Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  OPEN LETTER TO FERNANDO
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OPEN LETTER TO FERNANDO  (Read 41744 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »

Given the clusterfuck  that was the release of CD, once bitten twice shy and all that.

There's only one chance of releasing this properly covering all angles, can't see a best buy type deal being the major player this time.

Maybe a win a week at Axl's house golden ticket and $250,000 type competition with every purchase reaping dividends...

On physical releases, signed copies that are sealed and just out there would be cool, for unsuspecting buyers to get. Even better if limited to say 50 per band member on a unique hologram insert.

I mean, those ideas would be fun.....but there really isn't a need. A new album would sell regardless. Bands A LOT smaller than GNR release albums physically and successfully all the time.

Package it nicely, market and advertise it correctly and watch it fly!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2020, 01:19:02 PM »

If the idea was to put out an album in time to support the upcoming tour, like Fernando said, shouldn't they have that all figured out by now?

Album? Once again you're thinking of how things used to be!  Tongue

I don't think it's a question of if, it's more about how and when. But you're hung up on the if.....

/jarmo

With good reason  Wile E. Coyote boasts a better success rate.  

Best advice is probably don't overthink it.  Hope they come close enough to your town, so you might get a nice night out with fellow fans listening to the tunes you all dig.  Be happy with that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »

Given the clusterfuck  that was the release of CD, once bitten twice shy and all that.

There's only one chance of releasing this properly covering all angles, can't see a best buy type deal being the major player this time.

Maybe a win a week at Axl's house golden ticket and $250,000 type competition with every purchase reaping dividends...

On physical releases, signed copies that are sealed and just out there would be cool, for unsuspecting buyers to get. Even better if limited to say 50 per band member on a unique hologram insert.

There will always be a reason NOT to do something.  Several of them, really, if you really want to put as many obstacles in your way as possible.

Question comes down to what do you want.  Do you want to make it happen?  Or do you want to come up with enough rationalizations that you feel you can sell throwing up your hands in mock exasperation?

Axl has been doing the latter for 10 years now.  18 out of the last 19, really, if you want to discount the year something accidentally snuck out.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »

Don't overthink it? Albums?

Are you guys even aware that album sales keep declining year after year?

Vinyls sell more year after year. It's the only album format where sales have increased.

Universal Music is a business. Telling them to "just release it" doesn't exactly seem like a viable option.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »

Vinyls sell more year after year. It's the only album format where sales have increased.

Universal Music is a business. Telling them to "just release it" doesn't exactly seem like a viable option.

/jarmo

The other option is of course individual songs.....but I can't think of one artist who doesn't still release albums. They still sell, hugely. Not at 80s/90s levels of course, but for example- last year in the UK alone vinyl albums sold 4.3 million, and CD albums 23.5 million. That's just the physical (i.e. not including streaming), in one country!

If they want to just do individual songs though, fair enough! Fans could compile them up as they liked.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 02:04:53 PM »

/jarmo

Guess they are only willing to throw money away on every act on their roster.  When it comes to GNR, then...belt tightening time.  Gotcha.

The sheer lengths you will go to, the pretzels you will twist yourself into, all to avoid dare saying anything the least bit critical will never not be amusing, Jarmo.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »

/jarmo

No one's saying just throw it out there.  We are saying that enough time has gone by since early 2016 that they should have these logistics of an album release more or less figured out by now.  Going by Slash's comments, they've allowed themselves to slip back into the same weird state of limbo we've been for the last 10 years in regard to a follow up to Chinese Democracy.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

Slash on new music, released today.  

“There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.”

Well, that definitely doesn't sound like the words of a band who's about to release music. Hell, going by that comment it's not happening at all, at least not soon. I don't understand why GNR is the only band with this problem.  You have new music but you're not sure what to do with it? Here's a solution: JUST FUCKING RELEASE IT LIKE EVERY OTHER FUNCTIONING GOD DAMN BAND.......

Honestly, things are only as difficult as you make it fellas.

Hahahaha.  This fucking band.  You just have to laugh. Bands release stuff every week of every year.  Not our guys though.

Our guys are the rock band equivalent to North Korea.  Both have the good (nukes, new music) but can't figure out a simple delivery system (a functioning rocket, a simple album release).

hihi hihi
Honestly - - it is all insanity - and these days I laugh more than I get frustrated

On the topic of new music - it is what it is - which is nothing - but nothing is what they're saying about it so nothing could be something - after we accept the fact that saying nothing really should be viewed as something

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 02:14:43 PM »

Guess they are only willing to throw money away on every act on their roster.  When it comes to GNR, then...belt tightening time.  Gotcha.

The sheer lengths you will go to, the pretzels you will twist yourself into, all to avoid dare saying anything the least bit critical will never not be amusing, Jarmo.

This is your personal twist on what I said.

I didn't say they throw away money on all other acts or that they would or wouldn't do the same for GN'R.

I pointed out that they are a business and I'm sure they want to maximize the profits of something as big as new GN'R music. It's not just another album. As it's been pointed out already.

So if it's not just another album, why do you guys keep insisting on it being treated as one?
Slightly contradicting!

No one's saying just throw it out there.  We are saying that enough time has gone by since early 2016 that they should have these logistics of an album release more or less figured out by now.  Going by Slash's comments, they've allowed themselves to slip back into the same weird state of limbo we've been for the last 10 years in regard to a follow up to Chinese Democracy.

You make it sound like record companies have these plans years in advance for potential new releases.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:16:39 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »

Only GNR would stall completely on putting out a record rather than, you know, figuring out the logistics necessary to make said release a reality.

It's like, oh, you mean it's 2020 and people don't consume music the same way as 1992?  We are so totally blindsided by this and will now place this album neatly back into a state of limbo.  But hey, we'll be playing Paradise City all year!  Fork it over fuckers!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2020, 02:23:21 PM »

Who said anything about stalling completely?

You're taking his answer like if they have no idea, that they are completely lost and have basically decided to give up.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »

GNR has been a strict touring operation for over 10 years now.  That's who they are.

At least they are doing it with a more legit version of the band these past 4 years.  That's a good thing.  Celebrate that.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2020, 02:26:07 PM »

You make it sound like record companies have these plans years in advance for potential new releases.

/jarmo

No, I'm just saying that they should not appear shocked and bewildered that in 2020 people consume music differently.   Any other band would ride those waves and figure it out. GNR tends to use it as a "get out of jail free" card.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »

You're taking his answer like if they have no idea, that they are completely lost and have basically decided to give up.

Is there a chance this all a big swerve, and the plans are already in place, and won't we all be surprised and happy in a few months?  Sure...I guess.  If that is your coping strategy.  Embrace that possibility if it spares you the horror of expressing doubt or criticism.

There is a far better chance they play a bunch of tour dates this year, nothing new comes, and that's that.  So we deal with it.  It's not the worst outcome by any stretch.  But it's not the preferred one, be serious.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »

No, I'm just saying that they should not appear shocked and bewildered that in 2020 people consume music differently.   Any other band would ride those waves and figure it out. GNR tends to use it as a "get out of jail free" card.

They're not.

Maybe they just wanna see what alternatives they have compared to "put it out on CD/LP/digital".....

Is there a chance this all a big swerve, and the plans are already in place, and won't we all be surprised and happy in a few months?  Sure...I guess.  If that is your coping strategy.  Embrace that possibility if it spares you the horror of expressing doubt or criticism.

There is a far better chance they play a bunch of tour dates this year, nothing new comes, and that's that.  So we deal with it.  It's not the worst outcome by any stretch.  But it's not the preferred one, be serious.

Anything's possible!

You choose to assume #2 in January.... I choose not to.

/jarmo

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2020, 02:37:50 PM »

/jarmo

To be fair Jarmo Slash’s comments do suggest they don’t know how to proceed with a release with the industry the way it is.

But why is it albums are released all the time by other artists? You can’t just say that it’s complicated because the label will want to maximise profits. We all know a Guns album will sell and sell VERY well. There’s something holding things up in my view. Wasn’t there a rumour not so long back that the issue is the label refusing to give in to Axl’s promotion demands?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2020, 02:37:55 PM »

Is there a chance this all a big swerve, and the plans are already in place, and won't we all be surprised and happy in a few months?  Sure...I guess.  If that is your coping strategy.  Embrace that possibility if it spares you the horror of expressing doubt or criticism.

There is a far better chance they play a bunch of tour dates this year, nothing new comes, and that's that.  So we deal with it.  It's not the worst outcome by any stretch.  But it's not the preferred one, be serious.

How do you solve a "problem" that's self-created (asking for a friend)?  Enjoy the hits on the upcoming tour.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »

To be fair Jarmo Slash’s comments do suggest they don’t know how to proceed with a release with the industry the way it is.

I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.”

To me it sounds like they haven't decided on the how at the moment.

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.”

To me it sounds like they haven't decided on the how at the moment.

/jarmo

I wonder how much time that will buy them/him/whoever.  Roll Eyes
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »

I wonder how much time that will buy them/him/whoever.  Roll Eyes

When is your deadline? End of March wasn't it?

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: