Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's depression
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's depression  (Read 3609 times)
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« on: July 13, 2019, 06:33:24 AM »

I've always read here and there some comments about Axl's depression, but I've never actually read anything more complete about it. Does anyone have a full article or something that talks better about this period of axl's life?

Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »

It’s not about depression, but he talks about personal stuff in those old Rolling Stone interviews.
I’d love to hear from him nowadays, a decent and proper interview. I’d not even mind if he didn’t want to talk about how the reunion happened or the new album. I just wanted to know where he’s at right now and what he thinks about...stuff, the world, ya know?
THeRoCK2
Banned
Opening Act

hi!

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 07:59:45 AM »

From what I've learned the past decades he was suffering under bad obsessions like everyone.
He climbed out of that in ignoring the circle of replaying thoughts. There is no solution, and however often
you find new explanations of explaining world your answer is never satisfying.

Its like your soul is tempted by wisdom to define feelings. But feelings are so complex that Axl found foritself
you can't math if you find yourself within her eyes. It's like the seeker that we will not find until we're dead.

You can accept those weakness in kognivity or study psychology to have illusional knowledge.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE, WE DO!
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »

From what I've learned the past decades he was suffering under bad obsessions like everyone.

I can only imagine the pressure that comes to surround someone achieving Appetite-level success at such a young age, but the level of interpersonal and legal difficulty that Axl became involved in back in the day seemed to go well beyond the typical person's.  Yeah a lot of rock/pop stars act out as a result of new money or drugs and the kind of quasi-narcissism that accompanies any kind of power, and sure anybody can have an unlucky day, but the performers who get into more serious trouble within themselves or with others usually have something else in their head.  With Axl I've always read Bipolar Disorder, which is often what laypeople and even some mental health professionals mistake in place of Borderline Personality Disorder. 

BPD originates through a combination of genetic predisposition and significant childhood stress such as abuse or neglect.  It involves:
1) An intense fear of abandonment, often going to extreme measures to avoid real (or imagined) separation & rejection.
2) A pattern of unstable intense relationships, such as idealizing someone one moment and then suddenly believing the person doesn't care enough or is cruel (aka splitting)
3) An unstable sens of self that may change rapidly, including shifting goals and values or seeing oneself as bad / worthless
4) Short, stress-related 'microbreaks' -- periods of paranoia and loss of contact with reality
5) Impulsive and risky behavior such as reckless driving, unsafe sex, spending sprees, binge eating or drug abuse, or sabotaging success by suddenly quitting a good job or ending a positive relationship
6) Suicidal threats or behavior or self-injury, often in response to fear of separation or rejection
7) Mood swings lasting hours to days, which can include intense happiness, irritability, shame or anxiety
8 ) Persistent feelings of emptiness
9) Inappropriate and intense anger, such as frequently losing your temper, being sarcastic or bitter, and having physical confrontations

The consequences of these has a major impact of a person's life as manifested by:
1) Repeated job changes or losses
2) Not completing an education
3) Multiple legal issues, such as jail time
4) Conflict-filled relationships, marital stress or divorce
5) Self-injury, such as cutting or burning, and frequent hospitalizations
6) Involvement in abusive relationships
7) Unplanned pregnancies, sexually transmitted infections, motor vehicle accidents and physical fights due to impulsive/risky behavior
8 ) Attempted or even completed suicide

People with the condition have a relatively high risk of suffering from other serious mental health disorders such as:
1) Depression
2) Alcohol or other substance misuse
3) Anxiety disorders
4) Eating disorders
5) Bipolar disorder
6) Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
7) Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
8 ) Other personality disorders

Personality disorders are hard because they are less about correcting some neurotransmitter deficit and more about changing something very fundamental about a person.  BPD is 'cure-able' though... years of therapy, management of those co-morbid conditions, and learning how to limit the secondary harm resulting from the condition.  I'm not knocking him, he's a genius and a remarkable person.  But I would challenge anyone knowledgeable of the man and GNR history to read the above and honestly say that description doesn't fit Axl Rose like a glove.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »

During one of the shows - I think it was in the Middle East - on the NOTL tour he made a remark about something 'having to do with his ADHD'. I think I read about it on here, and I have definitely heard him say it in the clip.

So I guess that's as recent as it gets. He did mention BPD in the Rolling Stone article but later dismissed that somewhere (I don't remember where). The younger Axl seems very much ADHD to me since I recognize a lot of it in him (I have been diagnosed ADHD). But that's something that wasn't really well known back in the 80's.

But tbh I have no clue.... Wink

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
THeRoCK2
Banned
Opening Act

hi!

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »

i never learned to pick up chicks so i made a beautiful november rain.
do you think this is a personal statement to his youth?

sail away sweet sister...

atleast it had sex! and whatever youll say atleast it had sex!  beer

I feel like Axl's words are coming out of my mouth?
Would you consider this as praying gift in our lovely web or as illness?
Pls tell me, my mind wouldnt say!

god bless you jarmo ok

saw a picture where you were next to axl!, how is he? Grin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:58:25 PM by THeRoCK2 » Logged

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »

They're out to get me...

Or at least that would have been the case in the Golden era. However you badge it up, Axl and the others would have had the world wanting a piece of 'em and that would lean heavily on anyone.  Any mind related issues would be magnified and its to all of their credit that somehow they are all here today, even if it has been a close shave at times.
THeRoCK2
Banned
Opening Act

hi!

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 04:08:46 AM »

back then I had always thought Axl is kinda untouchable strong.
read somewhere after the 94's meeting with the boss he spend alot of time in bed beeing lethargic.

then back on the road in 99 on NBA finals in philly.
think he learned something and changed somehow, still searching for an answer how powerfull he is.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: