Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227779 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  OPEN LETTER TO FERNANDO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OPEN LETTER TO FERNANDO  (Read 41408 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 04:00:33 PM »

Axl Rose stated in December 2006 that the scheduled release date for CD was March 6, 2007 - straight from the horse's mouth. 

No, he did not. It was clearly a tentative date.

"With that being said, this is not a promise, a lie or a guarantee, but we do wish to announce a tentative release date of March 6" was the actual quote and that was interpreted as a final set date by some.

Just like what people are doing now. Some things don't change....

In addition, it does look like 2020 is a different new chapter in the band's history. So why people have almost given up hope in January feels like deja vu to me. Remember 2008?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:02:49 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »

In addition, it does look like 2020 is a different new chapter in the band's history. So why people have almost given up hope in January feels like deja vu to me. Remember 2008?

/jarmo

Hopefully in 2020 we'll no longer require Dr. Pepper to pry out a hopeful statement from Axl regarding the new album.  hihi
cineater
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 04:28:31 PM »

I'm thinking Twist and Spin would be a good song topic and title.  "Can't control it, I'd rather just shut up."  We could all bang our heads to it.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 05:11:36 PM »

I can honestly understand why GNR doesn't come out and announce things because they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Their will be a portion of fans like us who would bust a nut hearing new news of an album or song or when they do announce concert dates. But then you have Mainstream fans who will come out and Say Axl sucks he sounds like Mickey or Minnie Mouse or this isn't Guns N Roses if its not Izzy and Steven in the band. So I don't believe it has anything to do with not respecting GNR fans why else would they continue to tour around the world and places they have never been before to sold out shows without new songs and still sell out.

I think its a fair statement in this day and age with social media coverage is that their is really nothing to gain by saying oh here is where we are at or when this album is coming out. They do things on their terms and I actually respect that.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »

Axl Rose stated in December 2006 that the scheduled release date for CD was March 6, 2007 - straight from the horse's mouth. 

Just like what people are doing now. Some things don't change....

/jarmo

While certainly not on the level of a new album, but it's worth pointing out that completely out of the blue we got a bizarre cartoon and a "Rock the Rock" tune. I mention this only because no one saw it coming, it wasn't discussed, it wasn't promoted, advertised, whatever.

It just happened.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »

But then you have Mainstream fans who will come out and Say Axl sucks he sounds like Mickey or Minnie Mouse or this isn't Guns N Roses if its not Izzy and Steven in the band.

The stuff about Axl's voice, I do think that is just an online hardcore thing.  I don't think mainstream fans go that deep.

As to your second point, I can't say I see that one.  People considered this Guns N' Roses.  That's why they were in stadiums here.  When it was the Island Of Misfit Toys Era, which people absolutely did NOT consider Guns N' Roses, they were playing "up close and personal" venues, 1/10th of the size.

So long as you have Axl & Slash, people consider this Guns N' Roses.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »

I can honestly understand why GNR doesn't come out and announce things because they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Their will be a portion of fans like us who would bust a nut hearing new news of an album or song or when they do announce concert dates. But then you have Mainstream fans who will come out and Say Axl sucks he sounds like Mickey or Minnie Mouse or this isn't Guns N Roses if its not Izzy and Steven in the band. So I don't believe it has anything to do with not respecting GNR fans why else would they continue to tour around the world and places they have never been before to sold out shows without new songs and still sell out.

I think its a fair statement in this day and age with social media coverage is that their is really nothing to gain by saying oh here is where we are at or when this album is coming out. They do things on their terms and I actually respect that.

Regarding news of an album, it doesn't have to be damned if they do, damned if they don't.  They put themselves in that situation by making vague comments (look very serious in that regard, CD2 already recorded, 6 months, etc.) and then not following through and then turning it on us that we're ungrateful fans demanding things we were never promised.

Take Pearl Jam for example.  They just announced a new album.  Releasing in March.  Does anyone think they won't follow through with that?  No.  They're not damned if they do, damned if they don't.  That problem is unique to GnR.  There is a ton to be gained by announcing a release date of an album...but only if you mean it.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »

Regarding news of an album, it doesn't have to be damned if they do, damned if they don't.  They put themselves in that situation by making vague comments (look very serious in that regard, CD2 already recorded, 6 months, etc.) and then not following through and then turning it on us that we're ungrateful fans demanding things we were never promised.

Take Pearl Jam for example.  They just announced a new album.  Releasing in March.  Does anyone think they won't follow through with that?  No.  They're not damned if they do, damned if they don't.  That problem is unique to GnR.  There is a ton to be gained by announcing a release date of an album...but only if you mean it.

This...All of this is pure gold. Spot on my friend.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 06:05:59 PM »

Yeah, that pretty much hits it on the head.  Good stuff, GK.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »

Yeah, I've never bought into that "Woe is GNR" mentality.  With that outlook, they never have to lift a damn finger and there's nothing heaven or hell can do about it. Weak.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 06:28:29 PM »

Yeah, I've never bought into that "Woe is GNR" mentality.  With that outlook, they never have to lift a damn finger and there's nothing heaven or hell can do about it. Weak.

It's a coping strategy.  Flat out.  It's what people tell themselves to avoid having to say anything critical.

I remember joking a couple years back that some folks post like Axl Claus is reading all these posts and making "naughty" and "nice" lists.

Or that they are going to get some sort of "loyal fan" badge by never speaking out of turn.  It's crazyness.

rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »

Maybe I was wrong for saying lack of respect but there definitely a lack of communication. When you do get something it is very vague and not to the point.

Rizzo160
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:55 AM »

While certainly not on the level of a new album, but it's worth pointing out that completely out of the blue we got a bizarre cartoon and a "Rock the Rock" tune. I mention this only because no one saw it coming, it wasn't discussed, it wasn't promoted, advertised, whatever.

It just happened.

Yes. Just more proof that just because something's not talked about or made public, that things still can happen!

They don't need to say a single word until everything is final and ready. All it takes is a press release, a tweet or something. But they're not gonna update for the sake of having updates if they don't feel like it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »

You can also throw into the music the modern phenomenon of music clickbait news sites, who leap on any slight comment as something t roll a story out from. In fact, I went for a drink with a friend of mine who is a big music fan, but nt a GNR fan at all. He said "oh I saw in the news that one of the band, can't remember his name, has confirmed a new album is out this year". He was referring to the recent Fortus interview, and I corrected him, but I think it's pretty telling of the way any slight ambiguity is taken and run with.

It's probably the vagueness that draws people in, leads them to make conclusions (whether they make them personally or a poor article makes them for them) then leads to frustration when the conclusion doesn't work out that way.

It would probably be better to take a "we're not working on anything" approach, whether it's true or not, and let people be surprised down the line.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2020, 08:20:10 AM »

the real subject here is :

what's the good distance you keep your fans at?

Axl being a Roger Waters fan, I'm pretty sure he was sensitized
a long time ago to the matter with The Wall and how to deal with it.

GNR was always a band who keep things quiet until things are done.
no longtime fan could be surprise about that, it is what it is since day one.

it's never a good idea to be too close to your fanbase.

first, if you have millions of followers, surely there's one or two enough
crazy to want to harm you or your family for whatever demented reason.

two, it kills the mystic, people needs to dream about rockstars lifestyles
because they work in a shitty place. nobody wants to see Axl washing his feet
in a bathrobe (except the lunatics of my first point).

the only thing I could ask is more "behind the scenes" stuff like Metallica
does a lot, you don't have to deal with fans and it shows then how it works.
and the more you show them how it works, the more they understand, and the
more they keep things in perspective.

that said, Guns N'Roses is a lazy beast.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »

it's never a good idea to be too close to your fanbase.

Sure, but it's not a good idea to be too far to your fanbase either. rofl rofl
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 08:38:49 AM »

The thing that always gets lost is that this is art we are talking about.

Axl likes things to be just so, where as, most would accept good enough is close enough. Axl's vision is something of an enigma, that usually delivers what it was always going to be.  Its kinda like the story why George Lucas was waiting for the  technology to catch-up with his vision for future editions of Star wars.

This is how I see this version of GnR is going to be, Slash and Duff will only stay on board if future releases are going happen, Axl will sign off on perfection, which studio work makes possible, the TB are to make things happen when all the ducks are in a row. CD and the farce release, will have made sure lessons will be learned.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 09:19:45 AM »

What we're talking about in this thread is accountability. Even if it was just an off the cuff comment Fernando made in a chat room, saying the first GNR album in nearly 12 years, let alone the first with Slash and Duff since 1991, is coming "within the next 6 months" is a BIG FUCKING DEAL.  Certainly not something that should just be swept under the carpet if it's not real.  We're just asking for some kind of update on that front, positive or negative.  I don't think that's asking a lot.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »

Yes. "If it's not real". We don't know yet. This open letter comes too soon. Still not been six months.

I believe we will have new music in time for the first leg of the tour.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »

We're just asking for some kind of update on that front, positive or negative.  I don't think that's asking a lot.

So based on the answer, what will your action(s) be?

Let's say the answer is: "Yes, before the end of March". What will happen to you personally, versus if the answer is "No, not before the end of March"?

I mean, the answer isn't about whether or not new music will come out sooner than end of March, or never. As far as I know, never isn't an option....

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: