Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:54:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227757 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses  (Read 2634 times)
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« on: November 13, 2019, 05:54:19 AM »

Hawkins actually had a chance to bail on the Foos even before that. The band were in
London in support of There Is Nothing Left To Lose when he got a call from his mom
back in the States. Someone from Guns N’ Roses management had called asking for him.

“Axl was trying to get together a new version of Guns N’ Roses, and I think he was checking
around for people,” he says. “They wanted to know if I would come in and try out or whatever.
It was kind of otherworldly.”

Hawkins did what anyone did: he called Roger Taylor for advice. Here he slips into another
impression, that of a well-heeled British rock star. “He said, ‘Mate, let me tell you a story…’”

The story was that, in the early 70s, Taylor was approached by former Mott The Hoople
singer Ian Hunter and guitarist Mick Ronson. Queen had supported Mott on tour, and the
pair wanted to recruit him for their post-Mott band. They were going to call it Hunter
Ronson Taylor.

The drummer considered the offer. Queen had yet to break into the superstar bracket,
and the offer was tempting. But he had too much belief in the band to desert it. He
couldn’t imagine being onstage and looking up and not seeing Freddie Mercury or
Brian May in front of him.

“And he said, ‘I see you and Dave onstage and there’s something you can’t buy there.
There’s something between you guys that might not be there with Axl Rose.’ And he was right.’”

https://www.loudersound.com/features/taylor-hawkins-how-i-nearly-joined-guns-n-roses-and-other-stories

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »

Taylor would be amazing in Guns N' Roses, but had he signed on in that 1999 time frame, he wouldn't still be there and the direction of the new band would have been totally different (unless he was replaced by Brain). It's actually interesting trying to connect dots to figure out what things would look like if a certain member didn't join along the way.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »

I don't think he'd have been a good fit at that time - remember the sound was going very 'industrial'....

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »

I don't think he'd have been a good fit at that time - remember the sound was going very 'industrial'....

Sure but one thing is the "sound", another thing is the song itself. Silkworms, Oh my god and Shackler's Revenge are probably the only ones you can call "industrial' songs. Better and Chinese Democracy have an "industrial" riff but at the end of the day they are more rock than industrial. I think he would have had his chances to get the job.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: