't make it not racist. Satire can be racist. Are you new to Earth or something?

Also, it was not written by a black man, it was written by two white men, Ray Henderson and Lew Brown.

Oh wait, you misrepresented it on purpose because you are a pathetic and desperate ideologue seeking to score cheap political points and failing miserably. How silly of me.  Roll Eyes

As to your fallacious emotional appeal by linking this to GNR, I could care less what venues play their music. Nobody is stopping anyone from purchasing it for their own listening pleasure, whether it's One in a Million or "That's why Darkies were Born".

rofl rofl rofl

sandman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 12:11:58 AM »

Most people seem largely unaware of One In Million now really. It could easily blow up into a scandal at any tine though for sure- that's the way things to go now, as evidenced by this story. Stuff gets jumped on, usually as a result of something going viral.

I suppose it could happen- but fuck it if it does  I could live without hearing SCOM played at shit bars and clubs ever again!

Exactly. Someone could decide to post those lyrics and if it goes viral, there could be real problems.

Axl is not racist but he defended his right to use the N-word. That shit doesn’t fly today.

I like hearing gnr on the radio. Especially with sirius playing the stuff that were released last year. For me, it would really suck if this happened. Could also kill any hope for a new album.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 12:14:37 AM »

rofl rofl rofl

I accept your concession, no need to be such a sore loser, cupcake.   Kiss

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 12:16:30 AM »

Exactly. Someone could decide to post those lyrics and if it goes viral, there could be real problems.

Axl is not racist but he defended his right to use the N-word. That shit doesn’t fly today.

I like hearing gnr on the radio. Especially with sirius playing the stuff that were released last year. For me, it would really suck if this happened. Could also kill any hope for a new album.

He absolutely was racist when he wrote that song. Luckily, he's grown up and learned from the error of his ways. Unlike you, who defends racism by claiming that saying the N-word isn't racist. Derp.  drool

sandman
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 12:19:09 AM »

He absolutely was racist when he wrote that song. Luckily, he's grown up and learned from the error of his ways. Unlike you, who defends racism by claiming that saying the N-word isn't racist. Derp.  drool

Settle down, kid. There’s adults in the room.

inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 02:09:46 AM »

Honestly, people just need to lighten the fuck up. Waaay too sensitive nowadays, and it’s not making things better. Fact

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 03:03:37 AM »

Most people seem largely unaware of One In Million now really.  It could easily blow up into a scandal at any tine though for sure

Yeah, the controversy surrounding "One in a Million" had its day in court 30 years ago, and it's all quite remote now.   Though if publicized, it could still ignite some hellfire today -- hence the reason the band decided not to include it on the recent reissues. 

Anyone could easily find the lyrics for "One in a Million" online, but I doubt many would care at this point given the band's lack of relevance to today's popular culture, who are only familiar with the hits, e.g. "Sweet Child o Mine", "Welcome to the Jungle", and "Paradise City" -- the only songs played at sporting events, radio, or anywhere else really.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:42:01 AM by Bridge » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 06:21:34 AM »

He absolutely was racist when he wrote that song.

Obviously you have no idea, and didn't even pay attention to all the lyrics in the song.

To answer the original question: No. That would be extremely silly. To even make the connection to what's going on with the Yankees to GN'R is far fetched and almost like you're looking for some kind of reaction.

By the way, the Flyers covered up her statue.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »

The covered statue is like really really creepy!!!!  nervous

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »

The Yankees r no longer playing Kate Smith because of a song with racist lyrics she recorded back in 1930’s. It was considered satire and was written by a black artist, but yankees r still playing it safe in light of this “new” info.

Do you think it will get to that point where we will no longer hear gnr songs in any public domain?

Maybe I should not watch the Naked Gun movies anymore since OJ brutally sliced and diced an innocent man & woman
 confused
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:48:12 PM by COMAMOTIVE » Logged
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »

Maybe I should not watch the Naked Gun movies anymore since OJ brutally sliced and diced an innocent man & woman
 confused

Allegedly  Wink
sandman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »

He absolutely was racist when he wrote that song.

Obviously you have no idea, and didn't even pay attention to all the lyrics in the song.

To answer the original question: No. That would be extremely silly. To even make the connection to what's going on with the Yankees to GN'R is far fetched and almost like you're looking for some kind of reaction.

/jarmo

I never thought axl was racist. I think his actions made that obvious.

I agree it would be silly if gnr ever gets banned. But in today’s world, it would not shock me one bit.

Yes, the flyers banning kate smith and covering up her statue has been all over the news and social media for days. Its kinda pathetic they decided to do all that.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »

confused

Allegedly  Wink

Yep
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 12:00:03 AM »

To the original question:

It is not individual teams that decide whether/which GNR songs to play, but rather the league itself.

How that process works is a mystery to me, but I know that Jungle being played at every single NFL game is not a coincidence but rather a licensing deal arranged by the powers that be in the league office.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 12:57:03 AM »

Settle down, kid. There’s adults in the room.

Aww, widdle baby sounds Triggered!  rofl

Once again, you cannot respond because you know you're wrong and I've proven it beyond a shadow of a doubt. You're have nothing to say. Don't be such a sore loser.

Honestly, people just need to lighten the fuck up. Waaay too sensitive nowadays, and it’s not making things better. Fact

You mean "Opinion. And a dumb one."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:59:42 AM by PermissionToLand » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: